World of Freedom 3.2 - Whatever Comes To Mind

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Shock

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - Hero High Revised! Blasphemy Beyond Imagination! South Korea's Mekaforce!

Post by Shock »

Arkrite wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:12 am
Davies wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:22 pm enjoying the food there and waiting for the day that she can finally settle matters once and for all with Charlie Graham (who has no idea who Swan is, remember.)
I can't stop chuckling about this, because having an enemy she knows nothing about is very much a Charlie thing.
And also this foolish belief from Swan that one can simply settle matters with Charlie. :lol:
Swan's going to be very disappointed when Charlie is far more interested in flirting than having some kind of measuring contest.
Davies

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - Hero High Revised! Blasphemy Beyond Imagination! South Korea's Mekaforce!

Post by Davies »

Shock wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:00 pm
Arkrite wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:12 am
Davies wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:22 pm enjoying the food there and waiting for the day that she can finally settle matters once and for all with Charlie Graham (who has no idea who Swan is, remember.)
I can't stop chuckling about this, because having an enemy she knows nothing about is very much a Charlie thing.
And also this foolish belief from Swan that one can simply settle matters with Charlie. :lol:
Swan's going to be very disappointed when Charlie is far more interested in flirting than having some kind of measuring contest.
It'll be even worse than that -- Swan has this completely erroneous image of Charlie in her mind, pretty much her own mirror image, and just meeting Charlie is going to be horribly confusing for her.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Shock wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:00 pm Swan's going to be very disappointed when Charlie is far more interested in flirting than having some kind of measuring contest.
Unless Swan challenges Charlie to an eating contest. Then the winner is the restaurant owner.
Unless it's some form of buffet, in which case I suspect some poor business owner is going broke soon.
Davies wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:19 am It'll be even worse than that -- Swan has this completely erroneous image of Charlie in her mind, pretty much her own mirror image, and just meeting Charlie is going to be horribly confusing for her.
Oh dear, Swan is in for quite the shock :lol:
Davies

Post by Davies »

Character concept by RainOnTheSun.

Johnny Janosz

Johnny had a terribly unpleasant childhood, and nobody to talk to in order to make it easier. So he talked to himself, or at least, he talked to someone like himself. The other Johnny was different from him--he was stronger, and smarter, and the more Johnny talked to the other Johnny, the stronger he got. So the two Johnnys worked together until they were strong enough to get away from all the bad people who were giving them trouble, and then they moved to the big city to really make something of themselves.

A pretty vague origin, but given the milieu in which the Johnnys live their life -- that of New York's criminal underworld -- and their position within it -- as the chief agent of the Capoyabun in the city -- most people know not to ask many questions. The mobsters affiliated with the Capoyabun do their best to keep in Johnny's good graces, those not affiliated with the Capoyabun keep their attempts to put Johnny six feet under relatively discreet, and the police have no idea why this guy who talks to himself can get hardened killers dancing to his tune.

The Raven, on the other hand, has figured out that Johnny speaks for the Capoyabun, but believes that the various unusual phenomena that happen around Johnny are the activities of the man's as yet unidentified super-powered bodyguards. He hasn't yet tested this theory, instead leaving Johnny to operate in peace, because he wants the man behind the man who gives Johnny orders, whom he suspects might be the Capoyabun himself. (He's mistaken about that, too, as there are a few more levels of cut-outs between the mastermind and Johnny.)

Interestingly, thanks to his abilities, Johnny has picked up on the fact that there's a lot more 'hocus pocus stuff' happening in New York's nights, lately. He doesn't like it -- the supernatural becoming so apparent is bad for business -- and if he were to discover that an actual vampire was behind it all, Johnny would probably try to broker some sort of truce between the Capoyabun's organization and the Raven for the duration of the crisis, with the full support of his bosses, as the Capoyabun tries to break up vampiric organizations whenever possible.

