Linking powers and advantages

A place to discuss game rules, homebrew systems and the like.
Doctor Vile

Linking powers and advantages

Post by Doctor Vile »

Can you link a use of a power to the use of and advantage? To be specific, I was wondering if you can link the use of the fascinate advantage to the weaken power. I want this character to be able to sing and as long as he sings you are fascinated and your will is weakened at the same time.
Batgirl III

Re: Linking powers and advantages

Post by Batgirl III »

Yes, you can.

If you want to be all pedantically precise about it, you are linking a Power to another Power, in this case Weaken is being linked to Enhanced Trait.

Weaken Will X (Perception Ranged [auditory]) linked to: Enhanced Advantage 1 (Fascinate) [ xxx PP ]
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

I do all the time, I'm glad I'm not egregiously breaking anything. :D
Doctor Vile

Post by Doctor Vile »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 2:31 pm Yes, you can.

If you want to be all pedantically precise about it, you are linking a Power to another Power, in this case Weaken is being linked to Enhanced Trait.

Weaken Will X (Perception Ranged [auditory]) linked to: Enhanced Advantage 1 (Fascinate) [ xxx PP ]
Sweet, I didn't even think about it that way.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Enhanced Trait is an oft overlooked Power, since on first read it’s easy to see it as just Enhanced Ability... But it can be used for so much more than just +X Strength. :D
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

As I use Power Profiles (yeah, yeah, I'm not original) I saw that they like Enhanced Advantage a lot more than Enhanced Attribute, which in turn fuels my use of the power.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 2:40 pm Enhanced Trait is an oft overlooked Power, since on first read it’s easy to see it as just Enhanced Ability... But it can be used for so much more than just +X Strength. :D
Amen to this.

But point of note, linked powers require the same target. Weaken is targeted while enhanced ability is personal range.

Weaken Will X, Area(Perception(Aural)), Reaction (Fascination), Limited (Fascinated targets)
Cost: 4/rank

It is more expensive, but probably more appropriate for the actual effect of locking down a crowd of people with fascinate working as a psudo-selective for the weaken. Reaction is how you link effects that otherwise cannot use the Linked extra due to targeting problems.

You could reasonably also add Distracted to bring the cost down. You can't use fascination in combat anyways, so your defenses are kind of superfluous in situations you would use fascinate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Ahh, yes, Epic is correct. I overlooked the exact mechanical interactions of these Effects when I wrote my first response (in my defense, I was on an airport shuttle at the time and seriously jet-lagged). Mea culpa.

But, I stand by my point about Enhanced Trait. It’s a real workhorse of an Effect and too often overlooked.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

But, I stand by my point about Enhanced Trait. It’s a real workhorse of an Effect and too often overlooked.
And amen again to that. :D Enhanced Trait is an underappreciated beast of a power
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 11:56 pm Ahh, yes, Epic is correct. I overlooked the exact mechanical interactions of these Effects when I wrote my first response (in my defense, I was on an airport shuttle at the time and seriously jet-lagged). Mea culpa.

Yeah, it can justify Limited Skills, Limited Advantages, and a lot of other things.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

You can also attach Extras the same way. This comes up less than Flaws (especially Limited, Distracting, or Tiring) but it can be useful as heck. For example, my build of Beast (Hank McCoy) has the following:

Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness Enhanced Advantages 1 (Fascinate [Expertise Science]; Extra: Action [Free]) [3 PP]

In my learned opinion, this rightly represents Hank's hilariously gregarious garrulousness, providing potential for positively preposterous polysyllabic verbal venom, thus maximizing McCoy's bountiful banter, whilst bouncing beautifully ‘bout the battlefield bludgeonning baddies.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Batgirl III wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:36 am You can also attach Extras the same way. This comes up less than Flaws (especially Limited, Distracting, or Tiring) but it can be useful as heck. For example, my build of Beast (Hank McCoy) has the following:

Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness Enhanced Advantages 1 (Fascinate [Expertise Science]; Extra: Action [Free]) [3 PP]

In my learned opinion, this rightly represents Hank's hilariously gregarious garrulousness, providing potential for positively preposterous polysyllabic verbal venom, thus maximizing McCoy's bountiful banter, whilst bouncing beautifully ‘bout the battlefield bludgeonning baddies.
:: slow golf clap ::
"Something pithy this way comes."
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:36 am You can also attach Extras the same way. This comes up less than Flaws (especially Limited, Distracting, or Tiring) but it can be useful as heck. For example, my build of Beast (Hank McCoy) has the following:

That's not bad,but i've got one up on you BG.I Present to you...THE VILLIANOUS MONOLOGUE!
  • The Villian Monologue Enhanced Advantage 2 (Facinate [Expertise Performance, Persuasion]; Extra: Action [Free] Flaw: Requires Opponents to be Hindered [3PP]
To quote a Famous movie line: "Come at Me,Bro!" ;)
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

MacynSnow wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:31 am

That's not bad,but i've got one up on you BG.I Present to you...THE VILLIANOUS MONOLOGUE!
  • The Villian Monologue Enhanced Advantage 2 (Facinate [Expertise Performance, Persuasion]; Extra: Action [Free] Flaw: Requires Opponents to be Hindered [3PP]
Very nice, but I feel like to be a true Villainous Monologue it should have the Distracting flaw, that way if the hero overcomes it, they're able to strike the villain down in true comic book fashion. ;)
Formerly luketheduke86
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

L-Space wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:19 pm
MacynSnow wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:31 am

Very nice, but I feel like to be a true Villainous Monologue it should have the Distracting flaw, that way if the hero overcomes it, they're able to strike the villain down in true comic book fashion. ;)
Ah,but if the hero is no longer hindered,the power is useless....