Masters of Ioun

Have a setting you like or a home brew you want to share? Do it here.
Batgirl III

Zodanga in Detail

Post by Batgirl III »

Zodanga in Detail

Overview
Zodanga is a nation of proud, ambitious people who, while not warlike, pride themselves on never backing away from a conflict. They were the last nation to fall to Kordan Empire and the first to throw off the Empire's yoke.

An industrialized nation, Zodanga's technology and manufacturing prowess are second only to its rival Korad. As its business expands across Ioun, so does its political influence and military power.

Brief History
For centuries, Zodanga thrived as a feudal culture with rich fields, bountiful forests, and a merchant fleet that kept the nobles' coffers full. When the Kordan Empire marched against it, the nation was able to hold the invaders back for years, given its wealth and defensible borders. Indeed, it might have resisted the Empire even longer, but as Korad absorbed Zodanga's trading partners, the nobles realized they would have no choice but to surrender. Rather than destroy their country's infrastructure with a prolonged war, they accepted Imperial rule and became the last province added to the Empire.

It was during the Imperial rule that the merchant guilds rose in prominence. They spoke the Empire's language of commerce and technology, though they chafed at its punishing taxes and arbitrary trade restrictions. Zodanga became a center for manufactured goods and boasted a Machinist Order chapterhouse every bit as advanced as the central Order labs in Korad.

The Machinists Schism originated in Zodanga when the local chapterhouse refused to turn over its new discoveries to the Machinists in Korad. When Korad grew militant in its demands, the Order offered its technology to Zodanga in exchange for the nation's help defending itself. Zodanga accepted and thus ignited the spark that would eventually burn the Empire down.

When the black ships came, Zodanga was on the front lines, fighting to defend the continent. When the invaders were repelled, Zodanga supported the rebuilding efforts with its own riches, going so far as to loan money to those nations that were damaged in the attack in order to rebuild.

Zodanga is now in the midst of an industrial revolution. It is still a manufacturing center and it has reclaimed its place as an economic powerhouse, shipping its goods all over Ioun. Though it's still technically a feudal society, ruled by royalty and the noble class, the true power has slipped into the hands of the guilds.

The People
The people of Zodanga value ingenuity, practicality, and ambition. They admire those who adapt to their circumstances and thrive no matter what. They have little patience for those who bemoan what has been lost, pine for the past, or embrace the appearance of success over success itself.

Physically, Zodangans are tall and slender, with skin color ranging from light brown to pale pink, with lightly colored hair to match. Their clothing is always practical; even their formal wear is comfortable and durable. Because of the rains, cloaks, capes, and hoods are always in style; Because of the humidity, they are designed to be shed at a moment's notice. Since Zodangan culture celebrates the self-made and ambitious, it's no surprise that the nation produces so many adventurers. Some are the second- or third-offspring of nobility, with no hope of inheriting, who go out to seek their fortune. Others are lowborn laborers with nothing to inherit anyway. Still others may be professional scouts, entrepreneurs, or agents, either independent or working for one of the guilds. Zodangans are found wherever there is business to be done—and wherever there are Zodangans, there is business to be done.

Factions
The Guilds: The true powers in Zodanga are the Guilds. As the country shifted from an agrarian one to a manufacturing center, the Guilds gradually rose in power. There are many guilds: cloth-makers, ship-makers, smiths, drivers... the list goes on. If a significant number of people are engaged in a business, chances are they have formed a guild. The exception is farming, which remains under the control of the peerage, though the farmers are no longer peasants legally bound to the land, but tenant farmers who rent. The official purpose of these guilds is to protect the lives and livelihoods of their members. But while many of them do this, they also spend a great deal of effort ensuring the wealth and power of the guild leaders. The guild system makes it very difficult for a worker to be independent. The guilds support their power by loaning money to the peerage and then demanding concessions from the indebted nobles. Some guilders acknowledge the corruption high in the ranks and are trying to initiate reforms. A few are having success. Others are being silenced.

