Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Goldar

Re: Night Girl

Post by Goldar »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:11 am ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Good GRAVY some of these pics!!! And these are ACTUAL COSTUMES she wore!

NIGHT GIRL (Lydda Jath)
Created By:
Edmond Hamilton & John Forte
First Appearance: Adventure Comics #306 (March 1963)
Home Planet: Kathoon
Origin of Powers: Scientific Experiments by her father
Eras: All Three
Relationships: Cosmic Boy
Role: Surprisingly-Powerful Joke Hero
PL 12 (113)
STRENGTH
2/16 STAMINA 3/13 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+6)
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Space Hero) 4 (+5)
Insight 4 (+6)
Perception 4 (+6)
Persuasion 4 (+6)
Stealth 5 (+7)
Technology 3 (+4)
Vehicles 4 (+6)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Interpose, Ranged Attack 3, Teamwork

Powers:
"Night-Based Strength" (All Have Flaws: Only in Darkness/Nightfall)
Enhanced Strength 14 [14]
Enhanced Stamina 10 [10]
Protection 3 [1.5]
Impervious Toughness 10 [5]
Power-Lifting 6 (50,000 tons) [3]
Leaping 5 (250 feet) [2.5]

"Kathoonian Physiology"
Senses 2 (Darkvision) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
At Night +8 (+16 Damage, DC 31)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3 (+16 at Night), Fortitude +4 (+14 at Night), Will +5

Complications:
Power Loss (All Powers)- When hit by Ultraviolet Radiation, Night Girl's powers turn off.
Relationship (Cosmic Boy)

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 36 / Defenses: 9 (115)

-Night Girl's a funny one- she starts out in the '60s being rejected because her Superman-Class super-strength is ONLY AVAILABLE TO HER AT NIGHT. Yes, they actually TURNED DOWN someone at Kryptonian level. I would think someone who can lift an aircraft carrier over their head would get a pass no matter WHAT her limitations were, never mind the fact that you have the greatest genius in comics on the same team as her, but oh well, I'm not a futuristic super-hero. So she became one of the few Legion of Substitute Hero members who was any good in a fight, and had a relationship with Cosmic Boy for a long time.

-Night Girl comes from a world enveloped in perpetual darkness, and was given powers by her father, and was a founding member of the Substitute Heroes, being probably the least-silly of the group. Hell, she even wore the trademark "Nude Legion" garb of the early '70s, back when the rest of her team deliberately dressed as goofily as possible! Gaining skills in the martial arts, she finally hooked up with her crush- Cosmic Boy (the reason she left Kathoon in the first place). She and Cos finally settled down and married in the "Five Years Later" era, having a son named Pol (named for The Magnetic Kid, who had died by that point).

-Lydda actually appeared in the "Reboot" era a couple of times, joining a new Substitute Heroes band, but this group never got much focus. In "Threeboot", she was made a member of the Legion Reserves. The Post-Infinite Crisis era revealed that she & Cosmic Boy had never settled down- him giving up a personal life so that the Legion's co-founders, Saturn Girl & Lightning Lad, could have theirs.

-Me, I mainly remember her for A) the GREAT beehive hairdo, which is one of the most dated haircuts on the team, and probably the dated 'do that lasted the longest; and B) HOLY CRAP THAT OUTFIT!!! The "Nude Legion" was infamous for its fanservice, but Lydda made SHADOW LASS look like Dust of the X-Men! I mean, most of the girls were baring flesh back in the day, but at least Phantom Girl & Shrinking Violet still looked like they were in super-hero costumes! Lydda was basically wearing a STRAP BIKINI and nothing else. And it was glorious.

-Night Girl's ridiculously-high power levels are balanced by her limitations, but she's a PL 12 Flying Brick, who comes up quite a ways short on points. She's a devastating fighter (and apparently very good at martial arts, to balance out her weakness), but VERY limited in a campaign, but very cost-effective for clever players (say, toss her in with Color Kid or a guy with Night-based powers, or even Shadow Lass), since she's getting Superman-class strength at half-price.
How nice! A Birthday gift for me on my Birthday! One of my favorite gals, too! Thank you, Jab!
HalloweenJack

Re: Jab's Builds! (Timber Wolf! Cosmic Boy! Kid Quantum! Karate Kid!

Post by HalloweenJack »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:02 am I had to watch the movie twice to notice Kelly Preston, she shares most of her scenes with Snake Plissken.
I thought that was ol' Jack Burton
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:17 pm
L-Space wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:51 pm
Ares wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:49 pm Yeah, it's one of those things where his power isn't great for a superhero, but could you imagine what he could do for farmers? Or helping people grow vegetables in impoverished areas? Or like Woodclaw mentioned, disaster relieve areas? Just toss some apple seeds on the ground and BAM, instant orchard with enough food for all of the refuges.

It's just that being a superhero is flashy, cool and gets you girls. So it makes sense for a kid to want to do that over going help grow food in a desert.
Between all of these superhero teams or uber rich heroes, you would think one of them would set up an organization based off of getting the non-combat powers used to help people in other ways. Like you said, it's not as flashy as regular superheroics, but still you'd think it's something that would at least be mentioned more in superhero stories.
That point about the greater good has always been something I've really worked to just not think about, lest it hinder my comic enjoying experience. Lex Luthor, Reed Richards, Victor Von Doom, Tony Stark, Bruce Wayne and other geniuses could easily sit down, figure out cures for cancer, the energy issues, world hunger, etc. with the skills they've used to come up with gadgets to fight each other with all these years. But having Alex Ross paint panel after panel of Mr. Fantastic testing Negative Zone energy's impact on cancer cells or the current heroic Dr. Doom negotiating the usage of a terraformer in Nigeria with its leaders isn't going to sell comics.
It's easy to explain, handwave or even allow for those kind of tropes. For one, Lex Luthor and Dr. Doom would never go in for that sort of thing, barring the brief heel/face turns. One thing that pissed people off about Huldin's Black Panther, the idea that they had a cure for cancer and never shared it, is something I could see Doom or Luthor doing. Doom would reserve it only for the people under his rule, Lex would make it into something that allows the person to live but will require a life time of treatements to keep the cancer at bay, using it as a constant source of revenue rather than a one-shot treatment.

Meanwhile you can explain a lot of other things as simply being difficult to solve or the solutions are expensive or impractical. Reed Richards might not really be able to cure cancer, since his expertise and interests are in space / dimensional travel and exploration. He might not have the slightest idea of how to cure said cancer. Likewise, solutions for energy problems might be too expensive, or might have harmful side-effects. Like, maybe an ARC reactor that actually works will produce harmful radiation if its made too big or too close to many other ones. Tony's works because it's relatively small and contained inside a suit of power armor.

And of course, you can always just dedicate a panel or two to an issue of a comic once or twice a year about Hank Pym released a new bio-therapy treatment that cured certain forms of muscular dystrophy, or how Tony Stark has released a new engine that reduces pollutants by a over 90%, etc. It could even be used to explain where characters you don't see or want to see anymore have gone.

"Squirrel Girl? She's a park ranger now. She's apparently having a blast, being able to help people the way she wants to, and SHIELD no longer has to stage mock supervillain fights to make it seem like she's invincible."

"Chlorophyll King? He's helping this planet going through a food shortage grow some food. He's apparently happier than he's ever been, even got asked out be a nice guy there. "

"Doc Samson and Nightmask? They're working with America Chavez and Jane Foster. Apparently the ladies got dosed with Psycho-Man radiation and have been having really potent fever dreams for the last couple of years. Jane thought she was Thor and Chavez thought . . . a LOT of weird stuff. Thankfully, Samson and NM are finally helping them come back to reality."

