Eldritch City (3E MM)- OOC

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
pathfinderq1

Re: Eldritch City (Recruiting, 3E MM)

Post by pathfinderq1 »

So how much is this going to be a "Supers with an occult/paranormal angle" versus "Occult investigators who happen to have superpowers"? That would help me narrow my field of ideas. (that is, would concepts like a battlesuit of arcane design or a very obvious fire wizard be appropriate, or should we think more subtly

Also, any idea on the likely ratio of Investigation to RP to super-fights? Mostly, would a character who is RP and investigation heavy but very combat light (especially superhuman combat) be a meaningful choice? And on the opposite side of that coin, would a Buffyverse-style Slayer be appropriate?
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Spectrum wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:29 pm
MacynSnow wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:50 am
Spectrum wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:27 am I like rich backstories especially if people are willing to work on the details.

Also, to clarify, I'm okay with people that delve into the occult. I just want to have them defined in how they deal with the occult. They are rare and not publicly known (or at least easily publically dismissed)- and have areas of knowledge rather than the generic area of magic.

I'm curious to hear what you're thinking about.
I happen to have a character made for a different game called Cerberus.He used a Greek/Roman theme to his magic(Artemis' Shield,Prometheus' Flame,Pegasus Wings,Hippolyta's Belt,The Gates of Olympus,Hercules' Might,Hades Kennel,Argus' Sight,etc.) who was taught by his "Crazy" Uncle Omar,a major NPC Sorcerer in the magical underground of the game setting(basically a more scholarly,non-active version of Dr.Strange).I didn't want to step on your GM toes and add something you might not want added,so i thought i'd better run it by you first.........
Lots of artifacts in one place and artifacts that a lot of people would like to get their hands on. Also, would these be purchased as powers or as removable? If removable, I'll need to come up with fun ways to justify the purchase discount. :twisted:
They were used mostly as a power description(the PC i'm talking about was a typical Sorcerer)for my arrays,but yes my "crasy"Uncle Omar DOES have several artifacts in one place.......
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Got slammed yesterday. I intended to post this to give a hint.

We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

General thoughts- I'm pretty happy with the characters that I've seen so far. Thanks for the interest!

I think that some of the characters would be more interesting at earlier points in their careers than what is presented, getting to those point rather than starting from there.

On Factions- Quite a few that will come in time. Dresden/Hollows/Lost Girl are good examples. All of oWoD is probably a little overcomplicated for the game.

Doctor Malsyn- Tell me more about Consume Emotion? My first thought is whether it is a complication or if you intend to do anything with it? Deep character with a lot of worldbuilding. I'll need to digest on it more before giving better comments.

Epic Eclipse- Both are interesting ideas.I see that they are very divergent ideas and my choice in one or the other would go along with themes of your character and the greater game. Which one do you like more?

Flynnarrel- Would PKD get involved in the Vampire Courts or is he ignorant of the bigger picture? This character concepts also allows for putting in a lot of weirdness. The array is a little wide for my tastes. I don't have problems with you being unable to be in the sunlight.

Fuzzyboots- I really like 'Lemon DooDoo' but pick the one you want.

Heritage367- "paralegal, which gives her some decent investigator chops" had to smile at this idea. So.. Erin Brokovich with psychic powers? I'll have to give some thought to telekinesis AND telepathy instead of OR.

MacynSnow- Hard to say much with current information. Right now, I think that the theme of the character would be focused on it being dangerous to have so many artifacts in one place.

Psistrike- I'm trouble getting a good handle on the concept. Say more?

RainOnTheSun- I like the idea of a negotiator, or really more, someone that is becoming a negotiator. Or a fixer, or a information broker or.. someone at the center of a social network. That would allow me to roll out world creation more as we go rather than having to frontload. If you want to choose a few factions that you want to explore, that would give me a better starting place.

Also, as a question of preferences, would people prefer to hear my major concerns earlier or later in the process?
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

pathfinderq1 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:53 pm So how much is this going to be a "Supers with an occult/paranormal angle" versus "Occult investigators who happen to have superpowers"? That would help me narrow my field of ideas. (that is, would concepts like a battlesuit of arcane design or a very obvious fire wizard be appropriate, or should we think more subtly

Also, any idea on the likely ratio of Investigation to RP to super-fights? Mostly, would a character who is RP and investigation heavy but very combat light (especially superhuman combat) be a meaningful choice? And on the opposite side of that coin, would a Buffyverse-style Slayer be appropriate?
Investigation and RP will overwhelm combat. Many fights will be more of a puzzle style. You might need to be clever and sometimes the best answer is to retreat and come back when you can get things on your terms.

