Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
L-Space

Re: Jab's Builds! (Odin! Oberon! Taserface! Overwatch- Widowmaker!)

Post by L-Space »

Ah Bastion, the original focus of Overwatch player's hate. I still remember facing entire teams of Bastions (before they limited it to 1 character per team) and just being mercilessly mowed down again and again. It didn't help that originally his Sentry Form could throw hundreds of bullets across the map with almost pinpoint accuracy. Now a days he's not nearly as bad and is actually fun to play with in his various forms.

Bastion's video is still one of my favorites of the Overwatch shorts. Also, according to the online comics it was Torbjorn who found Bastion and brought him into the fold.
Formerly luketheduke86
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

The Last Bastion is one of my favorites. D'aaaaaaw, killbot has a heart!
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Having a general disinterest in 95% of all video games, and a general distaste for FPS, I have to say I'm looking forward to Jab's Overwatch builds. This way I can see what all the fuss is about, and see all the pretty pictures, and laugh at Jab's commentary. It's a win-win.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ken wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:48 am Having a general disinterest in 95% of all video games, and a general distaste for FPS, I have to say I'm looking forward to Jab's Overwatch builds. This way I can see what all the fuss is about, and see all the pretty pictures, and laugh at Jab's commentary. It's a win-win.
Yeah, it's been a fun set to research and stat. Hopefully the commentary will prove funny- I'll try to keep it clean! No references to me wanting Zarya to peg m-- I mean, wait.
Jabroniville

Soldier: 76

Post by Jabroniville »

SOLDIER: 76 (Jack Morrison)
Role:
The Generic Guy, The Old Soldier
Fetish Targets: Silver Fox
Group Affiliations: Overwatch
PL 9 (178)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 8 (+13)
Deception 2 (+5)
Expertise (Soldier) 11 (+14)
Insight 2 (+6)
Investigation 4 (+8)
Perception 8 (+12)
Ranged Combat (Guns) 2 (+11)
Stealth 8 (+14)
Technology 6 (+8)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Defensive Attack, Equipment 6 (Heavy Pulse Rifle, Helix Rockets), Evasion, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Guns) 2, Improved Defense, Improved Initiative, Leadership, Quick Draw, Precise Attack (Ranged/Cover), Ranged Attack 4, Teamwork, Tracking

Powers:
"Sprint" Speed 3 (16 mph) (Flaws: Limited to While Not Attacking) [2]

"Biotic Field" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [13]
Regeneration 7 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst, Selective) (21 points)

"Tactical Visor" (Flaws: Removable) [10]
Enhanced Advantages 3: Improved Critical (Guns) 2, Ultimate Aim (3)
Blast 9 (Extras: Perception-Ranged) (Flaws: Source- Guns, Unreliable- 5/day) (9)
-- (12 points)

Equipment:
"Heavy Pulse Rifle" Blast 7 (Extras: Multiattack) (21)
"Helix Rocket" Blast 9 (Extras: Burst Area Damage 7) (Inaccurate -1) (24)

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Semi-Automatic Fire +11 (+7 Ranged Damage, DC 22)
Helix Rocket +9 (+9 Ranged Damage, DC 24)
Tactical Visor -- (+9 Perception-Ranged Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +4, Fortitude +7, Will +8

Complications:
Power Loss (Ammo)- Soldier: 76 cannot fire indiscriminately- the Biotic Field and Helix Rockets in particular require recharge time, but he can run out of bullets as well.
Weakness (Best Counters)- Mei's ice can hold him down and prevent his Biotic Field from going off.
Motivation (Uncovering The Corruption Within Overwatch): Jack Morrison was maimed in the destruction of Overwatch, and now seeks to punish those responsible.
Responsibility (Wanted Man)- The American government wants their former agent returned, and has put a bounty out on his head.
Responsibility (Broken)- Soldier: 76 is a much darker person than he once was.
Enemy (Reaper)- Morrison's old friend Gabriel Reyes is now the enemy agent known as Reaper.

