[SPOILERS] Avengers Infinity War: Part 1

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
M4C8

Re: [SPOILERS] Avengers Infinity War: Part 1

Post by M4C8 »

Ares wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 3:04 pm Yeah, Thanos' plan being a plot hole is only one for the idiots saying "Thanos was right" or "Thanos did nothing wrong". Unless Thanos is willing to randomly murder half of the universes population every 100 years or so, nothings going to change. Plus, his assumption comes from the idea that the universe is, in fact, finite, and that our resources are in fact limited. Hell, Thanos could have just shrunk all sentient life and their creations down to 1/10th their size, which increases available space and resources.

Thanos is not in the right, he simply has a reasonable starting point for his line of logic and has a reasonable problem that he wants to solve. The methods he uses to fix said problem is what's wrong. But again, he's the villain, and on some level, he enjoys what he does.

What's more annoying to me is how outrage culture can't even let us enjoy a superhero movie.

Kate Leth attacks Infinite War for lack of LGBT representation

Writer claims Infinity War is racist due to number of minority characters killed in films ending

When I found out about those articles, I literally yelled "Man, fuck off!" at my computer screen. I am just so tired of these assholes and what they continue to try to do to comics and the superhero genre.
Wow, just wow, those articles are some of the dumbest shit I've seen in a very long time, to even contemplate such ridiculousness instead of just enjoying a movie, let alone a movie as great as Infinity War shows a monumental lack of emotional maturity.
I truly believe that this outrageous and untrue 'Everything anyone says or does is racist and sexist' attitude is exactly what a significant number of people in the US were protesting against when they cast their votes for Trump.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Ares wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 3:04 pm Yeah, Thanos' plan being a plot hole is only one for the idiots saying "Thanos was right" or "Thanos did nothing wrong". Unless Thanos is willing to randomly murder half of the universes population every 100 years or so, nothings going to change. Plus, his assumption comes from the idea that the universe is, in fact, finite, and that our resources are in fact limited. Hell, Thanos could have just shrunk all sentient life and their creations down to 1/10th their size, which increases available space and resources.

Thanos is not in the right, he simply has a reasonable starting point for his line of logic and has a reasonable problem that he wants to solve. The methods he uses to fix said problem is what's wrong. But again, he's the villain, and on some level, he enjoys what he does.

What's more annoying to me is how outrage culture can't even let us enjoy a superhero movie.

Kate Leth attacks Infinite War for lack of LGBT representation

Writer claims Infinity War is racist due to number of minority characters killed in films ending

When I found out about those articles, I literally yelled "Man, fuck off!" at my computer screen. I am just so tired of these assholes and what they continue to try to do to comics and the superhero genre.
Re: the Thanos thing: exactly. Dude is a villain with a bad excuse.

Re: the articles: How is this not expected yet? Because whenever there is some cultural event, I am always waiting for the reaction of the SJWs. Do they love it? It's almost definitely toxic. Are they outraged? It might be pretty good. It's gotten to the point where I'm almost unwilling to commit to investing time in anything until my favorite Weathervane of Wrong has been read.

... huh. SJWs hate the Eurovision music dumpster fire because the talentless, warbling, narcissistic landwhale who won committed cultural appropriation in the process...

I never said it was particularly reliable, alright?
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Ugh, the Perpetual Outrage Crowd is never, never, never satisfied. Their entire reason for being is to take offense, generate headlines, and bask in reflected glory... Creating a work of art is hard, heaping scorn on one is easy and gets you almost as much attention.

‘Infinity War’ has a staggering amount of diversity in the racial, ethnic, gender, and nationalities of its cast. So, of course, the Perpetual Outrage Crowd needs to glom onto the lack of “visiblity” for LGBTs.

“So and so is gay in the comics! Why aren’t they gay in the movie!” Because, you jackass, the comic had a story to tell where the romantic relationship for that character was important to the action. The film didn’t tell that story. The MCU’s Shuri could be as queer as the proverbial three dollar bill, but since it doesn’t matter to the story it doesn’t get mentioned. Maybe the MCU’s Drax is a trans man, I dunno, there hasn’t been any reason to mention it in the story.

I’m a bisexual woman with a transgendered husband. Contrary to the apparent beliefs of the Perpetual Outrage Crowd this isn’t something that I mention to everyone I meet. A documentary film crew could follow me around, Spın̈al Tap-style, for weeks on end and it probably wouldn’t even notice anything outwardly obvious about my sexuality unless they noticed the Pink Pistols stickers on my gun safe. Sexual orientation is a personality trait, not a personality.

