DC's unhealthy Watchmen obsession.

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
MacynSnow

Re: DC's unhealthy Watchmen obsession.

Post by MacynSnow »

My bad then Ares,and i can see your points about Adrian's .......issue's.But he always seemed more like a tortured genius that saw only one solution to me.True,he could've concivably(?) asked for help,but can you honesty name 1 superheroic Genius that actually asked for help w/the problems they saw happening?
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Ken wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:49 pm
MacynSnow wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:26 pm I was never really a fan of any of the Fawcet characters myself(thought their origins were all a little to "out there" for my personal tastes),but i was(and forevermore will be)a mega-fan of the Carlton heros(and in all honesty Booster Gold always struck me as a Carlton hero,anyway)
And as a side-note:Niel Gainman(?) himself originally had The Watchmen wrote for the Carlton heros but DC said no,so he had to make his own&rewite the original story.........
How is Bulletman's origin more out there than, say Hawkman's? Or Hourman's?

How is Spy Smasher's origin any less plausible than Batman's?

And Mister Scarlet? I mean, a crusading attorney, donning red tights to fight crime in his city with a vaguely devilish appearance. Yeah, that would never work in today's comics. Or on Netflix.

Booster Gold was never published by Charlton, so how did Booster strike you as being a Charlton character? I will grant you that he was introduced when DC was giving the Charlton heroes the big push, but that was just timing.

It was Alan Moore. There's a rumour that the Moore had outlined Watchmen for use with Archie's MLJ heroes.

Dick Giordano had been the Executive Editor at Charlton during the height of their Action Heroes days in the 1960s. In the 1980s, he was the Executive Editor at DC. Because of his fondness for the characters, and the fact that Charlton wasn't doing anything with them, Giordano engineered DC's purchase of most of the Charlton heroes. And he immediately started asking for submissions on what to do with them. Alan Moore than handed in an outline for Watchmen using the Charlton characters.

The story goes that Giordano read it and came away with two distinct thoughts. He wanted the Charlton heroes to be an ONGOING part of the DC Universe, and he recognised that the heroes in Moore's story were pretty much done at the end of it. So, he rejected it for the Charlton heroes. But he liked the actual story idea, so he greenlit the project provided Moore change the heroes to new characters.
I don't think it was their Origins so much that it was the way they were wrote that i disliked......
Ken

Post by Ken »

MacynSnow wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:17 am
MacynSnow wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:26 pm I was never really a fan of any of the Fawcet characters myself(thought their origins were all a little to "out there" for my personal tastes)

And Mister Scarlet? I mean, a crusading attorney, donning red tights to fight crime in his city with a vaguely devilish appearance. Yeah, that would never work in today's comics. Or on Netflix.
I don't think it was their Origins so much that it was the way they were wrote that i disliked......
So it was the origins were a little "out there" but .... it wasn't the origins.

Just out of curious how many actual golden age stories have you read? From Fawcett, but also from National, All-American, Quality and Timely?

And how much of it is you don't care for Captain Marvel, and you assume all of Fawcett was the same?
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Ken wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:56 am
MacynSnow wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:17 am

So it was the origins were a little "out there" but .... it wasn't the origins.

Just out of curious how many actual golden age stories have you read? From Fawcett, but also from National, All-American, Quality and Timely?

And how much of it is you don't care for Captain Marvel, and you assume all of Fawcett was the same?
I've only been able to read the GN's of the Carlton heroes & Capt. Marvel 'cause DC introduced me to them in the 80's Justice League.....i DO have the Encyclopedia Of Superheroes,so i generally know all of Fawcet's Heroes' origins and i just personally found them a little off to me is all.
Ken

Post by Ken »

At least it isn't Harvey's unhealthy Watchmen obsession...

Last edited by Ken on Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Too true,but at least it'd be slightly better written.... :D
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

Watchmen was meant to be a deconstruction of the Superhero genre, according to Alan Moore. No one seems to know this. Especially not DC.