Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Sudowoodo! Sunflora! Donphan!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Demons & Devils

Post by Jabroniville »

DEMONS & DEVILS:
-Demons and Devils are the creatures which inhabit the 666 layers of "The Abyss", a dimensional plane running alongside that of Castellia and countless other worlds. The creatures contained within are immortal, exceptionally-violent and imbued with evil might, and all pledge allegiance to one of dozens of "Demon Lords"- extremely-powerful beings on par with the Gods of any world. There is much scholarly debate about the exact nature of these beings, such as whether or not they qualify as "pure evil" or not- some believe that these beings may simply be the indigenous population of a world ruled by evil beings, and that such behavior can be un-learned. Most dismiss this as sheer naivete, as even infant Demons and Devils are prone to dangerous acts of violence. The most intense study seems to suggest that the evil contained within the realm corrupts any being inhabiting it- it is confirmed that any mortal entering The Abyss without proper protection (such as Holy spells, religious artifacts, or wards against Evil) will slowly become warped and evil, like the rest of the Demons.

-There is no real classification system to differentiate Demons from Devils- Devils are usually seen as more violent and animalistic, while Demons are often more clever and versatile. Complicating matters is that, much like Castellia, most of these creatures can breed with each other, and produce hybrids. What is also becoming known to some is that these creatures may actually UPGRADE to further forms- Demons & Devils that succeed in their missions may be rewarded with being empowered by their masters into a "higher tier" of being. This is often dangled in front of desperate minions, who dearly wish to become mightier in the lethal, dangerous pecking order of The Abyss.

Jab's Notes: D&D makes a thing out of Demons being Chaotic Evil, while Devils are Lawful Evil (dealmakers and such), but I pretty much just ignore that and dump them all under "Evil Monsters". I hate the whole "a sentient species that is all like ______" thing that D&D uses. I also dump the whole "Summons Other Demons" thing, as I find that annoying, pricey and complicated in battlefield situations.

-There's also a lot of silly "overlap" among Demons & Devils, with Quasits & Imps, Dretches & Lemures, and Erinyes & Succubi in particular, being very "same-y" and taking up identical roles. Kind of inevitable in an RPG that thrives on diversity among the things you can kill, but unnecessary to my needs. I'll probably discard many of them, or emphasize the differences.

The Pecking Order:
Lemures
Dretches
Imps
Osyluths, Chained Devils
Bearded Devils, Erinyes
Hamatulas, Succubi/Incubi
Cornugons, Bebiliths
Gelugons, Vrocks
Hezrou
Glabrezu
Pit Fiends, Nalfeshnee
Mariliths
Balors
Jabroniville

Dretch

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

DRETCH
Role:
Mooks
PL 4 (36)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -2 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Expertise (Demon) 3 (+1)
Intimidation 5 (+3)

Advantages:
None

Powers:
"Demonic Physiology"
Immunity 3 (Aging, Disease, Poison) [3]
Immunity 10 (Fire Effects) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [5]
"Telepathy" Communication (Mental) 1 [4]
Comprehend 3 (Understand, Speak & Read Languages) [6]

"Claws & Teeth" Strength-Damage +2 [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Claws +4 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +2, Fortitude +4, Will +0

Complications:
Vulnerable (Holy Attacks)
Disabled (Mute)- Dretch cannot speak.

Total: Abilities: 6 / Skills: 8--4 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 20 / Defenses: 6 (36)

-Dretch are incredibly-stupid, hairless Demons that make up the bulk of many Demonic Armies. They cannot speak openly.

Jab's Notes: The simplest Demon, one I didn't even know existed. Just a dumb PL 3.5 nothing.
Yojimbo

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Obsidiaris! Ash Ketchum! Demons & Devils!)

Post by Yojimbo »

The idea behind the Dretch and the Lemures and other 1 HD demonic creatures, at least in AD&D, was that the Outer Planes like Hell and the Abyss were the afterlife. Chaotic Evil and Lawful Evil people went there when they died. And when they manifested on those planes, it wasn't as a version of themselves, but as the lowest of the low. The cannon fodder for the devils and the demons, the servants and victims of their whims, i.e. these crappy monsters.

