J-Mart Fantasy: Closed for remodeling

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Emerald_Flame300

Re: J-Mart Fantasy: Hippogriff, Griffon, Pegasi, Horses, Hawk, Rabbit, Deer

Post by Emerald_Flame300 »

Spectrum wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:29 am Thanks for reminding me of one of my favorite weird D&D critters

My favorite D&D Nasty is .... THE GAZEBO!!!!
Thorpocalypse

Septidema Adventures - Part 3

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Playtest/Story – The Septadecima Adventures – Part 3: Ishkanah’s Lair

Maneuver Legend: AA – All Out Attack, ACA – Accurate Attack, DA – Defensive Attack, PA – Power Attack, RA – Routine Attack, SA – Standard Attack], TC - Toughness Check, WC – Will Check, FC – Fortitude Check

Main Sheet
Fight Sheet
Mid Page
Last Page

Intro: After a bit of a delay, the adventure concludes...whew!

--

In puff of shadowy mist, Dryzza appeared at the bottom of the pit with the rest of her allies, all of whom had assumed defensive positions. They found themselves in a cavern about 25x25 feet in size, dimly lit by the torch that Rain lit upon landing in the cave. There were webs all over the corners, floor and ceiling. With her Darkvision, she could see openings on the east, west and south sides of the room. The sounds of skittering claws on stone coming from every direction.
Since they dropped down the round before Arisema and Dryzza did, I will give Rain, Extherene, Xelennia and Jobymme a chance to use a Recover in the last round of the previous encounter. That will leave them once chance to use it during this next encounter like everyone else.

After a few seconds, they could hear the voice of the Spider Priestess once more. “I see that I was wrong about you,” she said as her voice seemed to come from all directions at once. “I took you for non-believers, but surely you must love our goddess so much that you came here as sacrifices of your own accord. Your faith will be rewarded with a quick death…”

“Nay!” Jobymme shouted. “It you and your so-called goddess that will meet your deaths today! Show yourself, false prophetess!”

“Oh, I think not,” She said with a sly laugh. “Come find me, my children. Come find me and I will lead you to your salvation…”

“As you wish,” Jobymme replied, smiling. And he began to head towards the opening to the south.

“Wait, Jobe,” Arisema said, “We need to…”

“Ww-w-we need to find m-m-m-my sister, NOW.” Rain said firmly as she followed right behind the dragonborn. The rest of the party followed suit, with Gunyip scurrying as fast as he could to get to Jobymme’s side.

“If we live through this, I’m going to kill them,” Arisema muttered under her breath, and she drew her bow and fell in line with the others.

--

After heading down a short narrow tunnel, Jobymme walked into another cavern about the same size as the previous one. It was also covered in webs as well but he could make out several web cocoons of varying sizes in the corners of the room, some on the floor, some webbed up near the ceiling. Two human sized spiders were preparing to feed on one of the cocoons.
Surprise Round: Much like the previous encounter in the 2nd level, everyone would basically holding for Baruun. Since Xelennia got up there undetected and Ishkanah and Hallistra seem to be communing, I’m going to give Baruun a chance to rush in as sort of a surprise round. He gets an 11 on his Stealth. Ishkanah has a 10 on Perception so I will use hers, which means she would have to roll a 1 for me to give him the surprise round, just because it would be a natural 1.

And…natural 1. Amazing. He gets in and uses his Light of the Lord for 60 ft of Environment (Light). I’m not going to give the rest of the group the surprise round, though. That was advantage enough for the party.

Round 1: Initiative: Zaila – 22, Arisema – 21, Rain – 21, Dryzza – 17, Xelennia – 16, Extherene – 16, Priestess Hallistra – 15, Gunyip – 15, Baruun – 14, Charyllis – 10, Ishkanah – 8, Beaver – 7, Jobymme – 7, Spiders (Monstrous – Standard) (8) – 4. Couple of quick notes. Due to their being cocooned for so long, Zaila and Charyllis will be Impaired on attacks and active defenses. They have no armor. Charyllis is using Xelennia’s daggers, Zaila is using Arisema’s original longsword, Arisema is using the one she got from the Drow. The spiders are minions. I am giving Hallistra an HP back for the complication of the whole situation. Now we’re ready to go.

