Macyn's Golden Gloves Gym(or,Intresting ways to Characterize fighting styles!)

A place to discuss game rules, homebrew systems and the like.
MacynSnow

Re: Macyn's Golden Gloves Gym(or,Intresting ways to Characterize fighting styles!)

Post by MacynSnow »

Ok,i can take a hint...my next style will be my take on Swordsmanship and some of the various version's.Which one's do you all think the Gym should show?

Edit:I'm limiting the number to 5 Version's of the Swordsmanship Style,i have a life outside of Research you bunch o'Heathens....:D
Last edited by MacynSnow on Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Batgirl III

Re: Macyn's Golden Gloves Gym(or,Intresting ways to Characterize fighting styles!)

Post by Batgirl III »

Katanas-Aren’t-Magic Ryu. The school of Japanese swordsmanship that reminds people that a sharpened steel bar doesn’t actually have mystical properties above and beyond those of other sharpened steel bars just because it was made by inscrutable orientals.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:46 pm Katanas-Aren’t-Magic Ryu. The school of Japanese swordsmanship that reminds people that a sharpened steel bar doesn’t actually have mystical properties above and beyond those of other sharpened steel bars just because it was made by inscrutable orientals.
If you've noticed in my Previous builds BG,i tend to avoid the whole Mystical mumbo-jumbo.I'd perfer to just relay as much true Historical information as i can find,then give my opinion on what i think said Style would have....
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

In a more serious sense, if you want to limit yourself to five styles of swordsmanship, I'd say you can pretty much group all of them into a few broad categories, with notes that individual weapons/eras/teachers will emphasize different aspects of them slightly, but generally speaking they all boil down to using roughly similar weapons in roughly similar ways for roughly the same purpose.
  • One-Handed Double-Edged Swords, including but not limited to the European Arming Sword and Backsword, and Chinesse Jiàn.
  • One-Handed Single-Edged Swords, including but not limited to the European Falchion, Persian Shamshir, Chinese Dao, and modern infantry and cavalry sabres.
  • Two-Handed Double-Edged Swords, including but not limited to the European Zweihander, Longsword, and Montante.
  • Two-Handed Single-Edged Swords, which is basically just the Japanese Katana.
  • Primarily Thrusting Swords, including but not limited to the European Rapier and Smallsword.
In M&M3e terms there isn't going to be much mechanical difference between a Highland Broadsword and a Chinese Dao (Strength-based, Damage 3, Improved Critical 1) and the list of Advantages that you could possibly learn in each school is going to look broadly the same too. Although a student of Wudang Xuanmen Jian kung fu is probably going to learn them in a different order than an officer leading the 93rd (Sutherland Highlanders) Regiment of Foot.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Batgirl III wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:38 pm
  • One-Handed Double-Edged Swords, including but not limited to the European Arming Sword and Backsword, and Chinesse Jiàn.
  • Two-Handed Double-Edged Swords, including but not limited to the European Zweihander, Longsword, and Montante.
Which group is justice in?
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Ken wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:18 pm
Justice?
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Woodclaw wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:42 am
Justice?
Justice is/was a type of Hand-and-a-half Sword used for Knightly Duels during the Middle Ages.Technically it would fall under Two-Handed but not have the double-edge.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

The Sachsenspiegel c. 1230 specified that combatants are armed with sword and shield, which would have been an arming sword and buckler. Hans Talhoffer’s 15th Century fechtbücher depicts techniques to be applied in judicial duels, dividing them into Swabian (sword and shield) and Franconian (mace and shield) variants. Other contemporary manuals such as that of Paulus Kal and the Codex Wallerstein detail the same styles. I’ve never seen judicial combat involving longswords in any period source.

I’d be happy to be proven wrong.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:26 am The Sachsenspiegel c. 1230 specified that combatants are armed with sword and shield, which would have been an arming sword and buckler. Hans Talhoffer’s 15th Century fechtbücher depicts techniques to be applied in judicial duels, dividing them into Swabian (sword and shield) and Franconian (mace and shield) variants. Other contemporary manuals such as that of Paulus Kal and the Codex Wallerstein detail the same styles. I’ve never seen judicial combat involving longswords in any period source.

I’d be happy to be proven wrong.
Not historically no(forgive me for not being clearer,as i'm running on Brisk Iced Tea and 2 hours sleep),but what about the Arthurian legends?The never used Shields unless they were on horseback....or so i've read.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

That’s a whole ‘nuther kettle of fish, since the Arthurian mythos spans centuries and changes radically from the early Welsh and Britainic folklore in the early Middle Ages, to the Romantic chansons of the High Middle Ages, to the Edwardian and Victorian revivals of the modern day... and, of course, Hollywood depictions.

But, the most popular image most people have of Arthur comes from Mallory’s Le Morte d'Arthur, which most definitely paints Arthur as being in a faux 13-14th Century. Plate armor, heater shields, arming swords, etc.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:58 am That’s a whole ‘nuther kettle of fish, since the Arthurian mythos spans centuries and changes radically from the early Welsh and Britainic folklore in the early Middle Ages, to the Romantic chansons of the High Middle Ages, to the Edwardian and Victorian revivals of the modern day... and, of course, Hollywood depictions.

But, the most popular image most people have of Arthur comes from Mallory’s Le Morte d'Arthur, which most definitely paints Arthur as being in a faux 13-14th Century. Plate armor, heater shields, arming swords, etc.
True enough,but did it state in the stories that he & the other "[j]Knights of The Round[/i]" ever used a shield? If my memory is still working right now,then they didn't. And you can't type to my 'face ' that the Sword Excalibur wasn't a Hand and a half sword....

Honestly your more than likely right and it's just Sleep Deprivation that's making me such Contrarian right now. :D
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Well, since Excalibur never actually existed, its very hard to say what it "really" was. However, in almost all artwork, it is depicted as an arming sword.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:35 am Well, since Excalibur never actually existed, its very hard to say what it "really" was. However, in almost all artwork, it is depicted as an arming sword.
Like i said; i blame sleep deprivation.:) your right on all counts,so my bad. :oops:
Now if you'll excuse me,i thing i'll find out what this strange thing called "sleeping" is..... :lol:
Ken

Post by Ken »

MacynSnow wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:45 am
Woodclaw wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:42 am

Justice?
Justice is/was a type of Hand-and-a-half Sword used for Knightly Duels during the Middle Ages.Technically it would fall under Two-Handed but not have the double-edge.
Odd. I've always heard that justice is a double-edged sword. But of course, I'm being an idiom.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Wow, I'd missed this entire topic! Nice work, Macyn!
L-Space wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 11:28 pm
MacynSnow wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 11:20 pm Special mention goes to the Hajimi No-Ippo anime,as every single cast member could be put onto this list as it's THAT accurate to the material used....
Man, I really need to watch that anime. I've always been a huge fan of boxing characters, but for some reason was never able to catch that show.

Speaking of anime, if you haven't already seen it I recommend Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple. While it is over the top at times it does a good job showing a lot of different types of martial arts style. Muay Thai, Jojutsu, Savate, Pencak Silat, etc.
yeah, it's a really fun anime/manga. It basically takings Shonen fighting tropes, and modifies them to fit a cartoony version of a real-world sport, combined with the histories of real boxers, and characters which are meant to directly emulate them. Ippo is an in-boxer who fights like Tyson (who was at his peak when Ippo debuted), while Miyata is a more skilled, fragile out-boxer.