Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab's Builds! (The Maulers! The Immortal! Dupli-Kate! Omni-Man!)

Post by Ares »

Ken wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:38 am The non-red parts of Omni-man's costume - are they supposed to be very light blue, or is the blue just shading on the white?
Light blue, at least in his original outfit.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Omni-Man

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:52 pm -And to cap off the Invinci-Builds,
Really? No Alan, Eve, Oliver, Cecil, etc?
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

I imagine the issue is
Alan - nebulous stats, paragon around Omniman's PL
Eve - All over the place
Oliver - Mark Lite
Cecil - Really just a normal man with access to lots of technology and a possible addition to teleportation ;~)
bsdigitalq

Post by bsdigitalq »

I think that's just a holdover line from when he first did the Invincible builds.
Jabroniville

Re: Omni-Man

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:59 am
Jabroniville wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:52 pm -And to cap off the Invinci-Builds,
Really? No Alan, Eve, Oliver, Cecil, etc?
Oh whoops- hah. Leftover comment I forgot to edit.
Jabroniville

Furnace

Post by Jabroniville »

FURNACE (Real Name Unknown)
Role:
Wallpaper Villain, Running Gag
Group Affiliations: Machine Head's Organization
PL 8 (133)
STRENGTH
1/8 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Deception 3 (+4)
Expertise (Criminal) 1 (+6)
Intimdiation 4 (+5)
Perception 2 (+3)
Ranged Combat (Magma) 1 (+7)
Technology 5 (+10)

Advantages:
Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Magma Body"
Magma Aura 4 [16]
Blast 9 (Feats: Improved Critical, Split 2) [21]
Immunity 6 (Heat, Fire Damage) [6]
Flight 3 (Drawbacks: Poor Manueverability) [5]

"Furnace Armour" (Flaws: Removable) [24]
Protection 6 (6)
Reach 1 (1)
Enhanced Strenght 7 (14)
Flight +4 (8)
Features 1: Removes Drawback on Flight (1)
-- (30 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Aura +6 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Blast +7 (+9 Ranged Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +2 (+8 Suit), Fortitude +4, Will +3

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)
Responsibility (Suit's Always Getting Wrecked)- And they are EXPENSIVE to make, too.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 72 / Defenses: 8 (133)

-Furnace is another throw-away Invincible villain, which is too bad, since a character like this has potential. A fire-based guy who nonetheless wears a suit of super-powered armor, he has a pretty decent look, but spends most of his time complaining when Invincible blows up his expensive suit with one punch. And he's very similar to Magmaniac, really.

-Furnace is a bit tough, because he's got TWO power-sets. The suit's hard to figure out, since it technically extinguishes his Magma Aura (he can't use it in the armour at all), boosts his Strength, AND helps him aim his otherwise poor Blasts.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 11, 2022 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Arkrite wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:46 am My take on the problem with the setting seemed to be
A) That Mark was a PL 12 character in a PL8 to PL10 world and
B) The writer didn't seem interested in doing much build up in regards to anybody but Mark

The cast could have been very interesting, the world could have fairly unique, but it seemed like the PL8 Guardians of the Globe got trotted out to face off against the higher PL threats that Mark was supposed to fight and just get decimated.
Then Mark just flys in an punches the threat.

The one time I remember them trotting out an interesting bad guy who had mind control powers they just had Mark drop bricks on him from near orbit. And, in what seems to be a reoccurring joke for this series, the character in question never mattered again in the series.

You know I honestly don't like that I'm coming across so negative, I really did enjoy this series up to a point. I just regret that it had so much unrealized potential. If it had taken some time and maybe gave more focus to side characters, or just the plots that were being set up, it probably would have been a better series.
Yeah, it's the funniest thing- I LOVED Invincible for a long time, and I honestly find it fantastic until we get into the hundreds of issues- right up until it ended, it was the first book I read in my Pull File. And yet... I often find myself going "how much better COULD this be?", as there are so many little things that annoy me about it. My list of flaws of the book is HUGE for something I enjoyed as much as this. You're not gonna find a hundred issues of a book any better than this just about anywhere (Claremont's X-Men, basically), yet I nitpick the crap out of this. It just seems bizarre that a book so full of imaginative stuff could never use a super-being more complicated that "Superman minus all the side-powers".

Yeah, the mind control guy is a good example. Or the TONS of villains who aren't even gonna earn builds here- even some in semi-prominent roles.

