World of Freedom 3.2 - Whatever Comes To Mind

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Davies

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - The Voskhone Fighting Ring!

Post by Davies »

Author's Note: Inspired by Jab's LSH builds, this is both a character present as a member of the Freedom Legion in the year 2525 -- If anyone posts lyrics to the rest of that song in response to that, I may do something drastic. Ahem. -- and also a demonstration of how I might redesign Karate Kid to be a bit less Silver Age.

Xianxia

After the Shamballah Temple was reclaimed in 2138 by the forces of the Army of Light, Southeast Asian Division, the commanders of same were relieved to discover that most of the sacred texts and artifacts contained within had not been defiled or destroyed by the temple's occupiers over the previous century. As a result, while Shamballah no longer enjoyed the unbroken tradition of martial excellence it had before its conquest, it was able to return to prominence once more. Students from all over the world came to study there, and within a century it was almost like the occupation had never occurred at all -- except for slightly more rigorous background checks undertaken of all prospective students, to prevent a second Golden Leopard.

One such student, in the early years of the Twenty-sixth century, was a North American youth named Mighael Wuzen, whose family claimed descent from one of the masters of the Temple before the conquest. This claim was viewed with polite skepticism by the masters of the temple, but Mighael was undaunted in his desire to study the martial arts there, and his documentation satisfied the masters if his family legend did not. He soon demonstrated that he was an able study who did not let his supposed connection to the school prevent him from understanding that he was at the very beginning of his journey, not the end.

In time, as he proved himself, he was given deeper instruction in the principles of internal energy and how it could lead to perfection of the body and immortality. He was thus allowed access to the library, and -- somewhat predictably -- his earliest requests were for the writings left behind by one Master Wu Tuo-fa, his supposed ancestor, five hundred years before. He was genuinely surprised by the life story recounted in these texts. The man had been a criminal, of all things, before he'd finally achieved enlightenment and studied at the Temple just as Mighael was doing now. The texts contained no way to prove any connection between him and the Wuzen family, for his writings ended in 2018, the year of the conquest.

Despite this mild disappointment, Mighael found inspiration in his ancestor's accounts of his time with a group of 'superheroes' known as Project Freedom. Tuo-Fa's time with them had supposedly given him many opportunities to test his skills against mighty opponents, and he'd claimed to have grown in his mastery of his chosen style and as a person as a result. Mighael decided to follow in Tuo-Fa's footsteps, and sought and received permission to leave the Temple in order to apply for membership with the Freedom Legion.

Mighael was accepted by the Legion, and made many friends there, though his insistence on getting every member of the team into what he considered good physical shape through what others considered to be training from hell ensured that he was never the most popular member of the team. He played a critical role in several of the Legion's most noteworthy battles in the late teens, frequently employing his internal energies in a variety of bewildering improvised techniques, each time finding some detail that he could have improved upon, to the amusement of his fellows. He also began a relationship with Una Hunt, the Nightstalker, which has lasted into the present, with occasional interruptions.

Perhaps Mighael's most noteworthy personal flaw is his tendency to lecture his opponents on the flaws of their combat techniques while he is engaged in defeating them. Generally this only annoys those opponents, but there have been instances where a foe has actually learned from the lecture and employed what they learned to devastating effect against him or another member of the Legion. Mighael finds this embarrassing, and has tried to stop ... to no particular avail. (He is also quite aware that many of the Legion's villains have this tendency to monologue, which adds to his mortification.)

In the immediate present of 2525, Mighael is on a long-term assignment as one of the bodyguards of the scholar Eason Tripitaka on his journey to the Galactic West, leaving him out of communication with his comrades on the Freedom Legion. He will hopefully return when this pilgrimage has reached its conclusion.

Xianxia -- PL 13

Abilities: STR 7/4 | STA 6/3 | AGL 9/6 | DEX 4 | FGT 16/13 | INT 2 | AWE 8/5 | PRE 1
Power: Cultivated Internal Essence (Variable 4), Sense Essence (Senses 2 [chi awareness [acute])
Advantages: Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, All-Out Attack, Assessment, Chokehold, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 3, Evasion 2, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Grab, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Instant Up, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Close, Concealment), Prone Fighting, Redirect, Seize Initiative, Skill Mastery (Acrobatics), Takedown, Trance, Uncanny Dodge, Weapon Break.
Skills: Acrobatics 10 (+16/+19), Athletics 8 (+12/+15), Close Combat: Unarmed 3 (+16/+19), Expertise: Philosophy 7 (+9), Insight 8 (+13/+16), Intimidation 8 (+9), Perception 8 (+13/+16), Stealth 8 (+14/+17).
Offense: Initiative +10/+21, Unarmed +16/+19 (Close Damage 4/7, Crit 19-20).
Defense: Dodge 16/13, Parry 16/13, Fortitude 14/11, Toughness 10/6|7/3, Will 12/9.
Totals: Abiltities 76 + Powers 30 + Advantages 29 + Skills 30 + Defenses 19 = 184 points
Complications: Pursuit of Excellence--Motivation. Asceticism. Lecturer.

