World of Freedom 3.2 - Whatever Comes To Mind

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Davies

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - Horus! Hercules! The Ultima! Sentinels of Emeraldias! Hero High Revised!

Post by Davies »

Fatal Attraction

Daisy Gibbons is quite sure that it's everyone else's fault that things have worked out this way. After all, she was brought to Claremont Academy to learn how to use her powers, right? Well, if one's powers are to make other people love one, then there's really nothing that one can do with them except to make people love one and do one's bidding, now is there? So by turning the as much of the faculty as possible into her love-slaves as possible, she was practicing her powers, and when they realized what she was doing -- as they never would have, without the interference of that savage Zarana -- they should have given her some sort of commendation.

Instead, she was expelled, and her efforts to transfer to some more appropriate school where savages would be unable to bring her down were thwarted. And they had the utter gall to accuse her of violating people. Her! She hadn't asked for any of this, she was the true victim here! Those people had been given the supreme gift of believing that she loved them, when she honestly didn't think any of them were fit to breathe the same air as she did!

All right. If things were going to go this way, then she was going to just have to fund her rise to the celebrity status she deserved the hard way. She used the investigative skills they'd taught her at Claremont -- which she'd only ever intended to use to research roles -- in order to find out the schedules for an armored car delivery, and then turned one of the drivers into her puppet. Unfortunately, the other driver managed to resist her wiles, and he was actually pulling a gun on her! It was simple self-defense, the way that she pushed her powers to their utmost to drive him crazy with love in a way that left him lying on the floor in a puddle of his drool.

And then Daisy stared down at the work of her mind as her love sick pawn asked her what he ought to do. She turned to look at him and said, quite calmly, "The same thing." A moment later, there were two collapsed men on the ground. She didn't bother to take the money after all. Why had she ever imagined that she needed it in the first place?

Fatal Attraction has worked with a variety of other supervillains, most notably the Clique and Janus. These partnerships never end well, as she is far more dedicated to the means of her crimes than the ends. She has frequently sought means to enhance her powers so as to be able to inflict extreme emotional states on large numbers of people, without success so far. While she still could put a target under an emotional domination, with a bit of effort, she prefers to accomplish this through simple conversation, reserving her powers for the dark joy she feels when someone is reduced to a helpless puddle in front of her.

One day, the entire world will love her and despair.

Fatal Attraction -- PL9

Abilities: STR 0 | STA 0 | AGL 1 | DEX 1 | FGT 2 | INT 2 | AWE 4 | PRE 12/6
Powers: Boosted Beauty (Enhanced Presence 6, Fades), Emotional Assault (Progressive Perception Ranged Affliction 9 [Resisted by Will; Impaired, Disabled, Incapacitated], Insidious, Subtle, Variable Descriptor [Emotions]).
Advantages: Attractive 2, Beginner's Luck, Daze (Deception), Defensive Roll 3, Fascinate (Deception), Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Initiative 2, Inspire 2, Languages 4, Luck 5 (Fortune), Redirect, Uncanny Dodge.
Skills: Deception 7 (+19/+13), Expertise: Streetwise 8 (+10), Intimidation 7 (+19/+13), Investigation 4 (+6), Perception 6 (+10), Persuasion 6 (+18/+12), Sleight of Hand 8 (+9), Stealth 6 (+7), Technology 5 (+7), Vehicles 5 (+6).
Offense: Initiative +9, Unarmed +2 (Close Damage 0), Emotional Assault -- (Progressive Perception Range Will 9).
Defense: Dodge 6, Parry 6, Fortitude 5, Toughness 4, Will 13.
Totals: Abilities 32 + Powers 54 + Advantages 24 + Skills 31 + Defense 23 = 164 points
Complications: Psychopath--Motivation. Reputation (bad teammate).
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Voltron64

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - Horus! Hercules! The Ultima! Sentinels of Emeraldias! Hero High Revised!

Post by Voltron64 »

Davies wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:20 pm All right. If things were going to go this way, then she was going to just have to fund her rise to the celebrity status she deserved the hard way. She used the investigative skills they'd taught her at Claremont -- which she'd only ever intended to use to research roles -- in order to find out the schedules for an armored car delivery, and then turned one of the drivers into her puppet. Unfortunately, the other driver managed to resist her wiles, and he was actually pulling a gun on her! It was simple self-defense, the way that she pushed her powers to their utmost to drive him crazy with love in a way that left him lying on the floor in a puddle of his drool.