The Peerage: While the nobles of Zodanga don't have nearly the power they did before the Empire, they remain respected traditional figures of authority. A Lord's keep is the seat of government for the region, and his word is law, insofar as he can enforce it. Each hereditary Peer is responsible for the commoners in its domain, both defending them and keeping the peace between them. To that end, the nobles have soldiers, administrators, and agents under their command.

Though they'd be loath to admit it, many Peers don't have the money to back up their orders and are forced to borrow what they need from the Guilds. As a result, their policies tend to favor the merchants who control their purse-strings. Some Peers are trying to move in on the Guilds to take their power back.

The Techs: After the Machinist Schism, Zodanga became home to the new headquarters of the Machinist Order. The University of the Machine, as the former chapterhouse became known, has opened its doors to any who want to learn the secrets of the Ancients. There are more technicians residing in Zodanga now than anywhere but Korad. Techs are at once respected and mocked. Because they spend most of their lives in the University studying, they are perceived as naive and ignorant of the "real world" — and many of them are. They have resisted the power of the Guilds and are their own independent entities, though techs are often found in the employ of Guilds and Peers. They are especially common in the factories, where techs are required to keep the great machines running.

Religion
Since the people of Zodanga are famously practical, they aren't much given to religion. That said, Ibis, a deity worshiped in Lothar, is slowly growing in popularity in the rural areas of Zodanga where the religion's emphasis on independence and strength seems appealing. During the height of the old empire, Kordan-style ancestor worshop was practiced by many peers and quite a few commoners, since Zodanga has regained its independence openly practicing the Koradan faith is seen as somewhat unpatriotic, although a large minority of the population still keeps the old traditions.

Economy
Zodanga is in the midst of an industrial revolution. With the power of force rays and energy crystals, the small factories that turned out cloth, clothing, and consumer goods have been able to ramp up production capacity by a factor of hundreds. As manufacturing has grown in importance, agriculture has faded, and each generation more people leave the farms to work in the factories in the cities. While there is more money to be made in manufacturing than agriculture, most of that money flows upwards to the guilds and merchants who manage the production. The bottom-rung workers barely make enough to survive, much less get ahead.

The poor of Zodanga are just as ambitious as their wealthier counterparts and are encouraged by stories of lowborn workers who turned a great idea, a little start-up cash, and a whole lot of hard work into a successful venture. It doesn't happen that often, but it does happen, and everyone celebrates a good success story.

The nobles, by and large, don't have nearly as much money as they used to. Many of them are in debt to the various guilds, and those that retain their wealth have only done so by investing in outside businesses. Zodanga imports ironglass, energy crystals, and other raw materials for manufacturing. Ivory stone-silk from Thark are important imports, as clothing is one of its biggest exports. Other exports include paper, wood products, ships, meat, and force ray weapons.

Technology
The Machinist Order has its headquarters in Zodanga and each year produces many new inventions; it's up to the guild engineers to figure out ways to make these inventions profitable. Zodanga produces and sells airships, skimmers, blaster weapons, and other common, practical crystal gear. Less common items are available at a premium price and all the wealthiest homes feature electric lights and heat.

Military
Each noble house has its own household guard of twenty to a hundred troops, depending on the size of the fief and the wealth of the house. Peers can also call up a levy from their lands if necessary in times of war, but since these are largely made up of untrained lowborn it hasn't happened in decades and most Peers are loath to resort to this measure. If their household guard is short, they prefer to hire mercenaries. Zodanga itself boasts a small but professional army funded by the royal treasury. This includes the famous terror-lizard cavalry mounted on trihorns. The military is primarily defensive, specifically assigned to defend the trade routes with the other nations. While it has numerous well-armed airships at its disposal, the military is careful when defending trade routes, as this entails encroaching on other nations' air space. It happens quite often, but it's a delicate matter that sometimes requires political maneuvering after the fact.

The Land
Zodanga is dominated by thick forests in its north, which thin towards the south into sparse trees and rolling fields. It's bordered by the Toonol Desert to the north, the Kaol Jungle to the east, and the Warhoon River to the west. The climate is temperate, with heavy precipitation in the forested lands. The south shores of the Warhoon Expanse are subject to freezing, snow-filled winters.