Default: Enhanced Advantages 5 (Improved Initiative +2, Ranged Attack 3)*, Enhanced Agility 3*, Enhanced Awareness 3*, Enhanced Fighting 3*, Enhanced Stamina 3*, Enhanced Strength 3*, Impervious Toughness 5*
* All Limited, Not When Fatigued.
Last edited by Davies on Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Voltron64

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - Freedom Legion Members!

Post by Voltron64 »

You know Steel Wind never got his background posted...
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Voltron64 wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:18 am You know Steel Wind never got his background posted...
hey who knows if the man is still alive, and if his woman can survive?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What>? ypu left me an opening i could drive a space whale through :P
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Davies

Post by Davies »

Voltron64 wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:18 am You know Steel Wind never got his background posted...
I got about three-quarters of the way through it when I realized that I was talking more about the organizational culture that produced him than I was about him as a person. But I'll --
catsi563 wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:23 am hey who knows if the man is still alive, and if his woman can survive?
:evil:

-- do it when I feel like doing it.

Next Up: Devourer, or how I'd revise Matter Eater Lad.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Author's Note: Credit to Batgirl III for the post that inspired some of the elements of this design.

Devourer

Within a few years of the establishment of the Stellar Imperium, a plan was devised to create a species of super commandos who could be inserted on enemy planets, 'live off the land' regardless of its biochemistry, and wreak havoc on enemy supplies, all with nothing more than their invulnerable teeth and near toxic digestive systems. Several hundred of these eating machines were gengineered, but the Imperium was overthrown before they could be used in any conflicts, thus abandoning them to their own devices. Surprisingly, by the time the world on which they were created was recontacted in the late Twenty-third Century, the descendants of the commandos have developed into a species of peaceful philosophers who viewed the act of consuming a living being as absolutely abhorrent. (They had no particular taboo about eating the dead, regardless of species, however.)

The Ghulli, as they were named, joined the Confederation of Planets when it was founded and have been loyal members ever since. It would not be until the early 26th century that they were able to send a member to join the Freedom Legion, despite the fact that an average member of their species is as strong and tough as any unaugmented human being, and athletic Ghulli have won multiple medals in the Pan-Galactic Games. But when one of their best athletes was discovered to have a mutation -- atavistic senses of smell and taste that had been removed from their ancestors -- he was instantly recognized as the ideal candidate to represent their species among the galaxy's greatest heroes.

Nobody seemed to care whether that was what Heluz-tek Kui wanted to do with his life, but he managed to adjust. That seemed to have been something of a pattern for his life, actually, if his own account can be believed. Perhaps it shouldn't, since Kui claims to have been the first member of his species to discover the concept of 'sarcasm' as well as 'flavor'. And the former is probably not true. Probably. In any event, he was active in the field with the Legion for more than a decade, constantly complaining about how much of a hassle everything was and yet stolidly doing his duty nonetheless.

Kui also did much to improve Legion morale from the first day he joined the team, by taking a look at the team's cooking area and declaring it to be unworthy of the name 'kitchen', both in cleanliness and in its collection of cooking supplies. He took personal charge of the team's cooking, and everyone agreed that it was a great improvement over the formerly robot managed service. Every new member of the team found themselves quizzed about their personal food preferences and nutritional needs within their first day of membership, with the results invariably incorporated into a meal celebrating anniversaries of same. He often made a show of being completely unmoved by the compliments these gestures earned him, claiming that if they were all forced to be there (which they weren't) they might as well enjoy themselves on occasion.

Not long after Professor Danger was installed as the Legion's commanding officer, however, Kui was recalled to the Ghulli homeworld with the news that he was expected to now serve a term as a member of his species' priesthood. Complaining all the while about how he hated these obligations and only vaguely believed in the religion, he went anyway, fully expecting to be gone only a few years. To his genuine horror, he found himself singled out by the head of the religious hierarchy as the ideal candidate to replace her, as he had a breadth of familiarity with issues facing the Ghulli in the modern era that other members of the priesthood did not. While he has not yet risen into this pontifical seat, whether he will be able to get out of it remains to be seen.

