(Opinion Piece)Best RPG world to be stuck in

General discussions about role-playing games. Share stories, ask for advice, talk about the industry, etc.
MacynSnow

(Opinion Piece)Best RPG world to be stuck in

Post by MacynSnow »

If you yourself got stuck in an RPG world,which would it be-why would it be the best place for you and would you try to find a way back home?

Floors open,so let's here 'em people! :D
Batgirl III

Re: (Opinion Piece)Best RPG world to be stuck in

Post by Batgirl III »

Am I a Player Character (and if so, do I get to pick my own stats) or am I an Non-Player Character (and if so, am I important to the plot or just a random, everyday civilian)?

If I have to be a generic, everyday civilian, then I want to be stuck in the any of the Star Trek RPGs, except the ones based on Starfleet Battles, and preferably one set during the TNG/DS9/VOY era... Get myself a nice Warp 6 Freighter with a good replicator and a decent holo-suite, then cruise the Bajor-Betazed-Sol triangle trade route.

If I'm a Player Character (and I get to write my own stats) then I'm diving into the Freedom City or DC Adventures RPGs. I don't think I need to explain the appeal there.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Hmm for em I love the diea behind both Freedom City and the Champions Hero Setting for Supers both are fun and have lots of silver agey stuff to them.

For Sci Fi Star Wars of course

For Fantasy World OF Warcraft has a lot of story potential
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Looking over my dusty bookshelf, how about:

HeartQuest, Romantic Roleplaying in the Worlds of Shoujo Manga

Other ideas:
Blue Planet
Nobilis
7th Sea
Dream Park
Iron/Jade Paw
Fairy, Queen and Country / Castle Falkenstein
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Spectrum wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 2:42 pm Looking over my dusty bookshelf, how about:

HeartQuest, Romantic Roleplaying in the Worlds of Shoujo Manga

Other ideas:
Blue Planet
Nobilis
7th Sea
Dream Park
Iron/Jade Paw
Fairy, Queen and Country / Castle Falkenstein
Ah,but which ONE would be the best for you to be stuck in?
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I guess it would depend on whether or not I'm a "player character" in said universe or not.

I mean, if I get to go to the Marvel or DC Universes and build myself a PL 10 / 150 point M&M character, that's one thing. If I go there exactly like I am now, then it's another. Much as Gwenpool (who I'm really not a fan of) would have us believe otherwise, comic universe knowledge isn't an automatic gateway to power, fame, etc. It's not like we remember where every villain base, misplaced power suit, magic item and the like exist, or that we're guaranteed to get superpowers if we expose ourselves to radiation or cosmic rays.

In both settings there's a chance you can learn magic, but there's no guarantee that you'll be all that powerful as a mystic. And you can become a martial arts master, but the best you'll likely be able to achieve is something akin to the Robins or Nightwing. It'd be pretty hard for even someone with an encyclopedic knowledge of comics to get superpowers reliably in either setting. You'd need to be able to research when and where you enter either setting, plan things out in extreme detail, and hope for the best.

And being a normal civilian in a superhero setting would be a mixed bag. Fun to see those heroes, possibly benefit from advanced technology (especially in the Champions settings) but there's always the chance you get to be one of the civilians killed on-panel to demonstrate how lethal the threat of the week is.

Most fantasy settings are basically stories of normal people attaining great power, but as much fun as a fantasy setting might be, I'd miss a lot of the conveniences of modern life.

Star Wars would be a pretty solid choice. I'd actually be tempted to pick the old Street Fighter RPG, since the whole point there is that you can achieve some remarkable levels of power purely through training. And then there's the old Dragon Ball Z RPG where you can not only achieve a lot fo power through training, but you find some convenient wish granting Dragon Balls as well.

Places to avoid like the plague would be Dark Sun, Warhammer 40K, Ravenloft and the World of Darkness.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ken

Post by Ken »

I'd want to be in my own RC Universe.
Mel Brooks wrote:It's good to be the king.
Last edited by Ken on Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Bunnies & Burrows
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Yojimbo wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 2:23 pm Bunnies & Burrows
Nooo! Haven’t you read Watership Down!?
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Batgirl III wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 2:29 pm
Yojimbo wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 2:23 pm Bunnies & Burrows
Nooo! Haven’t you read Watership Down!?
Sure. It's one of my all-time favorites.

I am also not a rabbit. I think I'd be ok.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

That’s why I asked about if we were PCs or NPCs, being a human in Bunnies & Burrows is like being Hastur in Call of Cthulhu.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Golden Sky Stories.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Beleriphon

Post by Beleriphon »

Eberron. Without a doubt Eberron.