The New Nook! Long Stride, Lovehammer, Whipsmart

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Skaramine

Re: The New Nook Rises! Quantum Art and My Gryphon

Post by Skaramine »

Robin Locke is updated with her Toughness scores "normalized" and given the Punisher-style "Soaking Punishment" which leaves her looking messed up, but it heals serious damage out of stubbornness and "mere flesh wounds."
Skaramine wrote: Sat May 06, 2017 10:35 pm This is a lady who I've been working upon recently. I've been writing the novel about her. I wanted a cross dressing tough chick in the Victorian era, kicking ass and breaking stereotypes.

Robin Locke - PL 10
Image Image
Strength 2, Stamina 3, Agility 3, Dexterity 7, Fighting 7, Intellect 2, Awareness 5, Presence 3

Advantages
All-out Attack, Animal Empathy, Beginner's Luck, Connected, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 4, Diehard, Equipment 2, Improved Critical: Knife: Strength-based Damage 2, Languages 4, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Skill Mastery: Deception, Takedown, Teamwork, Tracking, Well-informed

Skills
Acrobatics 4 (+7), Athletics 6 (+8), Close Combat: Unarmed 9 (+16), Deception 8 (+11), Expertise: Survival 8 (+10), Insight 5 (+10), Intimidation 4 (+7), Investigation 4 (+6), Persuasion 2 (+5), Ranged Combat: Personal Arsenal 3 (+10), Stealth 4 (+7), Treatment 4 (+6)

Powers
Adaptable: Feature 2 (Custom: Each rank allows you to use the Beginner's Luck Advantage Without Using A Hero Point)
Personal Arsenal
. . Knife: Strength-based Damage 2 (DC 19, Advantages: Improved Critical; Penetrating 4)
. . Light Pistol: Damage 4 (DC 19; Increased Range: ranged)
. . Thrown Knife: Strength-based Damage 1 (DC 18; Accurate 2: +4, Increased Range: ranged [2 extra ranks])
Soaking Damage: Regeneration 3 (painfully stubborn, Every 3.33 rounds; Subtle: subtle; Quirk: doesn't work vs the last damage taken during the encounter)
Traveller's Luck: Enhanced Trait 10 (Traits: Dodge +3 (+13), Parry +3 (+13), Advantages: Defensive Roll 4)

Equipment
Personal Arsenal [Personal Arsenal]

Offense
Initiative +3
Grab, +7 (DC Spec 12)
Knife: Strength-based Damage 2, +16 (DC 19)
Light Pistol: Damage 4, +15 (DC 19)
Throw, +11 (DC 17)
Thrown Knife: Strength-based Damage 1, +15 (DC 18)
Unarmed, +16 (DC 17)

Complications
Motivation: Thrills
Prejudice: Robin Locke is a Woman in a Man's Adventuring World

Languages
Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), English, French, German, Russian

Defense
Dodge 13/10, Parry 13/10, Fortitude 8, Toughness 7/3, Will 8

Power Points
Abilities 64 + Powers 15 + Advantages 22 + Skills 31 (61 ranks) + Defenses 18 = 150

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at http://www.wolflair.com
Mutants & Masterminds, Third Edition is ©2010-2017 Green Ronin Publishing, LLC. All rights reserved.
Once upon a time, in an era when a lady's place was known and limited, even stifling, an adventurous young woman made herself a man of action.
Robin Locke didn't have to change her name to escape the constraints of 1897. All she had to do was don a mustache and become Un-Locked.

This is her in her late twenties, after beginning life on the run as a teenager, and hardening up thanks to cattle drives across the Southwest, and being Shanghai'd on a slow boat to China. She's been across Asia and back, and is about to enter the valley of the Wolf Girl in India.

She's a PL10, and insanely skilled. I based her off of the Ray Gun Hero from the Cosmic Book, and liked the Traveller's Luck. She nearly gets gutted in the first chapter by a bandit with a knife, but the Traveller's Luck explains how a wound which would have filleted another person only is messy, and partially disrobing of her. Maybe I should put some subtle on that Toughness - she shows a lot of scratches and cuts, but in the end, it's only a flesh wound.

Updated her toughness to lower it, giving her more of a Defensive Roll, and added "Soaking Punishment" from the Punisher and punishment thread.

This works a little better.
The ATT member formerly known as both MorningKnight and Power-Glove.
Just call me Doug.
Skaramine

Re: The New Nook Rises!Future Freedom League (Worlds of Freedom)

Post by Skaramine »

One more take on my Man Called Mace, using the Telekinetic Psionic and the Crimefighter for base bits.

Art drawn by Kent Clark. Yup. That's his real name. :)

Mace Telekinetic Battle Modes - PL 10

Strength 6/3, Stamina 7/4, Agility 5, Dexterity 5, Fighting 8, Intellect 4, Awareness 2, Presence 3

Advantages
Close Attack, Defensive Roll 2, Improved Initiative, Jack-of-all-trades, Power Attack, Ranged Attack, Uncanny Dodge

Skills
Acrobatics 3 (+8), Close Combat: Unarmed 5 (+13), Expertise: Streetwise 3 (+7), Insight 6 (+8), Intimidation 6 (+9), Investigation 5 (+9), Perception 4 (+6), Ranged Combat: Chuck: Strength-based Damage 5 3 (+8), Stealth 3 (+8)