Total: Abilities: 80 / Skills: 72--36 / Advantages: 23 / Powers: 25 / Defenses: 14 (178)

-I would say beyond a shadow of a doubt, that Soldier: 76 has the worst, most generic design of all the characters of Overwatch. There's Female Bodybuilder, Robot-Ape, Power Armor Guy, Midget In Armor, Blue Ballerina and all sorts of insane, diverse stuff... and they give us "guy in armor and sunglasses". His backstory basically just being "Captain America" doesn't help- he's a farmboy turned into an augmented "Super-Soldier" by the government, after he'd proved himself worthy during the Omnic Crisis (like thousands of others, he'd signed up with the army to fight the robots).
-Jack Morrison would also be an inductee into the first Overwatch- overseeing the battles while his friend Gabriel Reyes was the overall commander. However, when he lapped Reyes in command, Reyes led an internal rebellion, and was believed to have killed Morrison. He would return as "Soldier: 76", now a cyborg, devoted to uncovering the dark underbelly of Overwatch, and expose its corruption- bringing those responsible to justice.

-Soldier: 76 was created by Chris Mentzen, and was meant to be the star of a comic book series, but was repurposed into a "Rifle Guy" for Overwatch. And I imagine "Rifle Guy" is the "First Person Shooter" version of "The Ryu" from Fighting Games. He's meant to represent "Overwatch at its best", being a vigilante type who wants to uphold the ideals for which the organization was meant to represent. Despite me finding him pretty generic, he was apparently the most-played character of the game in 2016- I guess his playstyle is pretty good. It's odd, though- I've barely seen ANY fanart of the character, nor seen him in any memes (of the males, it's usually Bastion, Hanzo & McCree that get the attention).

-Soldier: 76, as said, is "The Ryu" of the game- Jack of All Trades, Master of None. He's quick, skillful, has good weapons and is decently tough... but is neither the fastest, most skillful, toughest or most heavily-armed guy in the game. This makes him an ideal choice for newcomers, but still quite good in the hands of a veteran- his Speed and rate of fire enable him battlefield control, and his Biotic Field makes him good support for allies. Overall, he only ends up at PL 9 due to his lack of high-powered or high-defense trickery, but his baseline is so good, and his Healing so excellent, that he doesn't require that extra cheat. Most OW characters are only PL 10 in specific circumstances, anyways.

-His "Ultimate", the Tactical Visor, actually makes him UNABLE TO MISS- I was gonna go with "Better Aim" for a more flavorful M&M thing, but it's a pretty quick trick to make him dole out Perception-Ranged Damage, allowing more focus on defenses. As expected, someone with a good, authentic POWER in addition to a lot of "Soldier Stuff" and "Captain America"-ish physical stats make him one of the most expensive Overwatch characters. The only thing keeping his cost down is that most of his stuff still comes from gear.

Comic Book-izing Soldier: 76: Are you kidding? He basically IS a comic book character! All comics would likely do is amp up his physical capabilities and feats to make him more Captain America-like. Also his dumb Tactical Visor would probably just be "aim better" and he'd lose the Biotic Field, becoming more of "Generic Soldier Guy". So actually he'd be more different than I thought and have less flavor.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Davies

Re: Jab's Builds! (Oberon! Taserface! Overwatch- Widowmaker! Bastion!)

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:13 am
Comic Book-izing Soldier: 76: Are you kidding? He basically IS a comic book character! All comics would likely do is amp up his physical capabilities and feats to make him more Captain America-like. Also his dumb Tactical Visor would probably just be "aim better" and he'd lose the Biotic Field, becoming more of "Generic Soldier Guy". So actually he'd be more different than I thought and have less flavor.
Actually, if I were doing this as a comic character, I'd keep the Visor as "Never misses" and come up with a False Drama explanation for why he doesn't use it all the time.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Wow, lotta stuff to respond to! Here goes:
L-Space wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:36 pm Nice start on the Overwatch builds, Jab! Widowmaker look true to form, I like how you're building off concept instead of video game stats.

I can't speak for the PC community, but I can say the PS4 community has been far from toxic in my experience. You still get the occasional a-hole, but it's not an every game type of occurrence.
I've heard a lot of stuff about the Overwatch community, but obviously haven't experienced it. A lot of people seem to focus on "Hanzo Mains" getting shat on.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Spectrum wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:49 pm Wow! I didn't realize that the video game series of builds was so long ago. I thought that it was just a few months ago.
Yeah, it was not TOO long before "The Incident", but with enough of a gap between "Video Games" and "Street Fighter" that it didn't feel like I was over-doing the game-related stuff.
L-Space wrote:An additional note about the Omnics and the Omnic Crisis.

