Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Woodclaw

Re: Jab's Builds! (Blink! Black Tom Cassidy! Black Abbott! The Beast!)

Post by Woodclaw »

Yojimbo wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:27 pm
Ken wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:19 pm As J. Jonah Jameson ever accused Spider-Man of being a MUTANT? JJJ hates Spider-Man. He wants other people to hate Spider-Man. And it's not like the average person on the street in the MU knows that Spider-Man was bitten by a radioactive spider. And even if they did hear that, would they believe it? It sounds silly. It sounds like a cover story of a closeted MUTANT.
I don't think so. You can say a lot about JJJ (and it would all be spot-on), but for all his many and varied faults, he is not a racist. Jonah doesn't distrust Spider-Man because he might be a mutant, he distrusts Spider-Man because he's a vigilante who wears a mask.
That was one bit of really nice characterization of JJJ, the basic idea wasn't that he dislike superheroes, but rather that he disliked people worshiping superhuman, especially unregistered vigilantes, while ignoring normal people doing dangerous jobs like firefighters or soldiers. His special hatred for Spidey was more or less a personal thing.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Cybertooth

Post by Jabroniville »

CYBERTOOTH (Yen Hsieh)
Created By:
Roy & Dann Thomas, David Ross
First Appearance: The Avengers West Coast #71 (May 1991)
Role: Scrapper
Group Affiliations: The Pacific Overlords
PL 8 (71)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+7)
Insight 2 (+2)
Intimidation 8 (+8)
Investigation 3 (+3)
Perception 4 (+4)
Stealth 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Ranged Attack, Startle

Powers:
"Lifestone-Given Powers: Cybernetic Teeth & Jaws"
Strength-Damage +6 (Feats: Improved Critical, Penetrating 5) [12]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Teeth +6 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +2

Complications:
Prejudice (Freak)- Cybertooth cannot pass for an ordinary human with his giant maw of shark-teeth.

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 12 / Defenses: 7 (71)

-This guy would totally have been iconic if he'd debuted in the right X-Book. Instead, he's forgotten. Granted, he would have become iconic as being REALLY FREAKING STUPID, but still. Jawbreaker's pretty bad, and so are the rest of the Pacific Overlords, but CYBERTOOTH? He even looks ridiculous- a guy with green shades and a humongous shark-toothed grin? OK, I guess it'd be scary (especially in real life), but the name alone makes him silly.

-He has the fewest power showings out of the team thanks to the age-old problem of "Cutting Attack" guys in comics- you can almost NEVER SHOW THEM HITTING WITH THEIR POWER, because then the heroes would be savagely injured or bleeding. Only against Wolverine or Deadpool would this guy be half-decent, but he's fighting The Avengers. Therefore, he never gets to actually BITE anyone- he chomps down on a statue to prove how tough he is, threatens to decapitate an unconscious Scarlet Witch, and that's it, aside from a particularly-embarrassing event where he failed to do any kind of damage to Wonder Man at all. Sadly, I've never seen him actually fight in anything other than background panels- I have an issue where he looms threateningly, and another where he's part of the Overlords in a big mass-fight (doing some vague stuff with Mockingbird behind the real action), but doesn't really do anything (cuz y'know, if he bit someone... fight's over).

-As it stands, he's another super-limited melee fighter guy with a devastatingly hardcore attack that's really inaccurate, making him a PL 7.5 loser. He's got a handful of options in combat, but he's not taking out any metahumans one-on-one. His threat to kill Scarlet Witch was his biggest move.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 11, 2022 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Typhoon

Post by Jabroniville »

I could never figure out what those things on his vest were supposed to be- it's like Dragons, but they're so scribbled-on that I mistook them for weird externalized-internal organs or something.

TAIFU/TYPHOON (Toshio Sasaki)
Created By:
Roy & Dann Thomas, Paul Ryan
First Appearance: The Avengers West Coast #69 (April 1991)
Role: Wind Maker, Villains Against His Will
PL 8 (93)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 4 (+5)
Perception 4 (+6)
Persuasion 2 (+3)
Vehicles 4 (+6)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Lifestone-Given Powers: Human Typhoon"
"Typhoon" Blast 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Cylindar) (24) -- [31]
  • AE: "Wind Funnels" Move Object 8 (16)
  • AE: "Wind Screen" Deflect 8 (Extras: Ranged) (16)
  • AE: "Wind Storm" Affliction 8 (Strength; Hindered & Vulnerable/Prone & Defenseless) (Extras: Extra Condition, Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Instant Recovery, Limited Degree) (8)
  • AE: "Tornado" Blast 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (24)
  • AE: "Whirling Winds" Damage 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable) (16)
  • AE: "Wind Gust" Damage 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (16)
  • AE: "Wind" Features: Extinguish Flames, Thrown Objects Auto-Miss, -4 Ranged Attacks
Flight 6 (120 mph) [12]

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Wind Area Attacks +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Wind Storm +8 Area (+8 Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +2, Fortitude +3, Will +4

Complications:
Relationship (Family)- Taifu's wife and son have been mutated and turned into Dr. Demonicus' super-villains, and Taifu strives to free them.