Powers
Built In Radar: Senses 4 (Accurate: Radio, Direction Sense, Radio)
Magnetic Powered
. . Battle Mode
. . . . Enhanced Trait: Enhanced Trait 12 (Traits: Strength +3 (+6), Stamina +3 (+7))
. . . . Leaping: Leaping 5 (Leap 250 feet at 60 miles/hour)
. . Magnetic Bolts: Damage 6 (DC 21; Accurate 4: +8, Increased Range: ranged, Precise)
. . Magnetic Manipulation: Move Object 6 (3200 lbs.; Accurate 4: +8, Precise)
Magnetically Manipulated Mace (Easily Removable)
. . Bash: Strength-based Damage 5 (DC 26; Penetrating 11, Reach (melee): 5 ft.)
. . Chuck: Strength-based Damage 5 (DC 26; Increased Range: ranged [6 extra ranks])
. . Defense: Deflect 11
. . Fan: Line Area Move Object 10 (25 tons; Line Area: 5 feet wide by 30 feet long, DC 20; Distracting, Reduced Range: close)
. . Groundquake: Burst Area Affliction 10 (1st degree: Dazed, Hindered, 2nd degree: Stunned, Prone, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 20; Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, DC 20, Extra Condition; Limited: Mace and Targets Must Both Be In Contact With Ground, Limited Degree)
. . Launch: Flight 8 (Speed: 500 miles/hour, 1 mile/round)

Offense
Initiative +9
Bash: Strength-based Damage 5, +9 (DC 26)
Chuck: Strength-based Damage 5, +9 (DC 26)
Fan: Line Area Move Object 10 (DC 20)
Grab, +14 (DC Spec 16)
Groundquake: Burst Area Affliction 10 (DC Fort 20)
Magnetic Bolts: Damage 6, +14 (DC 21)
Magnetic Manipulation: Move Object 6, +14 (DC 16)
Throw, +6 (DC 21)
Unarmed, +14 (DC 21)

Complications
"The Post Turtle": Arnold/Mace is generally a humble guy. In times of intense emotional stress, he believes that he is an imposter, the "post turtle."
"When you're driving down a country road and you see a fence post with a turtle balanced on top, that's a post turtle. You know he didn't get up there by himself. He doesn't belong there; you wonder who put him there; he can't get anything done while he's up there; and you just want to help the poor, dumb thing down."
Enemy: Despite his lack of bravado and belief in his skills, he's amassed a large retinue of enemies.
Identity: Arnold Judas Dolenz

Languages
Native Language

Defense
Dodge 11, Parry 11, Fortitude 9, Toughness 9/7, Will 9

Power Points
Abilities 68 + Powers 37 + Advantages 8 + Skills 19 (38 ranks) + Defenses 18 = 150

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at http://www.wolflair.com
Mutants & Masterminds, Third Edition is ©2010-2017 Green Ronin Publishing, LLC. All rights reserved.
Just call me Doug.
Skaramine

Post by Skaramine »

After being busy for a while, I finally have a schedule to do more than just lurk here.

As a thought experiment, and inspired by J-Mart's Playable Store, I decided to do another crack at my character Mace, getting rid of the power creep (still, a DC18 Special/100 ton Move Object Wind shows what I'm holding onto) and cribbing from the Weapons Master after carving out some points for various magnetic powers.

Mace - PL10 Start - PL 10

Strength 3, Stamina 8, Agility 5, Dexterity 5, Fighting 5, Intellect 1, Awareness 1, Presence 1

Advantages
Assessment, Close Attack 7, Equipment 2, Evasion, Improved Critical: Club Bash: Strength-based Damage 2, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 9, Takedown, Uncanny Dodge

Skills
Acrobatics 5 (+10), Athletics 2 (+5), Close Combat: Club Bash: Strength-based Damage 2 2 (+7), Deception 8 (+9), Expertise: Espionage 4 (+5), Expertise: Military 4 (+5), Insight 6 (+7), Investigation 4 (+5), Perception 8 (+9), Stealth 5 (+10)

Powers
Magnetic Levitation: Flight 1 (Speed: 4 miles/hour, 60 feet/round; Levitation)
Magnetic Powers
Big Fan Of Thor: Cone Area Move Object 8 (100 tons; Cone Area: 60 feet cone, DC 18, Increased Mass 4; Distracting, Limited Direction: Push/Pull, Quirk: Requires "Propeller", Reduced Range: close)
Enhanced Bash: Damage 5+2 ([Stacking ranks: +2], DC 22; Penetrating 3; Inaccurate: -2)
Enhanced Throw: Damage 5 (DC 20; Increased Range: ranged; Inaccurate 2: -4)
Mace Hop: Leaping 6 (Leap 500 feet at 120 miles/hour; Quirk: Requires Club to Bootstrap)
Magnetic Bolt: Damage 3 (DC 18; Accurate: +2, Increased Range: ranged)
Magnetism: Move Object 6 (3200 lbs.; Precise; Limited Material: Ferrous Metals)
MRI Vision: Senses 7 (Extended: Radio 3: x1k, Penetrates Concealment: Radio)
Magnetic Reinforcement: Enhanced Stamina 4 (+4 STA)
Magnetic Senses: Senses 4 (Accurate: Choose Sense, Danger Sense: Choose Sense Type, Radio, Advantages: Uncanny Dodge)
Super Club
Blocking: Deflect 12 (Easily Removable)
Club Bash: Strength-based Damage 2 (Easily Removable, DC 20; Penetrating 4, Reach (melee): 5 ft., Stacks with: Enhanced Bash: Damage 5+2)
Club Throw: Strength-based Damage 2+2 (Easily Removable, [Stacking ranks: +2], DC 22; Increased Range: ranged, Stacks with: Club Throw: Strength-based Damage 2+2; Inaccurate: -2)

Equipment
Super-Club [Super Club]

