Eldritch City (3E MM)- OOC

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Spectrum

Re: Eldritch City (3E MM)- Closed to New Interest

Post by Spectrum »

EpicEclipse- I was really hoping that you would ask these questions but I guess not.

A. Spectrum, are you allowing the alternate uses for the luck advantage?
Yes, I am! I'm limiting each type of luck to half PL. With total use equal to PL.

B. Anyone know how Spectrum is on the whole needed rolls vs hp economy.
*stands behind Psistrike* Spectrum doesn't call for many rolls. In the whole time we've been playing Neotropolis (like over two years now)- we've only had two combat scenes. We've taken a lot of down time though, too much. Spectrum is pretty free with hps- just don't count on your complications giving them. They're more for his/her sadistic GM tendencies.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Eh, I tend not to ask GMs about special rules. I actually prefer avoiding house rules xD It complicates things.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Psistrike wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:03 am
Flynnarrel wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:34 amI'm having a hard time coming up with link to Lexi other than Phillip (and his new partner Marty) are often sent out to treat victims of the crimes and attacks that Lexi gets involved in. If mages or magic triggers Phillip's ability to smell the supernatural he would look at her funny if she were part of the crowd of watchers. In any case, he'd have her 'scent' if she was at a lot of attacks.
Well, besides the links through other characters, Lexi and Phillip could know each other due to him having to show up at her place of work on more than one occasion. She does work at a nightclub and even the best of those places have their share of incidents happening and brawls breaking from time to time. Drinking and clear heads don't mix often.
The implication here is that he would recognize her scent when he comes a cross scenes of attacks or treats people she’s rescued. He’d probably wonder why she was there. Coupled with the accounts that don’t quite align - fire that doesn’t char, etc. he’ll likely figure out her secret. He’d keep her identity a secret until he learns more.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Bill from Accounting

Post by Bill from Accounting »

Darwin has been updated.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Just getting a few stories started while I have a moment. It does not mean that these are the only characters.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

I haven't been able to much more thought into Layla, so I think I'll just leave her be as is at this time. Still interested if you ever want to bring in new characters, but untill otherwise Ill just step back. You guys have fun!
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Thank you Dr Malsyn. Sorry to hear that we couldn't work out the wrinkles.
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Sadly, I think I will also have to step back for a bit.

I just got back from 4 days of bad travel and wacky in-laws, with a creative output of absolutely zero. I have kind of lost the thread for what I was working on, and it will take a bit to get back up to speed. I will probably finish my build, and then lurk in case of something opening up, but I'm not going to be done for at least a few days. Admittedly, Tessa is likely to be the kind of person who could literally appear anywhere, but I don't want to drag things down pace-wise while I work.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

I think I am going to leave Yasuko as is. I had expended on her background and gave the overall submission a bit more flavor with descriptions of her common sword techniques, but mechanically I haven't found anything that works fluidly enough to warrant a big mechanical change. Even with the alternate Luck Point rules, they only refresh at the start of an adventure, making them arguably no better than relying on hero points, just giving me a head start on how many she starts with each "adventure", rather than something she can recover by resting and recovering magical energy (which would be better simulated with Unreliable's use-based option, taking around an hour to recover, but mechanically annoying to add into any kind of array. 2E would have handled it very well since it could be slapped on the array itself, taking up a "use" each time the array was changed, with a feature caveat that it can switch to her base attack without expending a use)

I think she's fine as is personally, with the small array displaying her regular magical sword techniques with stunts representing more advanced techniques, this way it gives the impression of a more diverse magical sword style without being severely limited on the use of magical techniques as a whole.

Working in a bar that caters to the supernatural, or that acts as a hub for supernatural rumors and news, Yasuko can easily step in at any point, responding to a rumor that lines up with whatever the others are investigating, particularly if what they are investigating is a threat to innocent people.
Last edited by EpicEclipse on Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Spectrum wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:55 pm Special note on Robert Martyn Jr and Tessa - based on some discussion could be in Interweave but need to be completed
Doing that now !

Should have the final sheet up in the next fifteen minutes and then I'll finish writing the background.
We're doing the floors in the basement, and I had to pull off the baseboards. While doing so, I saw a big ass spider... and the background came to me.

Freaky bugger to find in the basement, but I thought it was kinda cool to see a spider and come up with a background for a werespider because of it. :lol:

Robert Martyn Junior (Werespider)

The build is finished to my liking, writing the background now.