Total: Abilities: 30 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 42 / Defenses: 10 (93)

-Taifu (a.k.a. Typhoon) only showed up for a brief bit, being an innocent man turned into a super-powered Overlord by Demonicus. He quickly overcame his master and refused to serve him, got trussed up, then nearly killed by Living Lightning (who was working with Demonicus temporarily, if accidentally), until he, his wife and his son were all freed as a gesture of good will by the Mad Doctor upon the rise of Demonica to the surface. He never appeared again.

-Taifu's your everyday low-pointed Elemental guy, focusing on Area Effects that make him a PL 8, but very limited, and very vulnerable to many attacks (+2 Toughness and his saves are +3-4 across the board- VERY weak once someone gets through his attacks- most of his comic appearances feature him throwing out some impressive damage, then being one-shotted by another character- Kuroko, Living Lightning, etc.). It's a bit curious to see some regular ol' Japanese guy who is suddenly a pretty good fighter, so I kept his melee stats low- it always seemed odd to me that some generic nobody can gain super-powers and magically become skilled combatants.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 11, 2022 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Pele

Post by Jabroniville »

Cuz if there's one things comics loves to re-use- it's an iconic cover.

PELE (Michi Sasaki)
Created By:
Roy & Dann Thomas, Tom Morgan
Role: Fire Elemental, Villain Against Her Will
PL 8 (98)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Persuasion 3 (+4)
Intimidation 6 (+8)
Expertise (Theology & Philosophy) 6 (+6)
Perception 3 (+4)
Ranged Combat (Fire) 4 (+7)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Power Attack, Ranged Attack

Powers:
"Lifestone-Given Powers: Goddess of Fire"
Fire Blast 9 (18) -- [22]
  • AE: "Fire Bolt" Damage 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (16)
  • AE: "Fire Wave" Damage 8 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (16)
  • AE: "Flame Burst" Damage 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (16)
  • AE: "Boosted Aura" Flame Aura +4 (16)
Flame Aura 4 [16]
Immunity 6 (Fire Damage, Heat) [6]
Flight 6 (120 mph) [12]

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Fire Blast +8 (+9 Ranged Damage, DC 24)
Fire Area Attacks +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Flame Aura +4 (+4-8 Damage, DC 19-23)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +2, Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
Relationship (Family)

Total: Abilities: 26 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 46 / Defenses: 12 (98)

-Pele, the wife of the Taifu and mother of The Big One, is your standard Flying Blaster-type Elementalist, and based off of the comics (where she messes with Hawkeye & Spider-Woman, but loses, alongside a mind-controlled Sunfire), she's a PL 8 Blaster who's a bit of a better fighter than her husband Toshi/Typhoon turned out to be. Played up as some kind of Hawai'ian Fire Goddess, she did some stuff, but overcame mind control and eventually just left with her husband (she & Sunfire tangled with Hawkeye, Spider-Woman II & Namor). She'd be decent if she was more well-rounded, but she's just a basic PL 8 Jobber. The most notable thing is the cover debuting her, which openly mimicked the infamous debut of Jean Grey as The Phoenix.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 11, 2022 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Davies

Re: AIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:52 am Image
I'd put the "wouldn't it be nice if the world was Cadbury" commercial as a bit more disturbing, but, yeah, this was bad.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

HalloweenJack wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:16 pm I can honestly say I used Axe (and to a lesser extent....Tag) in college and....it worked.

not like the commercials would have you believe, but it didn't hurt. I had more than one conqu----er.....young lady....tell me that I smelled really nice. One in particular (a goth ex of mine) acted like a cat in heat when she smelled Axe on me....though I wonder if it was due to the spray working or if that's just how she thought it should work.

All the same, Axe gave me some nice evenings in college.