Offense
Initiative +9
Big Fan Of Thor: Cone Area Move Object 8 (DC 18)
Club Bash: Strength-based Damage 2, +14 (DC 20)
Club Throw: Strength-based Damage 2+2, +14 (DC 20)
Enhanced Bash: Damage 5+2, +10 (DC 25)
Enhanced Throw: Damage 5+2, +10 (DC 25)
Grab, +12 (DC Spec 13)
Magnetic Bolt: Damage 3, +16 (DC 18)
Magnetism: Move Object 6, +14 (DC 16)
Throw, +14 (DC 18)
Unarmed, +12 (DC 18)

Complications
Complications
"The Post Turtle": Arnold/Mace is generally a humble guy. In times of intense emotional stress, he believes that he is an imposter, the "post turtle."
"When you're driving down a country road and you see a fence post with a turtle balanced on top, that's a post turtle. You know he didn't get up there by himself. He doesn't belong there; you wonder who put him there; he can't get anything done while he's up there; and you just want to help the poor, dumb thing down."
Enemy: Despite his lack of bravado and belief in his skills, he's amassed a large retinue of enemies.
Identity: Arnold Judas Dolenz
Imposter Syndrome: In an instance where A Man Called Mace has to accept praise, roll for a Will Save. Failure results in depression and self-recrimination for 1d20/5 hours. (Or 1d4).
Motivation: Responsibility

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 12, Parry 12, Fortitude 10, Toughness 8, Will 8

Power Points
Abilities 50 + Powers 28 + Advantages 25 + Skills 24 (48 ranks) + Defenses 23 = 150

Concept: Highly trained hero making the most of "low powered" magnetism.
Legal Status: American citizen with top security clearance
Identity: Secret to the public at large
Place of Birth: Great Lakes Naval Station
Marital Status: Single
Living Relatives:
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 185 lbs.
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Brown

Background:
"Just take a look at this kid, Sarge."

With his cowl pulled back, the star-spangled warrior looked old and tired, nothing like his costumed persona was when out there, putting his life on the line for the American people, being a protector and an inspiration. But now that you could see his eyes, you could see the miles he'd tread, the friends lost, the ideals betrayed over the years. "He hasn't even gone through boot camp, yet."

"He's got a head start, though. He's a meta."

The patriot lifted the file again, looking at Arnold Dolenz's face. Young, reminding him of other boys who had gone into the field, filled with duty and patriotism. Too many hadn't come back in his experience. Then again, even one loss was too many for him.

"They'll throw him into the fire anyway, Sarge. You'll at least give him a fighting chance."

The costumed patriot pulled up his cowl. "Introduce me to the lad."

They would have seen any parachutists, but Operative Dolenz had an advantage - his magnetic powers. He'd grown used to being called the Silver Squire, the right hand to the Morning Knight. Hanging onto the handles of two combat knives, he propelled himself through the sky before slowing his descent, utilizing the steel in their blades to keep him in the air.

Landing, he encountered the first of the Serpent's Tooth armored Mamba Strikers, highly trained stormtroopers. He snuck up on them, then fried their comm-links with a magnetic pulse. Though their body armor was enough to stop even a rifle, his magnetic control increased the striking power of the two combat knives to the point where he could have carved a bus apart like it was a loaf of lunchmeat. Dolenz hated the fact that he had to kill, but the Mamba Strikers were culled from ranks of convicted murderers, and were among the bloodiest members of Serpent's Tooth. They also possessed battle rifles which could chop him apart, just like the Mamba Strikers had gunned down the villagers who once resided in this remote jungle.

Vengeance for them was a side-order. The main course that would satisfy Dolenz was the defending of the rest of this tiny nation from Serpent's Tooth, lest they use their budding War Nest to conquer and turn all its surviving citizens into slaves. He effected repairs on one of the Strikers' radios, then attuned himself to it, letting the War Nest's communications center lead him in.

The War Nest was hidden inside the volcano, and Dolenz knew that the small backpack charge he wore would be worthless. Such a blast would cause the volcano to erupt, killing hundreds of natives. He was going to have to clean out the base one Mamba Striker at a time. He'd end up hurt, and the mission could fail, but compared to the people living in the shadow of the volcano, he was expendable.

The man from the MACE Project entered the enemy base.

"You've survived long enough to go solo, son. I'm proud of you."

"I only did what you taught me to."

"I don't have to remind you now, you're as much a First Responder as you are a warrior. You've proven that enough across your career."

"I had a good teacher, one who's the truest example of a hero I could ever aspire to."

"Have you picked a name?"

"No."

"Remember when we first met? You wanted to call yourself the Magnetic Ace?"

"Yeah."

"I liked that. But it runs a bit long."

The Knight handed him a package. "How about just being a man called Mace?"

Arnold nodded, trying to ignore the moisture which welled in his eyes.

"Good luck, son."

Trained by the best, Arnold Mason "Mace" Dolenz survived both covert black operations and highly publicized conflicts with metahuman threats and terrorist organizations. Through it all, with the guidance of his mentor, he has avoided cynicism, and yet kept his patriotism from descending into jingoistic blather. Rising to public adulation as a Man Called Mace, he has become a premeir hero.

Working in Warfield, he came into an allegiance with the Remedy and Avongard. Utilizing his official status and heroic acceptance, he's been able to grant his teammates leeway in its war against corruption. That status, plus his phenominal training, experience and skillful use of his magnetic powers has made him an invaluable ally to the Remedy, as well as the Liberation's tactical commander.

Personality:
Beliefs:
1 - America is a place where my personal ideals have come closest to their fruition, but I will not surrender to blind jingoism, racism, sexism or species-centric behavior. All humans have the right to operate to their full conscience.
2 - Those who can must always be there to help those who cannot.
3 - Service to my fellow sentients, regardless of race, sex, species or belief, so long as they do not engage in wanton destruction and harm is the highest calling in my life.