The room is fully lit. Zaila runs in and can get to one of the spiders, going AA2, and she hits with a 16. The spider fails the DC22 TC and drops. With her Takedown 2, I’ll say she can get to another, and she hits with a natural 19 for a crit, so it drops. Good start for her. Arisema moves in as far as she can, but she can’t get to the Priestess for melee, so she quick draws her bow and fires, SA, and she hits with a 23. She gets a 10 on the DC18 TC for a 2nd degree failure. Rain moves into the room and uses the round to Aim. Dryzza teleports in right next to Ishkanah and she goes PA1 against the giant spider but misses with an 11. Xelennia will have to use Athletics to double her movement speed to be able to attack this round with her Twin Shortswords, and she makes the check with a 16. She goes PA1, and will miss. Extherene moves into the room and fires a Magic Missile at Priestess Hallistra and she hits with a 25. Hallistra rolls a natural 1 on the TC, HP to reroll and gets a 21 to avoid damage. Hallistra is up and she will fire a Web at Extherene, going AA2 and she hits with a 24. Extherene’s Dodge Check is 17 and she makes it with a 23 to avoid the affliction.

Gunyip will attempt to Aid Jobymme, and he does with a 17. Baruun will sustain the Light and move up on the Priestess, going AA3 with his Greatsword, but he misses with a 12. Charyllis goes after a spider close to her, using her Arvoreen’s Fury and hits with a 21. That’s a 2nddegree success so she gets +2 to make the DC18. The spider makes the check with a 19.

Ishkanah will use the round to call on more spiders using her Mother of Spiders Summon. 16 giant spiders of various sizes are coming. Since the spiders are self-powered, it will take them a while to get there, I’ll say 2 rounds for the first wave of 8 then another for the rest 8. I’ll outline the distribution once they get there.

Beaver will use his Inspiring Song to give all his allies +2 to hit/+2 active defenses until his next round. Jobymme will move up on the spider Gunyip made his “attack” on and will go PA2, making him +9 to hit. He does with a 24. The spider bombs the TC to drop. Now the spiders attack. First one goes for Zaila and hits with its bite. She fails the DC17 TC with a 14 but passes the Fort check on the poison with a 22. Another can get to her and it hits as well. But she makes both the TC and the FC to avoid any effects. Another decides to protect its queen and goes after Xelennia but misses. Another goes after Dryzza and hits. Dryzza fails the TC with an 8 for a 2nd degree failure. She gets a natural 1 on her FC, HP to reroll allows her to avoid the effects. Last spider goes after Baruun and hits as well. He gets a 15 on the DC17 TC for a 1st degree failure. He’s immune to poison so no need to roll for that.

Status – Zaila (-1 toughness, 1 hp), Arisema (fine, 10 spells, 1 hp), Rain (fine, 7 abilities, 0 hp), Dryzza (fine, 5 psionics, 0 hp), Xelennia (fine, 2 hp), Extherene (fine, 9 spells, 1 hp), Priestess Hallistra (-1 toughness, dazed, 9 prayers, 0 hp), Gunyip (fine, 0 hp), Baruun (-1 toughness, 6 prayers, 1 hp), Charyllis (fine, 10 prayers, 1 hp), Ishkanah (fine, 1 hp), Beaver (fine, 7 songs, 2 hp), Jobymme (fine, 8 prayers, 2 hp), Spiders (8) (5 fine, 3 incapacitated, dying, 0 hp)

Round 2: Initiative: Zaila, Arisema, Rain, Dryzza, Xelennia, Extherene, Priestess Hallistra, Gunyip, Baruun, Charyllis, Ishkanah, Beaver, Jobymme, Spiders (Monstrous – Standard) (8). Zaila goes after the spiders in front of her, AA2 and +2 from Beaver’s Inspiration gives her +5 total to hit. She could just take 10 and hit automatically, but I feel like rolling so that’s what we’re doing. She hits the first one with a 22 and it fails the DC22 TC so it’s done. She hits the other one with a 17 and it drops. With Takedown 2, she can move over to the one on Xelennia and she hits and kills that one. I’ll say she can hit the one on Dryzza and she hits that one with the 15 she needed and it drops. Man, I had forgotten how awesome Takedown 2 can be. I may have to dial that back moving forward in the fantasy setting. Regardless, I’m giving her an HP for awesomeness but cleaning some house and doing the hard way (kinda) by rolling instead of taking 10.

