Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Sudowoodo! Sunflora! Donphan!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Unicorn

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImageImage

"UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNICOORRRRRRRRRRNNNNNNNNN!!! UUUUUUUUUUUUUNICOORRRRRRRRRRRNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!"

UNICORN (Equus narwhalus)
Role:
Solitary Forest Protector, Untameable Spirit
PL 8 (126), PL 10 (126) with Affliction- Minion Rank 9, Sidekick Rank 31
Normal Version:
PL 6-8
STRENGTH 4 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -3 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 8 (+12)
Insight 6 (+10)
Perception 8 (+12)
Stealth 6 (+8, +7 Size)

Advantages:
Attractive (To Women), Diehard, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Horn) 2, Improved Initiative, Improved Smash, Move-By Action, Power Attack

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Acute Scent, Low-Light Vision, Radius Sight) [3]
"Animal Physiology" Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]

"Forest Protector"
Senses 7 (Detect Evil- Ranged 2 & Acute, Virginity Awareness- Ranged & Acute) [7]
Comprehend (Plants) 2 [4]

"Unicorn Horn"
Strength-Damage +4 [4]
Immunity 2 (Poison, Disease) [2]

"Stun Evil" Affliction 10 (Will; Entranced/Stunned/Paralyzed) (Extras: Cumulative, Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited to Evil Creatures) (20) -- [23]
  • AE: "Ward Evil" Affliction 10 (Will; Entranced/Compelled/Controlled) (Extras: Cumulative, Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited to "Leave This Area", Limited to Evil Creatures) (10)
  • AE: Healing 6 (12)
  • AE: "Forest Transfer" Teleport 7 (Flaws: Limited to Forest) (7)
"Natural Size" Growth 1 (Str & Sta +1, +1 Mass, +0 Intimidation, -0 Dodge/Parry, -1 Stealth) -- (8 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [3]
Reach 1 [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Horn +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +6, Fortitude +9, Will +9

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Unicorns cannot speak to humans, nor use their hooves to easily manipulate objects.
Honor- Unicorns will not allow humans to ride them unless they are virgin maidens.
Enemy (Hunters)- One of the most sacred of all animals, Unicorns are constantly sought out and hunted for their magical horns, and for bragging rights.
Responsibility (The Forest)- Unicorns are primary protectors of forested regions, and must run to their defense.

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 50 / Defenses: 15 (126)

Era: Fantasy Realms
Range: Forests of Europe
Stereotypes: Noble, proud, mysterious.
Colouring: White
Size: Up to 7.5 feet long (500-800 lbs.)
Encounter Groups: Solitary.
Diet: Grass & vegetation
Tactics: Flee using speed or impale with powerful horn.

-Among the most rare and mysterious creatures on Castellia are the mythical Unicorns- few beings have ever seen them, and even those who've spent lifetimes hunting them cannot claim to have spotted one for more than a glimmer of an instant. Highly secretive and elusive, they hide from all but those they deem the most caring. They are seen as Forest Spirits, almost more akin to Fae creatures than animals. They congregate in hidden groves, listen to the reactions of Faeries, Elves and other forest creatures, and have a sixth sense as to when danger is near. A forest protected by Unicorns is a safe place indeed.

-Many myths exist about Unicorns- a chief one is the fact that they will allow only maidens to ride them. This is, as far as most scholars can tell, largely accurate, though high-ranking Fae creatures or Wood Elves are known to be exceptions to some- it is likely that some Unicorns don't feel as strongly about the matter as others.

-The powers of their horns are not to be underestimated- some exaggerated accounts has them single-handedly killing scores of elephants or even solitary Dragons, but they are indeed very dangerous- much moreso than their comparatively small size implies. More powerful, however, are the magical properties contained within- Unicorn Horns are among the most powerful ingredients in Spells, can nullify any poison they touch, and more.

Jab's Notes: Unicorns are one of the most important mythical creatures in European history (so much so that they appear on the British Coat of Arms). Specializing in being an entity of otherworldly power and purity, they're one of the rare mythological beings to be on the "good" side of the equation. Traditionally, they appear as small white horses, featuring a billy goat's beard, cloven hooves, and a lion's tail. In live action films, they're usually played by large, real horses (for obvious reasons), so they appear bigger there. It's said that they allow themselves to be ridden by pure maidens (note: that means virgins), and that at least one instance resulted in a single unicorn spearing THREE elephants and only then dying from the strain (likely a one-time incident among myth-spinners). It's generally assumed that their myth comes from a combination of love of fancy horses in Europe, one-horned versions of creatures like Oryx or Ibex (which are known to exist occasionally), the Rhinoceros when described by explorers from foreign lands, and discovered Narwhal horns (which are nearly identical in shape to what we imagine Unicorn horns look like). Their horns are a myth in themselves, said to be able to nullify the effects of poison if you drink from it.