And then Daisy stared down at the work of her mind as her love sick pawn asked her what he ought to do. She turned to look at him and said, quite calmly, "The same thing." A moment later, there were two collapsed men on the ground. She didn't bother to take the money after all. Why had she ever imagined that she needed it in the first place
Why do I think it'd be thematically appropriate to go out the same exact way?

Preferably in a manner reminiscent to this by someone who can resist her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNW5LDF60Ec
Davies

Post by Davies »

Warcry

For as long as he could remember, Clay Beaudry wanted to be a hero. If he'd wanted to do that because of a desire for justice or a wish to do good, things would have gone very differently than they did. But at the bottom of Clarence's desire to be a hero was the fact that, for all his family's wealth and privilege, there were people who were clearly above them in the social pecking order of Freedom City -- the heroes. He wanted to join that society -- truthfully, he intended to lead it.

So when one of the several genetic treatments his parents bought him gave him the power to blast things with his voice, and he was sent to Claremont Academy to learn to use those powers for the betterment of blah blah blah, he was thrilled. This was his ticket to join the Freedom League, and he intended to ride it all the way there. The fact that he was never selected for any of the Next-Gen teams that formed during his time at Claremont disconcerted him, a little, but he suspected that his grandmother had probably asked the faculty to not put him at risk like that. (He was right, as it turned out.)

Eventually, though, his graduation arrived, and they were unable to deny him the opportunity to try out for the Freedom League. He showed them what he was capable of, sat through several interviews, and then waited for them to acknowledge all the many ways that he'd be able to contribute to the team. And they did acknowledge that ... even as they were saying that he had failed to demonstrate the proper attitude and would not be asked to join the team at this time. He didn't really bother to listen to the coda about how if he started to show a little humility, they might reconsider.

Instead, Clay angrily decamped for his family home, accompanied by his girlfriend Bess "Breaker" Bartholomew, who'd also been given a rejection. The Beaudry family was less than enthused about Bess, but allowed her to remain while she and Clay tried to figure out what to do with the rest of their lives. That only served to alienate Clay from his family even further than he already was. After about a year, he finally came to a conclusion -- there was another superculture that both the conventionally wealthy and the heroes had to respect, and the two of them were expertly qualified to join it.

And so the Devious Duo were unleashed upon Freedom City, soon to become a Terrible Trio when a former member of the Psions named Rampart joined up. When they discovered and repaired one of the prototype Angel Androids that Doc Otaku had abandoned, they became a foursome -- and inevitably became known as the Fearsome when they began staking out turf that earlier groups known by that name had also taken. They've defended that neighborhood from all comers, heroic and villainous, earning the ire of the Crime League and the Capoyabun's organization in the process.

How long Warcry and his crew will be able to hold on to what they view as theirs is an open question, but for now, the Fearsome have the respect that they've been seeking -- and the family that all of them wanted, too.

Credit to Tattoooedman and Class Dunce for this character concept.

Warcry -- PL 10

Abilities: STR 2 | STA 3 | AGL 2 | DEX 2 | FGT 8 | INT 1 | AWE 3 | PRE 3
Powers: Sonic Scream (Array: Cone Area Damage 10, AP: Cumulative Cone Area Affliction 10 [Resisted by Fortitude; Hearing Impaired, Hearing Disabled, Hearing Unaware], Limited to hearing, AP: Progressive Cone Area Affliction 10 [Resisted by Will; Dazed, Stunned], Limited Degree, Hearing Dependent, AP: Selective Auditory Illusion 9, Precise, AP: Penetrating Burrowing 10, AP: Selective Area Audio Communication 3, Subtle 2), Ultra-hearing (Senses 1 [ultra-hearing]).
Equipment: Armored Costume (Protection 3) and two points as needed.
Advantages: Benefit 2 (independently wealthy), Defensive Roll 2, Equipment, Improved Defense, Improved Initiative, Leadership, Luck 4 (Fortune), Power Attack, Set-Up, Teamwork.
Skills: Acrobatics 3 (+5), Athletics 4 (+6), Deception 7 (+10), Expertise: High Society 5 (+6), Expertise: Streetwise 6 (+7), Insight 6 (+9), Intimidation 6 (+9), Perception 6 (+9), Persuasion 6 (+9), Stealth 6 (+8), Vehicles 3 (+5).
Offense: Initiative +6, Unarmed +8 (Close Damage 2), Sonic Scream -- (Cone Area Damage 10), Deafening Shriek -- (Cone Area Fortitude 10), Confusing Wail -- (Cone Area Will 10).
Defense: Dodge 11, Parry 10, Fortitude 8, Toughness 9/6/3, Will 8.
Totals: Abilities 48 + Powers 26 + Advantages 15 + Skills 29 + Defense 21 = 139 points.
Complications: Thrills--Motivation. Relationship (Breaker). Enemies (oh where to start).
Davies

