Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
M4C8

Re: Jab's Builds! (Red Ronin! Latino Heroes! Shang-Chi! Fu Manchu!)

Post by M4C8 »

I think I've mentioned before that it often annoys me just how easily characters such as Shockwave job, he and others like him are supposed to be bad-ass professional spies/soldiers even before they become costumed villains and yet they never seem to be able to hold their own against any hero, let alone defeat them. They even lose to low powered/non powered newbies.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Jabroniville

The Yellow Claw

Post by Jabroniville »

I love how guys like this are often LITERALLY yellow. Like, I live in a city with 13% Asians, and I ain't never seen skin tone like this unless it's a white person with liver problems.

THE YELLOW CLAW (Plan Chu, aka The Golden Claw)
Created By:
Al Feldstein & Joe Maneely
First Appearance: Yellow Claw #1 (Oct. 1956)
Role: Forgotten Villain, "Yellow Peril" Character
PL 10 (213)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 7 AWARENESS 5 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Deception 8 (+12)
Expertise (Science) 8 (+15)
Expertise (History) 8 (+15)
Expertise (Magic) 4 (+11)
Expertise (Criminal) 4 (+11)
Insight 5 (+10)
Intimidation 2 (+6)
Investigation 5 (+10)
Perception 5 (+10)
Stealth 3 (+6)
Technology 8 (+15)

Advantages:
Benefit 5 (Khan), Connected, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Initiative, Inventor, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5

Powers:
"Reanimate the Dead" Summon Zombie 2 (Extras: 8 Zombies +6, Horde) [18]
"Martial Artist" Strength-Damage +2 [2]

Illusion (All Senses) 10 (Flaws: Mental) [40]
Immunity 1 (Aging) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Illusion -- (+10 Illusion, DC 10)
Initiative +10

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +5, Fortitude +7, Will +9

Complications:
Motivation (Greed & Power)- The Yellow Claw has devoted his life to ruling civilisation, and defeating the West with his own culture. He runs a massive criminal organization.
Relatoinship (Suwan)- The Claw's grandneice is his closest relative. Alas, she is in love with his arch-nemesis, Jimmy Woo.
Enemy (Jimmy Woo)- FBI Agent Woo has fought against The Yellow Claw at every opportunity, though is actually being groomed to be the Claw's heir.
Power Loss (Ageless)- The Yellow Claw must regularly injest an elixir to retain immortality.

Total: Abilities: 92 / Skills: 60--30 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 61 / Defenses: 14 (213)

-The Yellow Claw was the star of his own eponymous series in the 1950s (a very bad time for what would become Marvel Comics), acting as a Fu Manchu rip-off in an espionage series featuring what's got to be one of the first Asian protagonists in the comic books- Jimmy Woo, as an FBI agent sent to oppose the Communist mandarin. The series was short-lived (much like Marvel's numerous attempts to make Woo's later team, The Agents of Atlas, popular), but the Claw himself would return in Jim Steranko's Nick Fury series. He would later confound Fury, Captain America, The Avengers (he attempted to sterilize mankind, then father children with genetically-superior women), Nova and others, and would reappear a few more times (such as the Black Lama's "War of the Super-Villains"). He even almost killed The Mandarin once!

-Modern times saw him repackaged as a more well-meaning sort, who was attempting to groom Agent Woo (who is REALLY unusual, given his time of creation) into being his replacement. Oh, and his name (iconic of the "Yellow Peril" era of Asian-fearmongering stories of jaundiced, moustachioed mystics) is actually supposed to be "Golden Claw". Then he committed suicide, allowing himself to be eaten by a dragon, so that there "would not be TWO Khans".

-The Yellow Claw is Mandarin-esque (they're based off of the same general concept), but he's more of an ageless mystic who happens to be a great fighter. He's also more likely to be using a "Device of the Day" kind of thing, being an end-game villain who plans for contingencies and has something for everyone, not a guy who'll show up just to brawl.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 04, 2022 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
M4C8

Re: Jab's Builds! (Shang-Chi! Fu Manchu! Shockwave! Yellow Claw!)

Post by M4C8 »

I don't know what it says about me but it never even occurred to me that he was yellow because of race, I just assumed it was a side effect of his elixirs/mysticism.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

I have seen Yellow Claw in that silver band outfit before--is it metal? Like armor?