On the first question- Yes? I'm looking for a wider variety of characters without getting into the whole capes and cowls crowd. A pyrokinetic or a Dresden like invoker can work. In the later Dresden books, Molly takes on a costumed identity. Doctor Fate is stretching things.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Spectrum wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:42 pm Doctor Malsyn- Tell me more about Consume Emotion? My first thought is whether it is a complication or if you intend to do anything with it? Deep character with a lot of worldbuilding. I'll need to digest on it more before giving better comments.
I had given that some though while constructing her build, even plated around with a couple ideas regarding it. In the end though, I felt it would be better to just leave the idea of emotional conception behind. What magic she has is simply an innate part of her being rather then being sourced from something specific.

Thank you for your other thoughts, I was feeling a little inspired while I was creating her.
Spectrum wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:42 pm Also, as a question of preferences, would people prefer to hear my major concerns earlier or later in the process?
I'd like to hear any major problems you'd have first, so we could adress those before getting too far along.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Also, as a question of preferences, would people prefer to hear my major concerns earlier or later in the process?
Defiantly prefer to hear earlier than later. I'm usually amiable to making changes for problematic things unless it's a key point if the build, then at least I know to switch up to something else.

As for which of the two ideas I like more.... Well, that's not so easy a question to answer. I like them both or I wouldn't have suggested both. :P

The living weapon idea would be a sort of Captain America person out of their time sort of thing. Not so experienced with the modern world or things like investigation techniques but might have some mystical insights and of course a powerful force against creatures of darkness and evil. And this is regardless of which mythological weapon I opt to use. Different ones may have different useful attributes.

The mortal with an entity of darkness in them might be a little more intriguing over time as I definitely have a sort of personal plot string to go along with it regarding the dark entity. The mortal would be versed in modern times and I would also be able to give them a suitably useful profession while the dark entity would have supernatural leanings and knowledge to tap into.

So, that all being said, it sounds like the second concept is the better fitting for the setting. I'll draft up a build for it when I get home after work.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Spectrum wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:42 pm Flynnarrel- Would PKD get involved in the Vampire Courts or is he ignorant of the bigger picture? This character concepts also allows for putting in a lot of weirdness. The array is a little wide for my tastes. I don't have problems with you being unable to be in the sunlight.
Phillip would try to avoid the greater politics. He considers himself a 'mistake vampire', nor really knowing his sire and generally tries to keep his head down. He can always be pulled into politics though.

I'd love to be PM'ed about any major concerns or suggestions to help my submission better fit in to the world you're crafting and /or be more comfortable power-wise.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Heritage367

Post by Heritage367 »

Spectrum wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:42 pmHeritage367- "paralegal, which gives her some decent investigator chops" had to smile at this idea. So.. Erin Brokovich with psychic powers? I'll have to give some thought to telekinesis AND telepathy instead of OR.
The original pitch was always 'Erin Brockovitch meets Jean Grey', so you got it exactly! If you had to drop one, drop TP, but for the record, I'm thinking her TK would probably cap at 500 lbs with Precise. We could also limit TP to sensing emotions if you want.

Another idea I had was to give her an AP to her TK in the form of Protection with the Flaw: Limited to Physical Attacks. In other words, she could stop bullets, knives and fists, but lasers and other non-physical energy attacks would not be stopped. This power would be purely defensive, since she can't throw objects and shield herself at the same time. Just something else to think about!
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Spectrum wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:42 pm General thoughts- I'm pretty happy with the characters that I've seen so far. Thanks for the interest!

I think that some of the characters would be more interesting at earlier points in their careers than what is presented, getting to those point rather than starting from there.

On Factions- Quite a few that will come in time. Dresden/Hollows/Lost Girl are good examples. All of oWoD is probably a little overcomplicated for the game.

Psistrike- I'm trouble getting a good handle on the concept. Say more?

Basically, another branch of reapers exists who wield spears and help police the supernatural beings of the world, besides spirits and escaped souls from afterlives. They have the power to see through illusions and other supernatural means of disguise and simply monitor supernatural beings unless intervention is needed. Peaceful resolutions are preferred if possible, but if a supernatural being has harmed or killed a normal human they will use lethal force to end it and destroy any remains to cover it up. The character was going to be the daughter of a retired spear reaper who kept his spear, by wielding it to protect a friend from a demon some idiots summoned which broke loose she took up the mantle of a spear reaper and is still learning.

