Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Native

Post by Jabroniville »

NATIVE
Created By:
Greg Rucka & Darick Robertson
First Appearance: Wolverine #13 (June 2004)
Role: Female Version of Wolverine
PL 9 (121)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE -2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Athletics 8 (+14)
Expertise (Survival) 10 (+12)
Intimidation 8 (+7)
Perception 8 (+10)
Stealth 6 (+11)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Diehard, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons), Improved Initiative 2, Fast Grab, Improved Trip, Power Attack, Startle

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 6 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision, Scent-Tracking, Ultra & Extended Hearing) [6]
"Natural Weapons- Bone Claws" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Split) [3]
"Animal Physiology" Speed 1 (4 mph) [1]
Regeneration 8 [8]

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Claws +12 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +13

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +5, Fortitude +8, Will +6

Complications:
Relationship (Wolverine)- Native and Wolverine were lovers for some time.
Enemy (Sabretooth)- Even after the men who hired him died, Sabretooth carried a grudge against Native.
Disabled (Mute & Illiterate)- The Native is a wild woman, growing up in the great outdoors. She does not speak more than one syllable at a time, nor understand writing.

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 18 / Defenses: 15 (121)

-Native is a completely forgettable character concept that reeks of "wait, didn't they already do this one?", especially as "Female Version of Wolverine" was a thing in X-Men Evolution and X-23 had even debuted in Marvel Comics proper the same year Native first appeared. She is a Wolverine-esque feral mutant captured by the Weapon-X program many years ago, and escaped at the same time Logan did. They spent some time together in a cabin in the hills of British Columbia, becoming lovers for a time. Wolverine left her for some reason, and she was able to successfully fight off Sabretooth, giving me a sign of "Mantis Syndrome" ("Oh look- my Precious Pet defeated an established villain!").

-However, she & Wolverine are captured in modern times, and she's finally slain by Sabretooth after being revealed as pregnant with Logan's child. Creed writes a note in her blood- "I did you a favor, run- you can thank me later". So she's more of an attempt at an "Elektra Story" than what I was suspecting, but died only six months after her debut. Still... ANOTHER "Feral Clawed Mutant" out there in the Weapon-X program? The fact that she can't speak or write properly makes it ultra-weird that she was with Logan romantically.

-Also... "Native" is a weird name for a character. Particularly because it's the most-common term in Canada (at least where I live) for Aboriginal/First Nations/Indian people. It'd be like calling a hero "Latino" or "Black" with no other descriptive text. Maybe Rucka didn't know that? I dunno.

-Native is strong enough to defeat Sabretooth in their first appearance, and tangles with Wolverine several times. In other words, she's another example of Wolverine Lite. Let's say PL 9.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
HalloweenJack

Re: Jab's Builds! (Wolverine! Silver Samurai! Shingen! Native!)

Post by HalloweenJack »

.........So yeah, all the Frankenstein talk made me watch Frankenstein Conquers The World again last night.

Much, much more interesting than the Native.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Going Native is rarely as fun as people initially think.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

That’s clearly just Wildchild in drag.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

I see it in the second picture
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

HalloweenJack wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 3:13 pm .........So yeah, all the Frankenstein talk made me watch Frankenstein Conquers The World again last night.

No wait a minute,Jack.She's not THAT bad a character...she just didn't fit for Wolverine.Maybe another Feral hero like Wild Child(who i personally thought was a much more intresting character after awhile,especially during his early X-Factor run),but not Logan.

.......BTW,how was the Movie?I've never actually seen it....
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

MacynSnow wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 3:40 pm
HalloweenJack wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 3:13 pm .........So yeah, all the Frankenstein talk made me watch Frankenstein Conquers The World again last night.

