Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

The Flame

Post by Jabroniville »

"Wherever you go, I'll be with you
Whatever you want, I'll give it to you
Whenever you need someone
To lay your heart and head upon
Remember, after the fire, after all the rain
I will be the flame!
I will be the FLAAAAAAAAAAAAMMME!!!!"

THE FLAME (Hrinmeer)
Created By:
Tom Graney & Ron Marz
First Appearance: Thor Annual #18 (1993)
Role: Blood Knight
PL 11 (118)
STRENGTH
11 STAMINA 11 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills: 
Expertise (Asgard) 4 (+5)
Intimidation 7 (+9)
Perception 3 (+4)

Advantages:
Equipment (Mystical Armor +2), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Startle

Powers:
"Skulveig" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [6]
Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Penetrating 7, Improved Critical) (10 points)

"Half-Fire Demon, Half-Elf Physiology"
Immunity 11 (Fire Effects, Aging) [11]

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Sculveig +9 (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +11 (+13 Armor), Fortitude +11, Will +4

Complications: 
Enemy (Ex-Wife, Cameron)- Hunter was nearly killed by his wife and her lover.
Motivation (Revenge)

Total: Abilities: 78 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 17 / Defenses: 9 (118)

1993 saw the production of a series of Annuals in the Marvel Universe, each of which featured a brand-new character, and was packaged with a trading card featuring that character. In almost every case, these characters were horrible one-offs and almost none of them ever reappeared. Most are extremely dated to their early-1990s point of creation.

-A child of a rape, Hrinmeer was the son of a Fire Demon and a Light Elf, and was forced to wear a mask by his evil father Skulveig to hide his "ugly" (ie. Elf-like) features. Growing up hardened and mean, Hrinmeer rode into Asgard after slaying his father, taking up his sword and murdering villagers. As "The Flame", he battled Thor, but was seemingly killed after being thrown into fire. His heritage saved him, though, and he made a deal with Loki to murder Thor later. However, Loki soon abandoned his ally, leading the Flame to team up with Pluto, who sent him and Cerberus after Thor. He defeated Thor using Cerberus's venomous fangs (which had dripped over his sword), but Pluto told him to slay him in front of ODIN, which is a pretty stupid idea. So the Flame dragged Thor to Asgard, attacking Loki's wife in the process, drawing in the Lord of Lies to aide Thor.

-It was ten more years before someone remembered Hrinmeer, as he joined Loki's assault on Asgard, but was killed by someone named Harokin.

-Hrinmeer, as "The Flame", is a pretty scary villain compared to the other "1993 Annual" dorks, owing to the fact that he was a repeated villain of THOR, even DEFEATING the Thunder God in one battle! Assistance from Cerberus or not, that's impressive. He's a pretty standard "hits hard" kind of guy, though, and quite limited.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davies

Re: Jab's Builds! (Sailor Saturn! Pharaoh 90! Marvel's 1993 Annuals!)

Post by Davies »

... after that last one, I'm hesitant to bring it up, but ... doesn't the Martian Manhunter sometimes swear "by Hronmeer's ghost"?
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jack of Spades

Post by Jack of Spades »

I used to be cheerful. Then I binged on the Elric novels.

The hell with everything.
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Jack of Spades wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 3:23 am I used to be cheerful. Then I binged on the Elric novels.

The hell with everything.
Why do you think i stick with Stephen King?

