[No spoilers] Avengers: Infinity War part 1

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
danelsan

[No spoilers] Avengers: Infinity War part 1

Post by danelsan »

Holy SHIT, people! :shock:

I'll say that so far Infinity War does feel like an appropriate culmination of all these years of buildup over a ton of movies.

It is not an artsy masterpiece of cinema, of course, nobody should expect that. But it is a tremendous, epic action blockbuster that in my opinion lives up to the hype. Sure, I have some criticisms here and there, but over all I was pretty freaking well entertained, that's for sure!

For such a ridiculously large cast I think they handled it well (the movie being super long helped give some space in the limelight for everyone, too), the action scenes were appropriately epic, and the movie succeeded, in my opinion, in being comedic in an entertaining way in many moments, without losing the proper "weight" of some really crushing scenes.

Thanos did not let down as a formidable villain, and even gets some decent characterization (speaking of criticism, his "lieutenants" could have used some).

Also, about all the speculation regarding heroes' deaths during this movie, I'll just say I doubt anyone will turn out to have predicted it exactly.

Once some time passes and most have had the chance to watch it, I'll probably start another thread so we can get into spoileriffic discussion.
Batgirl III

Re: [No spoilers] Avengers: Infinity War part 1

Post by Batgirl III »

Was there a good balance between “acting scenes” and “action scenes”?

A trend that I have come to loathe in many modern films is that they are 90% action sequence, 7% fan service boobies, and 3% actual acting. Star Trek Into Darkness being a Platonic Ideal the sort of movie I’m talking about.

The MCU has avoided this, by and large, but I’m always on a knife’s edge that the next film will be the one to @&#% it up.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Well, that was an interesting cinematic experience.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
danelsan

Post by danelsan »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:16 am Was there a good balance between “acting scenes” and “action scenes”?

A trend that I have come to loathe in many modern films is that they are 90% action sequence, 7% fan service boobies, and 3% actual acting. Star Trek Into Darkness being a Platonic Ideal the sort of movie I’m talking about.

The MCU has avoided this, by and large, but I’m always on a knife’s edge that the next film will be the one to @&#% it up.
Never watched Into Darkness so I can't compare, but in my opinion the acting/action balance was good on Infinity War (really, for an action movie with a gigantic cast that each needs their own moments to be a badass, I guess it was well above average on acting).

I mean, there is a lot of fighting, but since all the previous movies have largely taken care of the characterization of all the heroes and supporting cast, that still left a lot of movie-time remaining for interesting character interactions, which has allowed a good amount of acting to take place.

As far as I recall, there wasn't any blatant "for the boobies" scene.

I'd say that, on the acting front, Josh Brolin, Elizabeth Olson and Tom Holland are the highlights. Danai Gurira might have been too, if she had more screen time (or maybe I just became too much of an Okoye fan). Also, Chris Hemsworth does "hiding sorrow behind forced humor" pretty decently. Plus, I don't think anyone did a bad job on the acting. Most of these people have been playing the same character for years, so it is to be expected that they can portray said characters pretty well, but I have nothing disastrous to say of the newer ones either.
Doc chaos

Post by Doc chaos »

"Sugary rodent"! :lol: No spoilers!
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

danelsan wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:02 am As far as I recall, there wasn't any blatant "for the boobies" scene.
Was there at least a non-blatant one? Um... Asking for a friend. ;)
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

I just came back from the theater and it was really something. I'm not sure if it's an apt description, but this movie really gave me the same feel I got from when I read my first company-wide crossover over 25 years ago. I loved how all the bits and pieces clicked into place.
Last edited by Woodclaw on Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:37 pm
danelsan wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:02 am As far as I recall, there wasn't any blatant "for the boobies" scene.
Was there at least a non-blatant one? Um... Asking for a friend. ;)
Well, Groot and Hulk were shirtless, but other than that...

And man, I can't believe Pip the Troll and Howard the Duck saved the whole universe! :shock:

Oops, this was supposed to be spoiler free... ;)

I thought it was great. Gonna need to see it again to truly digest it. Some of the characters suffer from the massive roster and from everything going on but I think the Russo brothers handled things wonderfully overall. The CGI was much better than Black Panther, which was my biggest complaint about that movie. Thanos was epic, both as an overall character and a CGI marvel. We've come a long way since Ang Lee's Hulk, for sure.

