What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
Jabroniville
Posts: 9060
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:05 pm

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by Jabroniville » Wed May 16, 2018 6:11 am

Jelly (who most of you don't know, obviously) is HILARIOUS. Part of it's just aimless trolling (he generally takes "the unpopular opinion", part of it's genuine insecurity and cowardice. He backs down out of any topic once he gets flamed too hard. He's a conspiracy theorist, which is a thing for cowards in general, because they're afraid of a chaotic world and want to imagine some kind of "we have no chance" order to it, re-writing all history to justify their beliefs.

"I turn lesbians to dick" is an actual quote from him. That basically says it all.
BatgirlIII wrote:Similar personalities are a regular occurrence in the “gun-o-sphere,” parts of the internet devoted to the shooting sports, firearms, and the like. They tend not to stick around for more than a month... But not before they regale is with stories of their days in SEAL Force Delta 6 as a tactical operator who operates tactically during tactical operations.
I find that "Internet Expert Syndrome" is common everywhere. When looking for "What kind of dog can beat a wolf in a fight?" for my Animal Builds, I came across a ton of forums about Dog Fighting (naturally, they all SAID they were against it, yet knew apparently every little thing about the subject) and Tough Dogs in general, and every single guy had the same issue that Comic Book Fans, Wrestling Fans, and Sword Fans have online, where THEY are the One True Expert, THEY know the "One True Type" that is better than everything else, etc. This "One True" dog breed/sword/comic/wrestler is always a foreign thing, something obscure, and something that is INSISTED to be the best.

It's a kind of virtual penis-measuring thing. I assume "Gun Fans" online are the same way.
HalloweenJack wrote:To sum all this up, the latest Avengers comic isn't all that great.


Nineties Celestials.....I swear
But... but... Muscular Fantasy She-Hulk!

User avatar
Woodclaw
Posts: 682
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:05 pm
Location: Como, Italy

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by Woodclaw » Wed May 16, 2018 3:40 pm

Batgirl III wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 11:47 pm
Similar personalities are a regular occurrence in the “gun-o-sphere,” parts of the internet devoted to the shooting sports, firearms, and the like. They tend not to stick around for more than a month... But not before they regale is with stories of their days in SEAL Force Delta 6 as a tactical operator who operates tactically during tactical operations.

Pro Tip: Real U.S. Navy SEALs don’t go around telling you they are SEALs. They don’t need to.

Pro Tip II: The total number of personnel assigned to the U.S. Naval Special Warfare Command — everyone from the seniormost Officers, to the members of the Teams, to the guys who just push around the H.R. paperwork — is less than 9,000 people. Total. They all know each other, or at least, can play Six Degrees of Seperation with each other in under three steps. They will put you as a fake within moments. They will not react kindly.
I've met a couple of these guys in several communities. A number of them hang around the sword enthusiast community and the RPG community, usually trying to impress everyone else with their "experience".
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)

User avatar
Batgirl III
Posts: 2429
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:17 am
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by Batgirl III » Wed May 16, 2018 5:33 pm

Oh, yeah, I run into them in sword related circles too. Often the same screen names. Strangely enough (she sad sarcastically) I never see them at the range, at the salle, or at the gym... But on the Internet, they trip over themselves to tell me I’m shooting wrong, sword fighting wrong, and boxing wrong.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.

User avatar
HalloweenJack
Posts: 926
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:50 pm

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by HalloweenJack » Wed May 16, 2018 10:05 pm

Jabroniville wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 6:11 am
Jelly (who most of you don't know, obviously) is HILARIOUS. Part of it's just aimless trolling (he generally takes "the unpopular opinion", part of it's genuine insecurity and cowardice. He backs down out of any topic once he gets flamed too hard. He's a conspiracy theorist, which is a thing for cowards in general, because they're afraid of a chaotic world and want to imagine some kind of "we have no chance" order to it, re-writing all history to justify their beliefs.