Johnny Janosz -- PL 8

Abilities: STR 1 | STA 3 | AGL 1 | DEX 1 | FGT 6 | INT 1 | AWE 3 | PRE 2
Powers: "Johnny's Looking Out For Me" (Array: Perception Range Damage 8, Indirect 2, AP: Sustained Protection 5, Subtle AND Sustained Immunity 4 [critical hits, disease, poison] AND Sustained Immunity 30 (mental effects, magical damage), Limited to Half Effect), "Over There, Johnny?" (Senses 8 [accurate mental awareness, accurate mystical awareness, awareness counters illusions], Quirk [not if deafened]).
Advantages: Benefit 5 (Cipher, Crime Lord, Millionaire), Connected, Contacts, Diehard, Equipment 2, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 7, Second Chance (mind control), Takedown, Uncanny Dodge, Well-Informed.
Equipment: Heavy Pistol (Ranged Damage 4, Improved Critical)
Skills: Deception 3 (+5), Expertise: Criminal 6 (+7), Expertise: Politics 3 (+4), Expertise: Streetwise 6 (+7), Insight 3 (+6), Intimidation 12 (+14), Investigation 3 (+5), Perception 3 (+6), Persuasion 5 (+7), Sleight of Hand 3 (+4), Stealth 3 (+4), Technology 3 (+5), Vehicles 3 (+4).
Offense: Initiative +1, Unarmed +6 (Close Damage 1), Pistol +8 (Close Damage 4), Johnny Looking Out For Me -- (Perception Range Damage 8).
Defense: Dodge 6, Parry 8, Fortitude 8, Toughness 8/3, Will 8.
Totals: Abilities 36 + Powers 32 + Advantages 21 + Skills 30 + Defense 17 = 136 points
Complications: Makin' Their Way, The Only Way They Know How -- Motivation. Reputation (nutjob). Responsibility (the organization).
Last edited by Davies on Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Tomorrow: The Capoyabun.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Davies wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:41 pmJohnny Janosz
Interesting.
I'm always amused by characters with the "imaginary friend" concept, and I just love how crazy this guy would seem talking to himself all the time.
Even more fun since it must constantly lure new rivals into a false sense of security.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Scene: A warehouse somewhere in New York. CHANGELING is tied to a chair, and is of course completely unbothered by this fact. JOHNNY JANOSZ is pacing in front of her, while several HEAVIES stand around and look tough.

JOHNNY: So you see, the thing is, we don't really want to hurt you.

CHANGELING: <cheerful> I don't want to hurt you either. So can I go now?

JOHNNY: We're gonna let you go in a little while, sweetheart. Yes, Johnny, I know that the boss would probably like it better if we kept her a hostage, but she's our best way of getting a message to the Raven.

CHANGELING: <blinks> Oh. Oh! Are you like Mr. Zane?

JOHNNY: Who?

HEAVY: <impatient> Oh, this is just crazy, let's cut a piece off her and send that with the note <starts towards CHANGELING> that's what we shoulda done --

His subsequent remarks are interrupted by an invisible fist about three feet tall slamming into his chest and sending him flying backward.

JOHNNY: <very calm> Thanks, Johnny.

CHANGELING: I also thank you Johnny!

JOHNNY: Oh boy.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Davies wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:23 am Scene: A warehouse somewhere in New York. CHANGELING is tied to a chair, and is of course completely unbothered by this fact. JOHNNY JANOSZ is pacing in front of her, while several HEAVIES stand around and look tough.

JOHNNY: So you see, the thing is, we don't really want to hurt you.

CHANGELING: <cheerful> I don't want to hurt you either. So can I go now?

JOHNNY: We're gonna let you go in a little while, sweetheart. Yes, Johnny, I know that the boss would probably like it better if we kept her a hostage, but she's our best way of getting a message to the Raven.

CHANGELING: <blinks> Oh. Oh! Are you like Mr. Zane?

JOHNNY: Who?

HEAVY: <impatient> Oh, this is just crazy, let's cut a piece off her and send that with the note <starts towards CHANGELING> that's what we shoulda done --

His subsequent remarks are interrupted by an invisible fist about three feet tall slamming into his chest and sending him flying backward.

JOHNNY: <very calm> Thanks, Johnny.

CHANGELING: I also thank you Johnny!