Post by Davies »

Well, I have moved in to my new digs, and Telus has -- about six hours after they installed the thing -- gotten my Internet up and running. I will hopefully have an update for this thread ready by sometime tomorrow or Saturday.

In other news, I have determined that I suck at playing Dragon Age, but apparently it doesn't matter if you suck if you only play on Casual. Or something like that. I think I prefer turn-based games.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Author's Note: This article, and any outrage that might result from it, are entirely Jabroniville's fault. He was the one who complained about the absence of a certain mythology from the Marvel Universe. Well, this is what a literal embodiment of that mythology might look like in a different superhero universe. What follows are not my own religious beliefs, which I have no intention of discussing.

Additional credit is owed to Christopher Moore and the late Father Andrew Greeley.

Yeshua ben-Yosef
Aka the Preacher

Given the number of apocalyptic events that Earth-Prime has endured in recent years, it should come as no surprise that the numbers of people expecting the Second Coming are very much on the rise. Even some members of the Freedom League have been known to discuss the concept, especially those who are familiar with the existence of the Logos and its angelic servants. Understandably, such discussions make those members of the Freedom League who are associated with non-Christian traditions uncomfortable ... and make Daedelus and a number of senior Freedom League members uncomfortable for a completely different reason.

That being that they are aware that there is no need for a second coming, as he has never left.

He did leave his followers in Judea behind, but he did not depart the world of men. Instead, he quietly continued his ministry on Earth, traveling across the old world and speaking of the love of God. The entire affair in Jerusalem had been much more dramatic than he'd wanted -- he'd meant what he said when he prayed to have this suffering taken from him -- and he strove to avoid such situations in the future. He eventually became aware that his followers had taken exactly the wrong example from his experience, and sometimes seemed to be seeking out opportunities to martyr themselves. But that was hardly the worst misunderstanding that they, and those who joined them, brought to his teachings, and all that he could do was shake his head in dismay.

He traveled, and taught, and helped others to resist the influence of demons wherever possible. He generally doesn't talk about his activities in the centuries since. When Daedelus met him for the first time, in 1431, the Preacher was observing the execution of a young woman who claimed to have been guided by the saints. Apparently moved by her sincerity, he raised her from the dead -- a feat made difficult by the fact that all he had to work with was her heart -- and sent her on her way. She eventually married a French knight and died a second time of old age, many years later.

Eventually, he travelled to the new world as well, living among the people there, teaching and learning from them. Guided by his prophecies, he has spent most of his time in this part of the world, though he has voyaged elsewhere when he felt the need. The fact that this part of the world gave birth to the religion that, in his view, comes closest to his teachings -- while still departing from them on several key points, as is only human -- interests him a great deal.

He has frequently been troubled by the vampire Iscariot, who may or may not be his former disciple turned deadly foe. (All that he'll say on the subject is that the other man thinks he is Judas, but the truth of that is known only to God.) He was also involved in preventing the rise of an antichrist in 1978, and has kept a careful eye on the former antichrist ever since, as well as the man's numerous offspring. He was actually able to persuade a few of them to resist the temptations of their heritage, but others have sadly gone on to be opponents to various superheroes.