Instincts:
1 - Nobody should die while I'm around, but if death must come, let it rest in the lap of the deathbringer himself. Lethal force is a last resort, but to protect those weaker than myself, I will utiilize it if no other option remains. I am experienced enough to know that when I am forced to kill, I have done everything to prevent the taking of a life, and so will not be crushed by guilt.
2 - Corruption makes me seethe. When my own government displays such corruption, I am inconsolable and will act without hesitation to expose its wrongs. I fear no consequences of such action to myself, but threats against noncombatants or bystanders will require me to take an alternate set of measures to end the corruption, so long as I and the corrupt are the only ones that suffer.
3 - I do not mind being called the red and blue boyscout. I AM that prepared.
4 - I'm not worthy of the adulation I receive. I sought to uphold my mentor's legacy, and instead, I'm erasing it. I hate myself for being a leech.

Powers and Tactics:
Arnold Dolenz is a mutant, who in his teenaged years developed the ability to project and control magnetic fields. This would have gone unnoticed by others except for the fact that he was a teenager in the era of magnetically recorded data - touching audio tapes and floppy disks would erase them. Standing near a television monitor also violently warps its images. Arnold was originally able to lift 3200 pounds of ferrous mass with normal effort with his magnetic powers. He can also project bolts of magnetic force, scramble radio communications, and cause electronics to fail. Arnold will eventually develop the ability to utilize a form of radar (actually magnetic resonance waves) where in he can see objects in a full 360 degree radius around him, as well as to listen to and transmit radio messages under his own willpower. For now, he can "see" in darkness, and he can even use MRI vision - penetrating most concealment, except, ironically, metal plates.

When he's using the club gifted to him by his mentor, he's proven able to swing or throw it with enough strength powerful enough to crack tank armor, or hand on to it as he launches himself on great leaps. He's also developed the ability to create a localized windstorm by whirling the club in a circle. These winds have proven strong enough to lift 100 tons with maximum effort. He can also deflect all manner of ranged attacks with the spinning club. How he can do this with his level of magnetic energy emission is confusing those who study him.

In reality, Arnold can now life any material, regardless of magnetic makeup. The production of enormous winds, the deflection of bullets and energy bolts, and his soon to be developed "groundshaker blow" are his will in the form of telekinesis causing quakes or pushing hard.
Just call me Doug.
Skaramine

Post by Skaramine »

Once more, into the breach with one of my most over-edited, heavily reworked (Character sheet and appearance-wise) heroes, A Man Called Mace,

But now in ICONS! Steve's OTHER Superhero game!

ICONS

A MAN CALLED...MACE

Prowess - Incredible (7)
Coordination - Good (5)
Strength - Great (6)
Intelligence - Average (3)
Awareness - Fair (4)
Willpower - Fair (4)

Stamina -10
Determination - 1

Specialties
Military, Athletics, Stealth

Powers
Telekinetic Strike - Incredible (7)
Extra: Blast, Limit: Extra Only - cannot use powers unless Mace retrieves his thrown weapon
Extra: Telekinesis, Limit: Half Power (Average (3)) Only
Extra: Air Control, Limit: Performance - Must be able to twirl his weapon like a fan
Extra: Defending, Limit: Performance - By whirling his weapon, Mace can protect himself and others in a cone behind him as if it were a solid, large shield
Extra: Flight, Limit: Needs to "drag himself along with an object" Thor or Mary Poppins style
Leaping - Poor (2) Mace can naturally leap the length of a city block
Super Senses - Weak (1) Mace has Radar
Damage Resistance - Average (3) Mace's telekinetic abilities grant him greater than human toughness.

Qualities
Epithet - "The All American Knight"
"Graduated from Sidekick School" - A Man Called Mace has gained a lot of experience from his mentor, the Morning Knight, and as such, very little can surprise or phase him as he's been fighting super-villains since a young age.
"

Challenges
"Imposter Syndrome" - Despite his experience and skill, A Man Called Mace can find himself emotionally and mentally overwhelmed by praise he feels is unwarranted (which is everything), and being called an equal, or even better than his old mentor requires an Amazing (8) Willpower Task. Success means his Powers, Prowess, Coordination and Strength all drop by 2. Failure means his powers disappear (because his Willpower IS the root of his telekinesis) and his Attributes drop to Prowess - Fair (4), Coordination - Average (3), and Strength - Average (3), with attendant Stamina loss.

"Once a Spy" - Both the Morning Knight and Ace, the Silver Squire (Mace's old title, where he used a silver painted staff as his weapon), also worked in espionage and counter terrorism - without their costumes. As such, Mace has old enemies as well as friends who are unsavory to a more "heroic" crowd. As well, Mace's willingness to engage in lethal force to save non-combatants from harm also leaves distaste in the mouths of some heroes.

"America's Defender - the Red, Silver and Blue Target" - Being the "All American Knight" also means that there will be people who are anti-establishment, patriotic to other governments, and just all around hating America wanting to take him down a peg or three.

"I'm My Own Worst Enemy" - Mace can come off as crass, stubborn, or just an overall drama queen, alienating his friends and fans alike.

"My Powers Are All In My Mind" - Mace's superior attributes and powers come from his Telekinesis - aka his Willpower. Mental assaults or psionic dampeners leave him as an Average guy, albeit with a club (Fair (4) Damage) that he can use with Fair (4) Prowess.

Concept: Highly trained hero making the most of "low powered" magnetism.
Legal Status: American citizen with top security clearance
Identity: Secret to the public at large
Place of Birth: Great Lakes Naval Station
Marital Status: Single
Living Relatives: 
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 185 lbs.
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Brown

Background:
"Just take a look at this kid, Sarge."

