Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Sudowoodo! Sunflora! Donphan!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Sprites

Post by Jabroniville »

SPRITES:
-Sprites are a common name given to the smallest kinds of Fey creatures- Fairies, Nixies and Grigs. They are generally known to be chaotic creatures of the wilderness, prone to following their own rules. This leads some towards mischief, some towards hermit-like behavior, and others towards dark evil. Myths about them vary from place to place, depending on the temperament of the local Fey- some are prone to abducting children, eating sentient beings, or simply stealing things. In such areas, Fey are much-feared, and Sprites are sought out and killed. In most places, however, they are simply mysterious, little-seen creatures.

Sprites are usually on friendly relations with Wood Elves, Wild Centaurs and Druids of all stripes- those who defend the forests are considered to be defenders of the Fey as well.

Jab's Notes: A fairly unimpressive set of art gives three "Sprites" stats in the Monster Manual. I'll stat them out separately.
Jabroniville

Fairies

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImageImageImage

... what? Shut up!

FAIRY (aka Pixie)
Role:
Sexy Tricksters, Forest Allies
PL 4 (74)
STRENGTH
-4 STAMINA -2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 3 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Aerobatics 6 (+8)
Athletics 5 (+1)
Expertise (Survival) 2 (+4)
Perception 1 (+3)
Stealth 0 (+2, +14 Size)

Advantages:
Evasion, Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Fairy Physiology"
Comprehend 1 (Speak To Animals) [2]
"Small Size" Shrinking 12 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [25]
(-3 Strength, -1 Speed, +6 Defenses, +12 Stealth, -6 Intimidation)

"She Can Fly!" Flight 5 (60 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [5]
"You Can Fly!" Flight 4 (30 mph) (Extras: Affects Others Only +0, Affects Objects) [12]

Offense:
Unarmed +3 (-4 Damage, DC 11)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness -2, Fortitude +0, Will +2

Complications:
Power Loss (Wings)- Fairy Wings cannot flap when wet, resulting in grounded Fairies. They also need Pixie Dust to fly, and will run out after a certain amount of time. Their wings will break if kept in the cold for too long.
Quirk- Fairy Speech sounds like a bell ringing to humans. Only a few known have ever been able to understand them.

Total: Abilities: 16 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 44 / Defenses: 3 (74)

-Fairies (also called Pixies, or "Faeries" if the teller is a teenage girl writing in her diary) are by far the most numerous type of Fey, outnumbering all the other kinds put together. They are the most commonly-seen, and are known to inhabit mortal dwellings or live near cities. Many are known to find humans fascinating, while others fear them greatly. They appear to be elves on gossamer wings, but much smaller. Wing types can vary, but typically resemble those of dragonflies- others look more akin to butterfly wings. They fly by way of Pixie Dust, a glistening particulate made in Fairy domiciles, which can be used to allow other beings to fly as well (as expected, this is a highly sought-after resource for some- clever Pixies are known to trade it to Wizards and the like for all manner of things).

-Fairies have many different kinds of "Talents" that allow them a variety of abilities, but others will train themselves in Magic- typically Elementalism, Druidic or Mentalism.

Jab's Notes: ... what? OKAY, so I just used my Disney Fairies Template! Shut up! It's totally easy! And the regular D&D version is all "Illusion Magic" this, and "Detect Evil" that! BORINGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!

Fairy "Talents":
* Fairies cover a lot of ground, and so have varied powers in many different places. Typically, many Fairy enclaves (called "Pixie Hollows") have one member with each variety of power.

Ilusion Talent: Illusion (Visuals or Hearing)

Animal Talent: Comprehend 2 (Speak To & Understand Animals), Mind-Reading (Limited to Emotion, Limited to Animals)
Light Talent: Environment (Light), Dazzle Visuals (Requires Existing Light), Light Blast (Source- Existing Light)
Fast-Flying Talent: Flight Boost, Wind Powers
Garden Talent: Comprehend (Plants), Growth (Affects Others Only, Limited to Plants)
Winter Talent: Immunity (Cold), "Ice Slick" Affliction (Strength; Hindered & Vulnerable/Prone & Defenseless) (Area- Burst, Ranged, Extra Condition) (Limited Degree, Instant Recovery, Limited to Grounded Targets)