But reading your other post about what kind of campaign this is, less focused on combat, I'm thinking I should go back to the stage magician/illusionist with some investigative skills she's picked up solving mysteries. The spear reaper concept sounds more like an NPC for this kind of campaign. :oops:
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

And here is the stage magician/illusionist character. Here are her finalized stats. The only thing missing is what features her Stage Magic gives her.

ImageLexi the Dazzling
Quote "Trying to trick me, foolish at best."
Lexi the Dazzling
PL 8

Height: 5'7"
Weight: 130 lbs.
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Black
Race: Caucasian
Identity: Secret
Legal Status: U.S. citizen with no criminal record
Base of Operations: Eldritch City
Team Affiliations: None yet
Concept: Stage magician/illusionist drawn into the world of the supernatural
Marital Status: Single

Abilities: Strength 0, Stamina 2, Agility 2, Dexterity 2, Fighting 2, Intellect 3, Awareness 4, Presence 3

Skills: Deception 6 [+9], Expertise: Illusion Magic 6 [+9], Expertise: Stage Magician 8 [+11], Insight 7 [+11], Investigation 4 [+7], Perception 6 [+10], Ranged Combat: Throwing 6 [+8], Sleight of Hand 9 [+11], Stealth 5 [+7]

Advantages: Benefit 2 [Ambidexterity, Burglar [Sleight of Hand]], Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 2, Equipment, Fascinate [Expertise: Stage Magician], Improved Trip, Improvised Tools, Luck, Redirect, Second Chance [Insight checks vs. Illusions], Skill Mastery 2 [Expertise: Stage Magician, Sleight of Hand], Throwing Mastery 4

Powers:
Illusory Disguise: Feature 1 [Needs no preperation needed for Deception [Disguise] checks] • 1 point
Sense Memory: Feature 1 [Perfect Sense Recall] • 1 point
Stage Magic: Feature 1 [Stage Magic], Variable Descriptor 2 • 3 points
Illusion Casting: Illusion [visual and auditory] 8 • 24 points

Equipment: Disguised Armored Stage Magician Outfit [Subtle Protection 2; 3 ep], Stage Magician Props [1 ep], Various Small Items for Throwing [1 ep]

Offense
Initiative +2
Thrown objects +8, Ranged, Damage 4

Defense
Dodge 8, Parry 5
Toughness 6/4*, Fortitude 4, Will 10
*Without Defensive Roll

Power Points
Abilities 36 + Powers 29 + Advantages 18 + Skills 20 [58 ranks] + Defenses 17 = 117 Total

Complications
Responsibility: She may not have much power, but she feels it is her responsibility to protect others however she can. Solving mysteries and revealing the truth are just a few of her means.
Fame: She is a locally famous stage magician known as Lexi the Dazzling. She has her fans, though so far none seem to have noticed her mixing actual illusions in with her tricks.
Secret: Lexi tries to keep the truth of her illusion magic hidden. She will even avoid using them around those who suspect the truth unless hers or someone else's life is threatened and her illusions could help.
Weakness: Lexi's illusions can only deceive others or disguise her, she hasn't developed her skills further than that. Faced with foes able to simply ignore her illusions, she has to rely on her little self-defense training and throwing skills.

Build Comments: Fitting a stage magician/illusionist into a 120 pp budget took some points juggling to get everything. At least it gives me plenty of room for growth, especially with expanding her Illusion Casting into an array later on.

History: Alexis was born into a family tradition of stage magicians, going back to her great-great-grandfather. Taught the tricks of the trade and family secrets, she picked them up quickly. Yet something felt off, as none of their illusions and prestidigitation ever seemed to match up to the tales of her great-great or even her great grandfather's tricks. Whenever she brought it up, she was told to simply master the tricks she was taught and not worry about such matters.

At 16 a turn of luck came, as she was left home alone for the day. Sneaking into the attic, it seemed to be just dusty boxes and other items all families accumulate over time. Until in the dark corner in the back, she stumbled upon a chest, marked to never open. Drawn to the forbidden, she found a strange tome with even stranger symbols written inside. Going to place it back, she ended up cutting herself on the edge of the chest and her blood came into contact with the tome.

Alexis nearly dropped the tome as it felt like it was on fire, as a blinding light emitted forth. When the burning sensation ended, she opened the tome once more and found she could read it! The first page spelled out its history, her great-great-grandfather had learned the art of illusion magic from a fairy he met in his youth, recording the spells in the tome to keep a record both for himself and to pass down to his descendants.

