Batgirl III's Character Thread (Simon Baz, Lady Shiva)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Batgirl III

Re: Batgirl III's Character Thread

Post by Batgirl III »

ONDORI-SHISHO
Rifts Character
Power Level 10 ( 150 PP )

Animaniacs wrote:He's a chicken, I tell ya! A giant chicken!
ABILITIES
Strength 2
Stamina 3
Agility 8
Dexterity 5
Fighting 10
Intellect 4
Awareness 2
Presence 0

SKILLS
Acrobatics 3 (+8), Athletics 3 (+5), Close Combat [Archaic Melee Weapons] 4 (+14), Expertise [Bushido] 4 (+8), Expertise [Calligraphy] 1 (+5), Expertise [Demon & Monster Lore] 1 (+5), Intimidation 5 (+3), Ranged Combat [Archery] 3 (+12), Stealth 0 (+9), Survival 1 (+5), Treatment 1 (+5)

ADVANTAGES
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Benefit [Ambidextrous], Defensive Attack, Equipment (2), Improved Aim, Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative (1), Improved Smash, Languages (3), Power Attack, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack (4), Startle, Takedown (1), Weapon Bind

POWERS
Mutant Chicken Senses 1 (Visual: Ultravision; E: Innate [1]); Shrinking 4 (-1 Size, -1 Strength; +2 Dodge, +2 Parry; +4 Stealth, -2 Intimidation; E: Innate [1]) [ 11 PP ]
Mega-Damage Samurai Armor Protection 5 (E: Impervious [5], Subtle [1]) [ 11 PP ]
Rune Katana Damage 4 (Strength-based; E: Improved Critical [1], Penetrating [5]) [ 10 PP ]
AE: Rune Wakisashi Damage 3 (Strength-based; E: Improved Critical [1], Penetrating [5]) [ 1 PP ]

EQUIPMENT ( 10 EP )
Longbow & Arrows Damage 3 (E: Extended Range [1], Ranged) [ 7 EP ]
AE: Yari Spear Damage 4 (Strength-based; E: Improved Critical [1], Reach [1], Split [1]) [ 1 EP ]
Binoculars [ 1 EP ]
Walkie-Talkie [ 1 EP ]

DEFENSE
Dodge (8) Base 0
Parry: (12) Base 0
Fortitude: (8) Base 5
Toughness: (3/8) ——
Will: (8) Base 6

WORKSHEET
Attack: 10 Effect: 2 Total: 12 (Unarmed)
Attack: 14 Effect: 6 Total: 20 (Rune Katana)
Attack: 14 Effect: 5 Total: 19 (Rune Wakisashi)
Attack: 12 Effect: 3 Total: 15 (Longbow)
Attack: 14 Effect: 6 Total: 20 (Yari Spear)

Dodge: 8 Tough: 3/8 Total: 11/16
Parry: 12 Tough: 3/8 Total: 15/20
Fort: 8 Will: 8 Total: 16

ABILITIES [ 70 pp ] +
SKILLS [ 13 pp ] +
ADVANTAGES [ 23 pp ] +
POWERS [ 33 pp ] +
DEFENSES [ 11 pp ] =
150 PP TOTAL

COMPLICATIONS
Prejudice (Obvious Non-Human): Ondori-Shisho is very obviously a non-human and faces extreme prejudice in Coalition States territory.
Responsibility (Code of Bushido): Ondori-Shisho is an honorable samurai and is sworn to live (and die) by the code of bushido.

Date of Birth: Unknown (Age Unknown)
Base of Operations: Nomadic
Height: 3'6" (1.07 m)
Weight: 90 lbs. (41 kg)
Eyes: Yellow
Hair: Brown Feathers
Race: Mutant Chicken
Religion: Buddhist
Relationships: None
Legal Status: Citizen of the Otomo Shogunate with no criminal record.

Notes:
Just too illustrate how weird and whacky RIFTS can be, here's the M&M3e conversion of one of the only two RIFTS Player Characters that I have ever made that lasted longer than a single one-shot adventure. For most of my life, whenever I've played RIFTS, it was a purely munchkin affair, we'd all pour over the books for several hours fueled by too much caffine, sleep deprevation, and egging each other on to make the stupidest, most over the top monstrosities we could. Then we'd nuke dinosaur-demons for a few hours and call it good.

Then we met Josh.

Josh loved RIFTS. I mean, really and truly, loved RIFTS. In a totally sincecere and non-ironic way. The guy had the RIFTS logo tattoo'd on his leg. Josh is the only person I have ever met who not only knew all the rules to RIFTS backwards and forwards, but he could actually navigate the rulebooks and find you where things were located... He also knew how to run a long term RIFTS campaign. We played Josh's RIFTS game for over two years of weekly games, which was an incredibly long campaign for my group in any system. Let alone RIFTS.