SPECIAL ARROWS: (Flaws: Easily Removable) [18]
"Memory Loss Arrows" Affliction 6 (Fort; Impaired Memories/Disabled Memories/Transformed Memories) (Extras: Ranged, Progressive +2, Cumulative) (Diminished Range -1) (29) -- (30 points)
  • AE: "Sleep Arrows" Affliction 6 (Fort; Fatigued/Exhausted/Asleep) (Extras: Ranged, Progressive +2, Cumulative) (Diminished Range -1) (29)
* Fairy "Scouts" are known to use specialized arrows that can mind-wipe other creatures. This generally keeps Pixie Hollows hidden from interlopers.
Batgirl III

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Wyverns! Pegasi! Unicorns! Sphinxes!)

Post by Batgirl III »

I’ll have you know, that in my teenage diary I spelt it “færies,” because shut up. Get out of my room, Jab! I’m telling mom!
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Wyverns! Pegasi! Unicorns! Sphinxes!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:21 am I’ll have you know, that in my teenage diary I spelt it “færies,” because shut up. Get out of my room, Jab! I’m telling mom!
:P.

My papers all featured drawings of superheroes fighting dinosaurs, which is why I grew up into a manly, manly, ultra-masculine male with male-exclusive interests!!!
Woodclaw

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Pegasi! Unicorns! Sphinxes! Fairies!)

Post by Woodclaw »

5e pixies underwent a pretty big push, being one of the few creatures that can cast Polymorph as a racial ability. This became particularly egregious after someone noticed that a mid-level druid could potentially summon up to 8 of them.
Jabroniville wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:31 am
Batgirl III wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:21 am I’ll have you know, that in my teenage diary I spelt it “færies,” because shut up. Get out of my room, Jab! I’m telling mom!
:P.

My papers all featured drawings of superheroes fighting dinosaurs, which is why I grew up into a manly, manly, ultra-masculine male with male-exclusive interests!!!
I'm pretty sure that your collection of Jem and the Holograms backs it up :P
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
catsi563

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Pegasi! Unicorns! Sphinxes! Fairies!)

Post by catsi563 »

Dammit Jab you forgot Complication: Will go to War over Pizza in the fae writeup

ALL HAIL THE ZA LORD!!
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Grigs

Post by Jabroniville »

GRIG
Role:
Bug People, Forest Allies
PL 4 (63)
STRENGTH
-4 STAMINA -2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 3 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 5 (+1)
Expertise (Survival) 2 (+3)
Perception 1 (+3)
Stealth 0 (+2, +14 Size)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Equipment (Dagger +1, Longbow- Blast 1- Diminished Range -2), Evasion, Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Fairy Physiology"
"Small Size" Shrinking 12 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [25]
(-3 Strength, -1 Speed, +6 Defenses, +12 Stealth, -6 Intimidation)

"Gossamer Wings" Flight 4 (30 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [4]

"Play Legs Like a Fiddle"
Illusion 4 (Hearing) (4) -- [5]
  • AE: "Irresistible Dance" Affliction 4 (Will; Entranced/Compelled/Controlled) (Extras: Area- Hearing Perception) (Flaws: Distracting, Limited to Dancing) (2)
Offense:
Unarmed +3 (-4 Damage, DC 11)
Dagger +3 (-3 Damage, DC 12)
Longbow +4 (+1 Ranged Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness -2, Fortitude +0, Will +2

Complications:
Quirk- Grig Speech sounds like a bell ringing to humans. Only a few known have ever been able to understand them.

Total: Abilities: 14 / Skills: 8--4 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 36 / Defenses: 3 (63)

-Grigs are the most uncommon kind of Fey, and are the most mischievous, frequently collapsing tents or using trickery to confuse large beings. They are also rather ferocious despite their tiny size. Grigs are typically brown, green, or blue, sporting insectoid lower bodies that makes them resemble tiny Centaurs. Their "bug half" is usually that of a Beetle or Grasshopper of some kind.

