Palladium/Rifts into M&M

General discussions about role-playing games. Share stories, ask for advice, talk about the industry, etc.
Batgirl III

Re: Palladium/Rifts into M&M

Post by Batgirl III »

The really odd thing about Palladium's Attribute generation system was that, for the most part, the stats are meaningless unless you get a 17 or better. Physical Strength is multiplied by a certain value to determine your lifting and carrying capacity and Speed determiens your, well, speed, other than that there's literally no mechanical distinction between any other Attribute from 1 to 16. Attributes only gain mechanical adjustments at 17+. Also, as a weird quirk, you can't actually have an Attribute score of 16. By default, you roll a 3d6, if that result is a 16, 17, or 18, you roll a further 1d6 and add that. So, if you roll a 15 you get a 15; But, if you roll a 16 you will always get a 17 or better.

I did appreciate a few mechanical ideas from Palladium. I liked that their alignment system presented each alignment with a series of bullet-point "first principles;" I liked that certain skills (e.g., gymnastics) allowed you to improve your Attributes; I liked that the classes had fairly open but still thematically tailored Skill Lists to chose from... But, well, I liked all that in 1991. Palladium Games' stubborn refuse to every make any serious revisions to their game over not just years but DECADES has not done it any favors. The RPG industry has changed, we've discovered new and better ways to do things... Palladium Games are still using the same system waaaay past it's "sell by" date. The original Rifts core rulebook came out in 1990, the "Ultimate Edition" core rulebook came out in 2005. They are completely compatible with one another.

To put it in perspective, AD&D 2nd Edition came out in 1989, by 2005 we were halfway through the 3.5 edition (3.5 came out in '03, 4e came out in `08); the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) came out in 1990, the Wii came out in 2006; George H. W. Bush was in his second year of office in 1990 and George W. Bush was in his fifth year of office in 2005... In 1990, I was a nine year old kid, in 2005, I had a toddler.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 11:57 am Neato! And hey- you used the same Blast Damage I did in my concept (3D6x10 is a Boom Gun's damage, and I set that up at Blast 15).

One of the mind-blowing things about the character creation process in this game is the sheer randomness of it all. I mean, that's normal for "Roll Up Your Character" games, but some of the differences are STAGGERING. Check out the Dragons- all four have 1D4 x 100 MDC (two add 50 points to that)... imagine being the guy who rolled a 1? He literally has ONE QUARTER the Health of the top level. ALL THAT with one freaking roll of the die!!
Did you ever play Chaosium's Stormbringer? That's really the cherry on top of the random character creation. To sum it up:
  1. Roll to determine your character's race.
  2. Roll to determine your character's class (if it's incompatible with the race roll again).
  3. Roll to determine your stats and modify them based on your race.
  4. Calculate your basic skills based on your stats, then roll an extra bonus to some of them based on your class (keep in mind that some classes might or might not require to roll to see if you get these bonuses).
  5. If you're some kind of sorcerer roll to the determine if you know any summon and roll the stats for the summoned creature.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

I never had much of a taste for Magic in any RPG- can anyone tell me what playing a Mage OCC in this game was like? They get the same Armor as other dudes to a point, so they're not as squishy as in D&D. Are the Spells that good? Are some classes WAY better than others? The Mystic one seems to be deliberately low-level.
Wizards in Palladium usualy follow the same formula of glass cannon swiss army knife as most mages do. theyre skill monekys highly educated with a tremdnous potential power capability., their power is limited pretty much only by the spells description and how much PPE (Potential Psychic Energy) they have PPE is basically mana if you will that fuels the spells.

Some of the high level spells requires thousands of PPE to cast while lesser spells usually only need a few ppe.

Mages also had decent protection at lower levels thanks to armor of ithan and some other spells.

Only real difference between them and D&D mages is a Palladium mage would have some more knowledge and skill utility early and not be as limited in a fist fight
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
slade the sniper

Post by slade the sniper »

*drool* my two favorite things Palladium and M&M....(well, maybe with some Call of Cthulhu on top)...

Anyway, I have non-fun stuff to do :( but whence I return and re-read all of this...I shall...probably just lurk some more...or post something.