Ondori-Shisho was created by me with my usual "It's RIFTS, make the character a joke, who cares!?" attitude. Using the Mutant Animal random charts from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles & Other Strangeness and an O.C.C. from RIFTS Japan. So I made a three and a half foot tall chicken, running around with a pair of magic swords, who for no logical reason whatsoever found himself in rural Arkansas... and it turned out to be epic.
Original RIFTS Stats wrote:
Name: Ondori-Shisho
Race: Mutant Animal
O.C.C.: Traditional Samurai Warrior

IQ 18 +5%
ME 12
MA 13
PS 19
PP 27 +5
PE 17
PB 12
Spd 16

SDC +42
P.P.E. PEx2+1d6

Animal Type: Rural, Chicken
Cause of Mutation: Deliberate Experimentation
Organization: Military Organization
Samurai Family: Mere Peasant Farmer

BIO-E POINTS
Base Animal: CHICKEN
Size Level: 3
Length: 8-12"
Weight: 4-10 lbs.
Build: Short
TOTAL BIO-E: 65
Physical Size 3 to 7 (20 BE)
Full Human Hands (10 BE)
Full Upright Biped (0 BE)
Partial Human Looks (5 BE)
Ultra-Violet Vision (20 BE)
Psionics: Sixth-Sense (10 BE)

SKILLS
Climbing 65/55%
Horsemanship [Samurai] 69%
Lore: Demon & Monster 45%
Wilderness Survival 45%
Tracking [People] 35%
Go 45%
Calligraphy 50%
Literacy: Japanese 60%
Languages: Japanese 98%
Languages: English 65%
Languages: Chinese 65%
Mathematics: Basic 65%
Identify Plants/Fruit 40%
Wilderness Survival 45%
Acrobatics ***
- Sense of Balance 75%
- Walk Tightrope 75%
- Climb Rope 95%
- Back Flip 75%
- Basic Prowl 45%
W.P. Daisho --
W.P. Samurai Archery --
W.P. Sword --
W.P. Staff --
W.P. Targeting --
W.P. Iron Fan --
HtH: Zanji Shinjinken-Ryo

COMBAT
Attacks per Melee: 2 (+1 with daisho)
Initiative: +2 (+1 with daisho)
Strike: +0 (+1 with swords, staves, or thrown)
Parry: +1 (+2 with swords or staves)
Dodge: +3
Roll With: +4
Pull Punch: +2 (+3 with daisho)
Damage: +2

Standard Equipment: A suit of magic mega-damage samurai armor and helmet: 100 M.D.C. but is not an environmental suit — created by priests, sorcerers, dragons, passed from generation to generation, captured from oni, or presented as gifts or rewards by the gods. Other gear is minimal, "Samurai" silks or cotton clothing, megadamage body armor and several changes of clothes (kimonos), sandals, a utility belt, backpack, knapsack, 2 canteens, 2D4 days of rations and a quality riding horse. Weapons include a daisho (rune katana and wakizashi), samurai longbow with 20 regular arrows, 6 silver tipped, and 6 magic arrows (more can be acquired later), two additional weapons of choice (usually represent W.P.). Magic weapons are a favorite, but other than the daisho and some arrows, the character starts with none.
Money: 3d4x1000 Credits
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Hee- magnificent. I always did like how Rifts threw EVERYTHING in, to the point where even the NON-cybernetic ultra-samurai could be a capable character.

How did he do in combat? I haven't read up too much on the "Mystic Samurai", instead getting overly obsessed with Dragon 'Borgs, Ninja Juicers and Ninja 'Borgs. Could they take on the Cyber-Samurai and win?
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Traditional Samurai were quite capable in hand-to-hand combat, as their katana and wakisashi were Minor Rune Weapons: dealing Mega-Damage to M.D.C. targets instead of S.D.C. damage, they also had their own fancy-pants combat skills and a set of 100 M.D.C. magic body armor.

Obviously, compared to some of the really crazy things in the game, they were fairly down to earth... About on par with a standard Juicer or Crazy, I’d say.

Their major weakness was that (by default) they had no way to deal Mega-Damage at range, since they only had a mundane bow and arrow or maybe some mundane throwing knives. Their armor also wasn’t environmentally sealed, which could lead to problems if the enemy was smart enough to take advantage of it.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

yeah I concur with BG a mystic Samurai could be BRUTAL in a straight up fight but if the fight devolved into a firefight or in an toxic environment they had problems.