Devourer -- PL 10

Abilities: STR 6 | STA 6 | AGL 7 | DEX 5 | FGT 8 | INT 2 | AWE 1 | PRE 1
Powers: Bite (Enhanced Advantage 1 [Weapon Break]; Penetrating 6 on Strength Damage; Quickness 6, Limited to eating), Corrosive Saliva (Linked Weaken Toughness 8 and Damage 8, Grab-Based), Digest Anything (Immunity 2 [poison, starvation & thirst]), Hound's Nose (Senses 5 (acute analytical olfactory, tracking scent), Unbreakable Bones (Immunity 20 [bludgeoning damage], Limited to half effect]; Impervious Toughness 6)
Advantages: Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Daze (Intimidation), Defensive Attack, Diehard, Great Endurance, Power Attack, Skill Mastery (Athletics), Startle, Weapon Break
Skills: Acrobatics 8 (+15), Athletics 12 (+18), Close Combat: Bite 6 (+14), Close Combat: Unarmed 4 (+12), Expertise: Cooking 6 (+8), Insight 8 (+9), Intimidation 8 (+9), Investigation 4 (+6), Perception 8 (+9), Stealth 6 (+13), Vehicles 6 (+11).
Offense: Initiative +7, Unarmed +12 (Close Damage 6), Bite +14 (Close Damage 6, Penetrating).
Defense: Dodge 12, Parry 14, Fortitude 13, Toughness 6, Will 7.
Totals: Abilities 72 + Powers 34 + Advantages 9 + Skills 38 + Defenses 24 = 177 points
Complications: Responsibility--Motivation. Frightening Appearance. Sarcastic Beyond Imagination.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Next: The Infinite Girl.
Skaramine

Post by Skaramine »

Matter Eater Lad, made groovy!
The ATT member formerly known as both MorningKnight and Power-Glove.
Just call me Doug.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Author's Note: We interrupt your regularly scheduled trip forward to the 26th century for a trip sideways and a bit diagonally to the world of Verecia, to cover a character who was mentioned but not hitherto detailed. Don't you just love words like hitherto? I'm probably not even using it right. Anyway. In further celebration of finally getting through to Act 3 of Dragon Age II ...

Ser Maximus

Maximus of Mameris is the sinister mastermind of all of Emeraldias' troubles. He began conniving his way into power fifteen years ago, as one who presented himself as nothing more than a crafter of enchanted trinkets at the court of Prince Rikarbo of lamented memory. Within only a few months he had established himself as an advisor to the Prince, and soon Chief Advisor! Scarcely two years had passed by the time he rose to that level of influence before he was asked to wed the Prince's widowed sister! What scheming must have transpired at his hands, even before the so suspicious death of the Prince, which catapulted him into the regency, allowing him free reign over Emeraldias, aided ever by his many henchmen! Though his plots were put in check by the rise of Princess Jessika, he surely seeks to reverse that turn of fortune, putting an end to her heroic stand!

Actually no.

Let's back up a bit. Maximus was born in Freedom's Reach, and this fact alone would probably condemn him in the eyes of many Emeraldians, who are (thanks to Azure Throne propaganda) firmly convinced that Reachers are madmen bent on seeing the world burn. The fact that he was exiled from Freedom's Reach, thanks to a brief period when he used artifacts he'd discovered to fight the young Lord Thunder, would actually go a ways towards improving the already abysmal public opinion of him. Though annoyed by the Arcane Congress' declaration that he knew no secrets of their arts that the Azure Throne did not already possess, he nevertheless sought his fortunes in the eastern lands.

He made his way to Emeraldias, and chanced to arrive in the city at almost the right time to offer his skills as an alchemist to the Prince's army, producing a laxative that relieved them from an illness cast upon them by some enemy of the city. For this he was made an advisor to the Prince. Through genuinely helpful advice and the occasional bit of magic, he soon became the most esteemed of the Prince's advisors, and was made their chief. Lacking ties to the various noble houses of the city, he was selected by the Prince as the most ideal candidate to wed his sister following her husband's untimely death, thus depriving those houses of influence that they sought. He was also made Lord of Mameris, a town not far from Emeraldias' walls.

He had nothing to do with the Prince's death, which was simply the misfortunes of war, or the madness of his master's widow. He accepted the regency to prevent civil war from breaking out, and began negotiating alliances that undermined the strength of the noble families so that there would still be a city state when his temporary rule was over. He fully intended to hand over power to Princess Jessika after she married an appropriate candidate. In the meanwhile, he did the best he could to hold matters together, and if he occasionally paid himself well out of city coffers for doing so, it was compensation for some genuinely difficult work.

