What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
MacynSnow

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by MacynSnow »

Ares wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 3:52 pm In other news, Mark Waid has allegedly been using his position at Marvel to bully a small press publisher and independent creator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Wn33F-Ec2E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY46yQjKgJ4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr7BaLw1E70&t=0s

While this is something that should be taken with a grain of salt, I tend to believe D&C's take on things. And if it's true, then it's a very depressing thing to learn about Mark Waid, who has written some of my favorite books, even if his current run of books have been . . . iffy. I'm interested and concerned with how this plays out.
Hate being the 'Bearer Of ill Tiding' gang,but this Karmic Backlash has been coming since the late 90's when Marvel decided to try to Monopolize the Comics Industry by buying up&demolishing anything they could grab.Waid poked the Dragon with a stick and he's gonna cause Marvel to get a face full of Flame.
bsdigitalq

Post by bsdigitalq »

I had a professor back when I was in college who was acquainted with Waid at one point in the 90's, and apparently Waid was very nasty and did something horrible to an acquaintance of his back then. He didn't clarify in order to protect the victim (who apparently requested that the incident not be disclosed to anyone), but he said enough to give me the impression that it was very bad and contrary to a lot of the values Waid publicly espouses. So when I hear about stuff like this, I'm not really all that surprised.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

I'm particularly interested in the fact that it happened on a work day. What's Waid's actual job? Was Waid acting in an official capacity for Marvel? Because this just screams "violation of laws governing trade practices," and if Waid was on the clock when it happened, Marvel is on the hook for this.
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

What Mr. Waid did is calledTortious interference, (Wikipedia meaning: also known as intentional interference with contractual relations, in the common law of torts, occurs when one person intentionally damages someone else's contractual or business relationships with a third party causing economic harm.) and thus illegal. So illegal that it can get The Mouse sued SUCCESSFULLY.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

bsdigitalq wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 4:46 pm I had a professor back when I was in college who was acquainted with Waid at one point in the 90's, and apparently Waid was very nasty and did something horrible to an acquaintance of his back then. He didn't clarify in order to protect the victim (who apparently requested that the incident not be disclosed to anyone), but he said enough to give me the impression that it was very bad and contrary to a lot of the values Waid publicly espouses. So when I hear about stuff like this, I'm not really all that surprised.
Generally speaking, I find that the biggest broadcasters of their own virtues are often the most guilty of something- it's kind of a human way of giving off guilt or trying to hide things. It's why so many prominent anti-gay people were caught having gay sexy times, and why a lot of "look at how feminist I am!" guys later turned out to be womanizing pigs. It really, really doesn't surprise me that things like this happen. Most people who are ACTUAL virtuous and nice are usually, you know, humbler about it.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

As Batman put it during JLA/JSA: Virtue & Vice: "There are two types of people. The sinners that think they're saints, and the saints that think they're sinners."
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 11:36 am
bsdigitalq wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 4:46 pm I had a professor back when I was in college who was acquainted with Waid at one point in the 90's, and apparently Waid was very nasty and did something horrible to an acquaintance of his back then. He didn't clarify in order to protect the victim (who apparently requested that the incident not be disclosed to anyone), but he said enough to give me the impression that it was very bad and contrary to a lot of the values Waid publicly espouses. So when I hear about stuff like this, I'm not really all that surprised.
Generally speaking, I find that the biggest broadcasters of their own virtues are often the most guilty of something- it's kind of a human way of giving off guilt or trying to hide things. It's why so many prominent anti-gay people were caught having gay sexy times, and why a lot of "look at how feminist I am!" guys later turned out to be womanizing pigs. It really, really doesn't surprise me that things like this happen. Most people who are ACTUAL virtuous and nice are usually, you know, humbler about it.