Now if you'll excuse me,i have a Dark Tower to uninfest of Weird Quasi-Religious Cowboy's.....
Jabroniville

Wildstreak

Post by Jabroniville »

WILDSTREAK (Tamika Bowden)
Created By:
Tom DeFalco & Herb Trimpe
First Appearance: The Fantastic Four Annual #26 (1993)
Role: Speedster
PL 7 (89)
STRENGTH
1/6 STAMINA 2 AGILITY -3/5
FIGHTING 6/8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills: 
Deception 2 (+5)
Insight 2 (+4)
Perception 2 (+4)
Technology 4 (+7)

Advantages:
Improved Initiative

Powers:
"Exoskeleton" (Flaws: Removable) [36]
Enhanced Strength 5 (10)
Enhanced Agility 8 (16)
Enhanced Fighting 2 (4)
Enhanced Skills: Athletics 6 (+12) (3)
Enhanced Advantages: Agile Feint, Move-By Action (2)
Protection 3 (5)
Speed 5 (60 mph) (5)
-- (45 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Exoskeleton +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +1 (+9 Exoskeleton, DC 11-19), Parry +8 (+10 Exoskeleton, DC 18-20), Toughness +2 (+5 Suit), Fortitude +4, Will +5

Complications: 
Disabled (Crippled)- Tamika cannot walk without the use of her exoskeleton.
Power Loss (Exoskeleton)- The more it's taxed, the more power the exoskeleton loses.

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 36 / Defenses: 11 (89)

1993 saw the production of a series of Annuals in the Marvel Universe, each of which featured a brand-new character, and was packaged with a trading card featuring that character. In almost every case, these characters were horrible one-offs and almost none of them ever reappeared. Most are extremely dated to their early-1990s point of creation.

-Wildstreak actually doesn't have a bad name, but it comes off very dated these days. Her father was once a HYDRA agent, but he left the group when his wife became pregnant. She herself was nearly forcibly recruited into the organization, and when she refused, they robbed her of the use of her legs. Her gymnastics career ruined, she and her father decided to develop one of those "Form-Fitting Exoskeletons" that are easy enough to build that nobody in Marvel's America should ever actually be crippled. She thus becomes the superhero "Wildstreak". She teams up with the Fantastic Four against the villain "Dreadface" (jesus...). 

-Since Tom DeFalco created her, he re-used her in his other books- she shows up in Thunderstrike, where she realizes her boyfriend is now working for the arms dealer that cost her her mobility. The boy later dies at the hands of the vigilante Sangre. Many years now go by, before Wildstreak shows up in Civil War, being apprehended as part of the Superhuman Registration Act. She escapes detection thanks to the efforts of the Invisible Woman, who protects Wildstreak from her own husband. Her only other appearance is during AXIS, where a newly-heroic Roderick Kingsley mentors many young heroes, including her. She is beaten by Phil Urich when he invades Kingsley's HQ.

-Not a bad little character, truth be told. Aside from the SUPER-generic powers, her origin story is nice and uplifting (she decides to be a superhero out of a responsibility for the great powers she has), you feel sorry for her (her gymnastics career ruined by criminals), and more. It's too bad the era was unkind to all of these guys. As it stands, she's about a PL 7 nothing Speedster/Fighter with low-grade super-strength.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Wildstreak,Annex&Hitmaker were my Favorite characters from the set.Heck,if you upgraded them to PL 10 they'd make a decent core for a PC Hero Team(especially if you only have 3-4 players in your group).
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

MacynSnow wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 4:20 am Wildstreak,Annex&Hitmaker were my Favorite characters from the set.Heck,if you upgraded them to PL 10 they'd make a decent core for a PC Hero Team(especially if you only have 3-4 players in your group).
Yeah, in some cases, I felt like these guys were salvageable. Wildstreak in particular has a good origin story, good pathos, a fun-looking power-set and a decent look if they didn't go too hard on the metallic limbs. Hell, she's even a good Minority Hire!

It's fun looking at their histories and seeing which ones succeeded and which ones just faded away. Most of them NEVER reappeared; in some cases, we got the third Captain Marvel or "recurring Dr. Strange character" out of it.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 5:40 am
MacynSnow wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 4:20 am Wildstreak,Annex&Hitmaker were my Favorite characters from the set.Heck,if you upgraded them to PL 10 they'd make a decent core for a PC Hero Team(especially if you only have 3-4 players in your group).
Yeah, in some cases, I felt like these guys were salvageable. Wildstreak in particular has a good origin story, good pathos, a fun-looking power-set and a decent look if they didn't go too hard on the metallic limbs. Hell, she's even a good Minority Hire!