The devils were set up in such a way that over time (and with achievements), the Lemures could advance and take on better forms, work their way up to Malebranche or whatever. The demons I don't think worked that way. But mechanically, these monsters were there to allow even low-level characters go up against evil creatures from the lower planes.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Yojimbo wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:56 pm The idea behind the Dretch and the Lemures and other 1 HD demonic creatures, at least in AD&D, was that the Outer Planes like Hell and the Abyss were the afterlife. Chaotic Evil and Lawful Evil people went there when they died. And when they manifested on those planes, it wasn't as a version of themselves, but as the lowest of the low. The cannon fodder for the devils and the demons, the servants and victims of their whims, i.e. these crappy monsters.

The devils were set up in such a way that over time (and with achievements), the Lemures could advance and take on better forms, work their way up to Malebranche or whatever. The demons I don't think worked that way. But mechanically, these monsters were there to allow even low-level characters go up against evil creatures from the lower planes.
I.e, they're demonic goblins :P
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Lemures

Post by Jabroniville »

That pink blob one; second from the right.

LEMURE
Role:
Mooks
PL 4 (13)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -- AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE --

Skills:
None

Advantages:
None

Powers:
"Demonic Physiology"
Senses 2 (Darkvision) [2]
Features 1: All Attacks Have "Evil" Descriptor [1]

"Claws & Teeth" Strength-Damage +2 [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Claws +4 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +2, Fortitude +4, Will --

Complications:
Disabled (Mute)- Lemures cannot speak.

Total: Abilities: -6 / Skills: 00--0 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 13 / Defenses: 6 (13)

-The lowest-tier creatures in The Abyss by far, Lemures are what becomes of the souls of mortals disallowed into the heavens of their respective Pantheons- mindless, moaning hordes making up all the colors of the rainbow. A great deal of the world's Liches are created once evil men become aware of this fact. Millions, possibly billions, of Lemures fight alongside Dretches as the expendable, cannon-fodder "Foot Soldiers" of Demonic armies.
Jabroniville

Imps

Post by Jabroniville »

IMP
Role:
Manipulators
PL 4 (117)
STRENGTH
-2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Persuasion 4 (+5)
Stealth 4 (+6, +14 Size)

Advantages:
None

Powers:
"Demonic Physiology"

"Tiny Size" Shrinking 8 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) -- (1 foot) [9]
(-2 Strength, +4 Defenses, +8 Stealth, -4 Intimidation, -1 Speed)

"Imp Nature"
Flight 2 (8 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [2]
"Stinger" Weaken Stamina 4 (Extras: Progressive +2) [12]
Regeneration 3 [3]

"Magic Spells"
"Invisibility" Concealment (Visuals) (8) -- [9]
  • AE: "Detect Magic" Senses 4 (Magical Awareness- Acute & Ranged 2) (Flaws: Unreliable- 5/day) (2)
"Shapeshifters"
Morph 2 (Medium-Sized Forms) [10]
Variable (Creature Forms) 3 [21]

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (-2 Damage, DC 13)
Stinger +4 (+4 Weaken, DC 19)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +2, Fortitude +4, Will --

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 24 / Skills: 8--4 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 87 / Defenses: 2 (117)

-Imps are assistants and gofers in the Demonic world, being sent out by evil masters in order to accomplish all manner of dark deeds. They are also often found assisting evil spellcasters, many of whom do not realize they are doing the will of Demons. They lack major battlefield power, but are versatile, tiny shapechangers with dangerous stingers. Imps fight and compete with each other for the honor to become either Bone or Chain Devils.

Jab's Notes: Imps are generally background nothings, but their versatility makes them VASTLY more expensive than your typical PL 4s. They lack battlefield prowess, but are hard to hit.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Yojimbo wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:56 pm The idea behind the Dretch and the Lemures and other 1 HD demonic creatures, at least in AD&D, was that the Outer Planes like Hell and the Abyss were the afterlife. Chaotic Evil and Lawful Evil people went there when they died. And when they manifested on those planes, it wasn't as a version of themselves, but as the lowest of the low. The cannon fodder for the devils and the demons, the servants and victims of their whims, i.e. these crappy monsters.