One of my longer running characters in a RIFTs campaign was a Tiger Mutant mystic Samurai. guy collected more head then a rerun of Highlander the series :)
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

My weirdo-meter is getting pretty high, but I really the concept (i.e. I'm a big fan of Stan Sakai's Usagi Yojimbo).
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

For about 4 years of middle school,my main(and only,as i refused to make another) PC for RIFTS was a Mercenary name Hurcerle "Big Hoss" Tarwen.His sister(a Ley-Line Caster named Penelope "Sweet P" Tarwen) and him travelled around in a large group of APC slaved to another PCwe called The Wagon Train.We were dealing with New Texas junk,though......
Ken

Post by Ken »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 5:12 am So I made a three and a half foot tall chicken, running around with a pair of magic swords, who for no logical reason whatsoever found himself in rural Arkansas... and it turned out to be epic.
I don't know. Considering how much chicken production happens in Arkansas, there may have been a logical reason.

My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Ken wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 2:02 pm
Batgirl III wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 5:12 am So I made a three and a half foot tall chicken, running around with a pair of magic swords, who for no logical reason whatsoever found himself in rural Arkansas... and it turned out to be epic.
I don't know. Considering how much chicken production happens in Arkansas, there may have been a logical reason.

That's a lot of KFC down there(also Fago)....
Davies

Post by Davies »

Ken wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 2:02 pm

Wait ... there's none in Nevada?

CSI lied to me again. Go figure.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

THE MINION OF SPLUGORTH
Rifts Character
Power Level 12 ( 245 PP )

ABILITIES
Strength 4
Stamina 4
Agility 2
Dexterity 3
Fighting 7
Intellect 0
Awareness 5
Presence -2

SKILLS
Athletics 3 (+7), Close Combat [Unarmed] 7 (+14), Deception 10 (+8), Expertise [Techno-Wizardry] 4 (+4), Intimidation 10 (+10), Ranged Combat [Techno-Wizardry Weapons] 6 (+12), Stealth 2 (+5)

ADVANTAGES
Assessment, Benefit [Ambidexterity], Chokehold, Diehard, Equipment (10), Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Minions [Four Blind Warrior Women] (32), Ranged Attack (4), Startle

POWERS
Armor of Ithan Deflect 12 (E: Subtle [1]) [ 13 PP ]
Armored Hide Protection 8 (E: Impervious [7]) [ 15 PP ]
Eye-Spheres Senses 12 (Visual: Awareness [Magic], Counters Illusion, Extended [3], Low-Light, Radius [All Visual], Ranged Detect [Magic], Ultravision) [ 12 PP ]
Large Size Growth 4 (+4 Strength, +4 Stamina; +4 Mass; +2 Intimidate; -2 Defenses; E: Innate) [ 9 PP ]
Mind Block Enhanced Defense 5 (+5 Will; E: Impervious [5]; F: Limited to Telepathic Descriptor) [ 5 PP ]
Tentacles Extra Limbs 8 (E: Reach [3]) [ 11 PP ]
Semi-Aquatic Immunity 2 (Suffocation Effects; F: Sustained); Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation [Aquatic]); Swiming 2[/b] (2 MPH) [ 5 PP ]
Smell Blood Senses 9 (Olfactory: Detect Blood: Accurate, Analytical, Extended [3], Ranged, Tracking) [ 9 PP ]
Telepathy Communication 2 (Mental, Short Range; E: Area, Rapid [1], Selective, Subtle [2]) [ 15 PP ]
AE: Mind Reading 10 (E: Cumulative, Subtle [2], Split [2]; F: Feedback) [ 1 PP ]

Splugorth Eye-Staff (10 Base; E: Indestructible; F: Easily Removable) [ 7 PP Total ]
Allows Spellcastung Enhanced Advantage 1 (Ritualist) [ 1 PP ]
Acts as an Eye-Sphere Senses 10 (Visual: Awareness [Magic], Counters Illusion, Low-Light, Ranged Detect [Magic], Ultravision) [ 9 PP ]

Forearm Blaster (25 Base; F: Removable) [ 20 PP Total ]
Plasma Bolt Damage 12 (E: Ranged, Split [1]) [ 25 PP ]

Head Laser (20 Base; F: Removable) [ 16 PP Total ]
Damage 9 (E: Accurate [1], Improved Critical [1], Ranged) [ 20 PP ]
Splugorth Slave Barge
Equipment Rank 10 ( 50 EP )

VEHICLE TRAITS
Size: Huge [ 2 EP ]
Strength: 8 [ 0 EP ]
Speed: 0 [ 0 EP ]
Defense: 10 [ 12 EP ]
Toughness: 14 [ 5 EP ]
Features: Autopilot, Communications [ 2 EP ]
Powers:
Anti-Grav Flight 5 (60 MPH; E: Aquatic [1], Subtle [1]; F: Quirk [500' maximum altitude]) [ 11 EP ]
Barge Blasters Damage 3 (E: Area [120' Cone], Reaction, Selective) [ 18 EP ]
DEFENSE
Dodge (8) Base 8
Parry: (8) Base 3
Fortitude: (8) Base 4
Toughness: (12) ——
Will: (8/13) Base 3