With his cowl pulled back, the star-spangled warrior looked old and tired, nothing like his costumed persona was when out there, putting his life on the line for the American people, being a protector and an inspiration. But now that you could see his eyes, you could see the miles he'd tread, the friends lost, the ideals betrayed over the years. "He hasn't even gone through boot camp, yet."

"He's got a head start, though. He's a meta."

The patriot lifted the file again, looking at Arnold Dolenz's face. Young, reminding him of other boys who had gone into the field, filled with duty and patriotism. Too many hadn't come back in his experience. Then again, even one loss was too many for him.

"They'll throw him into the fire anyway, Sarge. You'll at least give him a fighting chance."

The costumed patriot pulled up his cowl. "Introduce me to the lad."

They would have seen any parachutists, but Operative Dolenz had an advantage - his magnetic powers. He'd grown used to being called the Silver Squire, the right hand to the Morning Knight. Hanging onto the handles of two combat knives, he propelled himself through the sky before slowing his descent, utilizing the steel in their blades to keep him in the air.

Landing, he encountered the first of the Serpent's Tooth armored Mamba Strikers, highly trained stormtroopers. He snuck up on them, then fried their comm-links with a magnetic pulse. Though their body armor was enough to stop even a rifle, his magnetic control increased the striking power of the two combat knives to the point where he could have carved a bus apart like it was a loaf of lunchmeat. Dolenz hated the fact that he had to kill, but the Mamba Strikers were culled from ranks of convicted murderers, and were among the bloodiest members of Serpent's Tooth. They also possessed battle rifles which could chop him apart, just like the Mamba Strikers had gunned down the villagers who once resided in this remote jungle.

Vengeance for them was a side-order. The main course that would satisfy Dolenz was the defending of the rest of this tiny nation from Serpent's Tooth, lest they use their budding War Nest to conquer and turn all its surviving citizens into slaves. He effected repairs on one of the Strikers' radios, then attuned himself to it, letting the War Nest's communications center lead him in.

The War Nest was hidden inside the volcano, and Dolenz knew that the small backpack charge he wore would be worthless. Such a blast would cause the volcano to erupt, killing hundreds of natives. He was going to have to clean out the base one Mamba Striker at a time. He'd end up hurt, and the mission could fail, but compared to the people living in the shadow of the volcano, he was expendable.

The man from the MACE Project entered the enemy base.

"You've survived long enough to go solo, son. I'm proud of you."

"I only did what you taught me to."

"I don't have to remind you now, you're as much a First Responder as you are a warrior. You've proven that enough across your career."

"I had a good teacher, one who's the truest example of a hero I could ever aspire to."

"Have you picked a name?"

"No."

"Remember when we first met? You wanted to call yourself the Magnetic Ace?"

"Yeah."

"I liked that. But it runs a bit long."

The Knight handed him a package. "How about just being a man called Mace?"

Arnold nodded, trying to ignore the moisture which welled in his eyes.

"Good luck, son."

Trained by the best, Arnold Mason "Mace" Dolenz survived both covert black operations and highly publicized conflicts with metahuman threats and terrorist organizations. Through it all, with the guidance of his mentor, he has avoided cynicism, and yet kept his patriotism from descending into jingoistic blather. Rising to public adulation as a Man Called Mace, he has become a premeir hero.

Powers and Tactics:
Arnold Dolenz is a mutant, who in his teenaged years developed the ability to project and control magnetic fields. This would have gone unnoticed by others except for the fact that he was a teenager in the era of magnetically recorded data - touching audio tapes and floppy disks would erase them. Standing near a television monitor also violently warps its images. Arnold was originally able to lift 3200 pounds of ferrous mass with normal effort with his magnetic powers. He can also project bolts of magnetic force, scramble radio communications, and cause electronics to fail. Arnold will eventually develop the ability to utilize a form of radar (actually magnetic resonance waves) where in he can see objects in a full 360 degree radius around him, as well as to listen to and transmit radio messages under his own willpower. For now, he can "see" in darkness, and he can even use MRI vision - penetrating most concealment, except, ironically, metal plates.

When he's using the club gifted to him by his mentor, he's proven able to swing or throw it with enough strength powerful enough to crack tank armor, or hand on to it as he launches himself on great leaps. He's also developed the ability to create a localized windstorm by whirling the club in a circle. These winds have proven strong enough to lift 100 tons with maximum effort. He can also deflect all manner of ranged attacks with the spinning club. How he can do this with his level of magnetic energy emission is confusing those who study him.

In reality, Arnold can lift any material, regardless of magnetic makeup. The production of enormous winds, the deflection of bullets and energy bolts, and his soon to be developed "groundshaker blow" are his will in the form of telekinesis causing quakes or pushing hard.
Just call me Doug.
Skaramine

Re: The New Nook Rises! Now with ICONS write-ups, A Man Called Mace!

Post by Skaramine »

Long Stride - PL 10

Artwork is by Xalienrath-Universe on DeviantArt, featuring Brahma of his team the Star-Brats standing in for Long Stride, and SpeedSlide's character Virtus for scale, a placeholder until I work on Long Stride's real look.

