3E IC - LSH - Dawnfire Rising

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
RPGCadre

Re: 3E IC - LSH - Dawnfire Rising

Post by RPGCadre »

Redstreak
"A few moments ago, you heard me mention to Intrepid to make the alteration to her uniform. The notion that she was linked to the legacy of Superman sparked an idea - she will be adding his crest to her uniform to see if there is any credence to the seeming random links to the Man of Steel."
Erica Lynn nodded approvingly at the news that Intrepid would be wearing the crest from the House of El.
“Congratulations are in order.” She said; her head titled slightly as she smiled adoringly at the heroine. “There’s no shame in being a legacy, just make sure that you don’t let the public court of opinion sway you into trying to be like the others. You’re Intrepid, not Superman or Supergirl two point O. Do what you feel is right and not what those knuckle heads outside that door opine about what you should do and how you’re not doing it like Big Blue Boy or Sassy Skirt.”
That said, I expect all of you to extend to Horus the same courtesy and professionalism in the field as you would any other Legionnaire. He is one of our own now, and I hope that long before this mission is over, he understands just what that means."
“Oh Oh!” Redstreak exclaimed. As the theme of his costume began to sink in, she looked around at the others assuming that she was the only one in the room that was under the assumption that the man just had a very intimidating and extremely elaborate costume. “Now I see and it makes total sense. It’s good to put a name to the face and I look forward to watching you toss people around and beat them into submission,”
"Dragonmage, would you like to add anything? Any early thoughts on how to proceed with your mission? Entry points and the like."
Redstreak made sure to glance over at Maverick worried that the loss of position might have upset him. She flashed a smile and subtly shrugged her shoulders as if she were saying, “It sucks, but it’s fine.”

Once she turned her attention to Dragonmage, the smile faded and her gaze was fixed on him, waiting to hear his response to the team.
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Intrepid
Condition: Normal
HP:

"Well said," She smiles at Redstreak. "There have been multiple incursions involving those wearing this crest. It's a theory at the moment. I hope it pans out...

"And you're one to talk of legacy... But, Sassy Skirt? I like that one. I'll have to make sure I tease Kara with it next time she visits."

She laughs, but turns serious a split second later.

"Assuming there is a next time."

She also turns to Maverick for a moment before taking in the room. Her gaze lingers on Hawkangel. She was really curious about him. He'd lived in suspended animation for nearly a thousand years, apparently under his own power... With her own temporal gifts, and now the crest that she wore, maybe they would finally get answers. She wondered about Hawkangel's time. How this must be so strange to him, and yet perhaps familiar. Maybe he didn't see the Legion when he looked around, despite the ring he now wore. No, she could imagine him seeing another incarnation of the heroes from his time. And that gave her pause...

She looked at Dragonmage expectantly.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Maverick
Feeling: Pensive
HP: 1

Maverick shrugs to Erika's glance, seeming unconcerned about any perceived temporary promotion followed by demotion. He wasn't leader material. He could strategize and some out tactics, but that wasn't the same thing as inspiring people to follow.

For the most part, he observes Dragonmage. Having read up on the team, he had doubts in some areas, and Dragonmage casually strolling in late without so much as an apology for the interruption, much less making eye contact with anyone, was hardly promising, and wouldn't be inspiring any camaraderie from the spy.

He'd have to talk to their team lead later. Privately. Or leave a note on that data pad he seemed absorbed in.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Surprisingly, another member of the extended team enters the room. He`s in full field uniform which is unsurprising, but his interruption is more than a little surprising. He walks up to Imra, seemingly speaking mentally with her as he does so. She sighs, her gaze going to Dragonmage and Maverick.

"Xao." He says calmly, "A word please."

Dragonmage gets up, a scowl on his face, but he follows the Legionnaire once known as Cosmic Boy. Imra looks to Maverick.

"If the team is ready to go, the cruiser is ready and waiting."
Last edited by Bladewind on Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Maverick
Feeling: Pensive

"Well....awkward. Alright Imra, if you want me to lead." Maverick shrugs and addresses his team. "I am really not the leadership type, but for the purpose of being the final say on judgement calls, I can handle that. What that means for you all is if you have something to say, an idea or opinion, I want to hear it. I'm not super strong or fast and I can't fly, without standard Legion gear anyways. I'm not even the best fighter among the team here, so I will trust your judgements in areas pertaining to your strengths, so speak up, even if you think I am making a mistake. Any questions before I go into mission stuff?"

He looks to the other three, giving them a chance to respond before he carries on with a more mission pertinent spiel.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

"Awkward indeed." Imra says, and addresses Maverick`s opinion of being field leader "However, those are precisely the reasons I put I want you as mission lead, Maverick.

"I have assigned Solarhawk and Vanguard, the former of which most of you are familiar, to a special assignment. Besides, there are several in command that don`t think putting them with Hawkangel is a good idea, at least not yet.

"For the record, I would not have kept Dragonmage in charge if he was not fit to lead. He and Rokk are hopefully going to have a long talk and sort out their issues."
She tries to hide it, but her tone is not that hopeful.