WORKSHEET
Attack: 14 Effect: 4 Total: 18 (Unarmed)
Attack: 12 Effect: 12 Total: 24 (Forearm Blaster)
Attack: 14 Effect: 9 Total: 23 (Head Laser)
Attack: —— Effect: 3 Total: 3 (Barge Blasters)
Dodge: 8 Tough: 12 Total: 20
Parry: 8 Tough: 12 Total: 20
Deflect: 12 Tough: 12 Total: 24
Fort: 8 Will: 8/13 Total: 16/21

ABILITIES [ 30 pp ] +
SKILLS [ 21 pp ] +
ADVANTAGES [ 53 pp ] +
POWERS [ 123 pp ] +
DEFENSES [ 18 pp ] =
245 PP TOTAL

COMPLICATIONS
Disability (Blind): The Minions of Splugorth are naturally blind, if their Eye-Spheres and Eye-Staff are destroyed or disabled, they cannot see.
Duty (The Slaver Enslaved): The Minions of Splugorth are notorious slavers, but they are in turn enslaved by their own harsh masters.

Background:
Most people think that the monstrous, multi-tentacled creatures seen commanding the Splugorth Slave Barges are, in fact, Splugorthians. They are not. If the slobbering mammoths have a true name of their own, it is not known to humans. Even the few who have visited the haunted spires of Atlantis know them only as "the Minion" or as "The Minion of Splugorth." This has lead to some rather unflattering and silly nicknames such as Sloogs, Sploogies, Minnies, Sploogie Minnies and Sploog Slaver. But since most think of the Minion as being the Splugorth, they are most commonly called by the misnomer, Splugorth or Splugorth Slaver.

Many humanoids believe the Minion of Splugorth to be demons from the rifts or demonic slaves of the monstrous true Splugorth. Without doubt, the visage of the Minion is quite demonic. The creatures stand 10 to 12 feet (3 to 3.6 m) tall, possess a pair of large, powerful arms and eight tentacles (suggesting that they may be aquatic in origin). The large, elongated head shares nothing in common with humans. Its mouth is huge and filled with three to six inch canine teeth, the jaws are more powerful than a wolf's, the nose is large and flat, and the head is mounted on a thick, short neck. If the beast ever had eyes, they have been replaced by the artificial sensors that band the head. The normal body of the Minion is serpentine, like a thick snake or eel, adding an additional eight to twelve feet to its overall size/length. The additional length of body is not apparent on the slave barge Minion who are built into the barge itself (bionic like).

Notes:
Okay, so maybe these guys are the most iconic. I mean, it is one of these guys on the cover of the main book, right? Although (in)famously, not only are no stats given for RIFTS cover-model creature in the core rulebook, they aren't even named in that book. You need to pick-up RIFTS: Sourcebook One to get the game stats and basic background info on them and pickup RIFTS: World Book Two: Atlantis to learn their real name and background.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 11:20 pm Image

<snip>

Notes:
Okay, so maybe these guys are the most iconic. I mean, it is one of these guys on the cover of the main book, right?
This would be my vote. This image was like nothing I'd ever seen before, or will again. RIP, Mr. Parkinson.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Parkinson was a FANTASTIC artist for Palladium(he did 99.9% of the art for all there books),but i liked the stuff he did for Palladium Fantasy better,especially his Wolfen Shaman...
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Yeah, that pic was a real stand-out. Funny how they hid any explanation for it until the second book... but that's pretty good salesmanship. "Oh, you want to know what that was? Gotta buy Book Two!

Though I could 100% believe that was an accident or an "oh, you want actual stats for that? Um, OK."
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:14 am Yeah, that pic was a real stand-out. Funny how they hid any explanation for it until the second book... but that's pretty good salesmanship. "Oh, you want to know what that was? Gotta buy Book Two!

Though I could 100% believe that was an accident or an "oh, you want actual stats for that? Um, OK."
You're the guy who coined the phrase "Sketch-Pad Characters" to describe most of the Also-Ran nobodies of Nineties comic books... I'm willing to bet that just about everything in RIFTS came about by a similar process. Siembieda, Long, or Parkinson doodled something and then Siembieda or Carella put together some stats for it.

You can't tell me that SAMAS and Skelebots didn't start out their lives as doodles on somebody's pre-calc notes.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Heh- I was gonna make that exact accusation at most of Coalition War Campaign and Lemuria- countless, countless builds of totally redundant things (SAMASes in one; Giant Mutant Pinnipeds in another). Everyone in there cries "Well, our artist drew it, so..."