Daedelus revealed the existence of the Preacher to the Freedom League when the team found themselves at a loss to end the possession of the Sentry Statue by the Centurion's spirit. He was able to exorcise the spirit without causing it undue pain, helped by the fact that the Centurion's soul only desired to be reunited with his wife's soul in the afterlife. He indicated that he would be happy to help the group out with their problems, either spiritual or temporal, but had no interest in joining.

And he has done many other things. If they were all written down one by one, I suppose the whole world could not hold all the books that would be written.

The Preacher -- PL 13

Abilities: STR 1 | STA 6 | AGL 1 | DEX 0 | FGT 4 | INT 3 | AWE 9 | PRE 7
Powers: Eternal (Flight 2; Immortality 2; Immunity 11 [aging, life support]), Holy Powers (Array: Reaction Restorative Energizing Healing 11, AP: Perception Range Restorative Energizing Resurrection Healing 11, AP: Burst Area 2 Cumulative Affliction 13 (Resisted by Will; Hindered, Immobile, Paralyzed), Linked Burst Area 2 Damage 13, Limited to demons and the undead, AP: Auditory Perception Area Effortless Simultaneous Nullify Mind Control 11, Sustained), Prophecy (Senses 4 [precognition]), Tongues (Comprehend Languages 4).
Advantages: Benefit 2 (Cipher), Connected, Extraordinary Effort, Inspire 5, Interpose, Jack of all Trades, Luck 6 (Fortune).
Skills: Expertise: Oratory 8 (+15), Expertise: History 6 (+9), Expertise: Theology and Philosophy 12 (+15), Insight 14 (+23), Intimidation 8 (+15), Perception 6 (+15), Persuasion 8 (+15).
Offense: Initiative +1, Unarmed +4 (Close Damage 1), Rebuke the Unholy -- (Burst Area Will and Damage 13).
Defense: Dodge 6, Parry 8, Fortitude 12, Toughness 6, Will 14.
Totals: Abilities 62 + Powers 116 + Advantages 20 + Skills 31 + Defenses 19 = 248 points
Complications: Doing Good--Motivation. Enemy (Iscariot). Secret Identity.

Author's Note: Yeah, I'm going to hell. No surprises.
Last edited by Davies on Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Davies wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:25 pm Author's Note: Yeah, I'm going to hell. No surprises.
Oh good. I could use some company ;~)
Davies wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:25 pm She eventually married a French knight and died a second time of old age, many years later.
Glad to see that she got a happy ending.
I mean, wow, that had to have been a brutal life up to that point.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Davies wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:25 pm Author's Note: This article, and any outrage that might result from it, are entirely Jabroniville's fault. He was the one who complained about the absence of a certain mythology from the Marvel Universe. Well, this is what a literal embodiment of that mythology might look like in a different superhero universe. What follows are not my own religious beliefs, which I have no intention of discussing.

Additional credit is owed to Christopher Moore and the late Father Andrew Greeley.

Yeshua ben-Yosef
Aka the Preacher

Author's Note: Yeah, I'm going to hell. No surprises.
You and my 5 years old self, who after hearing about Jesus for the first time in kindergarten commented with something along the lines of: "That's sound even cooler than Masters of the Universe." :P
And then proceed to grew up into a convinced Agnostic.

I swear it's true.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Hahh- neat. I accept full guilt for this obvious blasphemy here. Interesting story, too- I kinda like his "outside observer" thing, and of course the fact that MORMONISM is the correct answer.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:52 pm Hahh- neat. I accept full guilt for this obvious blasphemy here. Interesting story, too- I kinda like his "outside observer" thing, and of course the fact that MORMONISM is the correct answer.
... Jehovah's Witnesses, actually. (It's a nod to Gary Gygax.) And I just now realized that I forgot to put the actual character sheet in the post. :oops:

Anyway, his role is a mix of the Aquarian, the Phantom Stranger, and Uncle Sam -- I deliberately gave him the same PL as the lattermost.
Last edited by Davies on Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Eh, as far as blasphemy goes, there’s far worse possibilities.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Song Hyu Li
Codename: Deva

The first thing you should know about Song Hyu Li, ace mecha pilot for the Army of the Republic of South Korea, is that she is nineteen years old. Some poor individuals, seeing her, have believed that she must be younger than that. Such suspicions have also been kindled by the fact that, before she was recruited to pilot, she was an award-winning online game player, a field much more dominated by the young than, for example, the military. But such notions are foolish in the extreme; if the state says she's nineteen, then by god she is nineteen.