It's fun looking at their histories and seeing which ones succeeded and which ones just faded away. Most of them NEVER reappeared; in some cases, we got the third Captain Marvel or "recurring Dr. Strange character" out of it.
Which is kindof sad really,with Marvel being all on the Minority Train lately....

I could picture Annex using his Company to fund the Super team, Hitmaker using his Hollywood connections as the Team "Face",while Wildstreak goes out and recruites the PCs.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Wildstreak is what I would consider a good character in many other settings, but in the MU she's a third stringer at best, due to the overabbundance of similar one-note characters ... a pity.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Ya know I was thinking....and it will never happen....but I remember Jab's old legion of suck tournament with all the jobber teams and was thinking throw his Marvel 93 builds and Kreuz's Bloodlines builds into a big battle royale and see who comes out on top
Jabroniville

Charon

Post by Jabroniville »

CHARON (Charles Ronalds)
Created By:
Peter David & Larry Stroman
First Appearance: X-Factor Annual #8 (1993)
Role: Hellish Character
PL 7 (65)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Intimidation 6 (+6)
Perception 4 (+4)

Advantages:
Equipment 2 (Diabolic Gondola- Flying Boat), Ranged Attack 4, Startle

Powers:
"Mystic Staff" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [10]
Blast 8 (16 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Mystic Staff Blast +6 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +3

Complications:
Hatred (Mutants)- Charlie's parents were killed by a Mutant, leading him to a lifelong hatred of their kind.
Responsibility (Satannish's Will)- Charlie now works for one of Marvel's main Demon Lords.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 10 / Defenses: 10 (65)

-Peter David's inclusion into the 1993 Annuals mess, Charon acts like the Greek "Ferryman" Charon, but is actually a human being. He witnessed his parents killed as a youth, and the killer is believed to be Random- he grew up in foster homes, and developed a deep hatred of Mutants. He became best friends with Guido Carosella in High School, but ended the relationship when it turned out that Guido was a mutant (he would of course later become X-Factor's "Strong Guy"). When he was injured trying to hurt Guido, he gained a permanent limp and an interest in the occult, making a deal with the demon "Cloot". He thus gained superhuman powers, which he used to hunt down X-Factor.

-Strong Guy recognized this "Charon" as his old friend, and was forced to watch as the "Devil" swallowed up Charon upon realizing he could not maintain his promise of delivering X-Factor's souls to him. He was reunited with his parents- a prostitute and her pimp. The highlight of the issue seems to be Satannish- the "Devil" in this story- using the PC germ "Geecee" (Genetically Challenged) to refer to Mutants, and when Charon reacts with disdain, the Demon Lord merely replies "Who do you think invented Political Correctness?".

-Charon has a very, VERY short bio, so all I can glean is that he's got a Mystic Staff and a flying gondola.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shock

Post by Shock »

CHARON - CHArles RONalds

That's some next level creativity right there
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Shock wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 2:44 pm CHARON - CHArles RONalds

Hey,Aleteration's an Authors Best Friend.:D

This was my main problem with Marvels '93 annuals: They mixed-up which villian went with each hero.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Shock wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 2:44 pm CHARON - CHArles RONalds

That was Marvel at their finest--in the '90's! :lol:
Jabroniville

Captain Marvel (Genis)

Post by Jabroniville »

CAPTAIN MARVEL III (Genis-Vell, aka Legacy, Photon II)
Created By:
Ron Marz & Ron Lim
First Appearance: Silver Surfer Annual #6 (1993)
Role: Super-Aged Son, Legacy Character
PL 13 (202)
STRENGTH
12/15 STAMINA 13 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (Cosmic Lore) 4 (+6)
Expertise (Space Traveller) 5 (+7)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 6 (+8)
Perception 4 (+6)
Ranged Combat (Cosmic Blasts) 3 (+10)
Technology 3 (+5)
Vehicles 3 (+5)