The Chocolate Man may seem a monster, but he's not. He's a hero. Maybe not the one we deserve but the one we....well you know where this going
It's called Lynx here in Britain with the ads promoting 'The 'Lynx effect', I don't think it ever reached point where people thought it's 'only used by douche-bags' it's mainly just seen as something for teenagers.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Dr. Demonicus

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:51 pm Image

DOCTOR DEMONICUS (Dr. Douglas Birely)
Created By:
Doug Moench & Tom Sutton
First Appearance: Godzilla #4 (Nov. 1977)
Role: Mad Scientist, Evil Geneticist
The thing I loved about Dr. Demonicus (that is such an awesome Silver Age comic book name) is that he basically went "You know, I live in a superhero universe. I have a piece of radioactive meteor fragment. This is clearly the part of my origin story where I get exposed to this meteor and gain superpowers". And 9 times out of 10, it would have worked. But he's the ONE TIME where the universe decided to behave somewhat like the real world, and instead of superpowers, radiation gave him deformities and cancer. It's like the one time a guy in Marvel tried to be genre savvy the universe went "NOPE! CANCER TIME!"

I kind of wish something similar would happen to Gwen-pool.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

The Big One

Post by Jabroniville »

THE BIG ONE (Kenjiro Sasaki)
Created By:
Role: Giant Baby
PL 8 (94)
STRENGTH
13 STAMINA 11 AGILITY -2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -3 AWARENESS -3 PRESENCE -3

Skills:
Intimidation 8 (+5, +13 Size)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Power Attack

Powers:
"Lifestone-Given Powers: Weighs Two Tons; Is Giant Baby"
Growth 6 (Str & Sta +6, +6 Mass, +3 Intimidation, -3 Dodge/Parry, -6 Stealth) -- (18 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [13]
Protection 3 (Extras: Impervious 9) [12]

"Strength Feats" (Alt-Effects of Strength-Damage) [2]
  • AE: "Groundstrike" Affliction 10 (Dodge; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery, Limited to Grounded Targets) Linked to Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (Flaws: Limited to Objects) (12.5)
  • AE: "Groundstrike" Affliction 10 (Dodge; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery, Limited to Grounded Targets) Linked to Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited to Objects) (12.5)
Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Groundstrikes +10 Area (+10 Affliction & Damage, DC 20 & 25)
Initiative -2

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +14 (+5 Impervious), Fortitude +11, Will +0

Complications:
Disabled (Infant)- The Big One cannot speak, and tends to throw temper tantrums. He also can't get up when knocked over.

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 27 / Defenses: 13 (94)

-The Big One is easily one of the more bizarre concepts I've seen used as a threat in comic books. Dr. Demonicus captured a Japanese family on their boat, and decided to modify all of them to become superpowered champions. OK, that's classic Mad Scientist stuff. But transforming their BABY? That's it's OWN level of screwed-up. So the newly-rechristened Big One fought the West Coast Avengers for a bit, before he started crying, revealing that he was just an infant that resembled a ton-ton super-heavyweight monster (Spider-Woman II & Scarlet Witch, the only two mothers there, were the only ones who knew how to deal with him). He was eventually cured by Demonicus as a good-will gesture to get his own country, and that was that.

-The Big One is PL 10, but only barely (he fought off the Avengers for a while, but wouldn't have won), having all the requisite stuff a Powerhouse needs, but his size makes him a bit clumsier (the gang actually defeated him by PUSHING HIM OVER, because his comparatively-tiny arms and legs couldn't lift his bulk). He's hard to hurt, but like most big-men, doesn't make his PL defensively.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 11, 2022 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

M4C8 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:37 am
HalloweenJack wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:16 pm I can honestly say I used Axe (and to a lesser extent....Tag) in college and....it worked.

not like the commercials would have you believe, but it didn't hurt. I had more than one conqu----er.....young lady....tell me that I smelled really nice. One in particular (a goth ex of mine) acted like a cat in heat when she smelled Axe on me....though I wonder if it was due to the spray working or if that's just how she thought it should work.

The Chocolate Man may seem a monster, but he's not. He's a hero. Maybe not the one we deserve but the one we....well you know where this going
It's called Lynx here in Britain with the ads promoting 'The 'Lynx effect', I don't think it ever reached point where people thought it's 'only used by douche-bags' it's mainly just seen as something for teenagers.
It kind of is a mix of both- it's stereotyped as "something teens use", and anyone over the age of 18 using it is seen as a douchebag. However...
HalloweenJack wrote:I can honestly say I used Axe (and to a lesser extent....Tag) in college and....it worked.