Arisema is within close range now, so she will quick draw her new longsword and go after the Priestess. The sword is my homage to the +1 Defender Sword from D&D and it has the following stats: Slashing Strength-based Damage 4, Enhanced Dodge 1, Enhanced Parry 1, Accurate, Dangerous, Feature 1 (Magical). The bonus moves her offensively to PL 6.5 and defensive PL 5.5 for now. She will go PA2 and roils a natural 1. She’ll burn her HP to reroll and hits with a 23. TC22 for the Priestess and she gets a 9 for a 3rd degree failure. Arisema will also tell everyone else except Baruun to for the giant spider.

Rain will fire at Ishkanah, PA2 which puts her at +10 to hit with her Aim and Inspiration and she barely hits with the 14 she needed. The arrow bounces harmlessly off Ishkanah’s carapace as she gets a 24 on the DC18 TC. They’re going to have to fight smarter to take down the big girl. Dryzza will try her Mental Blast at PA2 and she hits with a 19. Ishkanah blows the Will check for a 3rd degree failure. She’ll use her HP to reroll and passes it with an adjusted 25. Xellenia will try to backstab Ishkanah again with her Twin Shortswords, PA2 and she hits again with a 17. Ishkanah gets a 23 on her TC to avoid damage again. Extherene will move up a bit and use her Bitter Lash on Ishkanah, PA2, and hits with a 17. But Big Ish makes the FC with a 27. Man, she’s tanking everything! About time for some team attacks.

The Priestess is hurting so she’s going to use the round to Recover. That should remove her Disabled condition. Gunyip will try to Aid Jobymme again but he fails this time. Baruun will sustain the Light again and go full AA5 to try and hit the Priestess and he does with a 25. She rolls a natural 1 so she drops. However, I will automatically have her make the FC to avoid the Dying condition. Charyllis will actually try to take out the last spider and she will take 10 to automatically hit and the spider drops.

Ishkanah has plenty of targets. She’ll start with Dryzza since she kinda hurt her brain. She’s going to try and Web her up and she hits with a 20. But Dryzza makes the DC17 Dodge check with a 24 so the web flies by her. Ishkanah is going to leap up to the ceiling, which is about 20 feet up and she’ll hang there out of close range for now. Beaver’s Inspiration ends. He’ll try to set up a team attack so he will delay. Jobymme will also delay.

Best Perception skill is a tie between Arisema, Rain and Dryzza. I’ll make the check for Dryzza. Natural 20. She hears the summoned spiders coming and relays that to the group.

Status – Zaila (-1 toughness, 2 hp), Arisema (fine, 10 spells, 0 hp), Rain (fine, 7 abilities, 0 hp), Dryzza (fine, 4 psionics, 0 hp), Xelennia (fine, 2 hp), Extherene (fine, 9 spells, 1 hp), Priestess Hallistra (-3 toughness, staggered, incapacitated, 9 prayers, 0 hp), Gunyip (fine, 0 hp), Baruun (-1 toughness, 6 prayers, 1 hp), Charyllis (fine, 10 prayers, 1 hp), Ishkanah (fine, 0 hp), Beaver (fine, 7 songs, 2 hp), Jobymme (fine, 8 prayers, 2 hp), Spiders (8) (8 incapacitated, dying, 0 hp)