Jab's Notes: These guys look dumb in D&D. Though the whole image in that Monster Manual isn't that great- everyone looks ungainly and weird rather than cute and fun. But not, like "Creepy Fae" weird- just "person who can't draw that well" weird.
Jabroniville

Nixies

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

NIXIE
Role:
Aquatic Fey, Forest Allies
PL 4 (62)
STRENGTH
-3 STAMINA -1 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 3 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 5 (+1)
Expertise (Survival) 2 (+4)
Perception 1 (+3)
Stealth 0 (+2, +14 Size)

Advantages:
Evasion, Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Fairy Physiology"
"Small Size" Shrinking 8 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [17]
(-2 Strength, -1 Speed, +4 Defenses, +8 Stealth, -4 Intimidation)

Immunity 1 (Drowning) (Extras: Affects Others) [2]
Swimming 4 [4]
"Charm Person" Mind Control 4 (Flaws: Unreliable -2- 1/day) [8]
"Claws" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Split) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +3 (-3 Damage, DC 12)
Claws +3 (-2 Damage, DC 13)
Charm Person -- (+4 Perception-Ranged Affliction, DC 14)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness -1, Fortitude +0, Will +2

Complications:
Power Loss (Wings)- Fairy Wings cannot flap when wet, resulting in grounded Fairies. They also need Pixie Dust to fly, and will run out after a certain amount of time. Their wings will break if kept in the cold for too long.
Quirk- Grig Speech sounds like a bell ringing to humans. Only a few known have ever been able to understand them.

Total: Abilities: 16 / Skills: 8--4 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 35 / Defenses: 3 (62)

-Nixies live in ponds, rivers and lakes- generally, anyplace fresh water is found. They defend their homes the way other Sprites do, often with a bit of viciousness, but they are typically kindly and good-natured. The worst they usually get up to is to "Charm Person" into being their aquatic servant for a day or two- this is how many of them underwater homes are built, as Nixies are typically not that industrious. Nixies are larger than other Sprites, but smaller than even Halflings or Elves. Their skin is usually green, but they may be blue, white (usually cream or pearlescent) or brown as well.

Jab's Notes: A weird-looking green girl in the Monster Manual, they are described as "comely". Nixies are one of many names for Noks, Nokkens and Necks- generally, they are water sprites. In some areas they are known to lure children and women into lakes and drown them, making them similar to Will-O'-The-Wisps. In other places, they are exclusively male. In Germany, they can be any gender, and some are good, others evil.
Jabroniville

Kender

Post by Jabroniville »

An unbiased viewpoint of the Kender race.

KENDER
Typical Adult Height: 3'-4'
Birth Rate: 1-2 infants every 6 months
Lifespan: 0-20 (Child), 21-50 (Young Adult), 51-80 (Adult), 81-250 (Elder)
Nicknames: Kleptokender
Sexual Dimorphism: Mammaries, size, less body hair and much more delicate features.
Skin Tones: Pink, brown, gray
Hair: Almost any naturally recurring colour (blonde, brown, black, red, gray, white)
Racial Mounts: Ponies, Dogs
Racial Weapons: Daggers, Short Swords
Religion: Kleptorum, God of Annoyance

Allies: The Darkest Demons Imaginable

PL Variants:
PL 0: Commoner
PL 1-3: Common Kender
PL 4-5: Elites

Notes on Kender

-No species on all of Castellia is more hated than the Kender. An evil, soulless race, they were formed thousands of years ago by the monstrous Kleptorum, who gained power and prestige through the annoyed sighs and disgusted reactions of mortals. Therefore, he created an entire race for the sole purpose of being annoying to others- the more other beings rolled their eyes or screamed at Kender, the more power Kleptorum gained.

-Kender resemble Elves, Halflings and Fairies, having pointed ears and delicate features. Their methods of annoying others are numerous- typically, they will run headlong into trouble, endangering their teammates. They talk of nothing but "shiny things" to the exclusion of all other subjects. They act like annoying children, but without the cuteness. The uncover personal information, and then share it freely, embarrassing many. They steal things from their allies, but pretend this is a cultural thing and "we do not understand the concept of ownership", then act sad while expecting their teammates to apologize and thus respect "Kender culture" more.