He was aware that some of his allies were not as reputable as he might have wished. If and when he discovered any misdeeds committed by them in his name, he was quick to censure them and order them to correct their behavior in the future. He did not seriously consider the possibility that the behavior they would try to correct was their tendency to have their misdeeds discovered by the regent, and Emeraldias suffered as a consequence. This fact he put down to simple unluckiness, or difficult and unavoidable times.

When Princess Jessika at last rose up and declared her intention to rule -- alone, thank you very much -- Maximus was hurt, rather than angered. He promptly decamped to Mameris with his wife and step-daughter, and a few followers -- all right, quite a few followers -- and waited for the arrogant woman-child to realize how desperately she needed the help of a capable counselor like himself. That was two years ago, and the likelihood that the Princess will never, ever, ever, ever seek his assistance has long since dawned on him.

As is the fact that those whom the Princess and her clique view as his cronies have never actually stopped doing the things that he told them to stop doing, as he has occasionally received letters from them which appear to be more or less boasts of going even further to punish Jessika for her uprising. That is not even remotely what he wanted, and yet he no longer has any authority to tell these people to do or not to do anything. Essentially, he knows quite a bit about the internal troubles facing Emeraldias, but is helpless to resolve them.

Of course, things could change. If noble heroes from Emeraldias were to seek him out and accuse him of some vile crime, he would of course maintain his innocence ... and if, in the process, he happened to drop references to certain other matters in the spirited conversation that followed, well, he's getting on in years and his mind must surely be going, now. Of course, the possibility that they, or his 'cronies', might just try to kill him does vex him a little ...

Really, what Maximus wants is to be back as Chief Advisor once more, it was really the happiest time of his life. He'd also like to see his step-daughter married well, and for his wife to find a handsome lover so she won't bother him quite so much. That's not too much to ask, is it?

Maximus -- PL 6

Abilities: STR 0 | STA 1 | AGL 0 | DEX 1 | FGT 2 | INT 6 | AWE 3 | PRE 3
Powers: Amulet of Protection (Protection 2, Subtle; Removable), Consumes Potions For Breakfast Everyday (Immunity 3 [aging, disease, poison]), Quicksilver Wits (Quickness 4, Limited to mental tasks), Wand (Ranged Damage 5, Accurate 2; Easily Removable).
Advantages: Artificer, Benefit 4 (Wealth), Contacts, Daze (Deception), Equipment 1 (knife, signet ring), Well-Informed.
Skills: Deception 9 (+12), Expertise: Magic 10 (+16), Expertise: Politics 8 (+14), Insight 10 (+13), Investigation 6 (+12), Persuasion 9 (+12).
Offense: Initiative +0, Unarmed +2 (Close Damage 0), Knife +2 (Close Damage 1), Wand +5 (Ranged Damage 5).
Defense: Dodge 3, Parry 3, Fortitude 3, Toughness 3/1, Will 9.
Totals: Abilities 32 + Powers 14 + Advantages 9 + Skills 26 + Defense 12 = 93
Complication: Ambition--Motivation. Power Loss (Wand has limited number of charges). Reputation. Responsibility (wife and step-daughter) Secret (actually a pretty nice guy).
Davies

Post by Davies »

The Infinite Girl

In its sixty year history, the Freedom Legion has suffered many losses. Deaths in action constitute the majority, unfortunately, as few of these starfaring heroes have lived long enough to enjoy a deserved retirement. Crippling injury or permanent loss of power account for many. There have been other cases, even before Elementress, of those who fell from the ideals that the Legion swears to uphold. And then there is the strange case of Sharon Excalibur, once known as the Rocket Musketeer, where even the best minds of the Legion admit they have no idea what is going on.

Her mother was a test tube and her father was a knife. Though her chromosones were no different than any naturally born human, the way in which she entered the universe determined that, on the planet of her birth, she would only be considered property, and not a person. This was the central fact of her early education, and never taught that things could ever be different, she accepted it. Even later in life, when she knew better, she never felt sorry for herself, but rather for the countless other artificial humans that drove the economy of this backwards world.

Sharon was a valuable property, for her cells contained a scientific magic trick designed by a great wizard -- as an act of will, she could summon two duplicates of herself out of the quantum foam of the universe. Just what the great wizard had intended for her to do with this trick didn't matter, for she passed quickly from his care to a man who saw her uses as those of a bodyguard. She was trained to fight, to protect, to give her life for her master if need be. Yet she was also given leisure time that few of her kind ever knew, and education beyond the needs of her tasks. Through her study of the way of fighting with the sword, she came to know the musketeers of Alexandre Dumas, and came to love them.