Major Settlements
Zodan, the Crossroads: (Population 54,000) Zodan is the gateway between Zodanga and the world. It's a massive trade center, with the highest concentration of foreigners in the nation. It is by far the most eclectic market in Zodanga, where rare spices from Kaol are sold next to stone-silk from Thark and hand-crafted blaster pistols from Korad.

Warhoon, the Summer Court: (Population 27,000) Warhoon, the ancient capital of Zodanga, is a located at the south of the Zodhood Basin alongside the Warhoon River, which serves as a trade route to the northern seas. Warhoon is the seat of government, where the royalty live much of the year, and most nobles have a home here they visit at least a few months during the season, just so they can be seen at court. The top guilds also have their headquarters here. The outer rings of Warhoon contain the factories, which are spreading out into what had been farmland and orchards for centuries. Some say the run-off from these factories is affecting the nearby crops, but no one has been able to prove these stories true.

Flora and Fauna
Feeders: These giant duck-billed terror-lizards are slow-moving, thick-skinned, and dim-witted; when butchered, they provide enough meat to feed a whole family for half a year. They eat a lot and are largely raised on the central plains where there is enough room for them to graze. Trihorn-riding ranchers watch over their herds, keeping an eye out for rustlers and predators.

Stalkers: The various types of these predatory terror-lizards range in size from that of a large rat to a small horse. They are bipedal, with long necks and tails, and armed with vicious claws and teeth. They hunt in packs and are disturbingly intelligent. Stalkers prefer weak prey and will flee from any fight they can't win. They're seen mostly in the forests near farms, where they hunt livestock, but smaller species have been found living in the sewers and back alleys of the cities, where they hunt prey of another sort.

Trihorns: These giant, three-horned terror-lizards, originally imported from Exum, are used as mounts and beasts of burden. They have been largely domesticated and are raised on ranches in the rural southern areas. Trihorns are the backbone of the military's famous cavalry.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Batgirl III

Karsen Katar

Post by Batgirl III »

Name: KARSEN KATAR
Background: Noble
Class: Fighter (Battle Master)
Level: 3
Race: Human
Civilized men are more dangerous than savages. It's true, they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing, but you'll notice they tend to be far more polite and have elaborate rules of courtesy... Because what they will do to you if you anger them will make you wish for something as comforting as a barbarian cracking open your skull.
Biographic Info
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Size: Medium
Sex: Male
Height: 6'0"
Weight: 195 lbs.
Hair: Blonde
Eyes: Blue

Ability Scores
STR: 16 +3
CON: 10 +0
DEX: 14 +2
INT: 12 +1
WIS: 8 -1
CHA: 14 +2

Class Features
Hit Points (HD): 22 (3d10)
Proficiency Bonus: +2
Trained Saves: Str, Con
Armor Proficiencies: All Armor; Shields
Weapons Proficiencies: All Simple, All Martial
Tool Proficiencies: Caligraphy Tools, Playing Cards
Languages: Kordan, Zodan, Exumese
Trained Skills: Athletics, History, Intimidation, Perception, Persuasion

Special Abilities
Feat: Shield Master
• Fighting Style (Protection)
• Second Wind (1d10+3)
• Archetype (Battle Master)
• Student of War
Manuvers: Commander's Strike, Parry, Riposte
Superority Dice: x4

Equipment
• Chain Shirt, Shield
• Battleaxe, Handaxe, Dagger
• A set of fine clothes, a signet ring, a scroll of pedigree, and a purse containing 25 gp

Background
Born to noble family of Zodanga, Karsen Katar has power, wealth, and prestige simply by value of his name. While not all of the Nine Nation supports an aristocratic class -- U-Gor finds them silly, Kaol finds the idea alien -- even the people of those nations will respect Katar's wealth when he brings it to bear. What Katar wants, Katar gets. What he can't acquire by prestige, he'll get through his money or connections... or his swordarm.
Last edited by Batgirl III on Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
MacynSnow

Re: Masters of Ioun

Post by MacynSnow »