Hyu Li loves her life. She is doing something she loves, and is famous for doing so. She is thrilled to be able to operate her vehicle against threats to her country, and is cheerfully willing to accept the judgment of her superiors on the identities of such threats, without asking questions. She maintains a friendly competition with the three other pilots in her unit, but is quite content with the results of that competition to date -- to wit, she has the high score in every simulation and every actual mission that they've run.

Perhaps the only unsatisfying aspect of her life are the occasional encounters with Japanese superheroes which her unit has endured, such as those obnoxious Angels of Legend, who clashed with the team while dealing with a rogue kaiju. The Angels dealt with the monster before the mekateam could dispatch it, and Hyu Li desperately wants a rematch where she'll show that modern Korean technology is more than a match for ancient Japanese magic or alien magic or whatever. She's sure of it.

Don't ask about her family, please. It's perfectly normal for nineteen year old women to have little or no contact with their family, and refer to their superior officers as their de facto parents. And there is also no truth to any allegations that piloting a mekasuit has any detrimental impact on the pilot's mental health.

Codename: Deva -- PL 8

Abilities: STR -1 | STA 1 | AGL 3 | DEX 4 | FGT 3 | INT 2 | AWE 2 | PRE 3
Powers: Bracer of Power (Radio Communication 3; Summon Heroic Controlled Mekasuit 6, Limited Uses [5/day], Delay, Removable).
Advantages: Benefit 2 (Military Rank 2), Equipment 3, Improved Initiative.
Skills: Athletics 8 (+7), Close Combat: Mecha 4 (+7), Expertise: Gamer 10 (+12), Perception 5 (+7), Ranged Combat: Guns 4 (+8), Technology 5 (+7), Vehicles 8 (+12).
Offense: Initiative +7, Blaster Pistol +8 (Ranged Damage 5), Unarmed +3 (Close Damage -1).
Defense: Dodge 6, Parry 5, Fortitude 5, Toughness 1, Will 11.
Totals: Abilities 34 + Powers 19 + Advantages 6 + Skills 20 + Defenses 18 = 97 points
Complications: Fame--Motivation. Competitive. Innocent.

Mekasuit -- PL 8

Abilities: STR 8 | STA — | AGL 0 | DEX 2 | FGT 4 | INT — | AWE 0 | PRE
Powers: Armor (Protection 6, Impervious Toughness 8), Construct (Immunity 30 [Fortitude effects]), Booster Rockets (Leaping 8), Large (Growth 4, Permanent, Innate), Weaponry (Ranged Multiattack Damage 8, AE: Burst Area Ranged Damage 8), Sensor Suite (Senses 6 [accurate radio [radar], extended hearing, extended vision, infravision)
Pilot Traits: Close Combat: Mecha 4 (+8), Ranged Combat: Guns 4 (+6), Vehicles 8 (+10), Fortitude 5, Will 11
Offense: Initiative +4, Pulse Rifle +6 (Ranged Multiattack Damage 8), Rocket Pods -- (Ranged Burst Area Damage 8), Unarmed +8 (Close Damage 8).
Defense: Dodge 6, Parry 6, Fortitude Immune, Toughness 10, Will Immune
Totals: Abilities –10 + Powers 92 + Advantages 0 + Skills 0 + Defenses 8 = 90 points
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

South Korea, I'm assuming? Or are they still split in your world?
Shock

Post by Shock »

Davies wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:57 pm ace mecha pilot for the Army of the Republic of South Korea,
:mrgreen:
Davies

Post by Davies »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:46 am South Korea, I'm assuming? Or are they still split in your world?
Shock wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:43 am
Davies wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:57 pm ace mecha pilot for the Army of the Republic of South Korea,
:mrgreen:
Umm?
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Totally missed that. ^_^ Just kept seeing "Korea". I guess it was topmost in mind because NPR has been discussing a new editions of "The Koreas" where the author was commenting how in South Korea, every five years is a new generation whereas in the North... nothing has changed.