-STS
Ares wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 2:44 pm Yeah, the Mega-Damage System in Rifts made sense to me as a teenager (well of course a tank has MDC compared to the SDC of a pistol), but I think that was the point: this game was designed to appeal to teenagers at their most power-geeky. To this day I love the Rifts SETTING, it's gonzo fun, but the system is an unholy mess.

The system is, of course, notorious for its constant escalation, with things getting thousands of MDC and guns that would vaporize humans and battle tanks. Even the Glitter Boy's Boom Gun (which was suppose to be one of the most powerful weapons on the planet) got less and less impressive as time went on. Granted, the insane dice values didn't help either, where you could wind up doing between 10 and 180 damage depending on the dice roll.

Rifts. A prime example of a fun setting almost ruined by its creators and a horrible system. From what I've seen, the Savage Worlds version is a much more playable and enjoyable take on the franchise, at least system wise. It's prime real-estate for a M&M conversion.
I agree mostly, BUT, I think that Shadowrun is actually a worse system than Palladium. I think that because Robotech was my first RPG, I just sort of assumed that all RPGs were like that. Going from Palladium to AD&D and Shadowrun didn't really fix my assumption that RPGs all had horrible rules. Come to think of it, Storyteller was pretty bad as well...the only game rules I "like" is Basic Roleplaying from Chaosium. Everything else is on a sliding scale of ok-ish (d20) to meh, kinda sucks (Palladium) to OMFG, I'll just steal the fluff (Shadowrun).
catsi563 wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 10:41 pm As a regard to the stats Palladium I found can be tricky but not impossible to convert

the stats are for the most part easy

Iq = Int
Mental Endurance = Wisdom/awareness
Mental Affinity = Charisma/ presence
Physical Strength = Duh Strength
Physical Prowess = Agility and or Dex
Physical stamina = Con/ Stamina
Physical Beauty = closest is boosted charisma with attractive if the stat is high enough
Speed just basic running speed

Stats run from 1-100 potentially or higher in some cases

best starts run from 3-to a potential 30 with atheltic skills and racial or power bonuses or class bonuses adding to them

top human is generally 35-40 max with anything beyond that being superhuman and depending on the world getting into the mega damage MDC areas

1-8 is usualy low or below average for a stat in M&M were talking -1 to -5 and below of course

9-15 is considered average with no bonuses +0-+1 could be justified

16-35+ is the exceptional ability range +2-7 for max humans would be solid here

35+ to 150+ is your superhuman range and anywhere here from +8-20 and up

then apply appropriate advantages for Physical beauty ie attractive etc

in regards to the damage listings posted i think you might be overdoing just a little erring on the high side if you will.

a holdout pistol is +2, +3 for a light pistol and +4 for a heavy maybe +5-6 for a hand cannon like a 44 or 454 casull

so if we looka t the palladium guide of contemporary weapons

it lists a walther ppk james bond sfavorite as 2d6 easilly a holdout pistol

berettas are listed as 1d8-2d6 also in line with a holdout but we could up that to a light pistol

Colt 45 standard is 4d6 pretty solid so a heavy pistol no sweat

44 magnum ruger listed as 5d6 also a heavy pistol

from there just apply basic common sense to the conversions whats the pl? use the basic Ats as your guide for further deeper conversions
This is pretty much what I do...as you shall see below...
Batgirl III wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 12:23 pm The really odd thing about Palladium's Attribute generation system was that, for the most part, the stats are meaningless unless you get a 17 or better. Physical Strength is multiplied by a certain value to determine your lifting and carrying capacity and Speed determiens your, well, speed, other than that there's literally no mechanical distinction between any other Attribute from 1 to 16. Attributes only gain mechanical adjustments at 17+. Also, as a weird quirk, you can't actually have an Attribute score of 16. By default, you roll a 3d6, if that result is a 16, 17, or 18, you roll a further 1d6 and add that. So, if you roll a 15 you get a 15; But, if you roll a 16 you will always get a 17 or better.

I did appreciate a few mechanical ideas from Palladium. I liked that their alignment system presented each alignment with a series of bullet-point "first principles;" I liked that certain skills (e.g., gymnastics) allowed you to improve your Attributes; I liked that the classes had fairly open but still thematically tailored Skill Lists to chose from... But, well, I liked all that in 1991. Palladium Games' stubborn refuse to every make any serious revisions to their game over not just years but DECADES has not done it any favors. The RPG industry has changed, we've discovered new and better ways to do things... Palladium Games are still using the same system waaaay past it's "sell by" date. The original Rifts core rulebook came out in 1990, the "Ultimate Edition" core rulebook came out in 2005. They are completely compatible with one another.