I've also heard many women say they liked it. A co-worker once complimented me for mine, an ex once was all "Are you buying AXE?" and went to recommend certain kinds, and a friend's gf was totally in love with the stuff as well. It was popular for a reason.

I think it just became one of those fad things. I hardly see anyone buy it anymore. Funnily enough, I think most people switched to Old Spice... in part because of THEIR funny commercials!
Jabroniville

Morgan Kain

Post by Jabroniville »

MORGAN KAIN
Created By:
Role: Machine Controller
PL 8 (115), PL 10 (115) to Machines
STRENGTH
0/12 STAMINA 1/13 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Expertise (Science) 4 (+8)
Insight 3 (+4)
Intimidation 4 (+4, +12 Size)
Investigation 3 (+4)
Perception 4 (+5)
Technology 6 (+10)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Lifestone-Given Powers: Control Over Machines & Growth"
Growth 12 (Str & Sta +12, +12 Mass, +6 Intimidation, -6 Dodge/Parry, +1 Speed, -12 Stealth) -- (48 feet) [25]
Growth +4 (+16 Mass, +8 Intimidation, -8 Dodge/Parry, +2 Speed, -16 Stealth) -- (96 feet) (Flaws: Limited to Non-Physical Increases) [4]

"Machine Control" Affliction 10 (Tech Skill of Designer; Entranced/Compelled/Controlled) (Extras: Perception Range +2, Cumulative) (Flaws: Limited to Machines) [30]
Senses 4 (Detect Machines- Ranged 2, Acute) [4]

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Giant Size +4 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +1, Fortitude +2, Will +3
"Giant Size" Dodge +0 (DC 10), Parry +0 (DC 10), Toughness +13, Fortitude +14, Will +3

Complications:
Motivation (Demonicus' Will)

Total: Abilities: 28 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 63 / Defenses: 10 (115)

-Kain's a REALLY bizarre one- not in appearance (he's just a guy in a speed-suit with nails in his head... pretty normal for this crew, you see), but in powers- who else combines Machine Animation with GROWTH? And not minor growth either- this guy jumps up to 100 feet, and can ALSO control passing airplanes and stuff like that. A very bizarre mix of powers, making him the most effective of his group thus far. His Animation power is enough to control things like Klaw's Sound-Blaster Claw as well as full-size jets. He was one of the only members of his team smart enough to figure out that Demonicus was NUTS, but was mind-controlled into servitude anyways, which ultimately killed him when Demonica collapsed. Sure, Dr. D turned up alive, but he was a RECURRING VILLAIN. THIS batch of losers is likely only known to Roy & Dann Thomas, their creators, and likely no other writers or artists. So we'll never see the likes of these losers again :).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 11, 2022 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Kuroko

Post by Jabroniville »

KUROKO, THE DARK ONE (Aya Komatsu)
Created By:
Roy & Dann Thomas, Paul Ryan
First Appearance: The Avengers West Coast #69 (April 1991)
Role: Lady Ninja, Invisible Fighter
PL 8 (104)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 5 (+10)
Deception 4 (+6)
Insight 2 (+4)
Investigation 3 (+5)
Perception 6 (+8)
Persuasion 4 (+6)
Sleight of Hand 4 (+8)
Stealth 6 (+11)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Defensive Attack, Equipment (Bo Staff +2- Reach 2, Split), Improved Critical (Bo Staff), Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Trip, Ranged Attack, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Lifestone-Given Powers: Invisibility"
Concealment 2 (Visuals) [4]

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Bo Staff +11 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Relationship (Doctor Demonicus)- Kuroko is in love with the Mad Doctor, despite his growing insanity.

Total: Abilities: 60 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 4 / Defenses: 12 (104)

-Kuroko was the "Team Ninja", being a boring design of a Japanese chick in a black onesie who smacked people with a bo staff while they couldn't see her. She followed Dr. Demonicus around like a lovesick puppy most of the time, though she once betrayed him to The Avengers, but eventually stuck with him after their mind-control boxes were removed, such was her toadying. Pretty much a perfect example of a low-end Stealth/Martial Artist villain build, lacking some well-roundedness. She was a royal pain to several Avengers in the Pacific Overlords stories, but usually didn't get more than a couple shots in before someone (Typhoon once, USAgent another) drilled her upside the head and ended the fight. She's accurate and hard to hit (especially when invisible, which is always amazingly cheap given how effective it would be), but she doesn't do a lot of damage, and she goes down with comparatively little punishment. Not a bad team player, though.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 11, 2022 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Irezumi