And in the nineteenth year of Sharon's life, her master came to view himself as being indebted to the Freedom Legion. He donated much of his wealth to the team in recognition of his debt, and went yet further. He gave them his most valuable possession, knowing that once Sharon was away from their world, she would become a person, as if by magic. Perhaps he felt more than just one debt. So she joined the Legion, and took the name the Rocket Musketeer for herself, as she -- they -- flew into battle wielding a sword, of all things, in a universe lit by laser fire.

For twelve years, she served with distinction, often placed in the role of a second-in-command to the Centurion himself, thanks to her training and analytical mindset. She made friends, and lovers, and enemies. In her quiet moments alone, with just the three of her present, she grew to realize that her duplicates, for all that they had her mind, were not her. There were subtle differences that were always present. It came to her that her duplicates were in some ways her property, which thought horrified her. She pledged to them, and they to her, that never would any of them ask the others to do something that they would not do themselves. "All for one and one for all," they whispered to each other.

Then the dark day came, when first the Freedom Legion and ConNav faced the SHADOW fleet in battle over a world -- one set aside for artificial humans, as it unhappily happened -- and realized that they would not be able to defeat the enemy before it succeeded in its dread purpose. Sharon was on the ground leading a desperate evacuation effort, her duplicates gathering as many people as could fit on the teleport pads as they could. The signal came through -- last load, all Legion personnel aboard that's going aboard. One of Sharon looked up, grieving that she could not gather more. One of Sharon looked up, grieving that she had to order her selves to abandon their efforts. One of Sharon refused to grieve and went out to rescue one more life --

-- and then the two who remained on the platform were gone from that world, and the beams of the dark ships above tore the planet and everything that was on it into tiny little pieces.

Sharon Excalibur was committed to an institution for the treatment of terrible traumas in 2515. Despite the wonders of medical and psychiatric care in the world of tomorrow, no one seriously believed that she would ever be released. A third of her had died, and the remaining two thirds would require constant care for the rest of their lives. It was this episode that made the Centurion first begin to consider the possibility of retirement, the likelihood that he needed to begin training the next generation for the fights that were to come.

Three years later, once Professor Danger was installed as the Legion's new field commander, she decided to pay a visit on all members of the Legion who had been sidelined by injury. The trip to the Rocket Musketeer's room was left to the last ... which apparently gave Sharon, who'd regained consciousness some time before, time enough to implement a very well developed plan of escape. She disappeared from Freedom City, from Earth, completely.

Not until just last year did anyone have any notion of where she might have gone, when she ran into Chiller and Metalla while they were on a mission in Rigel. She was polite and sat down with them to consume an energizing gourmet beverage, but refused to even discuss the notion of returning to Legion headquarters with them. "You don't have what I need," said Sharon. "I am training to become stronger, so that the next time we fight SHADOW, we'll finish them."

"But you don't have to do it alone, or with just your duplicate," Chiller assured her.

And then she smiled. "Who said anything about doing it alone?" many voices asked in perfect unison, as disguises were dropped and it became apparent that the dozens of members of the beverage shop's staff were all Sharon. "And now perhaps you should leave?"

It's impossible, of course -- the scientist who developed the means for her to summon her two duplicates never in his life managed to push his technology to do anything more than that. So there is no way that Sharon should be able to summon dozens, hundreds, or thousands of duplicates without apparent stress. For her own sake, as well as the possibility that she may cause great harm in her efforts to 'become stronger', the so-called Infinite Girl has become a most wanted bounty hunter target. This doesn't seem to bother her. Not much does -- notably, she is now completely willing to sacrifice her duplicates in order to achieve an objective. That this makes a mockery of the reasons all this happened has not, perhaps, been brought to her attention.

The Rocket Musketeer (2503-2515) -- PL 8

Abilities: STR 1 | STA 1 | AGL 4 | DEX 4 | FGT 10 | INT 1 | AWE 2 | PRE 4
Powers: Triplicator (Summon 8, Heroic, Horde, Mental Link, Multiple Minions 1)
Equipment: Jetpack (Flight 4), Monomolecular Rapier (Strength-based Damage 3, Improved Critical 2), commlink, wrist computer.
Advantages: Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Assessment, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 3, Equipment 3, Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Move By Action, Quick Draw, Redirect, Set-Up 2, Taunt, Teamwork, Uncanny Dodge, Weapon Bind.
Skills: Acrobatics 10 (+14), Athletics 9 (+10), Close Combat: Sword 2 (+12), Deception 12 (+16), Expertise: Singer 10 (+14), Insight 9 (+11), Perception 9 (+11), Stealth 10 (+11), Vehicles 7 (+11)
Offense: Initiative +8, Unarmed +10 (Close Damage 1), Sword +12 (Close Damage 4, Crit 18-20)
Defense: Dodge 10, Parry 11, Fortitude 5, Toughness 5/1, Will 7.
Totals: Abilities 42 + Powers 57 + Advantages 23 + Skills 39 + Defenses 16 = 177
Complications: Responsibility--Motivation. Flirt. Prejudice (bioroid).