Round 3: Initiative: Spiders (Monstrous – Large) (3), (Monstrous – Standard) (5), Zaila, Arisema, Rain, Dryzza, Xelennia, Extherene, Priestess Hallistra, Gunyip, Baruun, Charyllis, Ishkanah, Beaver, Jobymme,. The first wave of Ishkanah’s summoned minions arrives. 3 Large Monstrous Spiders and 5 Standard Monstrous spiders come skittering up the halls and into the room with an Initiative of 23 so they get to attack before everyone else. We’ll go with the Large Spiders first. First one goes after Zaila and misses. The 2nd one goes after Charyllis and misses. The 3rd one goes after Rain and misses. Now the Standard spiders. First one goes after Baruun and hits but he gets a natural 20 on his TC, so he’s fine. Second one goes after Arisema and misses. Third one goes after Extherene and misses. Fourth one goes after Jobymme and hits. He gets a 14 on the DC17 TC for a 1st degree failure, but he makes the DC12 Fort check. Last one goes after Gunyip and hits but he gets a 20 on his TC to avoid damage but he fails the FC by 3 to lose 2 points of strength. Last one goes after Arisema as well and misses.

Zaila goes after the Large Spider that attacked her and missed with a natural 1. She drops the sword. Arisema delays to be part of the team attack on Ishkanah. Rain does the same. Dryzza will try to deal with some of the spiders. She will take 10 with her standard attack with her longsword and her Takedown 2 to try and get as many as she can. She drops two of the Standard Spiders before the 3rd one makes the DC20 TC. Xelennia will try to thin the spider minions, too, pulling out her throwing knives. She can go after all 3 of the Large spiders with her multiattack and still take 10 to hit. And all 3 make their DC16 TCs. Extherene is the last to go for the Team Attack so let’s so how this goes. It’s Beaver, Jobymme, Arisema, Rain and her. Beaver gets a 22 for a 2nd degree success. Jobymme misses. Arisema gets a 19 and Rain gets a 16 with their bows for 2 1st degree successes. Extherene goes PA2 and hits with the 14 she needed. That’s 5 total degrees of success so she gets +5 on top of +2 for PA and 4 rank Magic Missile so Ishkanah has to make a DC26 TC. She only gets a 14 for a 3rd degree failure. That’s a pretty significant shot. I’ll roll to see if she falls and she gets an 18 to remain on the ceiling. But she’s hurting.

Gunyip is going to Recover this round and gain back a rank of Strength. Baruun will go after the spiders, too and he’ll have to go AA1 to take 10 so that’s what he’ll do. First attack is on the Standard Spider that hit him and he hits it and fails the DC23 TC and drops. He can move and get to the 2 on Arisema, he hits and both of them drop. I’ll say he can get to one of the Large Spiders, he hits and it drops. Charyllis won’t take 10 on the Large Spider on her so she can try to do a little more damage. She goes PA2 with the twin daggers and hits with 16. The Large Spider only gets an 8 on his DC18 TC and drops. She can get to the other Standard Spider and does the same. She rolls a natural 20 for a crit and it drops.

Ishkanah has to choose between fight or flight and she decides to flee. She works her way along the ceiling and down the southwest wall to the tunnel leading out that way. Beaver fires his crossbow at her, PA2 and he hits with a 21. Ishkanah gets a 17 on her DC19 TC for a 1stdegree failure. Jobymme will fire a Lightning Bolt at her, PA1 and he hits with a crit! DC26 TC and Ishkanah gets a 19 for a 2nd degree failure. He starts to pursue, but…

Status – Large Spiders (3) (1 fine, 2 incapacitated, dying, 0 hp), Standard Spider (5) (5 incapacitated, 0 hp), Zaila (-1 toughness, 2 hp), Arisema (fine, 10 spells, 0 hp), Rain (fine, 7 abilities, 0 hp), Dryzza (fine, 4 psionics, 0 hp), Xelennia (fine, 2 hp), Extherene (fine, 9 spells, 1 hp), Priestess Hallistra (-3 toughness, staggered, incapacitated, 9 prayers, 0 hp), Gunyip (fine, -2 strength, 0 hp), Baruun (-1 toughness, 6 prayers, 1 hp), Charyllis (fine, 10 prayers, 1 hp), Ishkanah (-3 toughness, staggered, disabled, 0 hp), Beaver (fine, 7 songs, 2 hp), Jobymme (-1 toughness, 8 prayers, 2 hp), Spiders (8) (8 incapacitated, dying, 0 hp)