To put it in perspective, AD&D 2nd Edition came out in 1989, by 2005 we were halfway through the 3.5 edition (3.5 came out in '03, 4e came out in `08); the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) came out in 1990, the Wii came out in 2006; George H. W. Bush was in his second year of office in 1990 and George W. Bush was in his fifth year of office in 2005... In 1990, I was a nine year old kid, in 2005, I had a toddler.
I actually LIKE the fact that something I bought in 1989 I can still play and buy stuff for in 2018. You know what I don't like...non-reverse compatible consoles. I also hate all of the increasingly lackluster D&D products. AD&D 2E had a LOT of supplemental material. 3E had just as much, thanks to OGL, but the fluff was not as "inspired." 4E had some nice mechanics....but abysmal fluff, and 5E is more a toolbox and I really don't know how a brand new gamer is going to buy it and start kicking out campaigns beyond some homebrew stuff made from the DMG...or the not so good (but really expensive) campaigns they made.
OK, rant against new D&D sucking over. Off to the Palladium/M&M goodness.

First off, good Glitterboy build :)

Second...this is how I "fix" all the 3d6 stat based attributes...I just use M&M 2nd edition...that makes it compatible with all the other D20 stuff, and I use that 3-18 scale for Palladium, BRP, D20, AD&D, etc. I know it's "wrong," but it is very elegant.

Now, for the damage scaling. For some reason, I "think" D&D uses a logarithmic damage scale so that 10 damage in one hit is NOT the equivalent of 10 stabs that do 1 damage each. I think they are scared of big numbers...due to the bizarreness of a 9mm pistol doing 2d6 while a .50 cal HMG does 2d12...and a 25mm cannon does 4d12...while the M1A2 tank cannon (120mm smoothbore) kicks out 10d12. So 9mm = 12, .50 cal = 24, 25mm cannon = 48 and 120mm = 120 damage... I just don't like those tiny little numbers! Especially when I want to model SUPERHEROES and MEGA-DAMAGE!

So this is how I do it:
M&M damage to "normal" damage (Palladium)
0 = 1 SDC
1 = 2- 3 SDC
2 = 4- 7 SDC
3 = 8- 15 SDC
4 = 16- 31 SDC
5 = 32- 63 SDC
6 = 64- 127 or 1 Mega damage
7 = 128- 255 or 2 Mega damage
8 = 256- 511 or 3 - 4 Mega damage
9 = 512- 999 or 5 - 9 MD
10 = 1000- 1999 or 10 - 19 MD
11 = 2000- 3999 or 20 - 39 MD
12 = 4000- 7999 or 40 - 79 MD
13 = 8000- 15,999 or 80 - 159 MD
14 = 16,000- 31,999 or 160 - 319 MD (this is where I would place the GB boom gun)
15 = 32,000- 63,999 or 320 - 639 MD
16 = 64,000- 127,999 or 640 - 1279 MD
17 = 128,000- 255,999 or 1280 - 2599 MD
18 = 256,000- 511,999 or 2560 - 5119 MD
19 = 512,000- 999,999 or 5120 - 9999 MD
20 = 1,000,000+ or 10,000 MD

I also use these damage numbers for all my games and it mirrors quite well the damage amount in the GM's guide for using dice (well at least up until 5d6). I also think that these numbers are pretty much in line with how the large damage weapons in M&M would align with the equivalent weapons in Palladium...Plus, it also allows me to just slide other things from other settings directly in.
And...finally, using the gadget guide I can scale this up to damage rank 35 for planet-busting, which is where the Death Star sits at :)

-STS
Last edited by slade the sniper on Wed May 16, 2018 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Juicer

Post by Jabroniville »

JUICER O.C.C.
Role:
Steroid Punkers (I hate punkers), Action Junkies, Mercenaries
PL 9 (122)
STRENGTH
3/6 STAMINA 3/6 AGILITY 3/6
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+8)
Athletics 6 (+12)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+12)
Expertise (Mercenary) 8 (+8)
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+4)
Perception 5 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+8)
Technology 5 (+5)
Vehicles 4 (+8)