It honestly makes me think of Jellyrobes and his constant reminding everyone of how 'Alpha' he is.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

HalloweenJack wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 10:30 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 11:36 am
It honestly makes me think of Jellyrobes and his constant reminding everyone of how 'Alpha' he is.
It really is depressing to think of how much time I spent at Herochat and how few people from there I actually miss.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Anyone who needs to tell you they are “alpha,” never actually is. Ever.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Right? I've flat out said that to the guy though, but hey, I'm a morally, intellectually, and physically inferior cave demon

Guy is insecure as hell. lost his shit the other day for a few pages for me daring to be more attracted to Laura Prepon than Lisa Bonet. Jab knows he was there.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Similar personalities are a regular occurrence in the “gun-o-sphere,” parts of the internet devoted to the shooting sports, firearms, and the like. They tend not to stick around for more than a month... But not before they regale is with stories of their days in SEAL Force Delta 6 as a tactical operator who operates tactically during tactical operations.

Pro Tip: Real U.S. Navy SEALs don’t go around telling you they are SEALs. They don’t need to.

Pro Tip II: The total number of personnel assigned to the U.S. Naval Special Warfare Command — everyone from the seniormost Officers, to the members of the Teams, to the guys who just push around the H.R. paperwork — is less than 9,000 people. Total. They all know each other, or at least, can play Six Degrees of Seperation with each other in under three steps. They will put you as a fake within moments. They will not react kindly.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 11:02 pm Anyone who needs to tell you they are “alpha,” never actually is. Ever.
Expressed differently: only people who are insecure about their place in the social heirarchy feel the need to tell people about their own place in the social heirarchy. Wasting time posturing and preening and telling people that you're "alpha" is a direct contradiction of the concept. You don't talk or even think about being "alpha." You set a goal, you take action to achieve the goal, and you make life better for yourself and those you choose to elevate. Maybe other people who observe this will point to this as an example of "alpha" behavior. Maybe they won't. Who cares? Got shit to do.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 11:47 pm Similar personalities are a regular occurrence in the “gun-o-sphere,” parts of the internet devoted to the shooting sports, firearms, and the like. They tend not to stick around for more than a month... But not before they regale is with stories of their days in SEAL Force Delta 6 as a tactical operator who operates tactically during tactical operations.

Pro Tip: Real U.S. Navy SEALs don’t go around telling you they are SEALs. They don’t need to.

Pro Tip II: The total number of personnel assigned to the U.S. Naval Special Warfare Command — everyone from the seniormost Officers, to the members of the Teams, to the guys who just push around the H.R. paperwork — is less than 9,000 people. Total. They all know each other, or at least, can play Six Degrees of Seperation with each other in under three steps. They will put you as a fake within moments. They will not react kindly.
If someone tells you without a fairly compelling reason that they were part of some elite, exclusive combat force, they're almost certainly lying, because The Pros Don't Talk About It. To the point where their children often don't know. One of my best friends had to get his background checked for access to a military base for work, and when he did, an awestruck base commander came to talk to him about his father's service record. Afterward, he said to me "I don't get it. What's 'Delta'?" Thirty-five years old, and his father hadn't seen fit to volunteer that information yet.

This is not atypical.
Last edited by BriarThrone on Wed May 16, 2018 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Fakes always tend to glom on to the ultra elite, ultra badass, ultra famous units... No one pretends to have been an E-2 who changed bedpans and bandages in a Army hospital in Baumholder or an O-3 who oversaw the kitchen staff at Naval Air Station Pensacola. :roll:

When I was a kid, out to some fancy restaurant for dinner with my grandparents to celebrate something or another, we overheard some schmuck haranguing the hostess with the “Do you have any idea who I am!?” routine. My normally quiet and soft-spoken grandfather piped up from his seat, “Why? Did you forget?” :D

He latter gave me a piece of any advice that has stuck with me to this day: Anyone who demands “don’t you know who I am!?” is probably not someone worth knowing in the first place.

Real leaders don’t need to tell you about their leadership, they just lead. Real artists don’t need to tell you about their artistry, they just make art. Real people are real, they don’t need validation.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

To sum all this up, the latest Avengers comic isn't all that great.

Nineties Celestials.....I swear