I've been playing Dungeons & Dragons since Second Edition (i actually understand THACO!),that was back in 1986-87 that i got started into this hobby.I have played in 3 Homebrewed Campaign worlds and run/ran 2 i made myself(my primary one has a large carry-on wheelie bag for just my notes.I've ran it since i was 16),and i think what you have created here is a work of Love&Labor that will only get better as you add more to it...it's absolutely gorgeous.So,from the God-King(s) of Zakahir (my Primary Campaign world),i bow to you the God(s) of Ioun and marvel at your great Works.....
Batgirl III

Serise Sonja

Post by Batgirl III »

Name: SERISE SONJA
Background: Criminal (Burglar)
Class: Rogue (Thief)
Race: Human (Exumese)
I've never met a man who couldn't be cut by cold steel or a warm smile.
Biographic Info
Alignment: Neutral
Sex: Female
Height: 5'7"
Weight: 115 lbs.
Hair: Auburn
Eyes: Hazel

Ability Scores
STR: 8 -1
DEX: 16 +3
INT: 12 +1
WIS: 14 +2
CHA: 14 +2

Class Features
Hit Points (HD): 18 (3d8)
Trained Saves: Dex, Int
Armor Proficiencies: Light
Weapons Proficiencies: All Simple; Hand Crossbows, Longswords, Rapiers, Shortswords
Tool Proficiencies: Thieves' Tools, Harp
Languages: Kordan, Exumese
Trained Skills: Acrobatics, Athletics, Deception, Perception, Sleight of Hand, Stealth

Special Abilities
Feat: Alert
• Expertise (Athletics, Stealth)
• Sneak Attack (2d6)
• Theives' Cant
• Cunning Action
• Archetype (Thief)
• Fast Hands
• Second-Story Work

Equipment
• Two Shortswords, Hand Crossbow (20 bolts), Four Daggers
• Leather Armor
• Thieves' Tools
• A crowbar, a set of fine clothing, a set of common clothing, belt pouch containing 15 gp

Background
Serise isn't one for confrontations. She prefers to slip into the target site, steal what she came for, and vanish without a trace. Armed robbery really isn't her style. She finds con-jobs and seduction boring and inefficient, its just so much work to string the mark along and convince him to give up the goods... When you could just break in and take them. Of course, just because she doesn't like that sort of work doesn't mean she's bad at it. Scores of marks with broken hearts from Zodan to Harwoon can attest to that.

Serise prefers to work alone, but if the money's right, she'll work with a crew in need of her skills. Karsen Katar and his band of adventurers needed an expert to help them break into the Lost Temple of Ge Xagyg. Serise was eager for the challenge... and her cut.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Dinosaurs AND no Magic? A setting after my own heart!!
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Name: TOR ZHAN
Background: Gladiator
Class: Fighter (Champion)
Race: Human (U-Gor)
I'd rather be here, a free man among brothers, facing a long march and a hard fight, than the richest senator in Zodan -- fat with food he didn't work for and surrounded by slaves!
Biographic Info
Alignment: Neutral Good
Height: 6'5"
Weight: 215 lbs.
Hair: Black
Eyes: Grey

Ability Scores
STR: 16 +3
CON: 15 +2
DEX: 14 +2
INT: 9 -1
WIS: 11 +0
CHA: 13 +1

Class Features
Hit Points (HD): 28 (3d10)
Trained Saves: Str, Con
Armor Proficiencies: All Armor; Shields
Weapons Proficiencies: All Simple; All Martial
Tool Proficiencies: Disguise Kit, Drums
Languages: Kordan, Exumese
Trained Skills: Acrobatics, Athletics, Intimidation, Performance

Special Abilities
• Fighting Style (Great Weapon Fighting)
• Second Wind (1d10+3)
• Action Surge
• Archetype (Champion)
• Improved Critical

Equipment
• Spear, Net, Two Handaxes, Dagger
• Leather Armor, Shield
• Explorers' Pack
• Love letter from an admirer, gladitorial costume (a manticore mask), set of common clother, a belt poch containing 5 5 gp

Background
Tor Zhan was captured by slavers as a child and spent most of his life playing and winning the Blood Games of Exum. When "The Manticor of U-Gor" finally won his freedom, he realized he only had one real skill and took up the life of a mercenary. His spear, his shield, and his courage are for sale, though not necessarily to the highest bidder. Yes, he has his price, but has his principles, too. For those who can satisfy both, he'll fight to the death.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Name: VREETO
Background: Outlander
Class: Rogue (Scout)
Race: Grippli
I know these tracks. These are Zodangan miners. Ten trihorn mules, two outriders. One of the outriders is fat. Ate all his rations too fast. Will be grumpy. The other one chews too much khat. Has bladder infection. Will be grumpier.
Biographic Info
Alignment: Neutral Good
Size: Small
Height: 3'2"
Weight: 75 lbs.