Yeah, much of D&D has that set of "tiers" of monsters- like the weakest ones (Dretch & Lemures), then slightly higher ones, up to the CR 16-20 monsters. Giants start a bit higher than others (with Ogres), but Demons cross the entire divide.

The cosmology "this is Hell" stuff is good info, though- I sort of assumed as much, which is included in the bio for the Lemure. Most of the later Demons also include information about what they're trying to turn into- like the whole Abyssal Plane is a series of guys trying to climb the ladder in a meritocracy :).
Jabroniville

Bone Devil

Post by Jabroniville »

BONE DEVIL (Osyluth)
Role:
Elite Mooks
PL 6 (114)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+7)
Expertise (Demon) 5 (+5)
Insight 4 (+5)
Intimidation 6 (+7)
Stealth 3 (+4 Size)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Tail), Improved Initiative, Startle

Powers:
"Demonic Physiology"

Growth 1 (Str & Sta +1, +1 Mass, +0 Intimidation, -0 Dodge/Parry, -1 Stealth) -- (8 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [3]
"Barbed Tail" Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Penetrating 6) Linked to Weaken Strength 7 (Extras: Progressive +2) [29]
"Long Reach" Reach 2 [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Tail +5 (+7 Damage & Weaken, DC 22 & 17)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +5, Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 34 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 55 / Defenses: 11 (114)

-Osyluths (commonly called "Bone Devils") are very solid, skeletal "Foot Soldiers" in Demonic Armies- powerful enough to be more dangerous than the typical members of any humanoid race, but not enough to be a threat to their superiors. They are frequently "yes men" or elite agents. They greatly resemble undead beings with scorpion tails, but have a tendency towards Magic as well- frequent spellcasting classes include Illusions or Elementalism- anything to gain them an advantage. Bone Devils are highly-competitive with each other, eager to earn the favor of Demon Generals, who may or may not put in a good word for them, allowing them to "upgrade" into Bearded Devils (the next higher class).

Jab's Notes: Osyluths feel rather forgettable, and are only CR 6 in D&D, but manage to get a picture alongside the Pit Fiend in the 3e Monster Manual. They're a bit dangerous, and I feel like they'd be good as personalized foes- easily upgraded to PL 8-ish, and given Magic Spells to make them more dangerous.
Thorpocalypse

Re: Ash

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:27 pm Image

ASH (Human Ranger)
Role:
Vicious Animal Trainer
Ask and ye shall receive! And he's eeeeeeeeeeeeeevil, too. Excellent. 8-)
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Jabroniville

Chain Devils

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

CHAIN DEVIL (Kyton)
Role:
Elite Mooks
PL 6 (107)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+8)
Expertise (Demon) 5 (+4)
Insight 4 (+5)
Intimidation 6 (+7)
Stealth 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Initiative,l Startle

Powers:
"Demonic Physiology"

"Dancing Chains" Summon Chains 2 (Extras: Active) (Flaws: Source- Existing Chains) [4]
"Spinning Chains on Body" Damage 6 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst, Selective) [18]
Regeneration 4 (Feats: Regrows Limbs) [5]
"Changing Face" Morph 2 (Flaws: Limited to Face -2) [6]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Spinning Chains +6 Area (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 28 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 54 / Defenses: 11 (107)

-The Chain Devils known as Kytons occupy a similar tier to the Bone Devils in Demonic Hordes- they lash out with bladed chains attached to their bodies like clothes, attacking anyone within range. They lack the hitting power of Bone Devils, but cause more havoc on the battlefield be striking down more people at once. They are also more survivable. Obsessive fighters, Kytons rarely compete to become more elite, or a higher-tier of Demon, but this still happens occasionally- they make particularly lethal Bearded Devils.

