Eldritch City (3E MM)- OOC

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
EpicEclipse

Re: Eldritch City (3E MM)- Closed to New Interest

Post by EpicEclipse »

Tiers of acceptance? Interesting idea, definitely curious where Yasuko sits on it.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

I'm curious too, for Layla.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:27 pm I'm curious too, for Layla.
You're curious where Yasuko is on the tier list? :P
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

EpicEclipse wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:28 pm
Doctor Malsyn wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:27 pm I'm curious too, for Layla.
You're curious where Yasuko is on the tier list? :P
Well, while I am for for everyone really, I refer to Layla specifically. ;P
------------
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Looking through the setting thread, it looks like Buffalo, NY has become Eldritch City. Can I roll with that for background locations and so on?
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Is Eldritch City Buffalo New York? Well... kinda. It might be better to say that one of the influences is my greatuncle's stories of Buffalo. EC also takes influence from several other places. So, if you're a resident, sorry to say.. I'm not :)
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Not a resident- but I find it helps to have a real locale to build from when I putting a background together. It provides some structure, being able to use extant information instead of weaving from whole cloth- it answers things like "Do they have a zoo, colleges, airport, etc.?", how many people?

Wikipedia is a marvelous thing when working on a background- but not QUITE as much fun as playing in a d20 Modern Horror High game that was set in the town next door to where my sister-in-law lives...

Anyway, for convenience, I will probably use some Buffalo setting info- if needed I can edit, but this helps fill out the framework.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Three tiers-
Interweave- You can start comparing character sheets, further developing backgrounds and histories. Complications may not earn hp all the time (low number of rolls means less need to use hp) but tell me what kind of stories you want me to write around your character. I mine backgrounds heavily to inform me about your character's world. If you're here, I already have my first narrative for the character ready to go. Also, please start working with other players at this level to work out potential connections and balance out character sheets.

Polish- The biggest field. I think that they could be a good match, but... Give me something more to sink my teeth into. Help me see the shine to the character. How do I better fit this piece into the overall puzzle? In a few cases, I don't know what I'm missing other than a general it needs to be about 20% cooler- whatever that means. This is also my ongoing recruitment short list.

Salvage- Thank you for your interest but well.. not quite what we're looking for at this time? I'm not saying to give up hope but it'll take a lot of work to bring it up into that top tier BUT it might be able to be done.

Also, you may have an incredible build but I'm looking for characters that I think we can tell fun stories around. I often tell Jab that I skip over his builds and go right for the commentary. This might also tell you that I'm not a GM that you want running a game you play in. Thank goodness the world is big enough to have all kinds of styles!

Interweave- Phillip K Dremmond, Lexi Harrington, Darlene Lampwick, Fortinbras

Polish (High)- Binder, Darwin, Layla, Yasuko

Salvage- Johnny Janus, Yellow Pilgrim, Robert Martyn Jr, Tessa

Special note on Robert Martyn Jr and Tessa - based on some discussion could be in Interweave but need to be completed
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Hmm... I'm not sure what else I can do to make Layla more "polished" as it were, but I can try to touch it up somewhere. Do you have a general area to nudge me in, or are you not really sure?
------------
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

I suppose Yasuko's background does focus more on where she came from, and not so much her place in modern day. I'll work on that when I get some time. I think it was an intention to be a little blank slateish, though that's not really exactly what I was going for.

I think we never really got an answer whether a bar that sort of works like a congregation point for the "weird" of Eldritch City, a place one could hear about rumors of the dark super natural that could use a sharp sword to look into sort of thin, but that was what I was kinda thinking, but I'll just world build it in for the sake of Yasuko's background.

Edit: I added 2 paragraphs to a 4 paragraph background, so that's an extra 50% right? ;) But in seriousness, the new addition focuses on more how she came to where she is in the present day.

I also made a slight change to her enemy, the evil katana forged by Muramasa. It still has similar abilities to use magic sword techniques, but rather than form it's own body, it possesses people and uses illusions to deceive people (useful for finding new hosts to draw the sword). I think it makes him a more implacable enemy with more options for use in the campaign than just being an evil carbon copy of Yasuko.
Heritage367

Post by Heritage367 »

Lexi could be a client of the law firm where Darlene works; an attractive and popular entertainer has all sorts of legal issues to deal with, like negotiating contracts, handling copyright disputes and obtaining restraining orders. And perhaps her family has been represented by them in the past? The Harringtons and Charles Raymond could go way back.

As far as Philip goes, EMTs are often dealing with law enforcement, which is just one hop away from the legal profession. Maybe Darlene did work for Jodi's family as part of a civil suit against the ambulance company after she disappeared?

As far as stories for Darlene go, I see her digging deeper into the dark history of EC as well as her former boss. I see her living in an apartment with Louise, the one person she's shared her secret with, and worrying that her search for truth will somehow hurt her big sister, and I see paranoia and desperate chases and clients with glowing red eyes. All kinds of fun!

BTW, this webpage actually does a good job of describing the nature of paralegal work, so I offer it as a resource :ugeek:
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

I'm thinking of changing Tessa's background, so that she is more solidly streetwise (And incidentally criminal, though still reformed) and less supernatural, having a less solid hold on her abilities. Would that work a bit better?

Either way, I want to think on it, or rather sleep on it. Will update tomorrow, one way or another.
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

This is going to be a busy weekend for everyone, I'm sure. I'm not sure how much time I'll have to check in, but:

Fortinbras is a private investigator. One idea I had, based on how "open" the supernatural is in Eldritch City, is that he would either have a public office or if there's more a of a Veil situation, he would use a booth at that bar people have talked about as his office.

As a private investigator, though, he may also have done work for a law office or had run-ins with EMTs or police and the like in the normal course of his cases.

That's just off the top of my head; I apologize for not having the time to review other characters at the moment.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

I like the idea that Darlene helped in Jodi's missing person case. We could take it a step further and say that Darlene helped Phillip get his life back after being found and declared dead. And a step further... three+ years ago (before Phillip was 'turned') he and Jodi pulled Darlene from the river where she almost drowned. This would have been a small claim to fame that Darlene would have easily come across after she awoke. Maybe she went to find and thank her rescuers only to find the situation where Phillip is fighting to keep the only job he knows and Jodi is missing.
Phillip would have to rely on attorney-client privilege and divulge why he can't make daytime court appearances.
Your time line, Heritage, is that the accident happened three years ago but she was in a three-year coma. You might want it to be longer since she was awake to regain her life, practice her powers, etc.

Fortinbras could definitely have Phillip as a source of information on medical matters or even a consultant concerning forensic medicine (a hobby of his). Phillip can also smell and track (including smelling the supernatural) and his ability to talk to rats might come in really handy on cases. I can see the two of them having the closest working relationship.

I'm having a hard time coming up with link to Lexi other than Phillip (and his new partner Marty) are often sent out to treat victims of the crimes and attacks that Lexi gets involved in. If mages or magic triggers Phillip's ability to smell the supernatural he would look at her funny if she were part of the crowd of watchers. In any case, he'd have her 'scent' if she was at a lot of attacks.
"Something pithy this way comes."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Yasuko got another little update, refining the description of her magic sword techniques to give a better visualization. Also added an idea off her intended progression if she makes the cut.