Then there’s the whole other unspoken assumption that a person cannot empathize or sympathize with a character who isn’t like them. Steve Rogers is a cishet white man, so there’s no way a trans lesbian black woman could ever find him inspirational... Ugh.

Seriously. F——k these people.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Batgirl III wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:15 pm I’m a bisexual woman with a transgendered husband. Contrary to the apparent beliefs of the Perpetual Outrage Crowd this isn’t something that I mention to everyone I meet.
Unpossible! If MTV's educational programming has taught me anything, it's that sex, sexuality, gender, and race are the most important traits that anyone ever has ever, and should be front and center in every conversation!

Seriously, though, if those traits were allowed to fade into the relatively unimportant details that they are, then 95% of the problems they complain about would instantly be solved. Which they find entirely unacceptable, as so many of them gain wealth, fame, and cultural and political leverage from these problems.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Someone once asked Neil Gaiman how he was able to write such convincing and fully-realized female characters, especially in scenes where it was just women, his response was something along the lines of “it’s my belief that women, when they are alone together, act like people.”

LGBT characters should just be characters.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

I'm starting to think a lot of these reviewers don't really know the definition of plot hole, as I've read reviews where they call Thano's plan, Gamora confronting Thanos (when she knew about the Soul Stone), and Thor not killing Thanos, all as "major plot holes... People making bad decision or acting slightly illogical isn't really a plot hole, so much as they're character flaws/traits, especially when it fits with how the characters have been portrayed in the past. Thanos is the Mad Titan and a warrior, culling the population fits his mind set more than giving everyone more stuff. Gamora hates Thanos and feels guilty over her part in things and wants to fix it by taking down Thanos personally. Thor is a proud fighter, he wanted to make sure Thanos knew he was beaten by Thor! Everyone being super logical and making only the best decisions would make for a boring story.
Formerly luketheduke86
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

L-Space wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:22 pm I'm starting to think a lot of these reviewers don't really know the definition of plot hole, as I've read reviews where they call Thano's plan, Gamora confronting Thanos (when she knew about the Soul Stone), and Thor not killing Thanos, all as "major plot holes... People making bad decision or acting slightly illogical isn't really a plot hole, so much as they're character flaws/traits, especially when it fits with how the characters have been portrayed in the past. Thanos is the Mad Titan and a warrior, culling the population fits his mind set more than giving everyone more stuff. Gamora hates Thanos and feels guilty over her part in things and wants to fix it by taking down Thanos personally. Thor is a proud fighter, he wanted to make sure Thanos knew he was beaten by Thor! Everyone being super logical and making only the best decisions would make for a boring story.
The old comics battle-boards I used to frequent had a major distinction between "Plot-Induced Stupidity" and "Character-Induced Stupidity." Character-Induced Stupidity was when a character acted sub-optimally because of beliefs, values, or other in-character limitations. The character was being written as a person, and so chose something other than the most rational or optimal course of action. Plot-Induced Stupidity is when a character oddly failed to be effective not because of the limitations and values of the character, but because the story needs them to fail or choose badly for the plot or the joke to work.

These reviewers you speak of seem to conflate the two.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

“Thano's plan, Gamora confronting Thanos (when she knew about the Soul Stone), and Thor not killing Thanos” were not plot holes, they are plot points. The story beats you must reach during the telling of the tale or you do not get a $¥£€%# plot!

This is like saying Romeo and Juliet falling in love so fast, getting married in secret, and Juliet faking her death (without Romeo knowing) are “plot holes.” No, you #%€£¥$ morons, that IS the plot.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Batgirl III wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:08 pm “Thano's plan, Gamora confronting Thanos (when she knew about the Soul Stone), and Thor not killing Thanos” were not plot holes, they are plot points. The story beats you must reach during the telling of the tale or you do not get a $¥£€%# plot!

This is like saying Romeo and Juliet falling in love so fast, getting married in secret, and Juliet faking her death (without Romeo knowing) are “plot holes.” No, you #%€£¥$ morons, that IS the plot.
It's not plausible that young, impulsive, spoiled rich kids would act so drastically and impulsively, though. Surely, they would have learned somewhere that there is such a thing as a bad idea that will fail and Mommy and Daddy can't shield you from the consequences.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Yes, because 14 year old girls and 17 year old boys are so well known for making every decision — especially those that involve sex — with calm reason and rational logic. Doubly so when they are the lead characters in a play entitled The Tragical History of....
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

Nope, still hate what they did to the Hulk.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Davies

Post by Davies »

What might have been funny is if Thanos had gone, "Hey, you're the guy Stark keeps having nightmares about! Wow, not nearly as impressive in person." Before he uses his free hand to knock Cap senseless.

I have to admit I felt a certain frisson of glee when he did that.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."