Overall, it was a great payoff for 10 years of world building. I just can't believe that end credits scene with the Wrecking Crew...

Hey, I can dream can't I?!?!?!?
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

I'm sad that i can't watch it till i get my paycheck next week.......course,i don't mind spoilers so if anyone wants to tell me what happens they can pm me! :D
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

MacynSnow wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:17 pm I'm sad that i can't watch it till i get my paycheck next week.......course,i don't mind spoilers so if anyone wants to tell me what happens they can pm me! :D
To each their own, but I would fight the spoiler urge. I would also fight the "THIS IS GOING TO BE THE GREATEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME!!!" hype, too.

There are some great moments that really hit if you don't know they're coming. And it's a really good movie, but it's not the end all be all that some people have built it up to be. It's like a comic crossover event, which we should all be used to. Lots of characters get a chance to shine, but it's really a Thanos story. It's almost more of an event than a movie so it's hard to compare it to other movies, except for the original Avengers, which made me feel similarly at first.

I will give one spoiler: With Robert Downey Jr. and Benedict Cumberbatch sharing a good amount of screen time, and both of them being Sherlock Holmes, no one said "no sh*t, Sherlock" at any point. Wasted opportunity in my book. 8-)
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:22 am
MacynSnow wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:17 pm I'm sad that i can't watch it till i get my paycheck next week.......course,i don't mind spoilers so if anyone wants to tell me what happens they can pm me! :D
To each their own, but I would fight the spoiler urge. I would also fight the "THIS IS GOING TO BE THE GREATEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME!!!" hype, too.

There are some great moments that really hit if you don't know they're coming. And it's a really good movie, but it's not the end all be all that some people have built it up to be. It's like a comic crossover event, which we should all be used to. Lots of characters get a chance to shine, but it's really a Thanos story. It's almost more of an event than a movie so it's hard to compare it to other movies, except for the original Avengers, which made me feel similarly at first.

I will give one spoiler: With Robert Downey Jr. and Benedict Cumberbatch sharing a good amount of screen time, and both of them being Sherlock Holmes, no one said "no sh*t, Sherlock" at any point. Wasted opportunity in my book. 8-)
I'll lay Dollars to Dounuts that there's not only an easter egg in there about it(one of Doyle's books could be seen somewhere near RDJ or Benedict,or something equally hard to catch the first time),but also a verbal reference...

As for my thing about spoilers:I'm one of those people that'll read the last few pages of a mystery story to see who did it and why,then start reading from page 1 to see how they got there.....I know,i'm a wiredo. 8-)
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:22 am I will give one spoiler: With Robert Downey Jr. and Benedict Cumberbatch sharing a good amount of screen time, and both of them being Sherlock Holmes, no one said "no sh*t, Sherlock" at any point. Wasted opportunity in my book. 8-)
Well, in Black Panther when Andy Serkis and Martin Freeman shared the scene nobody said anything like "let's play riddles", so I think that they're trying to avoid this kind of things.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

They’re saving that for the sequel when Everett Ross needs to steal a magic ring from Ulysses Klaw in order to drive Dr. Strange off of Wundergore Mountain (with help from Magneto).
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I just left the theater. Holy epic crossover, Batman!

I think most of us geeks are familiar with the original Infinity Gauntlet crisis crossover comic of yesteryear, so no doubt we nerds all saw the major story beats coming. But, holy hell, the “normies” I was in the show with absolutely did not. I swear on my favorite batarang, there were audible gasps and a couple of younger kids were screaming with fear/sorrow. It’s going to be very hard for anything to top this film for sheer epic shock value.

As to my worry about the right balance between “action” and “acting,” this film nailed it. Possibly better than even some other MCU films.

Five outta five. A+++. Would *biff!* *bam!* *pow!* again!
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

End of Disc 1.

Please Insert Disc 2 To Continue.

That’s really all I can say of this movie.
Last edited by Voltron64 on Fri May 04, 2018 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.