Ability Scores
DEX: 16 +3
INT: 14 +2
WIS: 15 +2
CHA: 12 +1

Class Features
Hit Points (HD): 18 (3d8)
Trained Saves: Dex, Int
Armor Proficiencies: Light
Weapons Proficiencies: All Simple; Blowgun, Hand Crossbow, Longsword, Net, Rapier, Shortbow, Shortsword, Sling
Tool Proficiencies: Poisoner's Kit, Thieves' Tools
Languages: Kordan, Grippli
Trained Skills: Acrobatics, Athletics, Deception, Insight, Nature, Perception, Stealth, Survival

Special Abilities
• Mask of the Wild
• Leaper
• Grippli Hunters' Training
• Expertise (Athletics, Stealth)
• Cunning Action
• Roguish Archetype (Scout)
• Skirmisher
• Survivalist

Equipment
• Shortbow (20 Arrows), Net, Blowgun (20 Darts), Handaxe, Dagger
• Leather Armor
• Explorers' Pack, Poisoner's Kit
• Traveler's Clothes, Belt pouch with 5 gp

Background
Vreeto was hired away from his tribe by Katar's promises of enough gold and treasures to buy off the miners who are threatening the tribe's territory. Vreeto's tribe is considering going to war against the humans, but it Katar's promised gold can get them to leave without bloodshed, the Grippli will consider that a better outcome.

Life in the world outside Koal has been more than the young tracker ever expected, he's come to really enjoy the life of an adventurer... Once they do find this Lost Temple of Ge Xagyg, get the loot, and pay off the colonizers, Vreeto intends to stay with his new friends and see what comes next.
Batgirl III

Horoki

Post by Batgirl III »

Name: HOROKI SKYWATCHER TETEROZUZU
Background: Outlander
Class: Ranger (Hunter Conclave)
Race: Goliath
I will break you.
Biographic Info
Sex: Feale
Height: 7'8"
Weight: 315 lbs.

Ability Scores
STR: 15 +2
CON: 17 +3
DEX: 12 +1
INT: 10 +0
WIS: 13 +1
CHA: 8 -1

Class Features
Hit Points (HD): 27 (6d4)
Trained Saves: Str, Dex
Armor Proficiencies: Light and Medium Armor; Shields
Weapons Proficiencies: All Simple, All Martial
Tool Proficiencies: None
Languages: Kordan, Goliath
Trained Skills: Animal Handling, Athletics, Nature, Perception, Stealth, Survival

Special Abilities
• Natural Athlete
• Stone's Endurance
• Powerful Build
• Tundra Born
• Favored Enemy (Beasts)
• Natural Explorer
• Combat Superiority
Manuvers: Goading Attack, Menacing Attack
Superority Dice: x4
• Fighting Stle (Dueling)
• Poltices
• Ranger Conclave (Hunter)
Hunter's Prey: Colossus Slayer

Equipment
• Battleaxe, four javelins
• Leather Armor, Shield
• Explorer's Pack
• Traveler's Clothes, Hunting Trap, Belt Pouch with 25 gp

Background
Horoki Skywatcher is a young goliath hunter on the edge of her entry into adulthood in her clan. Seeking a way to better her marriage prospects and earn a more desirable mate, she has elected to leave her tribe on a Walkabout. Seeking glory, great deeds, and a new name. Katar offered her the chance to earn all of these (and maybe a big pile of gold coin too).
Batgirl III

Gakusha

Post by Batgirl III »

Name: IDE GAKUSHA
Background: Sage
Class: Monk (Way of the Open Hand)
Race: Rock Gnome