-Unicorns don't show up much in comics, mainly because they've been seen as kind of a cliche and a little too goofy and childish- like something Lisa Frank thought up. Their highlight in the worlds of fiction has very much come from "The Last Unicorn", a BAD-ASS example of non-Disney cartooning, and a movie that creeped the frick out of me while fascinating me at the same time. The movie had a rare amount of emotion for a cartoon (the sadness of scenes like the one where Molly's grief for the Unicorn appearing to her now "When I am *THIS!*"- ie. a non virgin- or the terror of the Red Bull and the Skeleton's mad freak-out), and was also funny as balls ("I can't believe I'm engaged to a Douglas Fir!").

-The Unicorn operates on a different principle than most other horselike animals, being much smaller and weaker, able to carry a slender female and that's about it. Their real power is of course the horn, offering a MASSIVE Strike, Immunity to Poison & Disease, the ability to detect virginity (not much use in battle), etc. It's PL 8 in Combat, but against truly Evil Creatures, it acts as a powerful Ward or Stunning weapon. It also has a few benefits as a Protector of the Forests, being able to communicate with trees and find out what evil befouls their environment.

Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 30, 2018 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Batgirl III

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Nymphs! Wyverns! Pegasi! Unicorns!)

Post by Batgirl III »

Unicorns in medieval bestiaries were seen as bad ass monsters. Far from being seen as girly-girly or gentile, they basically represented nature in its most raw and primal state; they were free, uncontrollable, and primordial... That’s why the Scots adopted it as their go-to charge in heraldry.

The “only a maiden can tame it” stories actually originates with myths that only the Virgin Mary could calm it, because, well, she’s the literal Mother of God.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

nd was also funny as balls ("I can't believe I'm engaged to a Douglas Fir!").
Also the source of my Signature :D :lol:

well the signature I had at one time

namely

My dear you deserve the aid of a great wizard but im afraid youll have to settle for the help fo a second rate pickpocket. ~ Schmendrick
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

The Last Unicorn is an even better book, but that voice cast is pretty much top notch. Alan Arkin, Christopher Lee, Jeff Bridges alone, with that Rankin Bass art style. Pretty awesome.
Jabroniville

Sphinx (Androsphinx)

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

SPHINX (Androsphinx)
Role:
Guardian
PL 9 (153)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+5)
Athletics 2 (+8)
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+8)
Expertise (Magical Lore) 10 (+13)
Intimidation 8 (+11)
Perception 8 (+11)
Stealth 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Fearless, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons) 2, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Prone Fighting, Ranged Attack 4, Ultimate Intimidation Check

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 5 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent, Extended & Ultra-Hearing) [5]
Flight 5 (60 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [5]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
"Natural Weapons- Claws & Teeth" Strength-Damage +2 [2]

"Cat Agility" Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
"Lion's Mane" Features 2: +4 to Resist Choking Grapples or Neck-Bites [2]
"Natural Size" Growth 1 (Str & Sta +1, +1 Mass, +0 Intimidation, -0 Dodge/Parry, -1 Stealth) -- (8 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [3]

"Sphinx's Roar"
"Draining Roar" Weaken Strength 8 (Extras: Area- Hearing Perception, Affects Objects) (Flaws: Unreliable- 5/day) (Quirks: Must Use Two Other Roars First -2) (14) -- [16]
  • AE: "Fearful Roar" Affliction 8 (Will; Dazed/Stunned/Controlled) (Extras: Area- Hearing Perception) (Flaws: Limited to Fear, Unreliable- 5/day) (4)
  • AE: "Paralyzing Roar" Affliction 8 (Will; Dazed & Impaired Hearing/Stunned & Disabled Hearing/Incapacitated Hearing & Paralyzed) (Extras: Area- Hearing Perception, Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited to Fear, Unreliable- 5/day, Dazzle Limited to Hearing) (Quirks: Must Use Fearful Roar First) (3)
Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Claws & Teeth +10 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +7

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +7, Fortitude +9, Will +10

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 36 / Defenses: 16 (153)

-Androsphinxes are the wisest of all Sphinxes- they have the faces of human males. They are usually non-violent, but are terrifying opponents in battle- as Lions, but with far-reaching Area Effects. They will typically have Magical capability as well, often centered around Mentalism or Healing.

Jab's Notes: This is the only kind of Sphinx I know of from mythology & storytelling- a benevolent, male-headed figure from Egyptian storytelling. Obviously, it's most famous for the wildly-iconic stone one in Egypt, famously hidden in the sand for centuries before Napoleon's men found it.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon May 28, 2018 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Sphinx (Gynosphinx)

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

Every drawing of a gynosphinx I can find features not only nice breasts, but STUPENDOUS breasts. What is it with artists and this thing?