Alexis began to read on and it seemed it wouldn't be as simple as just reading the spell and practicing it. She had to learn how to hold and channel magical energy first before even the first spell could be cast. With school, socializing with friends, her other activities, and even college, it took her nearly 6 years before she cast her first spell.

Getting a job at a local nightclub as a stage magician, she began simply enough but soon felt drawn to incorporate true illusions into her act. She was a hit, yet she found herself still stuck in her apartment and not getting the wealth she had seen even her father earns. It didn't help she would give her money away to those in need whenever she could, always wishing to make others happy by any means.

But soon she found the city had a side it had kept hidden as well. Walking along, she would get a glimpse of what appeared to be troll before turning only to see a tall, gangly man. Looking in store windows late at night, she would turn around and find one or more people whose reflections she hadn't seen.

It was after a busy night at the club, she was heading back to her apartment when she saw a woman being attacked by a dog. As she got closer, it became apparent it was some kind of hellhound, flayed red flesh that radiated heat and flames issuing from its mouth. Without thought, she distracted it with an illusion of what she believed an angel would appear like, then threw a playing card at it with deadly accuracy.

This was the first time she was drawn into a supernatural mystery in the city. From vampires preying on the homeless to frat idiots summoning demons because they thought it was a joke, so far she has either distracted the threat until the authorities arrived or simply helped innocents escape with their lives. She knows she is just dabbling in this, she isn't trained to deal with these threats, not without backup.

Description: Alexis, 'Lexi' to her friends and fans, is an attractive young woman of undetermined European descent. Her raven-black hair hangs down past her shoulders, while her blue eyes can show joy when entertaining or the fury of a mother bear when protecting an innocent.

She has several outfits but mostly wears her stage magicians costume most of the time. A double-breasted suit with yellow shirt and long black jacket with indigo lining, white gloves, and black shoes, plus a classic magician's top hat. When she so chooses to she can disguise her appearance with a simple illusion, much like a professional disguise without needing the props and make-up.

Powers & Abilities: Lexi is a self-taught, from her great-great grandfather's tome, illusion magic caster. So far her job and other things in her life have kept her from developing them beyond illusions that affect vision and hearing, along with the ability to create simply illusory disguises. Given time and an outside push to use her magic more this could expand to other illusion spells.

She comes from a family of stage magicians and is skilled at sleight of hand and 'illusions', both to entertain others and to trick them when needed. Part of her training included the art of accurately throwing virtually anything she can get her hands on. Due to being drawn into the supernatural world of her city, she has become an amateur detective [at least she thinks she is amateur].

Personality: Alexis is an outgoing, fun-loving young woman who has more than her share of secrets. While she will trust her closest friends and family with almost anything, the fact she wields illusion magic is a secret of her own, a gift from her great-great-grandfather she fears her family would insist she give up if they found out.

When entertaining on a stage, she is energetic and a true showwoman, loving to see the smiles on her audience's faces. When faced with a threat though she becomes deadly serious and will try to trick her foe into harming themselves or removing them from the area. When working on a mystery, it is like it is all she can focus on until it is solved, bugging her until the matter is resolved.

Known Tactics: Lexi the Dazzling will use her skill to craft realistic illusions to fool foes into harming themselves, disguising things like circuit boxes, lamppost, fire hydrants, etc. so they end up hitting them. Using illusions to scare threats away is another tactic if she thinks it will work. She resorts to using thrown weapons and objects only when all other options are exhausted or innocents are threatened.

Friends and Allies: Alexis has her parents, younger brother Justin, and younger sister Julie who will help her when needed. She also can call upon the legal services of Raymond, Slade, and Walcott law firm when needed, though prefers to work with someone closer to her age and females from the firm when possible, as too many older guys from there always use the opportunity to hit on her.

Rivals and Enemies: So far she doesn't know if she has made any enemies with her activities, though it wouldn't surprise her.
Last edited by Psistrike on Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Spectrum wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:42 pm MacynSnow- Hard to say much with current information. Right now, I think that the theme of the character would be focused on it being dangerous to have so many artifacts in one place.

I always like the combo idea of Warehouse 13 meets Constantine in a character.I should have him up for reviews by the end of the week.....
I actually don't mind hearing them early,as it lets me address them quicker.....
Heritage367

Post by Heritage367 »

I also agree on earlier concerns.
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

So this weekend has been a total loss in terms of creative output- I'll try to get a concept pitch up in the next day or two. It is, as usual, a matter of too MANY ideas, rather than too FEW- I'm watching the other concepts go up, and letting them narrow my field a little.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Quick question, Spectrum, the 3 skill points per power point, does that apply to the combat skills?