"The Infinite Girl" (2518?-2525 and beyond) -- PL 10

Abilities: STR 2 | STA 2 | AGL 5 | DEX 5 | FGT 12 | INT 1 | AWE 4 | PRE 7
Powers: Infinite (Summon X, Continuous, Heroic, Horde, Mental Link, Multiple Minions X, Sacrifice)
Equipment: Jetpack (Flight 4), Monomolecular Rapier (Strength-based Damage 3, Improved Critical 2), commlink, wrist computer.
Advantages: Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Assessment, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 3, Equipment 3, Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative 2, Improved Trip, Move By Action, Quick Draw, Redirect, Set-Up X, Taunt, Teamwork, Uncanny Dodge, Weapon Bind.
Skills: Acrobatics 11 (+16), Athletics 10 (+12), Close Combat: Sword 3 (+15), Deception 13 (+20), Expertise: Singer 10 (+17), Insight 12 (+16), Perception 12 (+16), Stealth 11 (+16), Vehicles 8 (+13).
Offense: Initiative +12, Unarmed +12 (Close Damage 2), Sword +15 (Close Damage 5, Crit 18-20).
Defense: Dodge 13, Parry 14, Fortitude 9, Toughness 6/1, Will 11
Totals: Abilities 76 + Powers X + Advantages X + Skills 45 + Defenses 24 = X
Complications: Justice--Motivation. Answers Flirtation With Violence. Prejudice (bioroid).
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

That's pretty awesome.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Yojimbo wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:30 am That's pretty awesome.
Thanks!

Wonder if I should maybe piece together a Centurion 2525 article from the various bits at the ATT.

Vague idea: If Ultra Boy is Han Solo with super powers, then what if an ersatz-Ultra Boy was Rick Deckard with super powers?
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Davies wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:43 am Vague idea: If Ultra Boy is Han Solo with super powers, then what if an ersatz-Ultra Boy was Rick Deckard with super powers?
I am intrigued by your philosophy and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Fatalwa

The planet eventually dubbed New Bardai by its colonizers was first surveyed in 2489, and considering the dangers of the planet's two continents, both of which are 90% covered in jungle, it's a surprise that more of the scouts weren't lost. As it happened, only a single vessel, piloted by a husband and wife team, failed to report back. Unbeknownst to anyone, the pilots both survived, but their vessel was wrecked. They decided to set up a temporary camp and wait to be rescued. Within a year, they were joined by a son, who these days goes by the name of Ender Malloy.

Within a year of that, both parents were dead, and their child adopted by the gemmerae natives of the planet. Later stories would claim that he was actually raised by the non-sapient but highly social mausa 'rat-wolves'. All that Ender has to say about that idea is that it's entirely appropriate that the colonists would prefer to believe that the mausa would care for a human child, instead of eating one, before they'd consider the possibility that a gemmerae would do the same.

Conflict between the colonizers and the gemmerae began almost as soon as the former arrived, but in his youth, Ender was kept far away from all that nonsense. He lived as a gemmerae lived, ate as they ate, learned as they learned, and became as they became -- somehow gaining augmentations from the experience. He claims that anyone who followed that way of living would achieve the results that he did, and there's no proof that he's wrong. Regardless, in the fullness of time, Ender joined his brothers in fighting the invaders.

When the colonizers saw a human youth among the gemmerae, they leapt to the conclusion that he was a child kidnapped from one of their settlements, and promptly launched a rescue mission. This kidnapping attempt succeeded, and Ender was brought to the colonial capital, where their psychologists attempted to re-educate him. Their efforts were unsuccessful, and ultimately a telepath was hired to try and recover his lost memories. The truth of his origins thus became known, and the situation changed greatly.

Ender's existence galvanized the faction among the colonists who had come to believe that they had made a mistake in fighting the gemmerae, who proceeded to kidnap him from their own government and flee the planet, traveling through space back to Earth to reveal what was going on. Ender himself addressed the Grand Assembly, asking for assistance on behalf of the gemmerae. While the Confederation does not interfere in the politics of their member planets, they don't stand by while native populations are threatened, either, and so they sent a small task force, accompanied by members of the Freedom Legion, to bring about a peace settlement on New Bardai.

