What not to do, Part 2

Where we Highlight what not to do.
Scots Dragon

Re: Jab's Rifts Builds

Post by Scots Dragon »

Batgirl III wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 6:09 pm Image
I've been trying to avoid arguing too much based on politics, but please stop using triggered as a joke because that's really not what it means and you're just being kind of a jerk if you actually do use it.
Formerly known as Narsil on the ATT and Ronin Army forums.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Scots Dragon wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 8:41 pm
I've been trying to avoid arguing too much based on politics, but please stop using triggered as a joke because that's really not what it means and you're just being kind of a jerk if you actually do use it.
Wait, just wait, did you just get triggered by the use of triggered? oh my God that's classic.

That one post proves the validity of the meme, and I say that as someone who sufferers from a sever social anxiety disorder who hasn't left their house more than a handful of times in over a decade.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Scots Dragon wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 8:41 pm I've been trying to avoid arguing too much based on politics, but please stop using triggered as a joke because that's really not what it means and you're just being kind of a jerk if you actually do use it.
I am well aware of what the term means in a clinical context, just as you are no doubt aware of what the term means in a colloquial context.

I use the term to poke fun at the alarmist, busybody moralists who cannot take a joke and get irrationally offended at anything. Remember, when I originally posted that reaction .gif it was in response to Ares' use of a .gif from the 1979 Saturday Night Live skit where Dan Akroyd hilariously shuts down Jane Curtain's well-reasoned argument with the words: "Jane, you ignorant slut!" Which is exactly the type of humor that would send hordes of modern moral crusaders racing to Twitter, Tumblr, and Buzzington Postfeed to complain about.

In a world where innocent jokes about the word dongel get men kicked out of tech conferences, an ancient joke about taking the elevator to the ladies' lingerie department threatens a man's tenure, and discussion of a groundbreaking achievement in spaceflight is derailed by outrage over a tacky shirt... Yeah, I'm going to assume that some people would be pissed off by an SNL joke that's older than I am.

Ares and I were having a friendly, elbow-in-the-ribs, back-and-forth over a game franchise that I like and he doesn't care for. He posted a .gif from one of the most hilarious SNL skits, ever, with a man being incrediblye over the top with his misogynistic put down of a woman. So I responded with an equally over the top reaction .gif. That was the joke.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Scots Dragon

Post by Scots Dragon »

M4C8 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 9:39 pm
Wait, just wait, did you just get triggered by the use of triggered? oh my God that's classic.

That one post proves the validity of the meme, and I say that as someone who sufferers from a sever social anxiety disorder who hasn't left their house more than a handful of times in over a decade.
This sort of thing is why I spend long periods reluctant to visit this place.

Like, I'm not actually triggered. I'm pointing out dickish behaviour that's on the same level as laughing and saying 'lol, it's funny 'cause they're in a wheelchair!' given the severity of the disabilities that 'triggered' is associated with, but I'll tell you what I am? Infuriated.

I'm infuriated at seeing a severe condition that people I know suffer from being reduced to a fucking punchline, and if that's a source of comedy for you then you are an arsehole.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Scots Dragon wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:10 pm This sort of thing is why I spend long periods reluctant to visit this place.
As someone that is sick and tired of your overwhelming stinking pile, please please give into the temptation of staying away.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Scots Dragon wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 8:41 pm I've been trying to avoid arguing too much based on politics
You haven't been succeeding, please try harder.. or just.. go away.
Spectrum

Re: Jab's Builds! (The Tall Man! Leatherface! Michael Myers! Pumpkinhead!)

Post by Spectrum »

Scots Dragon wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:46 am
Ares wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:51 am I'm also not looking to chase anyone off of this board because of their politics. I want this to be a place where conversations can happen. I might be the site owner, but this place is not founded on my thoughts on politics, religion, etc. I'm not here to thought police anyone. But if you bring up politics, or respond to an offhand comment about politics and try to engage in a debate, anyone can get involved with said debate, myself included. But as such things can become thread derailing, that's why I give thread starters the option to contact me and ask for posts to be moved to the Debate forum or somewhere similar.

Long story short, if I got too heated in my post or made anyone feel uncomfortable, that was not my intent and I apologize. In which case it's probably best to just focus on what Jab's actually building and leave these debates for other sections of the site.
I might stick around and try to avoid political discussions then, albeit with the note that when/if I start up my build thread that I probably won't refrain from talking about the Marxist themes inherent in the character of Superman, at least during the Golden Age. Though I'll try to keep it to 'hey, it's interesting how these characters reflect certain values and outlooks'.
Again. Failing! Please try harder or go away.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Scots Dragon wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:10 pm

This sort of thing is why I spend long periods reluctant to visit this place.

Like, I'm not actually triggered. I'm pointing out dickish behaviour that's on the same level as laughing and saying 'lol, it's funny 'cause they're in a wheelchair!' given the severity of the disabilities that 'triggered' is associated with, but I'll tell you what I am? Infuriated.

I'm infuriated at seeing a severe condition that people I know suffer from being reduced to a fucking punchline, and if that's a source of comedy for you then you are an arsehole.
Wow, you sure told me, I'm positively apoplectic.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Spectrum

Re: Jab's Builds! (The Tall Man! Leatherface! Michael Myers! Pumpkinhead!)

Post by Spectrum »

Scots Dragon wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:09 am
I wasn't joking when I described myself as an anarcho-communist, with perhaps anarcho-syndicalism or autonomism being a good specific term, so I may well be the most far-left person on the site. Honestly the RoninArmy forums still leaned pretty right-wing compared to me.
Yep, plenty of other places for your kind. Please go the hell away and stop causing fights.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Thank you for not letting that turn you into a hateful PC PoC!
Scots Dragon

Post by Scots Dragon »

Spectrum wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:20 pm
Thank you for not letting that turn you into a hateful PC PoC!
You know I'm a white person, right?
drkrash

Re: Jab's Builds! (Genis-Vell! Phalanx! Wolverine!)

Post by drkrash »

Why are we complaining about a discussion from 9 months ago? I'm confused.
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
Scots Dragon

Re: Jab's Builds! (Genis-Vell! Phalanx! Wolverine!)

Post by Scots Dragon »

drkrash wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:27 pm Why are we complaining about a discussion from 9 months ago? I'm confused.
Context is in Jab's Rifts thread.

I feel kinda bad that this always keeps spilling out into his threads.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

I haven't even posted any builds here yet, LOL. Looks like I'm doomed to be a magnet for outrage.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Enough. This thread is temporarily locked until clean up is complete.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.