Advantages:
Attractive, Diehard, Evasion, Extraordinary Effort, Improved Critical (Cosmic Blasts) 2, Interpose, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5, Well-Informed

Powers:
"Cosmic Mind"
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Space) [2]
Senses 1 (Communication Link- Rick Jones) [1]

"Cosmic Awareness"
Features 1: Directed Inspiration- May ask the GM a Question With an HP [1]
Senses 1 (Cosmic Awareness- Ranged 3) [4]

"The Nega-Bands"
Cosmic Blast 14 (Feats: Split, Extended Range 2, Penetrating 8) (39) -- [44]
  • AE: "Wide-Angle Burst" Damage 12 (Extras: Area- 120ft. Cone +2) (36)
  • AE: "Cosmic Stream" Damage 12 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Line +2) (36)
  • AE: "Energy Siphoning" Nullify Energy Powers 13 (Extras: Ranged, Broad) (39)
  • AE: "Boost Strength" Enhanced Strength 3 & Power-Lifting 5 (6,400 tons) (11)
  • AE: Movement 3 (Time Travel 3) (Extras: Portal +2) (12)
Flight 12 (8,000 mph) [24]
Movement 1 (Space Travel 1) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Boosted Strength +10 (+15 Damage, DC 30)
Cosmic Blast +10 (+14 Ranged Damage, DC 29)
Cosmic Area Attacks +12 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +13, Fortitude +13, Will +8

Complications:
Responsibility (Legacy of Mar-Vell)
Relationship (Rick Jones)- The two were argumentative at first, but Genis & Rick came to become good friends.
Relationship (Songbird)- Genis is close with the troubled young Thunderbolts hero.
Responsibility (Insane)- Genis' Cosmic Awareness has been known to drive him insane from time to time.

Total: Abilities: 88 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 78 / Defenses: 6 (202)

Ugh, This Goddamn Origin:
-Long-time readers of mine will remember that my LEAST FAVORITE TROPE EVER is that of "Super-Aged Kids". Genis is part of that ever-annoying trend in comics (and teenage vampire-themed romance novels, apparently), where adult comic book characters gain all the storylines that come up when children are involved, but without all that messy planning or writing that requires the actual birthing & raising of children. So instead, lazy writers simply go "uh... he's got this kid. But he's never met him because he was ARTIFICIALLY-AGED so we can tell stories about an adult who can fight instead of some boring kid". It is the most hack-ish, lazy-ass, BORING kind of story you could possibly write, and everyone involved with stories like that should be drawn and quartered.

-And thus, Genis. And his eventual sister, Phyla-Vell. Both were birthed because Captain Mar-Vell's ladyfriend used his "seed" after his death to make some babies. She of course SUPER-AGES Genis so that he can be tough and defend himself (and because she wants children, but already-adult ones without diapers and stuff, I guess). Primarily to justify the stories, though.

Legacy:
-And yes, Genis-Vell actually debuted under the same circumstances as The X-Cutioner, Adam-X (THE X-TREME!), Lazarus and all these other douches. He is, in fact, a "1993 Annual" character, debuting as "Legacy" and getting his own Trading Card. You can tell it was the '90s because he's wearing one of those stupid "Jim Lee Faceless Masks" that prevent anyone from deducing his identity by recognizing his ears.

-Unlike, well, ever other "1993 Annual" character, Legacy continued on as a regular feature (WildPride and Adam-X also showed up a few times, but petered out after a year or two), usually in Silver Surfer or another cosmic-themed book. He is brainwashed into thinking he had a normal child, and is the son of Starfox, but soon learns the truth. Fabian Nicieza & Ed Benes wrote a Captain Marvel series featuring him, which goes back to the old "Captain Marvel Lawsuits"- Marvel currently owns the rights to the name, because DC was dumb and couldn't hold onto it, and all Marvel has to do to justify owning it is release a Captain Marvel book every once in a while. So Monica Rambeau (the '80s Cap) had one, and then Genis got one. The story was apparently quite embarrassing, and featured Genis beating Monica in a fight to earn the rights to the name "Captain Marvel". It was cancelled abruptly- the unpublished (but still written) issues were summarized by Nicieza much later.

Captain Marvel:
-The character was a non-factor until Avengers Forever, where he was chosen as one of the "Avengers of the future", alongside Songbird (then a Thunderbolt). There, Carlos Pacheco made him look REALLY COOL, and he was eventually paired up with Rick Jones, sharing the old "One is trapped in another universe while the other is in the main universe" thing the old Mar-Vell series used. This led to a regular Captain Marvel series once more, written by Peter David in full "Comics Are Weird and Funny" mode, poking fun at genre conventions, certain tropes, and re-using a bunch of his old Hulk cast. As I "get" PAD's sense of humor way more than the "BWAHAHAHAHAAH!" idiocy of Keith Giffen, I quite liked the stuff I read. The series is quite well-liked, though of course constantly flirted with cancellation, owing to it starring a new-ish character with a legacy that was never really that big a seller in the first place. It did help PAD with a bet with Bill Jemas, though- Jemas thought the insane, ridiculous Marville would sell better, but was proven VERY wrong.

-Captain Marvel lasted for 35 issues this time, then another 25 with a relaunch. During the course of the book, Genis struggled with the insanity that Cosmic Awareness brought him. He destroys the multiverse once, but it's restored, along with a new adult sister named Phyla-Vell. He eventually has to kill his infant son in the future because he grows into a madman- something that hurts him greatly.

Well I Guess He's Dead:
-Fabian Nicieza would return to the character periodically, writing part of the CM series that David didn't, and would include him with a relaunched Thunderbolts. However, he's beaten to death by Atlas for interfering in the relationship of Songbird (whom CM likes) and Abe Jenkins (Atlas is a HUGE Shipper for them, pushed further by The Purple Man). He resurrects thanks to his own power and Baron Zemo's newly-cosmic might, and chooses to take the name... Photon. This creates a pretty funny gag, as he's attacked by Monica Rambeau for stealing her NEW name, but she ultimately chooses the name "Pulsar", which is part of why everyone just calls her "Monica Rambeau" now, since she later adopted ANOTHER name (Spectrum). However (and this bit is confusing as HELL in the story; Nicieza wrote a very incredulous, hard to understand book around this time), Zemo realizes that siphoning energy from the beginning and end of time to resurrect Genis created a link that will ultimately doom all existence. He & Genis failed to create a solution... so Zemo eventually just wipes him out, separating him into multiple pieces so they can't be reunited.

-This was written in *2006*, and the character has yet to reappear, which is an ETERNITY to be dead in modern Marvel Comics. Genis I guess is just an untouchable character at this point- his sister Phyla had some luck with Guardians of the Galaxy, but that book soon shifted to the "Movie-Only" roster, getting rid of her entirely. Carol Danvers became the all-new Captain Marvel in her always-controversial solo book, and will be starring in a movie by that name, so the name's as good as hers for good. Genis... well, all he's got going for him is "Super-Confusing Backstory" and "Peter David Wrote a Book That Was Always Teetering On Cancellation", so he'll probably never be back in a big way. He'll probably get a forgettable resurrection here or there, though- just enough writers and characters know about him to make it "worthwhile" on some level.

The Powers of Genis:
-Genis is supposedly powerful enough to kill ETERNITY, but his basic Power Level is much more normalized- Atlas is able to beat him near-death pretty effectively. He might get more powerful sometimes. He's a pretty generic Cosmic Guy otherwise, being a PL 12 Blaster with some PL 12.5 super-strength thrown in.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.