No wait a minute,Jack.She's not THAT bad a character...she just didn't fit for Wolverine.Maybe another Feral hero like Wild Child(who i personally thought was a much more intresting character after awhile,especially during his early X-Factor run),but not Logan.

wellll....if you like Kaiju movies you probably should like it. There's some iffy effects at times but overall I really enjoy it. I tend to like most things Kaiju or Frankenstein related though
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

HalloweenJack wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 3:47 pm

wellll....if you like Kaiju movies you probably should like it. There's some iffy effects at times but overall I really enjoy it. I tend to like most things Kaiju or Frankenstein related though
If you like Frankenstein stuff,might i suggest the Sir Kenneth Branagh movie Mary Shelley's Frankenstein? It's a suprisingly good movie despite Branagh being a Novice Director at the time....
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Oh yeah, and if Jab is including American kaiju in the set like the Deadly Mantis, I can think of one that should totally be included because of the sheer goofiness of it: The Giant Claw! (Huh, the wikis seems to have expanded to even more non-Godzilla, and even Non-Toho kaiju.)

It's a "bird as big as a battleship" (183 meters/600 feet according to the wiki), and would be a pretty generic Bird Kaiju..except it has a Force Field! Or, rather, an "anti-matter shield".

Also, it looks really goofy. Here's the movie's poster:

Notice how it doesn't show the bird's head.

(And it says something when talking about kaiju movies is more interesting than talking about Native..All I can say about her is that, wow, what a derivative and kinda redundant character.)
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Novice director?

He’d directed five feature-length films and one short film before he did Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein. Three of them were Shakespeare adaptations! He’d also been a very successful live theatre director and producer for about a two decades at that point.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

MacynSnow wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 3:51 pm
HalloweenJack wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 3:47 pm

If you like Frankenstein stuff,might i suggest the Sir Kenneth Branagh movie Mary Shelley's Frankenstein? It's a suprisingly good movie despite Branagh being a Novice Director at the time....

How about some irony?

Last night, when my wife and I were searching for a movie to watch we did indeed watch Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (which I burned to DVD from Encore years ago) mainly because my wife likes it. It's not bad. I'd give it 2 1/2 out of 5, but it's so melodramatic at times that it almost gets silly. This led to me talking about the TNT version of Frankenstein with Randy Quaid in it as the Monster, which I haven't seen in years but I remember as being really good. And talk of various other Frankenstein movies made me hunt out my copy of Frankenstein Conquers The World, taped from TNT in early 1995 and the burned to dvd about 15 years later by me.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 4:00 pm Novice director?

He’d directed five feature-length films and one short film before he did Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein. Three of them were Shakespeare adaptations! He’d also been a very successful live theatre director and producer for about a two decades at that point.
Oh,i thought that was his first Actual high Budget Movie?,my bad then..... :oops:
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

There is only one truly definitive cinematic Frankenstein:

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

and the Giant Claw....yet another movie taped by my younger self from Monstervision on TNT in the early 90s albeit by accident. I stayed up to tape King Kong Lives (for some reason I'm sure), and fell asleep inadvertently taping both Mothra and the Giant Claw after it.

The Giant Claw honestly isn't a bad movie from a storyline and acting standpoint. It's just THAT MONSTER.....wow....what else can you say? It's horrible looking (though it has its own charm as a result of that). If the movie had better effects, then we'd likely remember that more along the lines of the Beast From 20,000 Fathoms than the reputation it has today.

I remember hearing a story about how Jeff Morrow was attending the movie's premiere, having never seen the Claw itself in action once the movie was wrapped. When the titular creature came on screen and the audience broke out into laughter, and that's when he knew it was time to go.

Don't feel bad for him though. Jeff Morrow made some better movies in his time.

...but he's not an alien. :mrgreen:
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Tom Noonan was a pretty decent Frankenstein. I sorta prefer Karloff circa Bride of Frankenstein myself. Heck Clancy Brown wasn't bad in the role either.

Now for me if you're going to talk about a definitive role for one of the monsters in The Monster Squad it would, for me, be Duncan Regehr as Dracula. He was just so wickedly badass in that. Took me years to realize he was also Zorro on that old Family Channel tv show.