Post by Jabroniville »

IREZUMI (Kayama Inouye, aka Tattoo)
Created By:
First Appearance: The Avengers West Coast #72 (July 1991)
Role: Odd-Powered Guy, Yakuza Villain
PL 10 (136)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+6)
Athletics 2 (+5)
Deception 3 (+4)
Intimidation 5 (+6)
Expertise (Yakuza) 6 (+6)
Perception 3 (+3)
Stealth 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Essence Blast) 2, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 3

Powers:
"Lifestone-Given Powers: Tattoo-Based Essence Reflection"
Power Drawbacks: Standard Action -2, Requires New Action For Each Opponent [-3]

Protection 8 (Extras: Impervious 11) (Flaws: Limited to One Opponent At a Time) [11]
"Paralysis" Affliction 8 (Fort; Fatigued/Stunned/Paralyzed) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst, Sustained +2) [32]
"Reflecting Essence" Blast 13 (Feats: Penetrating 10) (Flaws: Requires Absorbing An Attack) (23) -- [24]
  • AE: "Reflecting Multiple Essences" Blast 10 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone, Penetrating 10) (Flaws: Requires Absorbing An Attack) (20)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Paralysis +8 Area (+8 Affliction, DC 18)
Essense Reflection +6 (+13 Ranged Damage, DC 28)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4 (+12 Stolen Essences), Fortitude +5, Will +3

Complications:
Prejudice (Yakuza)- Japanese Society has a large prejudice against Tattoos, owing to its history with the Yakuza gangs- Irezumi's full-body tattoos and snake-facial tattoo will get him odd looks even in other countries.
Power Loss (Double or Triple the Essence)- Irezumi's Blast has limits- he can only double or triple the intensity of the attack initially lodged against him- if someone were to attack him with puny attacks, he'd be able to do little damage in return.

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 64 / Defenses: 9 (136)

-Irezumi is probably my favourite of the Pacific Overlords, by virtue of his totally unique power. His name means "Tattoo" in English (which he helpfully describes to the heroes, pre-asskicking, because villains are often polite and informative that way- he even describes his powers to them! Of course, he IS Japanese...), and he looks like a Yakuza gangster, with tattoos covering his entire body. This probably doesn't make him any given artist's favourite guy to draw- I mean, drawing ONE guy is bad enough, but then having to learn to draw tigers, snakes, women & dragons all on his body, in the exact same poses and positions on his anatomy? I mean, that scares the CRAP out of me as an artist- there's a reason almost no comic book characters EVER have had tattoos, despite their recurrence in real life these days. He uses these tattoos to "Capture" the life essences of the people he's fighting- their images suddenly appear on his chest in a cool visual. This allows him to reflect attacks back at his aggressors, or (in a later issue) slow people down as he steals their Essence away. He appeared and died with the rest of the Overlords, but this is the one guy on this team of Morts I wouldn't mind seeing coming back. I'm sure the artist would kill the writer for suggesting it, though.

-There are a LOT of ways to potentially build this power- advanced Deflect, Protection with the Reflection Extra (in this case, that's sorta what he's doing- combining invulnerability with a Reflective Blast), etc., but I ended up going with three different powers at once. All of them are based off of his Tattoos, and he can apparently only really do this to two people at once, maximum. After taking a Standard Action to shift his Tattoos to his present target(s), he can do one of three things: On one level, he can slow people down and Paralyze them by stealing their image (and this is likely independent of his other powers, since it's Sustained). Then he can protect himself from their attacks (he implies he's immune to stuff, though I only ever saw him no-sell Iron Man & Wasp's Blasts- likely Tigra's claws, had she attacked him as well) to a high degree. THEN he can take the energy from their attacks, double (or perhaps triple it), and throw 'em straight back.

-This is rather complicated set-up (especially for a nobody), but I think this works better than the other options- he's not Reflecting the attacks, because it's stated that he's doing MORE damage than the original hits (also, Deflect doesn't work against Area or Perception stuff, and Irezumi's powers probably would). I chose not to go with the "Free Action" part of Deflect/Reflection either, because he seemed to be pretty chatty between attack/response, and had to consciously toss the attacks back at Iron Man & Wasp, so I don't think it's a near-automatic thing. Granted it's tough to say because he only used the power ONCE (the other time he tried, Scarlet Witch cancelled both their powers out and it turned into a physical fight- Spider-Woman did a run-in and took him out). I went with simple Protection to show how he's fairly immune to the attacks of others- I'm assuming that he has limits and isn't just totally invincible to everything, as that's a REALLY high Immunity To Everything with a Limit on it (80 points!).