"I turn lesbians to dick" is an actual quote from him. That basically says it all.
BatgirlIII wrote:Similar personalities are a regular occurrence in the “gun-o-sphere,” parts of the internet devoted to the shooting sports, firearms, and the like. They tend not to stick around for more than a month... But not before they regale is with stories of their days in SEAL Force Delta 6 as a tactical operator who operates tactically during tactical operations.
I find that "Internet Expert Syndrome" is common everywhere. When looking for "What kind of dog can beat a wolf in a fight?" for my Animal Builds, I came across a ton of forums about Dog Fighting (naturally, they all SAID they were against it, yet knew apparently every little thing about the subject) and Tough Dogs in general, and every single guy had the same issue that Comic Book Fans, Wrestling Fans, and Sword Fans have online, where THEY are the One True Expert, THEY know the "One True Type" that is better than everything else, etc. This "One True" dog breed/sword/comic/wrestler is always a foreign thing, something obscure, and something that is INSISTED to be the best.

It's a kind of virtual penis-measuring thing. I assume "Gun Fans" online are the same way.
HalloweenJack wrote:To sum all this up, the latest Avengers comic isn't all that great.


Nineties Celestials.....I swear
But... but... Muscular Fantasy She-Hulk!

Muscular Fantasy She-Hulk only appears on the cover!


Nineties Celestials, Jab!

Seriously, when I saw that last page I was like "OOOOOOH nooooo." and immediately thought "what will Jab think of these 'badass post-modern masterpieces?"

bsdigitalq
Posts: 409
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:46 am
Contact:

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by bsdigitalq » Wed May 16, 2018 10:19 pm

To quote something posted elsewhere:
Marvel fans: Hooray! Bendis is gone! Finally characters will act the way they're supposed to!

Jason Aaron: Hold my beer.

User avatar
HalloweenJack
Posts: 926
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:50 pm

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by HalloweenJack » Wed May 16, 2018 10:48 pm

It's funny. Initially I liked Aaron's stuff but around the time Galactus puked in that far off future I was done

User avatar
Batgirl III
Posts: 2429
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:17 am
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by Batgirl III » Wed May 16, 2018 11:36 pm

I get much more enjoyment from the CW’s Arrow-verse shows and Marvel Studios’ feature films and Netflix shows than I do comic books these days. They’re just generally better on all fronts. Better stories, better continuity, better action, better drama, better humor... Hell even the polemics are better.

Most of the time, they avoid it. Sometimes they slip a sly jab in and make a political joke here or there. But, even when they’re being their most heavy handed and awkward with their politics (Supergirl Season 2 was basically an extended editorial about why we should feel guilty for not electing Sec. Clinton) these shows and films are still less insulting about it than the comics.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.

Jabroniville
Posts: 9060
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:05 pm

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by Jabroniville » Thu May 17, 2018 1:04 am

HalloweenJack wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 10:48 pm
It's funny. Initially I liked Aaron's stuff but around the time Galactus puked in that far off future I was done
He and Spencer got a lot of slack from me because of Wolverine And The X-Men/Superior Foes of Spider-Man, but attached to other stuff...

Voltron64
Posts: 131
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:44 am
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by Voltron64 » Thu May 17, 2018 1:06 am

Jabroniville wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 11:36 am
bsdigitalq wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 4:46 pm
I had a professor back when I was in college who was acquainted with Waid at one point in the 90's, and apparently Waid was very nasty and did something horrible to an acquaintance of his back then. He didn't clarify in order to protect the victim (who apparently requested that the incident not be disclosed to anyone), but he said enough to give me the impression that it was very bad and contrary to a lot of the values Waid publicly espouses. So when I hear about stuff like this, I'm not really all that surprised.
Generally speaking, I find that the biggest broadcasters of their own virtues are often the most guilty of something- it's kind of a human way of giving off guilt or trying to hide things. It's why so many prominent anti-gay people were caught having gay sexy times, and why a lot of "look at how feminist I am!" guys later turned out to be womanizing pigs. It really, really doesn't surprise me that things like this happen. Most people who are ACTUAL virtuous and nice are usually, you know, humbler about it.
Ares wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 2:07 pm
As Batman put it during JLA/JSA: Virtue & Vice: "There are two types of people. The sinners that think they're saints, and the saints that think they're sinners."
Or as Star Trek: First Contact also once put it: "'Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments."