SPHINX (Gynosphinx)
Role:
Riddle-Maker
PL 8 (147)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+5)
Athletics 2 (+3)
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+9)
Expertise (Magical Lore) 10 (+14)
Intimidation 8 (+12)
Perception 8 (+12)
Stealth 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Fearless, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons) 2, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Prone Fighting

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 5 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent, Extended & Ultra-Hearing) [5]
Flight 6 (120 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [6]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
"Natural Weapons- Claws & Teeth" Strength-Damage +2 [2]

"Innate Magic"
"Clairvoyance" Remote Sensing (Vision & Hearing) 8 (Flaws: Unreliable- 5/day) (16) -- [20]
  • AE: "Detect Magic" Senses 3 (Detect Magic- Ranged, Acute) (Flaws: Unreliable- 5/day) (2)
  • AE: "See Invisibility" Senses 4 (Vision Counters Concealment) (Flaws: Unreliable- 5/day) (2)
  • AE: "Comprehend Languages" Comprehend 3 (Flaws: Unreliable- 5/day) (3)
  • AE: "Dispel Magic" Nullify Magic 8 (Extras: Broad) (Flaws: Unreliable- 1/day -2) (16)
Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Claws & Teeth +10 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +7

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +5, Fortitude +7, Will +9

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 41 / Defenses: 14 (147)

-Gynosphinxes are the only female kind of Sphinx, and is the source of breeding for the others- children will match the gender of the father if male; and be Gynosphinxes if female. They are frequently stereotyped as gatekeepers who demand tests of intellect (typically via riddles) or else they refuse to let the adventurers past.

Jab's Notes: This one mainly stands out to be beacuse the image in the Monster Manual is of a lion with a woman's haircut, lipstick, and some STUPENDOUS, nipple-less breasts. Like, what the hell? Why does that lioness have an amazing rack?

-In any case, the Gynosphinx is more akin to the version in Greek Mythology, where it's more of a Generic Monster, devouring those who fail to decipher their riddles.
Shock

Re: Sphinx (Gynosphinx)

Post by Shock »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 8:38 pm Every drawing of a gynosphinx I can find features not only nice breasts, but STUPENDOUS breasts. What is it with artists and this thing?
Says the guy with a thing for centaurs...
Davies

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 8:38 pm Jab's Notes: This one mainly stands out to be beacuse the image in the Monster Manual is of a lion with a woman's haircut, lipstick, and some STUPENDOUS, nipple-less breasts. Like, what the hell? Why does that lioness have an amazing rack?
... it's the female sphinx, were you expecting Hartman Hips?
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Shock wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 11:51 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 8:38 pm Every drawing of a gynosphinx I can find features not only nice breasts, but STUPENDOUS breasts. What is it with artists and this thing?
Says the guy with a thing for centaurs...
Just the lady part! Horse butts are a deal-breaker!!
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Davies wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 12:02 am
Jabroniville wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 8:38 pm Jab's Notes: This one mainly stands out to be beacuse the image in the Monster Manual is of a lion with a woman's haircut, lipstick, and some STUPENDOUS, nipple-less breasts. Like, what the hell? Why does that lioness have an amazing rack?
... it's the female sphinx, were you expecting Hartman Hips?
I would expect just a female head. I mean, the Androsphinxes don't have rocking pecs...
Jabroniville

Sphinx (Criosphinx)

Post by Jabroniville »

SPHINX (Criosphinx)
Role:
The Douchey One
PL 8 (98)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+5)
Athletics 2 (+8)
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+5)
Expertise (Magical Lore) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 8 (+8)
Perception 8 (+8)
Stealth 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons), Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Prone Fighting

Powers:
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
"Natural Weapons- Headbutt & Bite" Strength-Damage +2 [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Claws & Teeth +9 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +7

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +6, Fortitude +8, Will +7

Complications: 

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 20 / Defenses: 15 (98)

-The Criosphinx has a winged leonine body, but the head of a ram. They are always male, and are typically seen as more animalistic than the other Sphinxes, to the point where Gynosphinxes avoid their lascivious advances on a constant basis. Many are known to be greedy and avaricious schemers, though they are no smarter than the average person. 

Jab's Notes: Never heard of this one before. I always got a kick out of the "They constantly seek Gynosphinxes" line in the Monster Manual, because it's so bluntly silly. Like, they're super-horndogs or something?
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 30, 2018 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

IN Pathfinder? Yes. They’re horndogs.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Hoid wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 3:03 am IN Pathfinder? Yes. They’re horndogs.
Sweet Sif,yes these things are horndogs! They will try to hump anything remotely female looking(Weyland-Yutani(tm) managed to catch one coming out of a Rift by dressing up a Scarecrow as a woman with the Count throwing his Voice)....
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

And this pretty much the monster that made me stop and reconsider about "flavoured monsters", the Criosphinx is the kind of monster that might work well for a single outing, but completely fall apart in any kind of complex setting.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Sphinx (Hieracosphinx)

Post by Jabroniville »

SPHINX (Hieracosphinx)
Role:
The Evil One
PL 8 (92)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+5)
Athletics 2 (+8)
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+5)
Expertise (Magical Lore) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 8 (+8)
Perception 8 (+8)
Stealth 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons), Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Prone Fighting

Powers:
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
"Natural Weapons- Headbutt & Bite" Strength-Damage +2 [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Claws & Teeth +8 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +7

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +5, Fortitude +7, Will +5

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 20 / Defenses: 11 (92)

-The only Sphinx generally recognized as evil, the Hieracosphinx has a lion's body, but the head of a falcon. This often gets the more simple-minded creatures mistaken for Griffins, though they can speak and are typically smaller than Gryphons by a considerable way.

Jab's Notes: Another one said to "seek Gynosphinxes", they're also the evil ones. And are pretty redundant with Griffins in the rulebook as well.