Jab's Notes: Chain Devils are rather well-known, and the great Wayne Reynolds art in the 3rd Edition Monster Manual really made them stand out as pretty bad-ass looking. Despite that, they're still rather low-end, being only CR 6.
Jabroniville

Re: Ash

Post by Jabroniville »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:46 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:27 pm Image

ASH (Human Ranger)
Role:
Vicious Animal Trainer
Ask and ye shall receive! And he's eeeeeeeeeeeeeevil, too. Excellent. 8-)
Glad you like it- I felt I had to detail the obvious evils inherent in "capturing animals and forcing them to fight in bloodsports" :).
scc

Post by scc »

I really like the Chain Devil's design. It was definitely one of the first characters I wanted to stat for M&M when I did my D&D conversions. I never seen the top pic before.
Jabroniville

Bearded Devil

Post by Jabroniville »

BEARDED DEVIL (Barbazu)
Role:
Elite Mooks
PL 7 (105)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+8)
Expertise (Demon) 5 (+4)
Insight 4 (+5)
Intimidation 6 (+7)
Stealth 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Improved Initiative, Takedown

Powers:
"Demonic Physiology"

"Hell Glaive" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [11]
"Bleeding Wound" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Reach) Linked to Weaken Strength 4 (Feats: Reach) (Extras: Progressive +2) (17 points)

"Twisting Beard"
Extra Limb 1 [1]
"Devil Chills" Weaken Stamina 5 (Extras: Disease +2) [15]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Hell Glaive +8 (+6 Damage & +4 Weaken, DC 21 & 14)
Devil Chills +8 (+5 Weaken, DC 15)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +5, Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 34 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 47 / Defenses: 11 (105)

-The Barbazu are elite Shock Troops in Abyssal armies- stronger than Bone or Chain Devils, and carrying lethal Hell Glaives that cause wounds that never seem to heal. Also called "Bearded Devils" for their distinctive, twisting beards, they are typically ill-mannered and antisocial barbarians, but many learn magical spells, particularly Fireballs or other Red Magic. They desire to become Barbed Devils or other powerful and monstrous Demons.

Jab's Notes: Bearded Devils are kinda goofy-looking, but occupy a slightly higher tier than the others.
Jabroniville

Hellcat

Post by Jabroniville »

HELLCAT (aka Bezekira)
Role:
Abyssal Feline
PL 8 (105)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+5)
Athletics 2 (+8)
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+6)
Intimidation 12 (+10 Size)
Perception 8 (+9)
Stealth 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Fearless, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons) 3, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Prone Fighting, Ultimate Intimidation Check

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 5 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent, Extended & Ultra-Hearing) [5]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
"Natural Weapons- Claws & Teeth" Strength-Damage +2 [2]

"Cat Agility" Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
"Lion's Mane" Features 2: +4 to Resist Choking Grapples or Neck-Bites [2]
"Natural Size" Growth 1 (Str & Sta +1, +1 Mass, +0 Intimidation, -0 Dodge/Parry, -1 Stealth) -- (8 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [3]

"Demonic Physiology"
"Invisible to Light" Concealment 2 (Visuals) (Flaws: Limited to Within Light Environments) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Claws & Teeth +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +7

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +7, Fortitude +9, Will +8

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Cats cannot speak to humans, nor use their paws to easily manipulate objects.

Total: Abilities: 34 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 13 / Powers: 28 / Defenses: 14 (105)

-Hellcats appear as spectral lions, often being mistaken for Ghostly creatures. They are actually an indigenous, animalistic species native to the Abyss, possibly lions that have been mutated by proximity to this evil dimension.

Jab's Notes: Hellcats are intelligent in D&D, but I instead put ten points of "Demonic" stuff onto a Lion- more fun that way, and makes things a bit different, rather than making EVERYTHING an intelligent menace.
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Totally agree about the intelligence for the Hellcat. Not everything from The Abyss should be smart, it doesn't work that way on every other plane.

Loving the demons/devils run. I was getting ready to jump on that myself but I think I'm going to work on some races and then dragons since they will mostly be reposts but I really want to take another good run through the demon/devils lords, especially Asmodeus. I'm struggling with high end PL for them and an upcoming gods run.
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum