Ares Ronnie Thunderbolts Edits - Optimus Prime, Terry Bogard

For those with an inclination towards visual arts.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Ares Edits - Legion Edits

Post by Ares »

Batgirl III wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:48 pm
Ares wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:00 pm I'm planning on doing a most of the Legion, but I'm going through by order of when Wikipedia said they joined, so it'll be a while. Still, I'll get to her when they can.
In that case, you'll never get to her. She never joined the Legion!

In the original continuity, she was kept out because "Invulnerability" was her only power and it wasn't unique, she never graduated from Montauk Point. In the Post-Crisis version of the LSH, she was retconned to have been a Manhunter android! In both the Post-Zero Hour and Post-Flashpoint version of the DCU, she simply doesn't exist.
I get the feeling Andromeda (aka Laurel Gand) from the SW6 batch and the Reboot Legion was meant to be sort of a hybrid of Laurel Kent and Supergirl, allowing them to essentially save "both" of the characters that the Crisis wound up killing. I imagine the Legion writers got an editorial mandate to make Laurel a Manhunter to reduce the Superman connection to the Legion, and they hated the idea.

According to wikipedia, the bit with the Manhunter is no longer considered in continuity, so she's technically alive out there.

As for her not being a member of the Legion, I plan to also do mock ups of other characters important to the Legion mythos who might not have technically been members, and since Laurel was a special request, I'll fit her in. Beyond nixing the barely-there-bathing suit and the pancho, any special requests with her outfit? There where these Superboy/Supergirl outfits in the 90s that Alex Ross had designed for a shot of the Legion in Kingdom Come.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I rather like the Alex Ross design. No surprise there, Alex Ross can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned.

If I had any artistic talent, I'd probably try to mash up that Alex Ross design with Andromeda's SW6 loincloth-skirt. Maybe bare arms or short sleeves. Laurel shouldn't be afraid to show some skin, I mean, she's got Silver Age Kryptonian Invulnerability, its not like she gets chilly.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Looks like Ross had that in mind:

"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Like I said, the man can do no wrong. Without a doubt, he's my all-time favorite comic book artist.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Hey, you don't have to convince me. The fact that he's got a clear love for and been involved with several of the best stories featuring Captain Marvel doesn't hurt things at all. :D

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Duplicate Girl

Thoughts: Duplicate Girl (and I decided to go with that over Triplicate Girl) was actually kind of a challenge, because I wanted do something different than what her Reboot outfit was (which was basically an orange and purple version of Saturn Girl's outfit, with a triangle emblem instead of a Saturn one), but it's hard to nail down a really good "iconic" outfit for her, as well as give her a different symbol since she no longer is limited to just three forms. In the end, I took a little inspiration from her animated appearance and embraced the fact that a lot of her costumes had these really short skirts. Symbol wise I opted for two different colored circles emerging from a central white one, as I figured the triangle was a bit too linked to the old three forms power, and that gave the general impression of duplication.

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:09 am
Batgirl III wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:48 pm
Ares wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:00 pm I'm planning on doing a most of the Legion, but I'm going through by order of when Wikipedia said they joined, so it'll be a while. Still, I'll get to her when they can.
In that case, you'll never get to her. She never joined the Legion!

In the original continuity, she was kept out because "Invulnerability" was her only power and it wasn't unique, she never graduated from Montauk Point. In the Post-Crisis version of the LSH, she was retconned to have been a Manhunter android! In both the Post-Zero Hour and Post-Flashpoint version of the DCU, she simply doesn't exist.
I get the feeling Andromeda (aka Laurel Gand) from the SW6 batch and the Reboot Legion was meant to be sort of a hybrid of Laurel Kent and Supergirl, allowing them to essentially save "both" of the characters that the Crisis wound up killing. I imagine the Legion writers got an editorial mandate to make Laurel a Manhunter to reduce the Superman connection to the Legion, and they hated the idea.

According to wikipedia, the bit with the Manhunter is no longer considered in continuity, so she's technically alive out there.

As for her not being a member of the Legion, I plan to also do mock ups of other characters important to the Legion mythos who might not have technically been members, and since Laurel was a special request, I'll fit her in. Beyond nixing the barely-there-bathing suit and the pancho, any special requests with her outfit? There where these Superboy/Supergirl outfits in the 90s that Alex Ross had designed for a shot of the Legion in Kingdom Come.
Dude, I totes just built Laurel Kent- why check Wikipedia? Are you... SKIPPING MY BUILDS? *sob*!

Agreed with BG on the pink for Saturn Girl- she's oddly one of the only heroines in the world who wore it, so I generally prefer it on the character. It's actually odd how little of it you see in comics, especially from Silver Age females. Though when questioning it, I automatically realized that "Oh shit, it's because it's probably hard to print, right?", because certain intermediate shades like grey, pink, etc., are nightmares to print in old-timey methods.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:44 am Dude, I totes just built Laurel Kent- why check Wikipedia? Are you... SKIPPING MY BUILDS? *sob*!
Says the guy with two posts in MY thread, one of them whining about not getting enough attention, to the guy that regularly makes multi-paragraph posts in YOUR thread. Cry me a river you little drama queen. ;)

Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Ares wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:31 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:44 am Dude, I totes just built Laurel Kent- why check Wikipedia? Are you... SKIPPING MY BUILDS? *sob*!
Says the guy with two posts in MY thread, one of them whining about not getting enough attention, to the guy that regularly makes multi-paragraph posts in YOUR thread. Cry me a river you little drama queen. ;)
Don't mind me, I'm just making some pop-corn.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

just for that, I'm docking Karate Kid another PL :P.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Batgirl III wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:07 pm Laurel Kent that isn’t an itty-bitty black bikini or a naked girl in a semi-translucent poncho.

I like laurel Kent in her itty-bitty bikinis and semi-translucent ponchos.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Woodclaw wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:10 pm
Don't mind me, I'm just making some pop-corn.
I brought the 24 pack of Soda for anyone intrested....also nachos. :D
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Ares Edits

Post by Ares »

Ares wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:30 pm Iron Fist - Custom - Basic

Iron Fist - Custom - Glowing

Iron Fist - Classic - Basic

Iron Fist - Classic - Glowing
Iron Fist Update

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Phantom Girl

Thoughts: I liked the outfit Phantom Girl got during the SW6 Legion/ Re-Boot era, but I also wanted to reference her famous bell-bottoms outfit with all of the cleavage cut outs. I figured just making the cut-outs part of the stripe would work, as well as giving her boots larger "cuffs" to them would simulate that decently. The layering effect also works okay as "symbol" of passing through walls, I think.

Ares
Site Admin

Re: Ares Edits

Post by Ares »

Ares wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:52 am Mary Marvel / Lady Marvel - Custom
Decided to do some more updating on this thread, so here's my take on Mary Marvel