The Omnica Corporation didn't just build Omnics they built fully automated Omnic factories (called omniums) all around the world, but ended up closing them once the company shut down. Some years later the omniums mysteriously started up again (most likely due to the super powerful AIs called God Programs) and started producing the army of hostile Omnics.
Yeah, some stuff came up like that while I was doing ongoing research- that's why I mixed up when Overwatch was disbanded in my opening thing, as well.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

I upgraded Soldier: 76's "Visor" to give him +9 to his Perception-Ranged damage, owing to the fact that he can score BETTER shots all the time as well. It's just not QUITE worth it to give him a temporary upgrade to only his regular damage.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds!

Post by Jabroniville »

DominusExMachina wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:10 pm Well, the DC Comics Database isn't the only place to look up info on DC's characters: there's Comicvine, among others.
Oh yeah, I'm quite familiar with ComicVine- that's where I get all my pictures from :)! And much of the biographical info for anyone who isn't on Wikipedia. It's usually step #2, followed by Marvunapp (which has more info, but is often a slog to read, especially as they don't let you copy their text for the most part). Alas, DC fans just aren't good about putting information online. The multiple reboots of the line probably don't help.
Speaking of the lovely Maj. Kusanagi & Co., have you ever thought about doing any Ghost in the Shell builds?
I've thought about it, but I find the series dreadfully boring and pretentious, so I'd probably just annoy the fans if I did :). The first movie is beautifully-shot and scored, though.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:19 am I upgraded Soldier: 76's "Visor" to give him +9 to his Perception-Ranged damage, owing to the fact that he can score BETTER shots all the time as well. It's just not QUITE worth it to give him a temporary upgrade to only his regular damage.
I have to admit I didn't consider this route when I built my version of 76. In a way it's much better than my design, but ... well I hate perception range effects. They have their place, but that's usually as far as humanly possible from my builds :P

I'd like to give a bit of a shout out to why Soldier 76 isn't a Ryu for me. I'd admit I'm biased because he's the character I tend to rely upon when a match is going bad. Anyway the big point is that 76 is not a good guy any longer, he's a broken shell of a the hero he once was. In my build notes I compared him to Steve Rogers in his Nomad phase ... which was not 100% accurate. Even at his lowest Rogers kept fighting for what he believes in, he never gave up, never stopped; Morrison on the other hand has done a number of questionable things since the end of the original team and doesn't see himself as a positive person anymore. There's even a bit of in-game newscast:
"The Morrison I knew wouldn't hide behind a mask. He wouldn't plant bombs and steal weapons while the world suffered through another year of war and heartache. That Morrison was buried here six years ago. All that's left is the shadow of the hero we once knew."
All in all, I think that 76 is more of a semi-deconstruction of the heroic trope.
Last edited by Woodclaw on Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Interesting- none of that came up in my research (which, well, consists entirely of just one Wiki-site- the "Gamepedia" one). Just that he was kind of a cyborg guy now.

Glad you appreciated the "Visor" update- it didn't come to me until right after I got home from work, after thinking about your own use of the Device, and that it could allow Power Attacks and the like. I kind of wanted to use your idea PLUS my original "Perception-Damage" intent, and then it came to me... I can do BOTH!
danelsan

Re: Jab's Builds! (Oberon! Taserface! Widowmaker! Bastion! Soldier: 76!)

Post by danelsan »

As far as artwork and memes go, at least for a while there was a quite a bit of stuff portraying Soldier 76 in the "dad" role, often with Mercy as "mom" and younger team members, most often the dorito-gremlin version of D.Va but sometimes also others, get the "kid" role.

Sample:

Arkrite

Re: Jab's Builds! (Oberon! Taserface! Widowmaker! Bastion! Soldier: 76!)

Post by Arkrite »

That top one really made me laugh ;~)
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:08 am I've heard a lot of stuff about the Overwatch community, but obviously haven't experienced it. A lot of people seem to focus on "Hanzo Mains" getting shat on.
It's kind of funny how communities for agame can differ so much just by which system it's played on. Though PC communities almost always seems to get called out for being the worst. Luckily for me, even if PS4's community did suck, I have enough friends that play that we can just make our own party most of the time.
Formerly luketheduke86