Once this was done, Ender was free to return to his adopted people. Yet he found that something was missing. The big one of his band nodded in understanding -- Ender had caught the star dream, as countless gemmerae before him had done. The good news was that in this generation, it would be possible for the star dream to be achieved, rather than being a burden that could only end in death. It was time for Ender to walk away.

So he did. Having been impressed by the Freedom Legion, and having impressed them in turn, he sought and received membership, taking his code name from the word for 'ghost' in the language of the colonizers. His ability to communicate with non-sapient animals did come in handy on missions, but less often than his strength, speed and fighting ability did.

In 2517, however, he arrived at Legion headquarters with a somber look on his face, and addressed his fellows, saying that, while he knew that they were all as sad as he was about what had happened to Enigma, it was important to keep going in her memory. It wasn't until he paused to dry his eyes that someone asked him what he was talking about. Following some confusion, it became clear that Ender had memories of having been a friend and lover of a female member of the Legion named Enigma, who had quite recently been killed in a mission. But no one matching his memories had ever been part of the Freedom Legion.

The group waited for the other shoe to drop, but nothing else happened -- no other members with altered memories, no reports of similar bewildering events in the news. Fatalwa remained convinced that what he remembered was real, and ultimately chose to go on reserve duty when the team counselor suggested that he have the false memories removed. He returned to the world of his birth, taking up a position as a game warden and keeping an eye on both sides of the peace agreement. He remains there to this day ...

Fatalwa -- PL 12

Abilities: STR 10 | STA 8 | AGL 6 | DEX 6 | FGT 12 | INT 1 | AWE 4 | PRE 1
Powers: Beastmastery (Linked Mental Communication 1 and Comprehend Animals 2), Keen Senses (Senses 6 [acute tracking scent, danger sense, extended hearing, low-light vision, ultra-hearing]), Mobility (Leaping 6; Movement 3 [safe fall, sure-footed, swinging]; Speed 3)
Advantages: Agile Feint, Chokehold, Diehard, Equipment, Favored Environment (jungle), Great Endurance, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Languages 3, Skill Mastery (Perception), Takedown, Tracking.
Skills: Acrobatics 9 (+15), Athletics 8 (+18), Insight 4 (+8), Perception 13 (+17), Technology 6 (+7), Vehicles 8 (+14).
Offense: Initiative +10, Unarmed +12 (Close Damage 10), Spear +12 (Close Damage 12).
Defense: Dodge 12, Parry 14, Fortitude 11, Toughness 8, Will 8.
Totals: Abilities 96 + Powers 30 + Advantages 15 + Skills 24 + Defense 15 = 180 points
Complications: Responsibility--Motivation. Temper. False Memories--Or Are They?
Davies

Post by Davies »

Enforcer

The variety of inhabited worlds that make up the Confederation of Planets cannot be understated. Between the sheer breadth of forms that worlds can be shaped into, both by nature and technological nurture, and the Confederation's determination to let its members all go to hell in their own way, one can find idyllic garden planets and miserable cyberpunk dystopias. Rasegan, a planet whose economy went bust after the space whale hunt was declared illegal, is a miserable cyberpunk dystopia. But it was the only homeworld that Roy Barry ever knew.

After completing his education and a brief tour of duty with the security forces, Roy went into business for himself as a private investigator. It was, of course, exactly as glamorous as a vanishingly small percentage of vids over the previous five hundred years made it out to be. He did a lot of divorce work, credit investigations, the occasional missing person who almost never wanted to be found, and -- it should be said here that this is not something he's proud of, and never took pleasure in, but a job is a job, right? -- had a rather profitable sideline hunting down runaway synthetics and retiring them.

It was on one such job that he discovered the artifact. The traget of his hunt attempted to use the metal sphere as a weapon against him, and it didn't go too well for her. Mildly curious about the widget, he picked it up and read aloud the label in archaic English: "SaneTech Enforcer Start Up". It emitted this hologram of a white-haired man with a serious smirk congratulating Roy -- still in archaic English -- for his perspicacity in choosing the SaneTech Enforcer for his power augmentation requirements. Things became very confusing at that point. And somewhat painful.

Once the light show was all over, Roy took a moment to take stock of what had been to himself. His skeleton now emitted a force field that protected him at all times, and that he could enhance at will to produce a variety of offensive, defensive, and exploratory effects. There was just one slight flaw in the system -- it had to be used fairly regularly, like at least once an hour, or it would start to build up a "tumor' of unused power that would make him explode after about a day. He was assured that SaneTech was working to correct this flaw, which would have been helpful if the message hadn't dated from sometime in the Twenty-first century and he'd ever heard of SaneTech before this.

