ThunderCats Roar

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
BriarThrone

Re: ThunderCats Roar

Post by BriarThrone »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 8:26 pm I could see this concept working a lot better with He-Man and the Masters of the Universe property, actually.
... I kinda want to hear your rationale, but I'm worried that it will make me angrier.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

I think I see where she's coming from. like 80's Skeletor.

I love the guy, but I could easily see he, or most of the other characters, taken in a much more comedic direction.

I'd still rather it didn't happen, but I can see it
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

First, let's be clear, none of these classic early Eighties action-adventure cartoons are really as good as our nostalgia filters make them seem in hindsight: G.I. Joe, Robotech, Thundercats, Masters of the Universe... If you haven't rewatched them as an adult, honestly, you're probably better off. Hold on to your fond memories.

But, even then, He-Man was always far sillier and more willing to poke fun at itself than any of the others. The show also feature far more "hijinks" than the other shows. Hell, it basically had four comic relief characters with Orko, Cringor, Prince Adam, and Ram-Man. Then you had Skeletor and every single minion he had being buffoons. Thundercats had comic relief and silly moments, but He-Man was pretty much built on pure camp.

The He-Man fanbase also seems more willing to laugh at themselves and the show than other fanbases, from the beloved Four Non Blondes video that was one of the earlies viral videos around to the more recent Dirty Dancing video... He-Man just seems to lend itself better to comedy.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

It's true that the show was never quality entertainment, but I loved it as a kid. I'd much rather see a reboot that attempts to make it truly epic (with, yeah, a sense of humor) than an attempt to cash in on the name that is drawn like crap and written for modern soy-laden sensibilities. The latter has zero appeal for fans, and no name recognition value among the potential new fanbase.
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

You know what gets me? The guy on the video claiming that he saw the originals. He's not old enough to have.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Chris Brady wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 12:12 am You know what gets me? The guy on the video claiming that he saw the originals. He's not old enough to have.
You know that DVDs are a thing, right? They literally show the boxed sets in this video.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Scots Dragon

Post by Scots Dragon »

Batgirl III wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 12:17 am
Chris Brady wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 12:12 am You know what gets me? The guy on the video claiming that he saw the originals. He's not old enough to have.
You know that DVDs are a thing, right? They literally show the boxed sets in this video.
Also pretty much all of these series were re-ran and syndicated on cartoon channels well into the 2000s.
Formerly known as Narsil on the ATT and Ronin Army forums.
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

Scots Dragon wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:44 am
Batgirl III wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 12:17 am
Also pretty much all of these series were re-ran and syndicated on cartoon channels well into the 2000s.
After that video either of you honestly believe he even watched an episode of the 2011 reboot??
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Oh, goody! My least-favorite kind of animation combined with my least-favorite kind of comedy, AND it's based around a cartoon that's nowhere NEAR as good as I remembered it as being! Where can I sign up to watch every episode?
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

HalloweenJack wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 8:51 pm I think I see where she's coming from. like 80's Skeletor.

I love the guy, but I could easily see he, or most of the other characters, taken in a much more comedic direction.

QUIET, you BUMBLING BOOB!
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 12:28 pm Oh, goody! My least-favorite kind of animation combined with my least-favorite kind of comedy, AND it's based around a cartoon that's nowhere NEAR as good as I remembered it as being! Where can I sign up to watch every episode?
Y'know, I still kinda want to see those Thundercats builds, if only just for Mumm-Ra and SAFARI JOE!
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 12:28 pm
HalloweenJack wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 8:51 pm I think I see where she's coming from. like 80's Skeletor.

I didn't want to do this to you.....well I did but......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ5LpwO-An4
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

Yes, He-Man had some serious camp and comedy, but it didn't shy away from some serious topics.

For examples, Prince Adam's struggles to keep his identities apart, while his father wished that his son was more like the hero He-Man. There were several episodes in which Adam was shown to have problems with that.

Then there's Orko, who left at one point, after a lot of soul searching and realizing that he was causing more harm than help on Eternia. I think he came back anyway, but he did have a lot of internal conflict over his apparent lack of ability.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

HalloweenJack wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 2:47 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 12:28 pm

I didn't want to do this to you.....well I did but......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ5LpwO-An4
'Jack,don't do it!This isn't his thread,he'll....too late....Only thing i can tell everybody here is RUN&DON'T LOOK BACK!...
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

*cue random poster (let's say Ares) walking in asking "Hey...what's going on?"*