"USAgent? He's been assigned to guard Riri Williams. Apparently she was institutionalized after her chronic psychopathy came to light and was revealed to be a danger to herself and others. Samson has been working with her too, but as of now, the Agent is making sure she doesn't hurt anyone."

"Keith Giffen? He died in a mysterious fire that also claimed the lives of Dan DiDio and Joe Quesada. And nothing of value was lost."
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:17 pm
L-Space wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:51 pm
Ares wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:49 pm Yeah, it's one of those things where his power isn't great for a superhero, but could you imagine what he could do for farmers? Or helping people grow vegetables in impoverished areas? Or like Woodclaw mentioned, disaster relieve areas? Just toss some apple seeds on the ground and BAM, instant orchard with enough food for all of the refuges.

It's just that being a superhero is flashy, cool and gets you girls. So it makes sense for a kid to want to do that over going help grow food in a desert.
Between all of these superhero teams or uber rich heroes, you would think one of them would set up an organization based off of getting the non-combat powers used to help people in other ways. Like you said, it's not as flashy as regular superheroics, but still you'd think it's something that would at least be mentioned more in superhero stories.
That point about the greater good has always been something I've really worked to just not think about, lest it hinder my comic enjoying experience. Lex Luthor, Reed Richards, Victor Von Doom, Tony Stark, Bruce Wayne and other geniuses could easily sit down, figure out cures for cancer, the energy issues, world hunger, etc. with the skills they've used to come up with gadgets to fight each other with all these years. But having Alex Ross paint panel after panel of Mr. Fantastic testing Negative Zone energy's impact on cancer cells or the current heroic Dr. Doom negotiating the usage of a terraformer in Nigeria with its leaders isn't going to sell comics.
Superheroes setting up 'help the world' organisations does happen, they just never last as we saw recently with Spider-Man and Parker industries. Maybe it's all just to much of a hassle for writers to keep on top of everything new and having a character go 'back to basics' makes the job easier for them.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

HalloweenJack wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:52 pm
Batgirl III wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:02 am I had to watch the movie twice to notice Kelly Preston, she shares most of her scenes with Snake Plissken.
"You just listen to the old Idol of Millions here now and take his advice on a dark and stormy night when the lasers's flashin' and the missiles' flyin' and the robots'er coming down in sheets thick as lead. Just remember what old Commander does when the earth quakes, and the invading aliens fall from the sky, and the fabric of existence shakes. Yeah, old Commander just looks that big old invsion right square in the eye and he says, 'Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it.' "
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Re: Night Girl

Post by Jabroniville »

Goldar wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:49 pm
How nice! A Birthday gift for me on my Birthday! One of my favorite gals, too! Thank you, Jab!
Well, what a coincidence! Glad I could bring out one of your "gals" for your birthday, Goldar! Hope you have a good one :).
Jabroniville

Porcupine Pete

Post by Jabroniville »

PORCUPINE PETE (Peter Dursin)-
Created By:
Carey Bates & Dave Cockrum
First Appearance: Superboy #201 (March 1974)
Home Planet: Earth
Origin of Powers: Mutation
Eras: Original only
Relationships: None
Role: Joke Hero
PL 5 (64)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+3)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 4 (+4)
Expertise (Space Hero) 2 (+2)
Insight 3 (+3)
Perception 3 (+3)
Persuasion 5 (+5)
Technology 3 (+3)

Advantages:
Teamwork

Powers:
"Quills" Damage 2 (Extras: Reaction +3) [8]
"Quill Blast" Damage 5 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Quirks: Full Power Always -1) [9]

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Quills +5 Area (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +2, Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
Reputation (Weak Hero)- Pete can barely control his power, and hits his teammates as often as his foes.

Total: Abilities: 22 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 17 / Defenses: 9 (64)

-One of the more minor Substitute Heroes members (yes, a MINOR member of THAT team), Pete was an Earthling who somehow got quill powers. Normally the kind of thing for a D-League Marvel villain to spout off about, but his lack of control made him pretty useless, and so onto the Subs he went. He probably got more play in that single LOSH cartoon episode than he did at any point in his comics career.

-Porcupine Pete is actually a bit more expensive than Fire Lad thanks to having an Area Damage power. It's pretty minor in scope (+5 Damage), and it's awfully difficult to use in a team situation (since it will always go full power and full distance all around him), but it still costs a pretty penny. Otherwise, he's your typical underskilled & Advantaged Subber.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon May 30, 2022 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Batgirl III

Re: Jab's Builds! (Karate Kid! Projectra! Legion of Substitute Heroes!)

Post by Batgirl III »

He’s still orders of magnitude better than the kid with the same powers in X-Men 3 who tried to intimidate Magneto with his porcupine spines. :roll:

That Ian McKellan was able to deliver even one take without uproariously laughing is proof that the man is one of the greatest living actors.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Ares wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:00 pm It's easy to explain, handwave or even allow for those kind of tropes. For one, Lex Luthor and Dr. Doom would never go in for that sort of thing, barring the brief heel/face turns. One thing that pissed people off about Huldin's Black Panther, the idea that they had a cure for cancer and never shared it, is something I could see Doom or Luthor doing. Doom would reserve it only for the people under his rule, Lex would make it into something that allows the person to live but will require a life time of treatements to keep the cancer at bay, using it as a constant source of revenue rather than a one-shot treatment.
Welcome to the American health care system. ;)

Back to the topic at hand, I love the Subs. The LOSH cartoon where Stone Boy had all those bad guys running past him and then saved the day by getting dropped on the villain was epic.
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Jabroniville

Infectious Lass

Post by Jabroniville »

My God in Heaven! That face! Those THIGHS!! I think I'm in love!

INFECTIOUS LASS (Drura Sehpt)
Created By:
Carey Bates & Dave Cockrum
First Appearance: Superboy #201 (March 1974)
Home Planet: Somahtur
Origin of Powers: Racial Abilities
Eras: Original, Threeboot
Relationships: Invisible Kid II (original), Captain Fear (Threeboot)
Role: Joke Hero
PL 9 (90)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Expertise (Space Hero) 2 (+2)
Perception 3 (+3)
Vehicles 1 (+3)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 3, Set-Up

Powers:
"Somahturian Pysiology"
"Micro-Organism Colony-Based Body" Immunity 2 (Disease, Poison) [2]

"Nauseating Illness" Affliction 9 (Fort; Dazed & Hindered/Stunned & Defenseless/Incapacitated) (Extras: Area- Scent Perception, Extra Condition, Contagious, Progressive +2) (Flaws: Uncontrolled) (45) -- [48]
  • AE: "Focused Nauseate" Affliction 9 (Fort; Dazed & Hindered/Stunned & Defenseless/Incapacitated) (Extras: Ranged, Extra Condition, Contagious, Progressive +2) (Flaws: Uncontrolled) (45)
  • AE: "Grandin Gender-Reversal Germs" Affliction 9 (Fort; Transformed to Opposite Gender) (Extras: Area- Scent Perception, Progressive +2) (Flaws: Uncontrolled, Limited to Final Degree) (18)
  • AE: "Lower Defenses" Weaken Stamina 6 (Extras: Area- Scent Perception, Contagious, Progressive +2) (Flaws: Uncontrolled) (24)
Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Focused Nauseate +5 (+9 Ranged Affliction, DC 19)
Nauseating Illness +9 Area (+9 Affliction, DC 19)
Lower Defenses +6 Area (+6 Weaken, DC 16)
Gender-Reversal Germs +9 Area (+9 Affliction, DC 19)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +2, Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
Reputation (Weak Hero)- Infectious Lass' famous lack of control is well-known to most, especially once people start randomly changing genders.
Accident (Making Others Sick)

Total: Abilities: 24 / Skills: 6--3 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 50 / Defenses: 9 (90)