Advantages:
Equipment 10 (Juicer Gear), Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Juicer Bio-Comp System"
Enhanced Strength, Speed & Agility 3 [18]
Enhanced Advantages 8: Diehard, Evasion, Great Endurance, Improved Initiative, Move-By Action, Quick Draw, Seize Initiative, Uncanny Dodge [8]

"Elite Athletes"
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
Regeneration 2 [2]

"Saving Throws"
Enhanced Fortitude 1 [1]
Enhanced Will 2 (Flaws: Limited to vs. Psionics) [1]

Equipment:
"Juicer Gear"
"Juicer Assassin's Plate" Protection 2 (Extras: Impervious 5) (7)
"Mercenary Gear" Assorted Stuff 5 (5)
"Vibro Blade" Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Penetrating 6) (8)

"JA-11 Juicer Assassin's Energy Rifle" Blast 10 (Feats: Range) (Extras: Multiattack) (31) -- (32)
  • AE: "S.D.C. Bullet" Blast 4 (8)
Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Vibro-Knife +10 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
SDC Bullet +8 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Energy Rifle +8 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +10

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +6 (+8 Armor), Fortitude +4 (+8 Juicer), Will +5 (+7 vs. Psionics)

Complications:
Responsibility (Early Death)- Juicers must engage in the dangerous "Detoxification" process or die- a Juicer's lifespan is between five and seven years after they join the O.C.C., with no exceptions.
Addiction (Action)- Juicers are touchy, nervous and exciteable. They crave action, danger and adventure. Some have tossed themselves off of buildings for kicks.
Responsibility (Cannot Sleep)- Juicers cannot sleep without sedatives or tranquilizers.
Responsibilty (Owes Money)- Becoming a Juicer costs a pretty penny, and most people who take the process are quite poor. This means they usually owe money to someone.
Power Loss (Juicer Abilities)- If a Juicer Detoxes, they will not only lose all their Powers, but drop BELOW their baseline stats on occasion! They will also look ten years older than normal. Most Juicers crave the lifestyle, and many become suicidal or addicted to other drugs instead.

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 31 / Defenses: 6 (122)

Juicers- Iconic Rifts Class:
-Nothing says Rifts to me like the goddamn Juicers. They just say SO MUCH about this world, the mentality of the creators, and the kind of world they wanted to build, that one of the iconic Character Classes is made up of Action Junkies who think that a six-year lifespan is preferable to life as a normal person. It means that Rifts Earth is a violent, dangerous place, and someone would rather do this than be a victim. Or it just draws psychopaths who don't care about the quick death. Or it tells the sad story about people who wish to gain temporary power, then try to "Detox" and survive like a normal person, never QUITE being able to afford it.

-The world of the Juicers is pretty much an illegal one- most "proper" civilizations ban the process, so they typically have to go to "Chop-Shops" and illegal Cyber-Docs for the process. Or they pay their way in through a feudal state's armed forces.

Stat-Wise:
-The Juicers pack a huge boost to S.D.C. & Hit Points in Rifts, which is hilarious given how useless those things are unless everyone's fighting with baseline melee weapons (which nobody ever is). Normal "Men-At-Arms" combat classes will have 20-50 S.D.C., but Juicers add 1D4x100, which makes them about four times tougher and stronger than any normal human. They're more or less the equivalent of one of Disney's Gargoyles (leaning towards Goliath or Hudson over Brooklyn & Lexington).

-Juicers use pretty basic gear (even a little weaker than the MDC Armor of most other classes- I figure that for Toughness +8, though it looks weird here, since it's barely providing a boost to the Juicer's toughness), but are REALLY hard to hit. I was going for a PL 8 "Basic" Juicer, but the high force of damage from their Energy Rifles made me give up and just make him a PL 9 P.C. type. Juicers typically don't have a lot of smarts or interpersonal skills- they're action-junkie fighters, and this build reflects that.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 16, 2018 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
slade the sniper

Post by slade the sniper »

Squeeee!

-STS
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 11:57 am Part of what stalls me on doing this: I know damn well I'll be compelled to stat up every Magic Spell. AND every Psychic Ability!
Given the sheer volume of Psionic and Magic OCCs and the spells each new World Book would introduce, that might be a fool's errand. Still, I'd be impressed if you could manage it.
I never had much of a taste for Magic in any RPG- can anyone tell me what playing a Mage OCC in this game was like? They get the same Armor as other dudes to a point, so they're not as squishy as in D&D. Are the Spells that good? Are some classes WAY better than others? The Mystic one seems to be deliberately low-level.
It's really hard to say, because they had so many flavors of spellcaster in Rifts. You had Ley Line Walkers as the generic magic user wizard types, you had Shifters as the Rift/Portal openers, monster summoners and the like, you had Mystics who had both magic and psychic powers, you had Temporal Mages who could shift time and space, you had Mystic Knights who combined magic and swordplay, etc. And that's before getting into the weirder stuff like Tattoo Magic, Elemental Fusionists, etc.

Generally speaking, it felt Rifts wanted their guns to be the heavy ranged damage dealers, while magical spells were really more about utility and versatility. Both Psychics and Mages are unlike what you'd expect from an M&M game where their primary means of offense comes from their powers. You'd expect them to be standing in the back launching TK attacks and Fireballs, but the ISP and PPE costs would have them run out of energy way faster than the guns their buddies had that would do equivalent damage. It actually felt like the Psychics and Mages were suppose to be carrying around guns as well, and save their powers for more important stuff.

Also, I felt that mages using "Potential Psychic Energy" while psychics used "Inner Strength Points" was bass ackwards, and should have been the other way around.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Yeah, I read the PPE/ISP thing, and was like "is that right?". Very weird.

Where's the section that says what super-strong creatures do in Mega-Damage with their unarmed attacks? This rulebook is a mess of charts.

PS I might do all the Spells & Powers... but keep it to just the main rulebook.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 6:13 am Where's the section that says what super-strong creatures do in Mega-Damage with their unarmed attacks? This rulebook is a mess of charts.
Are you using the original rule book or the Ultimate Editon? The layout are formatting of the UE is abysmal, but the original is a garbage fire.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 1:11 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 6:13 am Where's the section that says what super-strong creatures do in Mega-Damage with their unarmed attacks? This rulebook is a mess of charts.
Are you using the original rule book or the Ultimate Editon? The layout are formatting of the UE is abysmal, but the original is a garbage fire.
The UE one. Spiffy black hardcover and all that.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Don’t have the book at hand, so I can’t cite page numbers, but just after the chart that tells you the bonuses granted by 17+ Attributes, there’s a couple pages of Wall-Of-Text dealing with 30+ Attributes, then the sections on Enhanced, Robotic, and Supernatural Strength. Which don’t quite line up with the values for Robotic and Supernatural Strength in other Palladium products.

Because it’s just good game design to have five totally different values for something recorded on your sheet as just “Physical Strength 18.”
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Page 8-9 of the original edition which I do happen to have close by. :)

like i said above Paladium runs a 17-30 scale for exceptional attributes with the potential par super abilities racials and physical training skills to go well above that. they have a human limit of 30-35 or possibly higher it was never out right established but hinted at. Anything above those numbers was the realm of the superhuman.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Catsi stories
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

catsi563 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 6:10 pm Page 8-9 of the original edition which I do happen to have close by. :)

like i said above Paladium runs a 17-30 scale for exceptional attributes with the potential par super abilities racials and physical training skills to go well above that. they have a human limit of 30-35 or possibly higher it was never out right established but hinted at. Anything above those numbers was the realm of the superhuman.
Except, sometimes, you can have superhumans that have Physical Strength scores that are in the 17-30 range (or theoretically even the 1-15 range).

Mundane P.S. 10, Supernatural P.S. 10, Robotic P.S. 10, etc., are all different values.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Batgirl III wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 6:45 pm
catsi563 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 6:10 pm Page 8-9 of the original edition which I do happen to have close by. :)

Except, sometimes, you can have superhumans that have Physical Strength scores that are in the 17-30 range (or theoretically even the 1-15 range).