Giant Form:
Strength 10, Stamina 9, Agility 2, Dexterity 2, Fighting 2, Intellect 2, Awareness 2, Presence 2
Normal Height:
Strength 2, Stamina 2, Agility 2, Dexterity 2, Fighting 2, Intellect 2, Awareness 2, Presence 2
Shrunken
Strength 2, Stamina 2, Agility 2, Dexterity 2, Fighting 2, Intellect 2, Awareness 2, Presence 2

Advantages
Accurate Attack, Benefit, Wealth 2 (independently wealthy), Defensive Roll 3, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, High Tech Laboratory 3, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Smash, Inventor, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Skill Mastery: Expertise: Science

Skills
Close Combat: Unarmed 8 (+10), Expertise: Business 6 (+8), Expertise: Science 6 (+8), Insight 4 (+6), Investigation 6 (+8), Perception 6 (+8), Technology 6 (+8)

Powers
Huge Size (Activation: Move Action)
Dense Flesh: Impervious Toughness 9
Giant Woman: Growth 7 (+7 STR, +7 STA, +3 Intimidate, -7 Stealth, -4 active defenses, +1 size rank, +7 mass ranks)
Long Legs: Leaping 2 (Leap 30 feet at 8 miles/hour)
Long Legs: Speed 5 (Speed: 60 miles/hour, 900 feet/round)
Skilled and Strong: Enhanced Trait 19 (Traits: Strength +1 (+10), Fortitude -3 (+12), Dodge +4 (+8), Parry +4 (+8), Close Combat +8 (+10), Advantages: Accurate Attack, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Smash, Power Attack)
Thunder Clap: Cone Area Affliction 10 (1st degree: Dazed, 2nd degree: Stunned, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 20; Cone Area: 60 feet cone, DC 20; Limited Degree)
Arm Sweep: Shapeable Area Damage 10 (Alternate; DC 25; Shapeable Area: 30 cft., DC 20; Limited: Shapable Area is in an arc as far as her arm can reach.)
Big Girl's Charge: Line Area Damage 10 (Alternate; DC 25; Line Area: 5 feet wide by 30 feet long, DC 20; Limited: Pygmalion Must Travel Through Intervening Distance)
Ground Strike: Burst Area Affliction 10 (Alternate; 1st degree: Hindered, Dazed, 2nd degree: Prone, Stunned, DC 20; Alternate Resistance (Dodge), Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, DC 20, Extra Condition; Limited: Pygmalion and Targets Must Be On Same Surface, Limited Degree)
AE:Tiny Size (Alternate; Activation: Move Action)
Bug Sized: Shrinking 16 (+16 Stealth, +8 active defenses, -4 size ranks; Normal Strength)
Dense Little Bullet: Impervious Toughness 2
Microscopic Cybernetic Wings: Flight 6 (Removable, Speed: 120 miles/hour, 1800 feet/round; Wings)
Tiny and Dangerous: Enhanced Trait 7 (Traits: Close Combat +8 (+18), Dodge -1 (+15), Parry -1 (+15), Advantages: Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative 2, Power Attack)

Giant Size
Offense
Initiative +2
Arm Sweep: Shapeable Area Damage 10 (DC 25)
Big Girl's Charge: Line Area Damage 10 (DC 25)
Grab, +10 (DC Spec 20)
Ground Strike: Burst Area Affliction 10 (DC Dog/Fort/Will 20)
Throw, +2 (DC 25)
Thunder Clap: Cone Area Affliction 10 (DC Fort 20)
Unarmed, +10 (DC 25)

Normal Size:
Grab, +10, (DC Spec 2)
Unarmed, +10, (DC 17)

Shrunken Flying size:
Grab, +10, (DC Spec 2)
Unarmed, +18, (DC 17)

Complications
Enemy: Her "brother" Adonis - the Perfect Android
Identity: Pygmalion "Mali" Foster, businesswoman, scientist, adventurer.
Motivation: Responsibility: To undo the damage her father caused.

Languages
Native Language

Defense
Giant Size
Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fortitude 12, Toughness 12/9, Will 8

Normal Size
Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fortitude 8, Toughness 5/2, Will 8

Tiny Size
Dodge 15, Parry 15, Fortitude 8, Toughness 5/2, Will 8

Power Points
Abilities 32 + Powers 62 + Advantages 11 + Skills 21 (42 ranks) + Defenses 24 = 150

He was in jail still, for all the horror and havoc he'd unleashed.

"Let me design the greatest computer mind in the world, and then I'll put it in a powerful android body..."

He'd been the founder of a great team of heroes, and her father, but Pygmalion Foster still remembered her mother's face bruised and bloody. Uncle William took her in, adopted her after her mother died. It was supposed to be an alien lookalike who'd turned her into a living bomb, but Mali knew better.

Uncle William taught her to be her own woman. No, she'd never be a world-shaking brilliant futurist like the superhuman minds of this era, but she was as talented and hard working a scientist and designer as any. And Uncle William taught her how to use their common size-changing powers with incredible efficiency.

She'd be no goliath, no giant-woman, no derrivative of Doctor Henry's identities.

She'd be Long Stride. And woe to anyone who tried to threaten her family, her friends, her city again.

Under the Hood:
Hank Pym's Giant/Ant Man had some fantastic power set potential. Too bad writers kept making him suck.

This build came about from rolling a Quick Creation Shapeshifter. I started building the power sets for the character, first and foremost a giant brawler, followed by a small winged flying critter.

The next thing you know, Pygmalion Foster is born.
Just call me Doug.
Woodclaw

Re: The New Nook Rises! Long Stride (the unsucking of a Pym?)

Post by Woodclaw »

As much as I love the concept of size-changing characters they're a pain to balance. I really need to find a good way to rework them.

Still not bad character, I like how you tried to include all the potential giant sized attacks in her design.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Skaramine

Re: The New Nook Rises! Long Stride (the unsucking of a Pym?)

Post by Skaramine »

Artwork by Gary Pope, aka, HulkDaddyG on DeviantArt.