And, done.
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Similarly, I have not updated "Binder". I guess I could... I just haven't summoned the need to do so over the holidays. As it is, if he doesn't fit, I'll just back out. :)
Psistrike

Re: Eldritch City (Recruiting, 3E MM)

Post by Psistrike »

And here are the finalized stats for Lexi, the only thing missing are what 7-8 features her Stage magic gives her.
Psistrike wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:59 am And here is the stage magician/illusionist character. Here are her finalized stats. The only thing missing is what features her Stage Magic gives her.

ImageLexi the Dazzling
Quote "Trying to trick me, foolish at best."
Lexi the Dazzling
PL 8

Height: 5'7"
Weight: 130 lbs.
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Black
Race: Caucasian
Identity: Secret
Legal Status: U.S. citizen with no criminal record
Base of Operations: Eldritch City
Team Affiliations: None yet
Concept: Stage magician/illusionist drawn into the world of the supernatural
Marital Status: Single

Abilities: Strength 0, Stamina 2, Agility 2, Dexterity 2, Fighting 2, Intellect 3, Awareness 4, Presence 3

Skills: Deception 6 [+9], Expertise: Illusion Magic 6 [+9], Expertise: Stage Magician 8 [+11], Insight 7 [+11], Investigation 4 [+7], Perception 6 [+10], Ranged Combat: Throwing 6 [+8], Sleight of Hand 9 [+11], Stealth 5 [+7]

Advantages: Benefit 2 [Ambidexterity, Burglar [Sleight of Hand]], Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 2, Equipment, Fascinate [Expertise: Stage Magician], Improved Trip, Improvised Tools, Luck, Redirect, Second Chance [Insight checks vs. Illusions], Skill Mastery 2 [Expertise: Stage Magician, Sleight of Hand], Throwing Mastery 4

Powers:
Illusory Disguise: Feature 1 [Needs no preperation needed for Deception [Disguise] checks] • 1 point
Sense Memory: Feature 1 [Perfect Sense Recall] • 1 point
Stage Magic: Feature 1 [Stage Magic], Variable Descriptor 2 • 3 points
Illusion Casting: Illusion [visual and auditory] 8 • 24 points

Equipment: Disguised Armored Stage Magician Outfit [Subtle Protection 2; 3 ep], Stage Magician Props [1 ep], Various Small Items for Throwing [1 ep]

Offense
Initiative +2
Thrown objects +8, Ranged, Damage 4

Defense
Dodge 8, Parry 5
Toughness 6/4*, Fortitude 4, Will 10
*Without Defensive Roll

Power Points
Abilities 36 + Powers 29 + Advantages 18 + Skills 20 [58 ranks] + Defenses 17 = 117 Total

Complications
Responsibility: She may not have much power, but she feels it is her responsibility to protect others however she can. Solving mysteries and revealing the truth are just a few of her means.
Fame: She is a locally famous stage magician known as Lexi the Dazzling. She has her fans, though so far none seem to have noticed her mixing actual illusions in with her tricks.
Secret: Lexi tries to keep the truth of her illusion magic hidden. She will even avoid using them around those who suspect the truth unless hers or someone else's life is threatened and her illusions could help.
Weakness: Lexi's illusions can only deceive others or disguise her, she hasn't developed her skills further than that. Faced with foes able to simply ignore her illusions, she has to rely on her little self-defense training and throwing skills.

Build Comments: Fitting a stage magician/illusionist into a 120 pp budget took some points juggling to get everything. At least it gives me plenty of room for growth, especially with expanding her Illusion Casting into an array later on.

History: Alexis was born into a family tradition of stage magicians, going back to her great-great-grandfather. Taught the tricks of the trade and family secrets, she picked them up quickly. Yet something felt off, as none of their illusions and prestidigitation ever seemed to match up to the tales of her great-great or even her great grandfather's tricks. Whenever she brought it up, she was told to simply master the tricks she was taught and not worry about such matters.

At 16 a turn of luck came, as she was left home alone for the day. Sneaking into the attic, it seemed to be just dusty boxes and other items all families accumulate over time. Until in the dark corner in the back, she stumbled upon a chest, marked to never open. Drawn to the forbidden, she found a strange tome with even stranger symbols written inside. Going to place it back, she ended up cutting herself on the edge of the chest and her blood came into contact with the tome.

Alexis nearly dropped the tome as it felt like it was on fire, as a blinding light emitted forth. When the burning sensation ended, she opened the tome once more and found she could read it! The first page spelled out its history, her great-great-grandfather had learned the art of illusion magic from a fairy he met in his youth, recording the spells in the tome to keep a record both for himself and to pass down to his descendants.