JOHNNY: Oh boy.
:lol: :lol:
Davies

Post by Davies »

The Capoyabun

The rumors first began to circulate in the early years of the current century, growing harder to ignore with each passing year. The claim that many of the leaders of organized crime answered to a common master was an old one -- at certain times, and in certain places, it had even been true. But the breadth of the rumors, stretching from coast to coast in the United States and Canada, with similar accounts arising in Europe and Asia, was certainly new. Eventually, the claims earned their own file designation -- as they pertained to both Sicilian and Japanese organized crime, the hypothetical unifying figure was dubbed the Capo-Oyabun, and eventually, Capoyabun.

Not until 2008 did some definitive evidence of the existence of the Capoyabun's syndicate come to light, when a former member of the Freedom City's mob turned state's evidence in exchange for protection, telling the story of how the gang war in the city had been ended when something dubbed the Midnight Syndicate had come to the assistance of Don Tonifanni to end the struggle, and that the Don now owed allegiance to this syndicate. The witness had evidence and showed it to the police, but it all disappeared immediately after the witness vanished from police custody despite the presence of the Arsenal of Democracy, temporarily loaned to the FBI, guarding the witness' safe house.

Speculation about the identity of the Capoyabun has run rampant ever since. Is he an alternate identity employed by some better known supervillain, or an agent thereof? Is he the head of some extraterrestrial criminal cartel, taking command of Earth's criminal activities as part of, or as prelude to, an invasion? Is he perhaps a god of crime? Is there even truly such an individual, or is the Midnight Syndicate ruled by a senate of criminals rather than a dictator?

All wrong. The man that the legal authorities have failed to identify, much less capture, is by all standards just that -- an ordinary man, not transhuman, metahuman or inhuman.

Arthur Hobbes, born in the late 1960s, was raised in a wealthy Chicago family; he was rarely denied anything he wanted and everyone loved him. He was recognized as a gifted intellect early in life, and was taught by private tutors who were supposed to nurture his gifts. His life followed a fairly normal course until the age of twelve, when his father was arrested for insider trading. Although this saddened Arthur, it fascinated him even more. He had never been exposed to anything as sordid as crime, and it interested him intensely.

This wasn't just a passing phase, as his mother and step-father hoped. The more he read, the more he became obsessed with crime. By his fifteenth birthday, he had formed the idea of establishing a global criminal empire, with himself as its emperor. His studies showed him that although such a conspiracy did not as yet exist, it had been attempted before, and so the seeds were there, if they could only be properly grown and cultivated. As soon as he seriously began to consider these ideas, he began to hide his criminal studies, so that his parents would think that he had "returned to normal." After he turned eighteen, Arthur poisoned them for his inheritance.

His initial idea was to rise as high as possible in an extant criminal organization, and from that position of power begin to unite other organizations under his banner. However, Arthur's investigation of the Chicago outfit uncovered the fact that the overwhelming majority of its leaders were under the domination, in one form or another, of vampires. While he had no moral objections to vampirism, he rather enjoyed the sensation of the sun on his skin and so had no interest in becoming one, and certainly none of serving one. The only thing to do, then, was to create a separate criminal organization and take control of other groups by gaining influence over them.

Three years later, with his new organization doing rather well, he was contacted by agents of the notorious Dr. Destroyer and somewhat bluntly informed that his group was now part of Destroyer's much larger organization. Unfazed by this development, Arthur agreed to these terms and went to work for the supervillain. He rose quickly in Destroyer's service, and soon was running the entire 'criminal' wing of the enterprise. In the process, he learned that the majority of Destroyer's agents came from the isolated valley of Javangari in India, and worshipped the Destroyer as an incarnation of Shiva. He filed that fact away for later use, careful to seem loyal to his new master in all ways.

In 1993, his patience paid off when Destroyer met his end. Arthur seized the opportunity to reveal to the Javangaris that the Destroyer spirit had, of his own choosing, withdrawn for a time from the mortal sphere, but that he would be watching as his faithful followers conquered the world in his name, that he might reign over it. They bought it. Before his thirtieth birthday, Arthur Hobbes was in command of the vast fortune, advanced weaponry, and armies of one of the world's mightiest supervillains, and he began to shape the Destroyer's organization into a more covert and criminal-oriented direction.