-The typical Kender will demand attention, acting out until they get it, then pretend to act hurt by the angry reactions of others, in hopes of getting an apology- this allows them to annoy others even more. They attempted to spread rumors of heroic Kender whose kleptomania had in fact saved the universe, even suggesting one of the Eight Great Heroes was a Kender whose stolen magic item was central to the victory, but these were all lies.

-Eventually, Kender became the most hated race on all of Castellia. Countless Quester parties were killed by a Kender screaming "SHINYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!" and leaping after an important gem that was not to be touched. Many were slain when Kender teammates abandoned them to pet kitties or to do a funny dance. Others died when their important items were held "for safekeeping" by the party Kender. These instances began getting reported more and more, and eventually, the Kender race could no longer pretend "those Kender weren't doing it right".

-Kender were finally barred from all Questing parties with any sense. They were banned from most kingdoms, gatherings, and other places. Especially once a brave party discovered the true nature of the race- their quest to annoy and bring grief to others, and their vile God. Eventually, numerous other Gods combined their might to destroy Kleptorum once and for all (an unprecedented team-up which saw Hell Lords, Pure Goddesses and Dragon Kings united in one noble goal). Vast numbers of Kender were sacrificed to demons, and the race was reduced to a smattering of what it once was. In most places, Kender are killed on sight.

Interesting Facts About Kender:
* A race of Demons once invaded Castellia, promising they would not leave until they had captured 5 million souls. All of the other races banded together to gather as many Kender as they could, averting disaster.

* The only times Orcs and Dwarves will ally in war is against Kender.

* The Paladin's ban against torturing beings does not include Kender.

* In fact, more than one Paladin Order features this as a specific requirement of joining.

* Many Wizards are working together to create a potion that will render all Kender on Castellia sterile. Elves, Dark Elves, Demons and Humans are all working together on this.

Jab's Notes: You might have gleaned that I am not a fan of Kender. You will find many, MANY sources online which indicate similar viewpoints. This is because they were more or less created to appeal to annoying people- those who like to be the center of attention, but lack the social skills or cleverness to be really funny, and instead just act out and demand people pay attention to them. Descriptions of them online point out to the "Class Features" stuff, and just how annoying traits like "steal things from their teammates; pretend to forget they did it; suggest the teammates GAVE THEM the stuff" really are.

-There ends up being a lot of "Kender Apologists" for the same reason, suggesting "They're not doing it right!". My friends, who've read the Dragonlance books which introduced the race, suggest that the Tasslehoff character actually DOES behave in an annoying manner like this, and thus Kender players tend to follow his lead. But while what makes for an amusing character, because he annoys his teammates... will just annoy your fellow players in real life.

-Though I've never experienced this first-hand, the mere DESCRIPTION of the race from someone I knew told me all I really needed to know. She was dating a friend of mine, and went on about how "cute and funny" Kender were, explaining the "oh, you GAVE it to me!" nature of their kleptomania. And I turned to her boyfriend with a look like "REALLY?". He confided to me the whole "D&D players HATE Kender" thing, and mentioned how players tended to act as as attention-whores and "like annoying children", pointing out how immature people LOVED the class for that reason.

-A lot of players have told stories of "Why I'm no longer allowed to play a Kender". You might imagine why :).

-Basically, the Kender race (which largely vanished in 3e; replaced by Halflings, which are more like Hobbits and treated more like ideal Thieves than annoying kids) is a big warning to game designers against making things that are deliberately meant to be annoying to others and cause "Wacky Antics". The kind of mistake George Lucas made when he created Jar-Jar Binks- non-stop antics are ANNOYING to most people, and a sign of immaturity and lack of awareness in others. Creating things like Kender (or Malkavians in "Vampire", or Crazies in "Rifts", who actually get TABLES for insanity) is a big mistake, because it leads to Memetic Hate after countless players have had to deal with their hideously annoying teammates.

-It's like... you can kind of make a guy like this in a movie or book, and it might work out okay. But handing players (many of whom may be socially awkward- I've been in a Sci-Fi Club, okay? I've seen it) a class that makes CLASS FEATURES out of "being random/annoying/childish" is a big, BIG mistake.