Lovehammer Focused - PL 10

Strength 8, Stamina 8, Agility 4, Dexterity 0, Fighting 8, Intellect 2, Awareness 2, Presence 3

Advantages
All-out Attack, Improved Defense, Improved Initiative 2, Improved Smash, Improved Trip, Leadership, Power Attack, Set-up, Takedown 2, Teamwork

Skills
Acrobatics 6 (+10), Athletics 5 (+13), Close Combat: Unarmed 4 (+12), Deception 8 (+11), Expertise: Tactics 8 (+10), Insight 7 (+9), Intimidation 12 (+16), Perception 7 (+9), Persuasion 6 (+9), Ranged Combat: Lightning Bolt: Damage 10 10 (+10)

Powers
Boom Hammer (Easily Removable (indestructible))
Arc Rider
Arc Hop: Leaping 7 (Leap 900 feet at 250 miles/hour)
Can Hover: Feature 1
Lightning Pole: Movement 1 (Safe Fall)
Hammer Time: Strength-based Damage 4 (DC 27; Penetrating 12, Reach (melee): 5 ft.)
Lightning Bolt: Damage 10 (DC 25; Increased Range: ranged)
Thunder Boom: Cone Area Affliction 10 (1st degree: Dazed, 2nd degree: Stunned, 3rd degree: Incapacitated, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 20; Cone Area: 60 feet cone, DC 20)
Orc Physiology
Toughskin: Protection 4 (+4 Toughness)
Troll Blood: Growth 2 (+2 STR, +2 STA, +1 Intimidate, -2 Stealth, -1 active defenses, +2 mass ranks; Innate; Permanent)
Troll Blood: Regeneration 2 (Every 5 rounds)

Offense
Initiative +12
Grab, +8 (DC Spec 18)
Hammer Time: Strength-based Damage 4, +8 (DC 27)
Lightning Bolt: Damage 10, +10 (DC 25)
Throw, +0 (DC 23)
Thunder Boom: Cone Area Affliction 10 (DC Fort 20)
Unarmed, +12 (DC 23)

Complications
Monstrous: Nearly 8 feet tall, 800 lbs and with tusks and green skin.
Motivation: Doing Good

Languages
Native Language

Defense
Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fortitude 10, Toughness 12, Will 8

Power Points
Abilities 62 + Powers 25 + Advantages 12 + Skills 37 (73 ranks) + Defenses 14 = 150

I come from another world, a world where you humans are just one of many thinking, talking species. My name and rank are Maziah Hrr'koon, Captain of the Okkarron Imperial Guard.

And I'll have to say, I made it through the ranks by earning every victory and accolade. 

On our world, the humans and the Okkarrons were at war, two Empires that hated each other across racial divides. Being among the elite of my army, I was sent on missions that taught me the truth about all the sentient people of our world - we were just puppets being jerked like puppets on strings, fed lies to feed bigotry. Humans were no more evil than my kind, except that our leaders had fostered enough hatred to make atrocities against those who were different to be no crime. 

Nothing good or bad lasts forever. I and some of my fellow elite as well as a group of brave humans devoted to ending our senseless wars found the true master, the one inciting all this violence as a means of mass sacrifice to the darkest of gods. Our troupe suffered greatly, but I fought my way to him, and struck him with the Hammer of Love, crushing his skull to a squishy pulp.

His dying action was to abduct us all to an endless voice where I floated for a time I could not measure. Only when another sorcerer summoned a cadre of fearsome warriors he called "orcs" was I summoned here. Apparently, that's what you humans call us. 

The thugs with whoom I was dragged to Earth were beasts of the lowest sort, as was the fell necromancer whose only redeeming quality was an inept summoning spell. With a mighty heave, I smote him with the Lovehammer as brightly clad warriors stopped the others.

These warriors, called super heroes, did not look upon me with prejudice. They accepted me.

My name is Maziah Hrr'koon. My title is Lovehammer. And my job is defender of my adopted world. 

- Jab's comments about less than Swimsuit Issue bodies on superheroines struck a chord with me. I have my Lovehammer, and she is here. (I'll transfer the Heromachine image tomorrow night.)

- This is an update. I was looking through the Cosmic Handbook, and thought - the Orion Expy is TOTALLY a great base for my big girl. I also decided to do an update on her hammer. One - she now has a means of getting around, aside from just long legs, and she has some ranged combat.

- Maziah is my idea of Captain AmericOrc combined with Hank Pym when he was stuck at 10 feet tall as Goliath, physically impressive, highly skilled, and wielding a neat weapon. She's one part Weapon Master, one part Super Soldier, with the combined mass and height of both. As such, she can manipulate her Caps easily, all the while swinging a big magic hammer and shrugging off damage with her magical armor. She can sweep through mooks like they were a bowl of pistachios (as Abbey once said, you can't eat just one), and also give a Powerhouse some serious bruising.

- Maziah hasn't learned many modern day technical skills, but she can read e-mail, warm up a mug of coffee, and knows which door to open on the fridge to get ice or a cold beer. (She loves cold beer, much better than the warmed over, fermented crap on her world. Even if humans do get skittish around her, she'll still side with humanity because of the beer.)

- She does well either alone or with a team, and being a former elite military officer, she can prove to be the cornerstone of a good team, boosting and improving. Note the Knowledge (Tactics) score. Alone, she can hold her own very well (especially with her feints - both regular and Startle), but working with a team, she's almost as magical as her big indestructible hammer.

- Note, thanks to Long Stride (who I've had as a concept for a while), I'm thinking of a "GirlVengers" Rule 63 team.
Last edited by Skaramine on Thu May 10, 2018 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just call me Doug.
Skaramine

Re: The New Nook! Long Stride, Lovehammer Update

Post by Skaramine »

And now, the "Iron Man" of my Girlvengers...