This was a disaster. He now had super powers that he was obligated to use, and, thanks to his time with the security forces and on the streets, knew exactly how much trouble he'd be making for himself if he tried to be some sort of superhero. The secs wouldn't care that he was fighting crime; if you weren't sec, you were nothing. Going to work for one of the korps would just turn into a life as a lab rat as they tried to figure out how to reverse engineer the process. The planetary government was firmly in the korps' collective pocket, so there was no way out there.

So Roy took his life savings, spent half of them on a ticket off-world, the rest on bribes to get him through starport security, and hoped to find some quiet planet where he could use these powers in a way that wouldn't attract any attention and live out the rest of his life in peace. And then terrorists took over the ship just as he was leaving, and Roy reflexively used his powers to overcome them so that the ship could get on its way, failing to consider that he was going to be attracting attention by doing this.

When the media demanded to know more about the hero of the hour, Roy froze. From somewhere in his subconscious, he came up with a story that sounded vaguely plausible -- he was just a normal Raseganner with powers from who knew where who had decided to try out for the Freedom Legion to show the universe that Rasegan wasn't just some hellhole. They ate it up, and a recruiter from the Legion showed up the next day to accompany him to Earth to see if they could make use of his talents.

Roy was confident that he couldn't do anything that other members of the Freedom Legion could already do, and planned to take his dismissal with good grace, cadge a ticket for some beach planet out of them, and go and never be heard from again. When he was cheefully welcomed into the Legion's ranks, he somehow held himself back from demanding to know what the hell was wrong with them. (Had he done so, they'd have been happy to explain that they always welcomed law enforcement officers who developed powers, having entirely the wrong idea about his time with the secs.) Wearing a ridiculous outfit, he was inducted into the Legion as Enforcer, and decided to make the best of a bad situation.

He served without distinction, but was welcomed as a voice of caution among the otherwise optimistic members of the Legion. He avoided talking about his past as much as possible, particularly after he got to know the Rocket Musketeer. Though he never stopped thinking that they were all crazy, Roy eventually developed a certain affection for the rest of his teammates. Being around people who believed that they themselves and the universe were basically good was ... not bad.

When the existence of the Infinite Girl was discovered, Roy surprised himself by volunteering to lead a Legion taskforce tasked with hunting her down before more vicious bounty hunters could do so. He went so far as to finally admit what he'd done to make a living, only to find out that the senior members of the Legion were well aware of his past, and viewed it as irrelevant in comparison to the good work he'd done since. That had his jaw on the floor, but he got his task force, and leads it still.

Enforcer -- PL 10

Abilities: STR 14/2 | STA 3 | AGL 2 | DEX 3 | FGT 6 | INT 1 | AWE 2 | PRE 2
Powers: Subdermal Force Field (Protection 7, Subtle), Force Field Options (Array: Enhanced Strength 12, AP: Flight 12, AP: Ranged Damage 12, AP: Ranged Burst Area Damage 8, AP: Sustained Protection 4, Impervious 14 AND Sustained Immunity 6 [cold, critical hits, heat, pressure, radiation], AP: Remote Sensing 10 [visual] and Senses 4 [vision counters concealment, microscopic vision 2], AP: Impervious Create 8, AP: Insubstantial 4 AND Affects Corporeal on Strength)
Advantages: Contacts, Languages 2, Precise Attack (Ranged, Concealment), Quick Draw, Ranged Combat 3, Well-Informed.
Skills: Deception 4 (+6), Insight 6 (+8), Investigation 8 (+9), Perception 8 (+10), Persuasion 6 (+8), Ranged Combat: Force Field Beam 2 (+5), Sleight of Hand 4 (+7), Stealth 5 (+7), Technology 5 (+6), Vehicles 4 (+7).
Offense: Initiative +2, Unarmed +6 (Close Damage 14/2), Force Field Beam +8 (Ranged Damage 12), Force Field Burster -- (Ranged Burst Area Damage 8).
Defense: Dodge 5, Parry 6, Fortitude 8, Toughness 14/10, Will 7.
Totals: Abilities 42 + Powers 39 + Advantages 9 + Skills 25 + Defenses 13 = 128 points
Complications: Reluctant Heroism--Motivation. Weakness (after not using powers for an hour). Dark Secret.
Skaramine

Post by Skaramine »

Rick Deckard ersatz Ultra Boy success!
The ATT member formerly known as both MorningKnight and Power-Glove.
Just call me Doug.