-Oh, Infectious Lass, why must you taunt me so? You wouldn't think that a pale girl with small breasts, ANTENNAE, blue slime on her face and a costume that looks like it's covered in snot would set off my Fetish Alarms, but there you have it. Not to mention the fact that HER NAME IS INFECTIOUS LASS. Every part of that screams "do not let any part of you touch her". And yet I would. Coming in a little later in the Substitute Heroes era, poor Drura showed off her powers by making Star Boy sick, but unfortunately couldn't control it, and gave him way too strong a dose, and thus got rejected. Later adventures would pretty much show her occasionally giving the villain a cold, while accidentally doing the same to half her teammates. Or changing Color Kid's sex.

-In a "Five Years Later"-era story, she was shown married to Invisible Kid II, having thankfully moved on a bit as a character, but losing that cute shy girl persona that made her so endearing before. She was seen in the "Reboot" era applying for membership, but failing to make the cut- she was in the Legion Academy as a cadet, though. Then she was in some weird Doctor 13 series that screams of "I'm a writer who wants to do something WEIRD AND WACKY!", because she was written out of a "Threeboot" story featuring cameos by many Subbers, where she got thrown into the timestream. During this story, she fell in love with the deceased pirate known as Captain Fear.

-Infectious Lass, like many Subbers, actually has a REALLY devastating power-set if it lacked certain Flaws and limitations, and was built around a more solid competitor (Subbers are basically a bit above civilians without all their Powers). Area-Effecting Nauseate, a Weaken Stamina effect for worse Diseases (and I get to use Contagious! Nobody EVER has a Contagious power!), and the hilarious one-story "Gender-Reversal Germs" (the poor team leader's rant, about "one of my team members CHANGED HIS SEX this afternoon!", was hilarious), all with the Uncontrolled Flaw, just so the GM has total power over all of her abilities. A wildly fun and inventive concept, really, and one I was waiting to stat, hence why I left her till the very end.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon May 30, 2022 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

My God in Heaven! That face! Those THIGHS!! I think I'm in love!
Yes, indeed, Jacques is pretty cu... Oh, you meant Drura. ;)
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Ares wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:15 pm
"You just listen to the old Idol of Millions here now and take his advice on a dark and stormy night when the lasers's flashin' and the missiles' flyin' and the robots'er coming down in sheets thick as lead. Just remember what old Commander does when the earth quakes, and the invading aliens fall from the sky, and the fabric of existence shakes. Yeah, old Commander just looks that big old invsion right square in the eye and he says, 'Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it.' "

heh. one of the best party memories of when I was in college was right after I joined my fraternity and we were all getting ready to down some shots and one of my brothers does the old Wang Chi "Here's to the army and the navy and the battles they have won.." toast to which I immediately throw out "May the wings of liberty never lose a feather" and everybody busts out laughing and all OOOOOOOOOOOH.

It was nice to have found other people who love that movie like I do.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

HalloweenJack wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:05 pm

heh. one of the best party memories of when I was in college was right after I joined my fraternity and we were all getting ready to down some shots and one of my brothers does the old Wang Chi "Here's to the army and the navy and the battles they have won.." toast to which I immediately throw out "May the wings of liberty never lose a feather" and everybody busts out laughing and all OOOOOOOOOOOH.

It was nice to have found other people who love that movie like I do.
Wang-Chi:"A Man likes the feel of Nature on his face jack...."
Egg Chen(fighting with jack for the umbrella):"But a Wise Man knows when to get out of the Rain!"

I grew-up in the 80's man,don't make me get out Tango&Cash...... :D
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

And that works perfectly well :lol:
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I've included the "Black Blood of the Earth" as a MacGuffin in more than a few RPGs over the years.

When some wild-eyed, clown-school drop-out grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite cowl up against the alley wall, looks you crooked in the eye, and asks you if you paid your dues; you just stare that joker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Barbara Gordon always says at a time like that: "Have you paid your dues, Babs? Yes ma'am, the check is in the mail."