The best way I'd describe the supporting cast is "They're all characters who star in other books"- Black Samson, as I said, had a pretty full bio for a guy who ended up not mattering. He really FELT real- just that we didn't see most of the interesting stuff that was happening to him. It's really the mark of good world-building.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (INVINCIBLE! The Maulers! The Immortal! Dupli-Kate!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:00 pm Merged U stuff, etc., etc., Viltrumites, Daxamites, Strontians, Jab is cooler and more handsome than me, etc.
j/k :P.

Putting Invincible in a merged universe produces some interesting questions, as the Viltrumites are a pretty difficult "fit" objectively. Invincible kind of worked as a book the way it did BECAUSE Mark had no real peers, and had no one to turn to. He was unquestionably the top-tier hero on Earth, and so much revolved around him because of that. Putting him in a world of guys who match or surpass him instantly makes him less "special", and alters his narrative so much that he basically becomes a different character.

I mean, the Guardians don't become the "Invincible B-Team" when it's friggin' Batman, Wonder Woman & Superman on the squad. The Evil Invincibles are deadly, but sixteen PL 12s can't end the DC AND Marvel Earth combined the way they could to the "Image Earth" (even with Pitt, Witchblade and others defending it).

Mark & Cecil's relationship only really "works" so long as they both retain their personality aspects. Marvel's Fury isn't as dark and "my way, no matter what" as Cecil is, but similarly can be removed from his position in a way that Cecil can't. And most of the conflict of the Invincible U can come between the Mark/Cecil dynamic. Him and Nick is much too... SAFE, for things to work out differently.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Some observations about these recent builds:
* ComicVine is oddly lacking in good pics by Ryan Ottley. Like, there's almost nothing from recent years, and hardly any big pictures of the characters. Given how good his art was... it's odd. In a lot of these cases, the most informative pic on a guy is something from the Official Handbook to the Invincible Universe, which uses non-official character art.

* Determining the posting order of these has been a bit tricky. I feel the need to post Omni-Man fairly early, since he has such an effect on the entire series. Minor-league guys tend to be REALLY MINOR, so posting a day with more than a couple feels like a "cheat". But there's so many supporting characters that you have to spread out the "Big Names". I also wanted to do the earlier characters in the first part- the Mauler Twins, Doc Seismic and others are big in the early days, but don't show up so much later on. The Guardians of the Globe, mostly later characters, also needed to wait.

* Heh- posted The Beast, and almost all the comments were about Cyclops. Poor guy :). Well, I DID post him only a year or so ago for my "Defenders" set.
Doc chaos

Post by Doc chaos »

Jab, in 2e how many ranks of growth to get to 700 ft.?
Ken

Re: Furnace

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:31 am -Furnace is another throw-away Invincible villain,
What, like that Bi-Plane dude?

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:17 pm The Immortal was seen in with the Guardians of the Globe- the Justice League stand-ins, in the early days- he threw the villain Bi-Plane into space, saving people from a suicide vest he was wearing.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ken

Re: Jab's Builds! (INVINCIBLE! The Maulers! The Immortal! Dupli-Kate!)

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:43 am The Evil Invincibles are deadly, but sixteen PL 12s can't end the DC AND Marvel Earth combined the way they could to the "Image Earth" (even with Pitt, Witchblade and others defending it).
Did we see Supreme or Mighty Man fighting the Viltrumites?

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Doc chaos wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:00 am Jab, in 2e how many ranks of growth to get to 700 ft.?
Geez, I dunno. It's been way too long. I don't even remember where my 2e books are.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Doc chaos wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:00 am Jab, in 2e how many ranks of growth to get to 700 ft.?

Jabroniville

Omnipotus

Post by Jabroniville »

OMNIPOTUS
Role:
Background Villain, Mega-Threat

-Omnipotus is one of those quirky little things you get in Invincible. He's apparently a "World-Class Threat", able to easily defeat most of the Guardians of the Globe, and could take out the entire planet... but we only ever see snippets of him. Kirkman's neat like that- goofy one-offs who are SUPER-DANGEROUS, yet receive no focus. There's a big deal when Mark is off-planet, and the inadequate other heroes aren't up to the challenge, but a last-minute save from Black Samson (temporarily powered-up after his near-death experience fighting Battle Beast) knocks him back into his portal. Mark sees him during an "Angstrom Levy Attack" that sends him flying through various universes. Finally, he threatens Earth during a Mark/Dinosaurus team-up, and the villainous T-Rex actually BITES THROUGH HIS HEAD, apparently killing him once and for all.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 11, 2022 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.