"So, as Maverick said, questions?"
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
RPGCadre

Post by RPGCadre »

Redstreak
"Xao." He says calmly, "A word please."

Dragonmage gets up, a scowl on his face, but he follows the Legionnaire once known as Cosmic Boy. Imra looks to Maverick.

"If the team is ready to go, the cruiser is ready and waiting."
Erica Lynn looked on as the uniformed stranger entered the room. She wasn’t sure who they were, but the way they entered and quickly directed their attention toward Dragonmage left no doubt in her mind that this person wasn’t about to shake their hands and give him some sort of welcoming speech.

She began to get concerned when Dragonmage was asked into another room. “And then, there were four.” She muttered.
There were so many more questions she wanted to ask Irma, but knew that there wasn’t enough time for a long winded Q and A about the team and about what just happened.

“Yeah, maybe we should go before the Principal comes back out and pulls another one of us in there,” she joked.
"Well....awkward. Alright Imra, if you want me to lead." Maverick shrugs and addresses his team. "I am really not the leadership type, but for the purpose of being the final say on judgement calls, I can handle that. What that means for you all is if you have something to say, an idea or opinion, I want to hear it. I'm not super strong or fast and I can't fly, without standard Legion gear anyways. I'm not even the best fighter among the team here, so I will trust your judgments in areas pertaining to your strengths, so speak up, even if you think I am making a mistake. Any questions before I go into mission stuff?"
“Don’t freak out about it too much.” Redstreak said as she stood up from her chair. “It’s on the fly so just go with what you know. The fact that you’re a leader who admits his flaws and is willing to listen, kind of shows me that you’ll do fine. We can just adlib for now and work on teamwork if issues arise. Judging by that picture that place is huge. What if I scout the place out and work on giving you a safe and easy path from Point A to point B? Path of least resistance right?”
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Feel free to continue your conversation.

The ship available to you is comfortable, if not made for long-term usage (not having quarters and the like, although it has facilities that qualify as a full infirmary, even that takes very little space.

Although the ship is equipped with an autopilot, you'll (hopefully) be relieved that piloting duties are not going to depend on any of you. What's more, the pilot is not a non-powered Science-Police officer. The uniform may be a standard issue/ generic Legion suit, but the nametag says "Taine." Maverick would instantly recognize Richard Taine, otherwise known as Ricochet. Some might say that his power levels are not in your league, but a pilot that can be in multiple places literally at once as well as survive nearly any fall is a definite plus as a pilot.

Departure from Earth is uneventful, and the ship makes the jump through hyperspace, leaving no traces in the stargate system. Indeed, no stargate goes to Apokolips. As you enter the edges of the asteroid belt near your destination, Richard chimes in.

"Alright guys and gals, we're coming up on the universe's outhouse. I have a couple of locations that we should probably scout, but I don't think landing on the remains of Darkseid's palace is the best idea. Thoughts?"

Taine stops the ship in the asteroid belt, debris created from the destruction of New Genesis centuries ago. From your mission briefing, Darkseid used to have an extensive detection grid for objects entering his space. Whether or not they're still active is anyone's guess, but you can clearly see that no one really tries to come here if they can avoid it. Your intel suggests that the cloak the ship is equipped with should be sufficient as a countermeasure. Key word being should.

Note: any info available on the various wikis is available to you. How much of it is still accurate is a matter for debate.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Holding on any additional conversation you might want to have.

Maverick can post an appropriate roll at any time - at the very least he'll notice a masked energy signature. Greater success will show that to be a heat signature, potentially showing contained over masked.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

EpicEclipse wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:02 am Firstly to determine if we have extra living beings on board.
Senses 10 (Detect Life, Ranged, Accurate, Penetrates Concealment, Counters Concealment), Distracting
Definitely a presence.

However, it all depends on how you define life. There is something - something that while "scrolling through" his senses he more easily sees as a heat signature than a carbon-based life form. But he definitely detects life. Life that is actively trying to hide and probably would have succeeded against most tech or anyone other than Maverick, who doesn`t have the visual limitations of, say, a Daxamite.

Further scan shows that the signature has roughly humanoid mass and dimensions, is contained and concealed to an extent. It reads as alive, but it could be a cosmic amoeba with minimal intelligence/ sentience as unlikely as that sounds.
EpicEclipse wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:02 am If detecting someone to determine if they are Legionnaires or not.
Senses 10 (Detect Legion Ring, Ranged, Accurate, Penetrates Concealment, Counters Concealment), Distracting
You register 6 rings on board, 7 for a moment, back to 6. (Nice one BTW.)
EpicEclipse wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:02 amAt this point, if there is another living person on board, he knows where they are, if not necessarily who.
Indeed. So, this pic is not precisely the same class and model as the pic above, but it's close enough for my purposes:

There are not a lot of places to hide. As I mentioned, this is not a ship for a long term assignment. Taine is in the front with whoever might have joined him. He can pilot the craft alone, even if take off and departures generally require two people, and that likely explains why Maverick detected a seventh ring for a moment. (Maverick will know that Taine is a duplicator with a secondary powerset enabling him to manipulate kinetic energy.)