Alexis began to read on and it seemed it wouldn't be as simple as just reading the spell and practicing it. She had to learn how to hold and channel magical energy first before even the first spell could be cast. With school, socializing with friends, her other activities, and even college, it took her nearly 6 years before she cast her first spell.

Getting a job at a local nightclub as a stage magician, she began simply enough but soon felt drawn to incorporate true illusions into her act. She was a hit, yet she found herself still stuck in her apartment and not getting the wealth she had seen even her father earns. It didn't help she would give her money away to those in need whenever she could, always wishing to make others happy by any means.

But soon she found the city had a side it had kept hidden as well. Walking along, she would get a glimpse of what appeared to be troll before turning only to see a tall, gangly man. Looking in store windows late at night, she would turn around and find one or more people whose reflections she hadn't seen.

It was after a busy night at the club, she was heading back to her apartment when she saw a woman being attacked by a dog. As she got closer, it became apparent it was some kind of hellhound, flayed red flesh that radiated heat and flames issuing from its mouth. Without thought, she distracted it with an illusion of what she believed an angel would appear like, then threw a playing card at it with deadly accuracy.

This was the first time she was drawn into a supernatural mystery in the city. From vampires preying on the homeless to frat idiots summoning demons because they thought it was a joke, so far she has either distracted the threat until the authorities arrived or simply helped innocents escape with their lives. She knows she is just dabbling in this, she isn't trained to deal with these threats, not without backup.

Description: Alexis, 'Lexi' to her friends and fans, is an attractive young woman of undetermined European descent. Her raven-black hair hangs down past her shoulders, while her blue eyes can show joy when entertaining or the fury of a mother bear when protecting an innocent.

She has several outfits but mostly wears her stage magicians costume most of the time. A double-breasted suit with yellow shirt and long black jacket with indigo lining, white gloves, and black shoes, plus a classic magician's top hat. When she so chooses to she can disguise her appearance with a simple illusion, much like a professional disguise without needing the props and make-up.

Powers & Abilities: Lexi is a self-taught, from her great-great grandfather's tome, illusion magic caster. So far her job and other things in her life have kept her from developing them beyond illusions that affect vision and hearing, along with the ability to create simply illusory disguises. Given time and an outside push to use her magic more this could expand to other illusion spells.

She comes from a family of stage magicians and is skilled at sleight of hand and 'illusions', both to entertain others and to trick them when needed. Part of her training included the art of accurately throwing virtually anything she can get her hands on. Due to being drawn into the supernatural world of her city, she has become an amateur detective [at least she thinks she is amateur].

Personality: Alexis is an outgoing, fun-loving young woman who has more than her share of secrets. While she will trust her closest friends and family with almost anything, the fact she wields illusion magic is a secret of her own, a gift from her great-great-grandfather she fears her family would insist she give up if they found out.

When entertaining on a stage, she is energetic and a true showwoman, loving to see the smiles on her audience's faces. When faced with a threat though she becomes deadly serious and will try to trick her foe into harming themselves or removing them from the area. When working on a mystery, it is like it is all she can focus on until it is solved, bugging her until the matter is resolved.

Known Tactics: Lexi the Dazzling will use her skill to craft realistic illusions to fool foes into harming themselves, disguising things like circuit boxes, lamppost, fire hydrants, etc. so they end up hitting them. Using illusions to scare threats away is another tactic if she thinks it will work. She resorts to using thrown weapons and objects only when all other options are exhausted or innocents are threatened.

Friends and Allies: Alexis has her parents, younger brother Justin, and younger sister Julie who will help her when needed. She also can call upon the legal services of Raymond, Slade, and Walcott law firm when needed, though prefers to work with someone closer to her age and females from the firm when possible, as too many older guys from there always use the opportunity to hit on her.

Rivals and Enemies: So far she doesn't know if she has made any enemies with her activities, though it wouldn't surprise her.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Happy New Years folks!
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Thank you for your patience while I dealt with holiday stuffs. I hope that you're excited to get this game started as I am.

I want to thank everybody that showed interest in the game. It's really exciting to see so much care put into something that I'm taking a part in.

Phillip K Dremmond
Lexi Harrington
Darlene Lampwick
Fortinbras
Robert Martyn Jr

Please copy your characters over to here and use it as your sketchpad to keep character ideas together.

Thanks again to everybody!
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

In rereading things.. EC has a Dresden like Masquerade. Spooky stuff is out there but most people are quick to dismiss it because they choose to live in a rational world.