Since then, the power and influence of the Capoyabun -- a name he didn't choose, but genially accepts -- has grown even greater. His first major success, in his opinion, was taking over the organized crime of Freedom City. If his orgranization can operate in the same city as the most noteworthy superheroes on Earth, he must be doing something right. He has also known setbacks. His ability to operate in Eastern Asia outside of Japan is very limited as a result of Doctor Sin's activities, and the two masterminds are dueling for control of crime in India's cities. Much to his annoyance, his new power has also availed him not against the vampire lords of Chicago.

Perhaps his greatest failing, however, is that he underestimates the influence of the Labyrinth on his organization. If the two groups ever went to war, the Midnight Syndicate would be hurt (though not crippled) by the Labyrinth's infiltrators, who fortunately have never been able to penetrate the operational security of the valley of Javangari. Another problem is the way that he believes that he will be easily able to seize control of the extraterrestrial organized crime syndicate Voskhone, which he views as just another ethnic mafia. He is in for some very unpleasant surprises.

The Capoyabun -- PL 12

Abilities: STR 3 | STA 3 | AGL 2 | DEX 5 | FGT 11 | INT 7 | AWE 8 | PRE 6
Powers: Befuddling Lie (Selective Auditory Perception Area Affliction 12 [Resisted and Overcome by Will; Entranced, Stunned, Unaware], Subtle), Master Plan (Variable 5, Affects Others and Self, Free Action, Slow)*, Quick Wits (Quickness 3, Limited to Mental), Situational Awareness (Senses 1 [danger sense]), Unfazeable (Immunity 5 [interaction skills]).
Advantages: Assessment, Benefit 6 (Crime Lord, Billionaire), Connected, Contacts, Defensive Roll 3, Equipment X, Improved Defense, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Improvised Tools, Languages 5, Leadership, Minions X, Ranged Attack 6, Seize Initiative, Taunt, Uncanny Dodge.
Skills: Acrobatics 4 (+6), Athletics 5 (+8), Deception 12 (+18), Expertise: Criminal 15 (+22), Expertise: High Society 8 (+15), Expertise: Streetwise 15 (+22), Insight 12 (+20), Intimidation 10 (+16), Investigation 12 (+19), Perception 10 (+18), Persuasion 12 (+18), Sleight of Hand 12 (+17), Stealth 12 (+14), Technology 10 (+17), Vehicles 4 (+9).
Offense: Initiative +6, Unarmed +11 (Close Damage 3), Befuddling Lie -- (Perception Area Will 12).
Defense: Dodge 9, Parry 11, Fortitude 8, Toughness 7/3, Will 16.
Totals: Abilities 90 + Powers 90 + Advantages 31 + Skills 47 + Defenses 20 = 278 points
Complications: Power--Motivation. Secret Identity.

* Essentially, what this means is that the Capoyabun can assign up to 25 points of traits to himself or his agents as a Free Action, but once those traits are assigned they can't be reassigned until at least a few days pass.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Neil Prophet
Aka Science Boy

Nobody calls me thaaaaat!

The youngest member of the descendants of the heroic scientist, surgeon and explorer Doc Prophet is also the most determined to live up to his great-grandfather's legacy as a man of science. While his grandfather and aunt and uncle all continued (and in the latter cases continue) the Prophet legacy of adventure, Neil intends to pursue a career of invention and scientific research ... once they get around to letting him go for the first of his doctorates, at least. For some reason, the fact that he'd managed to achieve a Master's degree in astrophysics before he turned twelve made some of his advisors a little uncomfortable, and they suggested that he take a sabbatical and experience the world a bit before diving back into the laboratory to pursue his next goal.

While somewhat mystified by this, Neil followed this advice, picked up a teaching certificate and got a job as a science teacher at Philo Vance High School in Mystery, New Hampshire. His willingness to demonstrate just what can be done with real science, beyond what he teaches in class, has made him a rather popular educator. In the process, he's also gotten involved in some unusual adventures with his students, and while part of him thrills at the opportunity to study exotic phenomena at close range, his first concern is always for the safety of his young charges ... who are older than he is, and usually egging him on.