Mundane P.S. 10, Supernatural P.S. 10, Robotic P.S. 10, etc., are all different values.
yeah true enough it just tends to come in where they start adding in Extraordinary or superhuman or Supernatural strengths from HU to the mix. I actually house ruled Superhuman and Supernatural attributes beyond the extraordinary ones for the other 7

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Coalition Soldiers

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

COALITION GRUNT O.C.C.
Role:
Mooks, Foot Soldiers
PL 7 (56)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 3 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+5)
Expertise (Soldier) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 2 (+3)
Perception 4 (+4)
Technology 4 (+4)
Treatment 2 (+2)
Vehicles 1 (+5)

Advantages:
Benefit (Rank- CS Soldier), Equipment 12 (CS Gear)

Equipment:
"CS Gear"
"Dead Boy Body Armor"
Protection 7 (Impervious 5) (12)
Immunity 6 (Radiation, Vacuum, Hot, Cold, Suffocation 2) (6)
Mini-Computer (2)
Tinted Visor, Loudspeaker, etc. (3)

"C-12 Heavy Assault Rifle" Blast 10 (Extras: Multiattack) (30)
"Assorted Gear" Gas Masks, Radios, etc. (4)

Offense:
Unarmed +3 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Assault Rifle +4 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +3 (DC 13), Toughness +2 (+9 Dead Boy Armor), Fortitude +3, Will +2

Complications:
Responsibility (The Coalition States)- All Coalition military personell are expected to uphold the virtues of the CS, and are subject to "reorientation", or worse, if they stray.
Enemy (Tolkeen)- The Magic-heavy state is anathema to the Coalition States.
Hatred (D-Bees, Psychics, Magic)

Total: Abilities: 28 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 13 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 5 (56)

-The "Grunts" are the baseline troops of the Coalition States. And this right here lets you know what kind of a system this is- the BASELINE TROOPS are PL 7s!! The MDC of a Grunt's armor are at "80" (and a "100" in the later edition, which upgrades them), which means that it'd take at least 3 high rolls from laser weapons to take even one of these guys down, and the CS offers THOUSANDS of them!

COALITION TECHNICAL OFFICER O.C.C.
Role:
Mooks, Foot Soldiers
PL 7 (61)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 3 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+5)
Expertise (Soldier) 5 (+6)
Intimidation 2 (+3)
Perception 4 (+4)
Technology 7 (+8)
Treatment 2 (+2)
Vehicles 1 (+5)

Advantages:
Benefit 2 (Rank- Corporal), Equipment 12 (CS Gear)

Equipment:
"CS Gear"
"Dead Boy Body Armor"
Mini-Computer (2)

Offense:
Unarmed +3 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Assault Rifle +4 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +3 (DC 13), Toughness +2 (+9 Dead Boy Armor), Fortitude +3, Will +2

Complications:
Responsibility (The Coalition States)- All Coalition military personell are expected to uphold the virtues of the CS, and are subject to "reorientation", or worse, if they stray.

Total: Abilities: 30 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 5 (61)

-Technical Officers are slightly smarter than Grunts, and are meant to be specialized agents, choosing between Communications, Engineering, Technician or Weapons. In M&M, most of that is just "Technology", because superheroes are less granular about skills than are soldiers.

COALITION MILTARY SPECIALIST O.C.C.
Role:
Elite Soldiers, Infiltrators
PL 8 (98)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+5)
Expertise (Soldier) 6 (+8)
Expertise (Intelligence Operations) 6 (+8)
Insight 4 (+7)
Intimidation 2 (+5)
Perception 4 (+7)
Technology 4 (+6)
Treatment 2 (+4)
Vehicles 1 (+5)

Advantages:
Benefit 3 (Rank- Officer), Equipment 12 (CS Gear), Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Low-End Cybernetics"
Senses 1 (Infravision) [1]
"Radio Jack" Communication 2 (Radio) [8]

Equipment:
"CS Gear"
"Dead Boy Body Armor"
Mini-Computer (2)

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Assault Rifle +6 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +2 (+9 Dead Boy Armor), Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 17 / Powers: 9 / Defenses: 8 (98)

-A CS Military Specialist is essentially an elite soldier trained in reconnaissance and espionage. They even have some minor cybernetics (occasionally a replaced limb)! The gear is the same, but they're upgraded to PL 8s.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu May 17, 2018 8:29 am, edited 2 times in total.