Also, Lady Lotus is an obscure fave--is she related to him? If so, any plans to profile her?
Ken

Post by Ken »

Asian characters, in general, have left me a little jaundiced about how skin coloring was generated in comics.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

There are several Marvel alien races that are actually yellow, right? Maybe he's one of those.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Ken wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:55 pm Asian characters, in general, have left me a little jaundiced about how skin coloring was generated in comics.
*rimshot*
bsdigitalq

Post by bsdigitalq »

Ken wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:55 pm Asian characters, in general, have left me a little jaundiced about how skin coloring was generated in comics.
Jabroniville

Meiko Yin

Post by Jabroniville »

THE DRAGONFLY III (Meiko Yin)
Created By:
Tom DeFalco & Steve Skroce
First Appearance: The Amazing Spider-Man #421 (March 1997)
Role: Martial Artist, Assassin
Country of Origin: Korea
PL 8 (96)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 5 (+8)
Expertise (Assassin) 6 (+7)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 2 (+5)
Perception 5 (+8)
Stealth 2 (+8)

Advantages: 
Accurate Attack, Equipment 1 (Katana +3), Improved Critical (Sword), Improved Defense, Improved Trip, Ranged Attack 1

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Katana +11 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Power)- Meiko seeks to move up in the ranks of the True Believers.
Responsibility (The True Believers)- Meiko is part of a secretive Korean ninja-ish organization.

Total: Abilities: 70 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 9 (96)

-Meiko Yin trained with her fiance, Karsano, in the martial arts, but had to fight Karsano when he was ordered by their sensei to kill Meiko as a test of his loyalty. She and Spider-Man defeated him numerous times, and he committed ritual suicide as a result. Their sensei, Madam Qwa, then informed Meiko that she had "passed the test". She trained with some "True Believers", and was thus sent against Joe "Robbie" Robertson of the Daily Bugle. However, THEY were then attacked by ELECTRO, who'd been hired to kill them. Spider-Man & Robbie saved her life, so she spared Robertson. Meiko was then ordered to kill her cousin- a Daily Bugle Reporter- but fled rather than do it. Meiko quit the cult after Spider-Man and Elektra (who'd been on the Believers' tail after learning that The Hand was moving against them) saved her.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 04, 2022 1:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Mister M

Post by Jabroniville »

MISTER M (Absolon Zebardyn Mercator)
Created By:
David Hine & David Yardin
First Appearance: District X #2 (2004)
Role: Super-Mutant
Group Affiliations: None
PL 12 (228)
STRENGTH
2/12 STAMINA 3/13 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Deception 2 (+6)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 2 (+6)
Persuasion 4 (+8)
Stealth 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Omega-Level Molecular Control"
Transform Anything to Anything Else 10 (Extras: Continuous) [60]
"Remove Powers" Nullify All Powers 6 (Extras: Continuous +3, Broad) [30]
"Alter Powers" Variable 2 (Extras: Continuous) (Flaws: Limited to Existing Powers) [14]
"Create Life" Summon Creatures 1 [2]

"Super-Strength" Enhanced Strength & Stamina 10 (40) -- [46]
  • AE: "Intangibility" Insubstantial 4 (20)
  • AE: Healing 10 (20)
  • AE: "Telekinesis" Move Object 12 (24)
  • AE: Mind Control 10 (40)
  • AE: Blast 14 (Feats: Variable 2- Any Energy) (28)
  • AE: Blast 12 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (36)
Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Super-Strength +6 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Blast +8 (+14 Ranged Damage, DC 29)
Blast +12 Area (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 27)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3 (+13 Super-Strength), Fortitude +5, Will +8

Complications: 
Motivation (Redemption)- Andrea, broken over his sister's death, has instead become a hero of sorts.

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 152 / Defenses: 14 (228)

-Mister M is a Belgian Mutant, created for the failed District X book (a "Cop Show"-type book themed around a Mutant village within Manhattan). He kept to himself, but used his powerful abilities to sow some chaos, such as nullifying a boy's ability to produce a drug that much of Mutant Town (a ghetto, by this point) had become addicted to. He decided to cleanse Mutant Town by destroying it, but was confronted over it, asking him if he'd take it all back if he could. When he agreed, it was revealed that it was all an illusion created by another Mutant, and Bishop (who was the main character of District X) had absorbed the energies he was using.

-The character acknowledged his flaws and became more of a force for good, though some enemies he'd made nearly killed him. He was later one of the "198" Mutants to retain their powers following M-Day, joining the Xavier Institution. The X-Men are leery of his immense power, and he soon forms a mini-cult around himself, but is killed by a mind-controlled Magma after a guy named Johnny Dee (another enemy) has Leech take away Mr. M's powers. However, the characters soon find his coffin empty, with butterflies (Mr. M's favorite animal) fluttering away from it- it's implied he'd "evolved" to a better form.

-Kind of an odd, short-lived character. I dislike "Oh look, another Mutant with Omega-Level Powers" storytelling, as it's pretty lazy and there's a MILLION of these guys, and they dealt with him pretty quickly. I guess they had their fun.

