Picture by DziKawa
"Real life is not like the stories our father told us. You are a fool for believing it so!"
Hanzo Shimada (島田半蔵)
Power Level: 8; Power Points: 120; Hero Points: 2
STR: +2 (14), DEX: +4 (18), CON: +2 (14), INT: +2 (14), WIS: +1 (12), CHA: +2 (14)
Skills: Athletics 5 (+7), Awareness 5 (+6), Interaction 2 (+4/+8 Intimidation), Knowledge 3 (+5/+9 streetwise), Language 2 (English 2, Mandarin Chinese 2; native: Japanese 3), Profession (assassin, INT) 6 (+8), Survival 2 (+4), Thievery 3 (+7)
Feats: Accurate Attack, Attack Specialization 1 (bow), Benefit 1 (organizational ties: Yakuza), Connected, Deep Ties (Genji), Defensive Roll 2, Dodge Focus 5, Equipment 1, Improved Aim, Improved Critical 1 (bow), Improved Initiative 1, Improved Ranged Disarm, Luck 1, Power Attack, Precise Shot 1, Ranged Pin, Sneak Attack 1, Task Focus 1 (Intimidation), Task Focus 1 (Streetwise), Ultimate Archer
Shimada Training (Super-movement 2 [wall-crawling]; Flaw: Limited [while running]; 2pp)
Storm Bow & Trick Arrows (Device 5 [easy to lose]; 15pp)
Dragonstrike (Blast 8; Extra: Autofire 1, Area [line, targeted]; Flaw: Action 1 [full-round], Distracting, Tiring; Drawback: Focus 2 [bow and arrow]; 5pp)
Storm Bow & Trick Arrows (25pp of effects)
- Quiver (Array 7; PF: Alternate Power 2)
- Base Power: Broadhead Arrow (Blast 3; PF: Improved Critical 1, Mighty 2; Extra: Penetrating [3 ranks])
- AP: Scatter Arrow (Blast 3; PF: Might 2, Ricochet 2; Extra: Autofire 1)
- AP: Bow Bash (Strike 2; PF: Mighty)
- Sonic Arrow (Linked: Super-Senses 3 [Accurate & Extended 1 (ESP hearing)] + ESP 3 [auditory, 1000']; Extra: Simultaneous; Flaw: Medium [arrow])
2ep in mission specific equipment
Combat: Attack +7 (+9 with bow; Grapple: +9); Defense +10 (+3 Flat-footed); Initiative +8
Saves: Toughness +4/+6 with armor (+2/+4 Falt-footed), Fortitude +5, Reflex +6, Will +5
Totals: Abilities 26 + Skills 14 (28 ranks) + Feats 25 + Powers 22 + Combat 24 + Saves 9 - Drawbacks 0 = 119
- Enemy (the Shimada Clan): Ever since Hanzo left the clan, after killing his brother, the rest of the organization tried to eliminate him time and again.
- Guilt (Genji): Hanzo haven't forgiven himself for 'killing' his little brother.
- Obsession (honor & redeptiom): Hanzo believes that his action tainted his honor and can't forgive himself.
This one murder tore Hanzo apart. He felt that either way he failed his family. He rejected his legacy and, ultimately, left the clan. The elders branded him as a traitor, sending assassin afte assassin with no success. For ten years Hanzo eluded them, returning to Shimada Estate (the clan's ancestral home) once a year to pray over the tomb of his brother. On the tenth anniversary Genji, now a cyborg, confronted him. While Genji forgave him, Hanzo has yet to forgive himself.
Hanzo is really satisfying build. He's really effective and packs some nasty tricks in hsi arsenal (scatter arrows are brutal in confined spaces). The one interesting bit is the Sonic Arrow, the design is partially mutuated by Kreuzritter's on the RA forum, but I make a couple of changes. I moved it outside of the array because otherwise Hanzo won't be able to attack while using it.
Hanzo has become (thanks to the power of memes) somewhat of a joke among the players. I've only used him a couple of times, but I noticed that he has a steep learning curve. Being a scopeless sniper with a projectile travel time, he requires both skill and map awareness to work.
Personality wise Hanzo is not one of my favorites -- the honorable assassin is a very abused trope -- but at least his story arc is still open (opposed to his brother).