Whipsmart - PL 10

Strength 1, Stamina 1, Agility 1, Dexterity 2, Fighting 8/4, Intellect 5, Awareness 2, Presence 0

Advantages
Accurate Attack, Improvised Tools, Inventor, Personal Laboratory 3, Ranged Attack 2, Ranged Attack 4, Second Chance: Technology Checks

Skills
Close Combat: Unarmed 4 (+12), Expertise: Business 5 (+10), Expertise: Engineering 5 (+10), Expertise: Science 5 (+10), Insight 4 (+6), Intimidation 8 (+12/+8), Perception 3 (+13/+5), Persuasion 4 (+4), Technology 8 (+13)

Powers
The Whip Suit (Removable)
Armor: Protection 11 (+11 Toughness)
Battle Computer: Enhanced Trait 18 (Traits: Dodge +2 (+8), Fighting +4 (+8), Perception +8 (+13), Intimidation +4 (+12), Advantages: Ranged Attack 2)
Communications Suite: Radio Communication 2
Proton Tethers
Manipulative Tethers: Move Object 12 (100 tons; Diminished Range 3)
Tether Movement
Movement: Movement 2 (Linked; Safe Fall, Swinging)
Speed: Speed 6 (Linked; Speed: 120 miles/hour, 1800 feet/round)
Tether Launch: Leaping 7 (Linked; Leap 900 feet at 250 miles/hour; Custom: Needs high place to slingshot from)
Tether Slashes: Damage 12 (DC 27; Increased Range: ranged, Indirect 3: any point in fixed direction or fixed point in any direction; Diminished Range 3)
Sealed Systems: Immunity 10 (Life Support)
Sensor Suite: Senses 12 (Accurate: Radio, Distance Sense, Extended: Radio 3: x1k, Extended: Hearing 1: x10, Infravision, Radio, Radius: Radio, Time Sense, Ultra-hearing)

Offense
Initiative +1
Grab, +8 (DC Spec 11)
Manipulative Tethers: Move Object 12, +8 (DC 22)
Tether Slashes: Damage 12, +8 (DC 27)
Throw, +8 (DC 16)
Unarmed, +12 (DC 16)

Complications
Enemy: Whipsmart/Flogging Molly has made enemies with several human trafficking rings and drug cartels.
Identity: Millicent "Molly" Zelda Oritz
Motivation: Justice: Molly fights to protect others from suffering as she and her sister had.

Languages
Native Language

Defense
Dodge 8/6, Parry 8, Fortitude 6, Toughness 12, Will 8

Power Points
Abilities 32 + Powers 68 + Advantages 11 + Skills 23 (46 ranks) + Defenses 16 = 150

They took my face, but they couldn't take my spirit. I was a therapist, one of the best in Blackwater, and people came to me to salve the wounds on their souls. With the knowledge of the people I worked for, I was surprised that no one came after me sooner. You see, blackmail was as much a part of Blackwater's politics as anything else.

I tried to tell the bastards about doctor/patient confidentiality, but it wasn't like they were going to listen. The thugs just took a glass vase and smashed it into my face until there wasn't anything left. I had passed out half way through the beating, and when I woke up, the doctors told me that there was nothing that they could do for me. They'd sewn what they could back together, contained the bleeding, but the only way that I could ever show my face in public was if I were to get a job as the bride of Frankenstein.

They took my face, but they couldn't take my spirit. The cops didn't give a damn about who attacked me. The mayor and the police chief had been my patients, and they distanced themselves from the scarred freakshow I'd been reduced to. I sat in my apartment for a month, not wanting to see daylight.

That's when my sister, the black sheep of the family came by. She gave me a pep talk, trying to cheer me up. It was the first time we'd spoken since father had disowned her. Everything was going fine until the shopping bag she carried had been kicked over. Out rolled some of her stupid dominatrix gear. I was insensed, and stormed out into the night, fuming over how careless my sister could be. It was dark enough that people couldn't see the horror hidden under my mop of hair. I walked for an hour, then came back to an apartment that looked like a slaughterhouse.

They took my sister, but they couldn't take my spirit. She'd answered the door, and they must have thought she was me, putting a shotgun blast through the peephole. She had come to make me feel loved, and the last thing I'd done was complain about her "day job" smacking people around with a whip. She was also a good student of behavioral sciences, and turned it into a cathartic and profitable career, helping people with esteem issues go safely into the darkness of their spirits.

She'd come to heal me. Instead, she gave me a new face, and a weapon with which I could make them pay for what they'd done.

I'm Molly Zelda-Oritz, disfigured psychological therapist, the sister of a murdered woman, and an avenger of injustice. I've found new sisters, otherwise shunned by the world because we're different, but unbroken by bitterness. We're a new family, the Nightmare Angels.

Dragonforce, the mistress of ghostly dragons.
Lovehammer, an eight-foot tall ogress in a world she never made.
Le Tigre, more animal than woman, but also the most accepting of us all.
Donna "Dropkick" Murphy, an Iraqi war vet with experimental bionic legs.
And me.
Flogging Molly.

It's time for injustice to face the music.

:arrow: A theme team of women outcasts just rose from the image of Flogging Molly. And they had to be good, because I have a soft spot in my heart for "damaged women."
Just call me Doug.
Jabroniville

Re: The New Nook! Long Stride, Lovehammer, Whipsmart

Post by Jabroniville »

Lovehammer is interesting. I'm proud that my build of Monstress from five years ago can inspire thoughts on such a character :). I get the impression she's also part Thor, given the lightning stuff and the hammer.

So is she supposed to be ugly, or be "cute girl with monster fangs"? Artists very rarely draw ugly women unless by accident :).

I like Whipsmart's backstory, and the band-theming of her group.
Skaramine

Post by Skaramine »

Her nose is more pig/orc like, and her tusks are a bit bigger.

The "Thor" but was just me having the points for a wand in the summer's handle to throw offensive spells.
Just call me Doug.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

I LOVE the Dropkick Murphy and Flogging Molly music references in your heroic Ladies.... :lol: