Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Batgirl III

Re: Jab's Builds! (The Witches 5! Kaolinite! Sailor Saturn! Pharaoh 90!)

Post by Batgirl III »

Interesting character in a novel doesn't necessarily translate to interesting character in an RPG, ain't no one interested in having Humbert Humbert join their D&D party, even if Lolita is included on lists best English-language novels of the 20th Century.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Scots Dragon

Post by Scots Dragon »

To bring this round to something approaching on-topic.

Elric is actually a character who's been published in Marvel books before. He interacted with Conan the Barbarian in a crossover written by Michael Moorcock himself, first appearing in Conan the Barbarian #14-15 in a team up story.

Hint-hint.
Formerly known as Narsil on the ATT and Ronin Army forums.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Scots Dragon wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 4:38 am To bring this round to something approaching on-topic.

Elric is actually a character who's been published in Marvel books before. He interacted with Conan the Barbarian in a crossover written by Michael Moorcock himself, first appearing in Conan the Barbarian #14-15 in a team up story.

Hint-hint.
Those are the few Conan comics i don't have,where'd you get them?
FYI;I own a lot of Conan and Tarzan books&comics. :D
Scots Dragon

Post by Scots Dragon »

MacynSnow wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 5:18 am
Scots Dragon wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 4:38 am To bring this round to something approaching on-topic.

Hint-hint.
Those are the few Conan comics i don't have,where'd you get them?
FYI;I own a lot of Conan and Tarzan books&comics. :D
I mostly found out through scans and finding out on some forum or wiki that Elric had been in the Conan comics. Can't quite remember where, though.
Jabroniville

Dreamkiller

Post by Jabroniville »

LOL, way to give if your best effort with a design, guys!

DREAMKILLER (Alex Tennyson)
Created By:
Danny Fingeroth & Aaron Lopresti
First Appearance: Darkhawk Annual #2 (1993)
Role: Big Guy
PL 7 (98)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Expertise (Magic) 4 (+6)
Intimidation 5 (+7)
Perception 3 (+4)
Ranged Combat (Heat Beams) 2 (+8)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Ritualist

Powers:
"Astral Mist" Insubstantial 3 (15) -- [16]
  • AE: "Heat Beams" Blast 6 (12)
Flight 1 (4 mph) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Heat Beams +8 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +7, Fortitude +7, Will +2

Complications:
Motivation (Magical Power)- Alex's obsession with power led to the dissolution of his marriage.
Power Loss (All Powers, Lack of Amulet)- An Amulet is required for Alex's powered-up form/possession.
Relationship (Ex-Wife)

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 18 / Defenses: 5 (98)

1993 saw the production of a series of Annuals in the Marvel Universe, each of which featured a brand-new character, and was packaged with a trading card featuring that character. In almost every case, these characters were horrible one-offs and almost none of them ever reappeared. Most are extremely dated to their early-1990s point of creation.

-Wow- had to go to Writeups.org for this guy- he's not even on Marvunapp! Dreamkiller is an occultist kid who found a talisman that let him share his body with an otherworldly presence. He wanted power like Doctor Strange or Baron Mordo, but instead got turned into a green Jobber Villain. He attacked his ex-wife and her husband, but couldn't kill the man in front of his son, so killed some cops instead. He fled when Darkhawk discovered his true identity. I'm not sure if they ever resolved any of this. He's just a fairly strong guy with some low-end Magical Powers.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Davies

Post by Davies »

MacynSnow wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 5:18 am Those are the few Conan comics i don't have,where'd you get them?
Those issues get a bookshelf format reprint when the Conan license was at Dark Horse, which is where I read 'em. This is the volume.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Davies

Re: Dreamkiller

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 5:40 am
Seems fairly typical of who he was fighting, though.
MacynSnow

Re: Dreamkiller

Post by MacynSnow »

Davies wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 5:43 am
Jabroniville wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 5:40 am
Seems fairly typical of who he was fighting, though.
Now,the Darkhawk series wasn't THAT bad.In another timeframe(i'd say late 80s,really early 90s,like 1991 early) he'd a been an ok character....
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

I think any commentary on Drizzt and whoever Elric is (god, I fail at Fantasy & Sci-Fi SO HARD) counts as on-topic.

Here's the one bit of Khaos trivia I found when I statted him shortly before The Incident: https://www.cbr.com/comic-book-legends-revealed-564/3/
“I’ll freely admit that the Khaos character was an exercise in self-indulgence. Somewhere on a blog at some point a comics fan very astutely identified him as a ‘Mary Sue’; a character that’s an embarrassingly idealized stand-in for the writer himself as he inserts himself into an existing fictional universe. Khaos was indeed that, because he was a close adaptation of the Dungeons and Dragons character I played during my high school and college years. What can I say? I was young!”
Skolnik's bio on Wikipedia indicates a huge D&D fandom, and "The one good member of an evil race" was hardly a rare trope, even when Drizzt came out, so perhaps he's original in conception. It's the APPEARANCE that's questionable- the whole "Dark Elf" thing seems a little too on-the-nose, when combined with his twin blades. I'm guessing that either the writer or the artist was agog over the then-new Drizzt (debuting only 5 years earlier, near as I can tell), and went REALLY obvious with it.
Davies

Post by Davies »

It's worth noting that the "two weapon fighting" bit was originally a racial ability of the drow, as presented in Unearthed Arcana, rather than a class ability of rangers. So it's possible that Mr. Skolnick was playing a heroic double wielding drow before he'd heard of Drizzt.
Batgirl III

Re: Jab's Builds! (Sailor Saturn! Pharaoh 90! Marvel's 1993 Annuals!)

Post by Batgirl III »

“Dreamkiller” really is an awesome name for a super-villain though, I gotta give him that.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 6:08 am “Dreamkiller” really is an awesome name for a super-villain though, I gotta give him that.
I was STUNNED when I learned he wasn't a Sleepwalker villain. I was like "bwuh? But that's PERFECT!"
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 6:11 am
Batgirl III wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 6:08 am “Dreamkiller” really is an awesome name for a super-villain though, I gotta give him that.
I was STUNNED when I learned he wasn't a Sleepwalker villain. I was like "bwuh? But that's PERFECT!"
I think they were supposed to have him&Sleepwalker's dude swapped, but they forgot to do it before it went to press....
Scots Dragon

Post by Scots Dragon »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 5:54 am I think any commentary on Drizzt and whoever Elric is (god, I fail at Fantasy & Sci-Fi SO HARD) counts as on-topic.
*cracks knuckles*

Okay then.

Elric of Melniboné, created by Michael Moorcock, is pretty much the gold standard for the cursed anti-hero in sword and sorcery fantasy and exists arguably as the second-largest icon of that subgenre next to Conan himself. Oddly enough he was designed from the ground up as the anti-Conan, and does actually exist as something of an inversion of the traditional conventions associated with the genre. Or at least the conventions that were associated with the genre back in the 1960s. A good five decades of development and a rippling effect on the rest of the genre have, sadly, diminished some of the uniqueness that Elric had.

In most ways, Elric zigs in pretty much every area that Conan zags. Rather than being a physical specimen he's a sickly and gaunt albino kept alive only through extensive alchemical medication at first, and later the gifts of his magic sword. If deprived of these he would become too physically ill to do so much as move, and would likely perish within a few days. Where Conan is more known for his travel-savvy and cunning, Elric is a scholar and a philosopher who grew up largely sequestered in his father's library. Instead of being distrustful of magic and sorcery and the evils it can bring, Elric is more than willing to dabble in the arts of sorcery for his own personal gain and power, and has in fact sworn long-term service to Arioch, one of the Lords of Chaos.

He's the ruler of the stagnant and dying Empire of Melniboné. The peoples of Melniboné are, effectively, much like elves in that they exist as a sort of 'superior' type to humans, though there's little evidence of extended lifespans and such. Instead their superiority is mostly self-delusion, and they lack any sort of morality or conscience when compared to humans, being likened more to predatory cats.

And of course there is Elric's magical sword, Stormbringer. One of a set of runeblades, the black sword is in truth the assumed form of a powerful demon, and it not only feasts upon the souls of those that it slays but must be kept regularly fed otherwise it attempts to take control of Elric itself. Upon slaying a given foe, the sword will transfer the strength of its victim to Elric himself, augmenting his typically diminished physical strength.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Huh- sounds interesting. I like the idea of a deluded race of arrogant beings. That really does sound like something cats would be if they were sentient, LOL.

Stormbringer sounds a lot like Dane Whitman's Ebony Blade. Makes me wonder if the Marvel version is more or less a copy.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon May 21, 2018 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.