Round 4: Initiative: Spiders (Monstrous – Giant) (2), Spiders (Monstrous – Large) (3), (Monstrous – Standard) (4), Zaila, Arisema, Rain, Dryzza, Xelennia, Extherene, Priestess Hallistra, Gunyip, Baruun, Charyllis, Ishkanah, Beaver, Jobymme. The rest of the summoned spider minions arrive. This time there are two of the Giant Spiders, two more Large Spiders and four more Standard Spiders. To make this more challenging, they’re going to go at the same Initiative as the first wave so they get first shots at the party. First Giant Spider goes after Zaila and it hits with a 20. DC20 TC and DC15 FC. Natural 1 on the TC so she’ll use an HP to reroll and gets and adjusted 26. And she gets a 20 on the FC to remain fine. Second Giant Spider is going for Arisema and it hits with a 24. She makes the TC with a 20 and the FC with a 22. Large Spider 1 goes after Jobymme and misses. Large Spider 2 goes after Baruun and hits. He fails the TC by 3 for a 1st degree failure and again, no check for the Poison. Large Spider 3 goes after Charyllis and hits. She bombs the TC so she’ll user he HP to reroll and gets a 19 for a 1stdegree failure. She rocks the FC with a 22. Standard Spider 1 goes after Extherene and hits. She gets an 18 on the TC for a 1st degree failure. She only gets an 8 on her FC to lose 2 strength ranks. Standard Spider 2 attacks Rain and misses. Standard Spider 3 attacks Beaver and hits with a 22. And he, amazingly enough, gets 22 on his TC and FC. Standard Spider 4 attacks Dryzza and hits. Yikes! She gets natural 1’s on her TC and FC. I’m ruling she’s down, even though technically it’s only a 3rd degree failure. She gets a 7 on her Fort check to take the Dying condition. Last Standard Spider attacks Jobymme again but misses barely with a 13.

Even though they should be able to, I’m ruling the party cannot take 10 on the minions the rest of the encounter. If it becomes a real issue, I may give our some HP for the complication but for now, I’m not. Zaila doesn’t bother going for the sword, she just goes Unarmed against the Giant Spider. Going AA2, she misses with a 1, she’ll use an HP to reroll and hits with an 18. The spider gets a nat 20 on its TC to avoid damage. Arisema quick draws her longsword again and goes PA1 against the Giant Spider on her and hits. It fails the DC21 TC to drop. Since she has Takedown 2 also, she will go after the Large Spider on Baruun, going PA2 and hits again and it fails the DC22 TC with a 20 so it’s down. She can also get to the Large Spider on Charyllis, she goes PA2, hits and she drops it. Seeing Dryzza fall, she tells Jobymme to heal her, even though he was going to anyway.

Rain goes PA2 with her bow against the Standard Spider on her and she misses. Dryzza has to make a Fort check to keep from dying. Oh no. Natural 1. She’s DEAD. But fortunately, in MnM, that’s not nearly as bad for you as it in D&D. Still not good, though.

Xelennia quick draws her short swords and goes after the remaining Giant Spider on Zaila, to get her Backstab. She goes PA1 and hits with a 19. DC20 TC and it only gets a 12 to drop. Outside of the one kill, the minions aren’t posing the obstacle I thought they would.

Extherene uses her Magic Missiles to try and hit 2 of the remaining Standard Spiders. She misses the first, hits the second but it makes the DC19 TC. Hallistra is still unconscious. Gunyip will man up try to attack one of the Standard Spiders and he hits with a 21. The spider only gets a 6 so it drops! Baruun moves and attacks the Standard Spider on Rain and hits with a 16. It bombs the TC and drops. Charyllis goes after the Standard Spider on Beaver she goes AA1 and hits. The spider fails the DC16 TC and drops. She can get to the Standard Spider that killed Dryzza and she crits it so it’s done.

Ishkanah escapes through a secret passage in the western most cavern. They’ll meet again…

Beaver fires his crossbow at the last Large Spider remaining, PA2, and it’s the one that was on Jobymme. He misses barely with a 13, he’ll use an HP to reroll and hits with an adjusted 24. The spider fails the TC and he’s out. All the spiders have been incapacitated.