Biographic Info
Size: Small
Height: 3'8"
Weight: 95 lbs
Hair: Black
Eyes: Brown

Ability Scores
CON: 14 +2
DEX: 15 +2
INT: 14 +2
WIS: 14 +2
CHA: 10 +0

Class Features
Hit Points (HD): 24 (3d8)
Trained Saves: Str, Dex
Armor Proficiencies: None
Weapons Proficiencies: Simple weapons, shortswords
Tool Proficiency: Tinker's Tools, Calligraphy Tools
Languages: Kordan, Dusarese
Trained Skills: Acrobatics, History, Insight, Stealth

Special Abilities
• Gnome Cunning
• Artificer's Lore
• Tinker
• Unarmored Defense
• Martial Arts (1d4)
Ki Points: 3
• Deflect Missiles
• Monastic Tradition (Open Hand)
• Open Hand Technique

Equipment
• Shortsword, Club, Ten Darts
• Explorers' Pack
• Traveler's Cloths, Scholars' Robes, Purse with 15 gp

Background
Gakusha is a scholar of ancient history and the real reason that Karsen Katar has pulled together this mismatched band of adventurers. It was Gakusha that found the first clues that the Lost Temple of Ge Xagyg might not be as mythical as once thought, but instead, was an actual lost workshop of the Ancients. Although the monasteries of Dusar prepared their members to survive the dangers of the outside world, they also taught them the wisdom of advanced preparation. Finding the Lost Temple would be dangerous, bringing a group of equally dangerous companions with him just made sense.

Gakusha is a quiet and introspective sort, he lets the naturally more extroverted Katar take the leadership role in the group. But his friends have learned that when the quiet gnome does speak up, its almost always worth listening to him.
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

I love the idea of the setting, but I see big issue: Healing.

D&D is built around resource management, and Hit Points are a major component of this. So there needs to be a method to heal mid-combat and immediately after combat.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Only if you want the campaign to be as forgiving as the default High Fantasy settings that 5e defaults to. This campaign world is not meant to emulate that genre. It’s explicitly based on the Sword-and-Planet subgenre of the pulp fiction days. Combat is lethal, injuries are lasting, and healing is difficult.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Chris Brady wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:04 am I love the idea of the setting, but I see big issue: Healing.

D&D is built around resource management, and Hit Points are a major component of this. So there needs to be a method to heal mid-combat and immediately after combat.
The Hit Dice system of 5e takes care nicely of the after combat portion
Batgirl III wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:58 am Only if you want the campaign to be as forgiving as the default High Fantasy settings that 5e defaults to. This campaign world is not meant to emulate that genre. It’s explicitly based on the Sword-and-Planet subgenre of the pulp fiction days. Combat is lethal, injuries are lasting, and healing is difficult.
I assume you're going to use the mutilation rules from the DMG.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Fighters have still have their Second Wind class feature, Ioun Rangers and Ioun Bards have some healing abilities, and Ioun Rangers also have a 2d4 Hit Die. It’s not completely hopeless.
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

Batgirl III wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:58 am Only if you want the campaign to be as forgiving as the default High Fantasy settings that 5e defaults to. This campaign world is not meant to emulate that genre. It’s explicitly based on the Sword-and-Planet subgenre of the pulp fiction days. Combat is lethal, injuries are lasting, and healing is difficult.
Personal experience (which is fully anecdotal) tells me that no one will want adventure in this. Especially if it puts people out of commission for several 'in game' weeks or months. They'll hide behind armies of minions.

And the Hit Dice mechanism works better at higher levels, when you have a small handful of them to spread out.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

With respect, I have been GM’ing various roleplaying games for nearly three decades. I don’t force any particular genre or theme on my players, every campaign we play begins with a “pitch session,” where we all discuss what we want to do, what we want to play, that sort of thing. It won’t do anyone any good to show up ready to play Monty Python and the Holy Grail when DM has prepared La Morte d’Arthur.

I have made it abundantly clear to my players, up front, that “Ioun” is using the D&D rules but it isn’t a D&D game. In fact, I basically sent them this post via e-mail before we got together for our first CharGen session.