-Despite this scary amount of power, its weaknesses certainly caused him some pain in battle, as he's focused on U.S. Agent, but then Morning Star hits him. When he does it to Morning Star, KLAW hits him. He's totally vulnerable to people he's not actively targetted, and he's not that elite a fighter without his powers- Scarlet Witch tossed him, and when he recovered by grabbing her cape, Julia Carpenter easily beat him (granted, she's like Class 10 in Strength).
Jabroniville

The Bogatyri

Post by Jabroniville »

THE BOGATYRI:
-The Bogatyri debuted in Avengers West Coast, appearing as a band of pro-Communist agents in a world where Communism was fading. Desiring to start a new Cold War, they attack a military installation, soon defeating both U.S. Agent and Wolverine, who are there seperately. Wonder Man and the Scarlet Witch get involved, and all four heroes manage to destroy the planet the Bogatyri were planning on using- the villains escape.

-The Bogatyri next reform having "reconciled" with the new Russian government, becoming protectors of the Russian Federation. However, their teammate Morning Star instead quit, becoming a mercenary because she couldn't get past her anti-Western views. She and Ulysses Klaw then appear as part of Doctor Demonicus's agents- the Pacific Overlords- but she is quickly shocked and appalled by the insanity of the super-villain.

-None of these three characters have appeared since Zvezda's little bit of story. And in a bit that eluded me and made me go "oh, duh", they're mentioned on Marvunapp to be pastiches of the Fantastic Four. I mean, I figured Volkh pretty easily (same powers & origin as Mr. Fantastic!), but the other three were a tad more loose, and I wasn't really considering the group as a whole.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 11, 2022 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Shock wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:41 pm So, how spoilery are the Invincible builds going to be? Because it's one of the books I always wait for trades on and I want to know whether I'm going to be able to read these or not.
Okay, so looking at things, you can probably read the builds just fine, but anything dealing with the Viltrumites (especially Mark, Thragg, Nolan & Anissa), plus other major characters will have spoilers in the ending parts of the bios.
Jabroniville

Morning Star

Post by Jabroniville »

MORNING STAR (Marya Meshkov, aka Zvezda Dennista)
Created By:
First Appearance: The Avengers West Coast #87 (Oct. 1992)
Role: Blaster, Shades-Of-Grey Character
Group Affiliations: The Pacific Overlords, The Bogatyri
PL 9 (121)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Deception 4 (+5)
Expertise (History) 6 (+7)
Expertise (Science) 6 (+7)
Insight 4 (+6)
Intimidation 4 (+5)
Perception 3 (+5)
Persuasion 3 (+4)

Advantages:
Favored Environment (Airborne), Improved Critical (Blasts), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5

Powers:
"Radiation Blasts"
Blast 10 (Feats: Split, Penetrating 5) (26) -- [28]
  • AE: Damage 9 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (18)
  • AE: Dazzle Visuals 10 (20)
Immunity 6 (Aging, Radiation Damage) [6]
Flight 6 (120 mph) [12]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Blasts +8 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Cone Area +9 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Soviet Russia)- Marya was a loyal Communist, and has little to fight for now that her government has fallen.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 44 / Defenses: 12 (121)

-Morning Star is a very little-known character who has even fewer AWC issues to her name than the rest of the Overlords. A geologist who touched some meteorites at the Tunguska Event explosion in 1908 Russia (a real thing that demolished an entire forest), she gained superhuman powers (and apparently an immunity to aging) and became kind of a mercenary. A pro-Communist character in an era where Communism was dying, she viewed herself as a bit of a relic (looks even moreso 20 years later), and joined up with the Overlords on Demonica once it rose out of the ocean. Figuring out Demonicus was a demon-worshipping loon, she betrayed him to the Avengers, and helped save the day. She flirted with U.S. Agent before departing, but this was the only arc she ever got- she was dropped soon after.

-Morning Star is a standard PL 9 Blaster with a PL 8's points expenditure, having few Alt-Effects to her name, but a fair bit of power (+9 Penetrating Damage- enough to KO Wonder Man with a Power Attack... but as I've stated often, Simon's a bit of a pussy considering his supposed high-level), and the benefits of age (Awareness, Intelligence, History ranks).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 11, 2022 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.