KENDER
Role:
SATAN HIMSELF
PL 3 (50)
STRENGTH
-2 STAMINA -1 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Acrobatics 6 (+8)
Athletics 8 (+6)
Expertise (Survival) 2 (+3)
Perception 6 (+7)
Sleight of Hand 6 (+8)
Stealth 2 (+4, +8 Size)

Advantages:
Equipment (Dagger, Gear), Evasion, Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
Senses 1 (Low-Light Vision) [1]
"Small Size" Shrinking 4 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [9]
(-1 Strength, +2 Defenses, +4 Stealth, -2 Intimidation)

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (-2 Damage, DC 13)
Dagger +4 (-1 Damage, DC 14)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness -1, Fortitude +1, Will +3

Complications:
Obsession (Being Annoying)- Whether it's by non-stop antics, pratfalls, acting like children, or stealing things from others and pretending it's a cultural trait, Kender are obsessed with annoying others.

Total: Abilities: 12 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 10 / Defenses: 8 (50)

Jab's Notes: Low stats for the most Satanic of creatures.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
MacynSnow

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Sphinxes! Fairies! Nixies! KENDER!!!)

Post by MacynSnow »

Now,i can defend Gully Dwarves as a playable race(they were originally down on their Luck dwarves who got cursed and it bred into them before they could get it lifted) but try as i might(and,believe you-me,i'll defend Kain killing Able!),i can't defend the Kender.I...i just can't.The race itself was designed for attention-seeking tabledick's that don't care about anything involving the game.I don't hate the race specifically(it was well put together and thought out,i'll give it that),i just detest how it nearly destroyed face-to-face tabletoping.

Good riddance to bad rubbish,i say.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

There's nothing wrong with having a negative opinion about kender, but comparing them to fucking JAR JAR BINKS?!? NOT COOL JAB! :D
Formerly luketheduke86
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

L-Space wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:17 am There's nothing wrong with having a negative opinion about kender, but comparing them to fucking JAR JAR BINKS?!? NOT COOL JAB! :D
Yeah! Jar Jar eventually served on the Senate! Can you imagine a kender in government?! A politician who claims to be doing us a favor while robbing us blind?! How unprecedented!
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Im one of the few who, stands on the fact that I did play a kender right.

And the group in a unanimous vote still voted to ban them from any future games after I successfully pickpocketed Odin and blamed it on Loki, and got away with Odins wallet.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

catsi563 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:14 am Im one of the few who, stands on the fact that I did play a kender right.

And the group in a unanimous vote still voted to ban them from any future games after I successfully pickpocketed Odin and blamed it on Loki, and got away with Odins wallet.
See?? SEE?!?!!? Someone can play the race RIGHT and still annoy everyone enough to permaban them forever. That's proof I'm right :).
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Okay. I'm going to vouch the "unpoular opinion" here, but I don't have a problem with Kenders per se. I have massive issues with Knder players.
It's an unfortunately well known fact that we, as players, often then to portray all characters but humans in a rather standardized way. All dwarves are gruff, drink a crapton of beer etc. All elves are alof and obsessed with nature and so on.
So what about kenders, if you go by the official fluff they should be like this eternal starry-eyed children, with little to no concept of private property, who are nonetheless capable (just like children I might add) to say juat the right thing at the right moment to put everything into the right perspective, because they world-view is extremely uncomplicated. This is extremely funny as an NPC, but in the hand of anybody but a really good player is a recipee for disaster. Kender players seem to aim at being the most annoying PCs possible, often engaging in completely obnoxious or suicidal behaviours.

Let's go back to the apparent root of the problem: Tasslehoff Burrfoot. Despite being often the annoying comic relief, Tass showed time and again that he knew when to stop: he never betrayed the truth about Fitzban, he showed deep respect to both Sturm and Flint when they died and, above all, when the shit hits the fan during the Council of Whitestone he actually showed to be wiser than many others and understood that the Orb of Dragonkind was actually part of the problem, not part of the solution and smashed the goddamned thing to pieces, knowing that he was probably going to die because of that.
Now, the problem with most Kender players is that they know when to stop, they see their character as a "get out of jail free" card to do stupid things and never pay the price, which is exactly the wrong way to use any kind of character.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)