-Mister M has your classic "Lots And Lots Of Powers" concept, complete with strength enhancements, Healing, Telekinesis, Mind Control and what-have-you.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 04, 2022 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Red Ronin! Latino Heroes! Shang-Chi! Fu Manchu!)

Post by Jabroniville »

M4C8 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:23 pm I think I've mentioned before that it often annoys me just how easily characters such as Shockwave job, he and others like him are supposed to be bad-ass professional spies/soldiers even before they become costumed villains and yet they never seem to be able to hold their own against any hero, let alone defeat them. They even lose to low powered/non powered newbies.
Yeah, it's unfortunate. Issue is, he has a distinctive look and is an "orphaned" villain. so he has no defender to keep him from being fed to random heroes.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Goldar wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:25 pm I have seen Yellow Claw in that silver band outfit before--is it metal? Like armor?

Also, Lady Lotus is an obscure fave--is she related to him? If so, any plans to profile her?
Hm, I was gonna leave her for the "L" bit, but since she's a foreigner and you asked for her, here she is!
Jabroniville

Lady Lotus

Post by Jabroniville »

LADY LOTUS
Created By:
Don Glut, Rick Hoberg, Chic Stone & Alan Kupperberg
First Appearance: The Invaders #37 (Feb. 1979)
Role: Evil Foreigner, "Dragon Lady" Femme Fatale
Group Affiliations: The Super-Axis
PL 9 (161)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 5

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+6)
Athletics 4 (+5)
Deception 5 (+10, +12 Attractive)
Expertise (Japanese Spy) 5 (+8)
Insight 3 (+7)
Investigation 3 (+7)
Perception 4 (+8)
Persuasion 4 (+9, +11 Attractive)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Equipment 4 (Nazi Gear, Whip, Guns, etc.), Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Whip) 2, Improved Disarm, Improved Hold, Improved Trip, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Startle, Takedown

Powers:
Mind Control 9 (Feats: Dynamic) (37) -- [40]
  • Dynamic AE: "Telepathy" Communication (Mental) 2 Linked to Mind-Reading 8 (Feats: Dynamic) (27)
  • Dynamic AE: "Clairvoyance" Remote Sensing 12 (Visuals & Hearing) (Feats: Subtle 2, Dynamic) (Flaws: Physical Body is Defenselss) (27)
  • Dynamic AE: "Mental Illusions" Illusion (All Senses) 8 (Feats: Dynamic) (Flaws: Resisted by Will) (33)
  • Dynamic AE: "Group Mind Control" Mind Control 6 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2, Selective) (Flaws: Touch Range -2) (31)
Senses 4 (Precognition) [4]
Immunity 1 (Aging) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Mind Control -- (+9 Perception Affliction, DC 19)
Mind-Reading -- (+8, DC 18)
Group Control +6 Area (+6 Affliction, DC 16)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +2, Fortitude +4, Will +5

Complications:
Responsibility (Japanese Government)
Enemy (The Invaders, Young Allies)- Japan's enemies are Lady Lotus' enemies.
Power Loss (Lotus Blossoms)- Lady Lotus must periodically touch or bathe Lotus Blossoms to use her powers to their fullest- after a certain period without them, her powers will diminish.

Total: Abilities: 66 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 21 / Powers: 45 / Defenses: 11 (161)

-While Warrior Woman is the "Ilsa" of the Invaders' foes in terms of Evil Fetish Fuel super-babes, Lady Lotus is the stereotypical "Dragon Lady", that omnipresent trope in early works featuring Oriental seductresses working their wiles on hapless Westerners. Lotus here is also a very powerful Psionic (usually called "hypnosis" back in the day) through mystical training, and she's based off of a girl who was supposed to be Fu Manchu's daughter in old pulp magazines. It's implied that she was raped by the U-Man to create Nia Noble, a super-character in modern times, in revenge for mind-controlling him once, and she's apparently STILL ALIVE, because God knows even MARVEL can't let it's Golden Agers stay buried, even if they're technically Bronze-Agers (good old retcon storytelling).

-Lady Lotus is basically a PL 9 version of many Marvel Psionic characters, but has the extra-powerful Mind Control/Remote Sensing Power, but since it's in a Dynamic Array, she has to "share" points and can't use them both to their maximum.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 04, 2022 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken

Re: Lady Lotus

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:02 am Image
Lordy. She looks like a Reed Crandell villainess from a late 1940s issue of Blackhawk. Except, maybe, for the plunging decolletage. Looks like Mr. Hoberg was definitely channeling his inner Milton Caniff.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

aaaaaaaaaaaaaand now I have like five names to look up.