Neil has also become aware that some of his students are themselves a bit unusual, like the one with odd talents who claims to be a princess of demons, or something like that. Of course, she is no such thing, but probably just a metahuman descendant of people who became trapped in another dimension or something like that. He wishes that she didn't go about pretending to be a sorceress, as it might be a bad influence on the rest of the class, but as long as he can stand up for the methods of rationality, everything should be fine.

Neil's one real regret is that he doesn't have clearer memories of his father, who disappeared not long after he was born. He doesn't have any real interest in becoming an archaeologist like he was, but wants to believe that they'd both have the same profound respect for science and the scientifc method. He does wonder why his mother always changes the subject when they talk about him. (She does so to avoid telling her son that his father was a sword-swinging barbarian from another world who eventually traded in his sword for a shotgun and had no regard whatsoever for science.)

Neil Prophet -- PL 8

Abilities: STR -1 | STA 0 | AGL 0 | DEX 0 | FGT 2 | INT 8 | AWE 4 | PRE 3
Powers: Gifted Linguist (Comprehend Languages 2, Quirk [takes one scene to learn new language]), Gimmick Blaster (Array: Ranged Damage 8, Accurate 2, AP: Ranged Affliction 8 [Resisted by Fortitude; Dazed, Stunned, Incapacitated], Accurate 2, AP: Ranged Multiattack Damage 5, Accurate 3; Easily Removable), Force Field Belt (Array: Sustained Protection 10, Dynamic, AP: Flight 10, Platform, Dynamic, AP: Create 5; Removable).
Advantages: Accurate Attack, Beginner's Luck, Eidetic Memory, Equipment 3 (Headquarters), Improvised Tools, Inventor, Languages 3, Luck (Fortune) 3, Power Attack, Skill Mastery (Technology).
Skills: Close Combat: Unarmed 4 (+6), Expertise: Science 10 (+18), Expertise: Teacher 3 (+6), Insight 4 (+8), Ranged Combat: Gimmick Blaster 4 (+4), Perception 4 (+8), Persuasion 3 (+6), Technology 10 (+18).
Offense: Initiative +0, Unarmed +6 (Close Damage -1), Blaster Mode +8 (Ranged Damage 8), Stunner Mode +8 (Ranged Fortitude 8), Autofire Mode +10 (Ranged Multiattack Damage 5).
Defense: Dodge 6, Parry 6, Fortitude 4, Toughness 10/0, Will 12.
Totals: Abilities 32 + Powers 30 + Advantages 16 + Skills 21 + Defenses 22 = 121 points
Complications: Doing Good--Motivation. Minor. Responsibility/Friends (Students). Refusal to Believe in Magic.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Sanjurou Satsuki

There's more to Japan than Tokyo, though with a handful of exceptions like the antique sites of Kyoto, you could be forgiven for mistaking the other urban sprawls of the country for the ultimate one at the nation's heart. In one such city, in Japan's north country, there lives a young man with bleached hair named Shimada Soichiro. A college drop out, he subsists on a small bequest from his late parents and moneys raised from various part-time jobs that he does in the city. After a long day of such activities, he typically comes home to his apartment, makes himself dinner, drinks some beer, watches a small amount of television, and then goes to sleep.

At which point someone else wakes up. Her name is Sanjurou Satsuki, though she's quick to point out that she's actually only twenty-two years old. (It's a joke that only works in Japanese.) Every night she prowls among the streets of her city, thwarting petty crime when she sees it happening, but mostly focused on dealing with ghosts, psychics and wizards, all of whom are in ample supply. She's not sure (and honestly doesn't care) whether it's the place or the time that draws them out, but if they mean to cause serious harm, then someone has to deal with them, and with her powers and talents, Satsuki is well-equipped to do so.