User avatar
HalloweenJack
Posts: 926
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:50 pm

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by HalloweenJack » Thu May 24, 2018 12:47 am

everything aside, I'm actually kind of enjoying the Infinity Countdown stuff

I mean yeah, Infinity gems/stones again....but stuff like Turk having the mind gem and going up in the underworld is pretty cool. Same for seeing some Darkhawk stuff and using old concepts like Code: Blue and all that (and Death's Head, yes?)



Batman's been more hit than miss for me lately, though I coulda done without the Booster Gold screwing everything up in time story (though the Batman Returns Catwoman costume admittedly was a nice little nod). Kinda wonder if they're actually going to go through with and hold to the Batman/Catwoman marriage

User avatar
Batgirl III
Posts: 2429
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:17 am
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by Batgirl III » Thu May 24, 2018 1:26 am

DC Editorial has been actively hostile to married heroes for the last twenty-odd years. I wouldn’t get your hopes up on any superhero marriages lasting for long.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.

Ken
Posts: 1932
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:40 pm
Location: DeKamore, IL, Earth-Two

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by Ken » Thu May 24, 2018 4:15 am

Batgirl III wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 1:26 am
DC Editorial has been actively hostile to married heroes for the last twenty-odd years. I wouldn’t get your hopes up on any superhero marriages lasting for long.
Like Marvel's been any better *coughOneMoreDaycough*
Does a Winnie poo in the 100-acre wood?

MacynSnow
Posts: 3185
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:56 pm

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by MacynSnow » Thu May 24, 2018 6:55 am

Ken wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 4:15 am
Batgirl III wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 1:26 am
DC Editorial has been actively hostile to married heroes for the last twenty-odd years. I wouldn’t get your hopes up on any superhero marriages lasting for long.
Like Marvel's been any better *coughOneMoreDaycough*
Let's not forget the X-Marriages,ken! :D

The only one Marvel HASN'T F*)%#-up has been Mr.Fantastic/Invisible Woman,which i'm thankful for(i'm a rather big FF shipper)....

User avatar
Woodclaw
Posts: 682
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:05 pm
Location: Como, Italy

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by Woodclaw » Thu May 24, 2018 7:12 am

MacynSnow wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 6:55 am
Ken wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 4:15 am
Batgirl III wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 1:26 am
DC Editorial has been actively hostile to married heroes for the last twenty-odd years. I wouldn’t get your hopes up on any superhero marriages lasting for long.
Like Marvel's been any better *coughOneMoreDaycough*
Let's not forget the X-Marriages,ken! :D

The only one Marvel HASN'T F*)%#-up has been Mr.Fantastic/Invisible Woman,which i'm thankful for(i'm a rather big FF shipper)....
I'd like to remind you of a little spout, admitedly a small thing in the middle of a Civil War.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)

MacynSnow
Posts: 3185
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:56 pm

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by MacynSnow » Thu May 24, 2018 7:20 am

Woodclaw wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 7:12 am
MacynSnow wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 6:55 am
Ken wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 4:15 am


Like Marvel's been any better *coughOneMoreDaycough*
Let's not forget the X-Marriages,ken! :D

The only one Marvel HASN'T F*)%#-up has been Mr.Fantastic/Invisible Woman,which i'm thankful for(i'm a rather big FF shipper)....
I'd like to remind you of a little spout, admitedly a small thing in the middle of a Civil War.
I'd like to pretend the whole of Civil War was Immotus being drunk on Guinness(he looks like a Guinness drinker to me) and messing with the controls.

And they never actually divorced in that,just temporarily seperated.

Post Reply