It would take even Maverick a couple of moments to pinpoint the excess energy. It's doing a good job of mimicking and blending into the engine signature. However, Taine's manipulation of the engine's results in power spikes and drops that the energy was not prepared for and fails to follow. Whatever it is, the energy source is within the engine<s maintenance compartment.
EpicEclipse wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:02 am Next, regardless to determine if they are transmitting anything.
Senses 9 (Radio, Acute, Accurate, Analytical, Counters Concealment, Tracking 2), Distracting
Nothing is transmitting other than Taine's initial communication with HQ as you lift off, the normal chatter as you clear the planetary body, and then radio silence. There was no evidence of a carrier wave or embedded signal in the communication and no other transmission.
EpicEclipse wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:02 am Can also cycle through some other things like detecting concealment to learn if they are using any manner of cloaking device. Power cores for robots and the like that may require one. Pretty much all following the same basic power set up as above.
The newest recruit, Hawkangel, seems to be interfering to an extent with Maverick's senses. Not intentionally, or at least it doesn't seem that he is. But for some reason the energy reading fluctuates around Hawkangel. It takes a few seconds to realize, but the presence has somehow linked their biosignature to Hawkangel and there is somehow enough similarity between the two that a fix is difficult. That might also explain why detecting life in the first place was so ambiguous.

Question, will the others be aware that Maverick is looking for something or someone? Or is this a routine inspection as you lift off?
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Maverick
Feeling: suspicious

Maverick isn't being super obvious or vocal about what he is looking for and once the shuttle is well underway, he almost seems to vanish himself. Seemingly impossible in the little shuttle, but he somehow makes it work as he moves towards their stowaway, getting riiiiight up close before whispering... "Tag...you're it."
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Intrepid
Condition: Normal

"So, Horus," She asks the time lost hero. "Your wings protected you from the ravages of time and years. The metal is hard to read, do you have time based powers? Either way, I think you were not just in stasis, but temporal stasis.

“For that matter, Redstreak, are you Barry Allen break the Time Barrier fast?"
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Maverick comes face to face with Solarhawk. Her helmet is down, and her wings folded down/ in. Well, at least its someone wearing her armor.

It would also hit him that if there was a link between Solarhawk and Hawkangel, then their wings are likely both Nth Metal. Two sources of the metal would probably have a low level resonance between them. Not quite magnetic, but almost.

"Guess I don`t this anymore." She removes an attachment on her belt and all confused and suppressed readings return to normal.

Solarhawk nods slowly, keeping her hands visible.

"Vanguard can handle our assignment. I need to know more about Hawkangel." She says, her voice is slightly muted and distorted by her helmet.

Maverick can now put all the previous info together. The suit acts as a containment field for her energy. She is just as powerful as her biological father, Dirk Morgna. Which essentially means that she`s the equivalent of a small sun. Which would definitely explain why she reads as more of a heat signature than a life sign.
TekHed

Post by TekHed »

Hawkangel

Sitting in the front cockpit cabin, Horus was unaware of the revelations happening in the aft compartment.

Responding to Intrepid he answered, "Not at all that I am aware of, but who can say? Like I mentioned before, even the Thanagarians of my time didn't fully understand their own discovery, and from what I've gathered not much has changed in the last millennia. Onimarr Synn used it to gain god-like power, and there are theories I've heard that its properties seem so fluid and varied because it alters localized physics. Aside from that, the infusion process that was done to me used Celestial technology, which adds another layer of uncertainty."

He allowed one of his wings to protract, and regarded the razor-thin feathers, tracing a finger along a single bladed vane.

"They do seem to have a sentience of some kind, and acted on their own to protect me when the Phoenix went supernova. I was as surprised as anyone to wake up and discover I wasn't dead. My mother and father were well known for reincarnation due to dying from Nth-metal, but they seem to be an isolated case. My mother always considered it a mystical effect, but perhaps it was in fact a temporal one, somehow. You are welcome to run some tests if you like, but we should be in a safe and contained environment as even I don't always know how my wings will react..."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Maverick
Feeling: Vaguely amused

"Honestly, I don't know what's more obsurd, that you would abandon an assignment, or that you thought you could hide from me. I mean, that might have worked against most, but I think you severely underestimate me. I might just feel a tad insulted." Maverick teased mildly.

"In any case, the higher ups think interaction between you two is ill-advised right now, sooo...I guess expect a flaying when we get back. Not much to be done about it now. You're here and avoiding Hawkangel is going to be a bit tricky on this little shuttle. Besides, I dont feel inclined to get scorched by telling you no, and we can probably use you on Apokolips."

Obviously Maverick would have been aware of the presence before they even took off but didn't out Solarhawk before they had left, and so had allowed the showing away to happen. Why? Who knows. Amusement maybe? More likely intelligence gathering.