How this unusual phenomenon began is something of a mystery. The mage Zalman, who fought alongside Satsuki when he visited Japan last year, did some investigating and developed a hypothesis. Up until 2013, Shimada Soichiro was a bright college student with everything going for him, who was noteworthy only for spending his private time playing table-top roleplaying games. Following one rather intense gaming session -- which coincided exactly with the disappearance of Earth's Master Mage -- Soichiro apparently suffered some manner of nervous collapse. He dropped out of college and moved to his new home and lifestyle. His player character in this particular session was a female psychic warrior named Sanjurou Satsuki.

Neither Soichiro nor Satsuki seem aware of the other's existence, with Zalman only discovering their connection through scrying. He believes that Satsuki is a spirit awakened to activity and physical embodiment as a reaction to the loss of the Master Mage, intended to deal with the dark rising in at least one area. There may be other, similar embodied spirits elsewhere in the world, each fighting similar battles. As yet, however, Zalman has yet to discover any other examples.

A further mystery presents itself, as well. Satsuki speaks in a very formal Japanese at nearly all times, in contrast with the rough, modern Japanese employed by Soichiro. However, at certain times when pushed to her physical and psychic limits, Satsuki undergoes a mild transformation -- her blue kimono turns an almost blinding white, and she speaks in a much less formal dialect. Upon returning to normal, she seems not to remember that anything happened, often claiming to have passed out. It is possible that there is a third person involved in the apparent dualism of these two.

Sanjurou Satsuki -- PL 10

Abilities: STR 2 | STA 2 | AGL 2 | DEX 2 | FGT 8 | INT 2 | AWE 4 | PRE 0
Powers: Parkour (Movement 5 [environmental adaptation (urban), safe fall, sure-footed 2, wall-crawling 1], Limited to urban Environments), Psychic Gifts (Array: Penetrating Damage 8, Affects Insubstantial 2, Split Attack, AP: Cumulative Affliction 8 [Resisted and Overcome by Will; Dazed, Stunned, Incapacitated], Insidious, Subtle, AP: Concealment 10, Limited to Minds, Resistable by Will AND Enhanced Defenses [Dodge 6, Parry 6]), Shielded Mind (Impervious Will 12), Telepathy (Selective Area Communication 3; Mind-Reading 8), Uncanny Senses (Senses 7 [accurate hearing, low-light vision, tracking mental awareness, tracking mystic awareness]).
Advantages: Defensive Roll 3, Evasion 2, Extraordinary Effort, Improved Initiative 2, Power Attack, Uncanny Dodge
Skills: Acrobatics 6 (+8), Athletics 6 (+8), Close Combat: Psychic 4 (+12), Expertise: Streetwise 6 (+8), Insight 6 (+10), Perception 12 (+16), Stealth 6 (+8).
Offense: Initiative +10, Unarmed +8 (Close Damage 2), Killing Touch +12 (Close Damage 8), Dreaming Touch +12 (Close Will 8).
Defenses: Dodge 14/8, Parry 14/8, Fortitude 6, Toughness 6/2, Will 14.
Totals: Abilities 44 + Powers 79 + Advantages 10 + Skills 23 + Defenses 20 = 176 points
Complications: Responsibility--Motivation. Loner.
Davies

Post by Davies »

No update tomorrow, as I will be watching Pacific Rim: Uprising and either thrilling over it or lamenting its failure to live up to the original.
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Davies wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:57 am No update tomorrow, as I will be watching Pacific Rim: Uprising and either thrilling over it or lamenting its failure to live up to the original.
From I what hear, it's more of the latter, but still apparently okay if you feel like shutting off your brain and munching down popcorn.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Voltron64 wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:52 am
Davies wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:57 am No update tomorrow, as I will be watching Pacific Rim: Uprising and either thrilling over it or lamenting its failure to live up to the original.
From I what hear, it's more of the latter, but still apparently okay if you feel like shutting off your brain and munching down popcorn.
Thanks, I don't know what I'd do without you to tell me how to feel about the movie before I've even seen it. :x
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Davies wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:40 am
Voltron64 wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:52 am
Thanks, I don't know what I'd do without you to tell me how to feel about the movie before I've even seen it. :x
Sorry, can’t read social cues.