Jobymme goes to Heal Dryzza and realizes she’s dead. He will Power Stunt a Resurrection extra on Healing at 6 ranks. He has to make a DC20 Healing check. He fails with 17. He’s fatigued. The RAW says you can only try again with EE so…

Round 4: Baruun will have to try, he does the same thing and he succeeds with a 21! She comes back to life in the Incapacitated, but stable condition.

Rounds 5-7: Once everyone sees that Dryzza will live, Arisema will bind Hallistra and the rest will perform Finishing Attacks on the twitching spiders until they are all dead.
Final Status – Giant Spiders (2) (2 incapacitated, dying, 0 hp), Large Spiders (5) (5 incapacitated, dying, 0 hp), Standard Spider (9) (9 incapacitated, dying, 0 hp), Zaila (-1 toughness, 2 hp), Arisema (fine, 10 spells, 0 hp), Rain (fine, 7 abilities, 0 hp), Dryzza (-1 toughness, incapacitated, dying, -2 strength, 4 psionics, 0 hp), Xelennia (fine, 2 hp), Extherene (fine, -2 strength, 9 spells, 1 hp), Priestess Hallistra (-3 toughness, staggered, incapacitated, 9 prayers, 0 hp), Gunyip (fine, -2 strength, 0 hp), Baruun (-2 toughness, 5 prayers, 1 hp), Charyllis (-1 toughness, 10 prayers, 0 hp), Ishkanah (-3 toughness, staggered, disabled, 0 hp), Beaver (fine, 7 songs, 2 hp), Jobymme (-1 toughness, 7 prayers, 2 hp), Spiders (8) (8 incapacitated, dying, 0 hp)
While the rest of the party dispatched the spiders and secured the Priestess, Rain began searching for her sister in the remaining cocoons. She found her fairly quickly and after she had been supplied with anti-venom and came to her senses, the sisters shared a loving embrace. After giving the rest of the captured party and townsfolk the remaining anti-venom, Zaila and Charyllis helped free the rest of their party, Kolfi, Varduk and Brok Godlight. Baruun and Jobymme gave the groggy Varduk a hard time about losing to “bugs”, illiciting a half-embarrassed, half-menacing growl.

Kolfi thanked his old friend Arisema and after everyone was introduced to Brok, they led the other survivors back to the room with the previously freed group of victims. Soon after everyone was accounted for and healed, the whole lot begin to work their way out of the temple. Kolfi’s party were able to gather their belongings and gathering their things while Kolfi and Arisema got the kobold leaders to agree to leave town alone and they would make sure the people of Ladelere would honor the peace as well. And the party even left with a new member, as Gunyip the kobold pledged his eternal loyalty to Jobymme as thanks for helping him lead his people back to the right path and rid them of the Drow. Beaver could not stop giggling, even when Jobymme threatened to fry him on the spot.

It took considerably longer to get back to town with the weakened adventurers and townsfolk but they made it back in just under three days. The parties reunited the townsfolk with their loved ones and remanded Hallistra to the town constable. In appreciation for freeing the captives and ending the threat of the Spider Cult, both adventuring parties all received free food and lodging at Ladelere’s best inn, the Red Knight Inn, for three nights.

Comments: Outside of Dryzza rolling crappy that one round, that final fight went better for the party than I anticipated. I realized that I forgot to give Ishkanah and Hallistra area effects, which would have made a difference with the numbers. I’ll amp up the challenges in the next playtest for sure. And I know in reality, none of the captured people would have survived, but hey, I like a happy ending.

Now rewards. The main party, Arisema, Baruun, Jobymme, Extherene, Xelennia, Beaver, Dryzza and Rain will all get a total of 10 power points and an HP for the entire adventure, bumping Jobymme, Extherene, Beaver and Xelennia to full PL6. Dryzza can pick offense or defense to raise to PL6 making her an effective PL5.5 and Arisema and Baruun can go PL7 on offense thanks to their new weapons and PL6 on defense. Gunyip will get 6 for the last two big battles, and I will bump him up to PL4, and I’m adding him as Jobymme’s Sidekick so I guess those extra 8 points would allow him to raise his PL on offense or defense, per my current PL advancement system, so I'll have him go to PL7 on defense. That's a big jump for him, but since this is just me GM-ing me, I'll allow it. ;)

Zaila and Charyllis with each get 5 points and an HP for assisting in the final battle and Brok, Kolfi, Drenna and Varduk each get 3 points for being good plot devices. I won't be that generous with the PP or PL raises in the future but I'd like to test out some tougher stuff soon.

No extra cash this time, but there were some things that Extherene will Identify with a Ritual after they get back to town. Arisema got a magic sword (I'll drop the stats in her build, and that will give her an additional 5 pts) and Hallistra had the following equipment: an Amulet of Protection: Protection 1, Feature 1 (Magic); 2 pts and a two Ceremonial Daggers: Piercing Strength-based Damage 3, Dangerous, Double, Features 2 (Silver, Magic); 5 pts. Extherene will get the Amulet (won't effect her PL) and Xelennia will take the daggers (won't effect her PL). I’ll get all the characters updated over the next week or so and then I’ll come up with something else for some of them to do.
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Thorpocalypse

77 - Owlbear

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Time to get back to work on my fantasy setting after way too long of a hiatus. And to get it started, here's a J-Mart Favorite Item that might be THE J-Mart Favorite Item!

If there's ever been a more awesome picture, it has not graced my eyes.

OWLBEAR
PL7

OPL: 7; DPL: 6; HP: 0

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 6, STAMINA 5, AGILITY 1, DEXTERITY 0, FIGHTING 7, INTELLECT -4, AWARENESS 1, PRESENCE -3

SKILLS: Athletics 2 (+8), Deception (-3), Insight (+1), Intimidation 9 (+6/+7), Perception 5 (+6), Persuasion (-3), Stealth (+1/-3)

ADVANTAGES: Fast Grab

POWERS:
Owlbear Size: Growth 4 (+4 Str, +4 Sta, -2 Dodge/Parry, -4 Stealth, +2 Intimidation, Speed +0, +4 Mass, Reach [5 ft]; Extra: Innate, Permanent); 9 pts
Feathered Hide: Protection 3, Immunity 1 (Environmental Cold); 4 pts
Owlbear Senses: Senses 6 (Darkvision, Scent [Acute, Ranged, Extended]); 6 pts
Talons: Slashing Strength-based Damage 1 (Extra: Dangerous, Split); 3 pts
Stunning Screech: Burst Area Reaction Affliction 6 (Resisted/Overcome by Will; 1st: Dazed, 2nd: Stunned, Extra: Burst Area [30 ft radius], Reaction [when Owlbear suffers a 2nd or 3rd degree damage failures], Flaw: Limited to two degrees, Limited to when Owlbear takes when Owlbear suffers a 2nd and 3rd degree damage failures); 18 pts

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +1
Close Attack +7 [Unarmed +6; Talons +7, Critical 19-20]
Ranged Attack +0
Special Attack [Stunning Screech Affliction +6, Burst Area]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +3 [DC13] Parry +5 [DC15]
Toughness +8, Fortitude +7, Will +2

COMPLICATIONS:
Disability: Owlbears cannot speak humanoid languages and cannot use their paws to easily manipulate objects.
Temper: Owlbears are very aggressive and attack anything they think they can kill.

Abilities 10 + Skills 8 (16 ranks) + Advantages 1 + Powers 40 + Defenses 7 = 66 / 66

Comments: One of the most ludicrous creatures ever is regardless a staple of D&D gaming on a level just below that of dragons and Beholders. But for me, they are the greatest fantasy creature EVER, even over my beloved Girallons. They are a staple of adventuring in Gloriant as my Owlbears breed like crazy and their fearlessness makes them a top predator all over the continent.
Thorpocalypse

78 - Bulette

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Candygram...

BULETTE
PL9

OPL: 9; DPL: 9; HP: 0

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 8, STAMINA 9, AGILITY 0, DEXTERITY 0, FIGHTING 8, INTELLECT -4, AWARENESS 1, PRESENCE -2

SKILLS: Athletics 3 (+11), Insight (+1), Intimidation (-2/+1), Perception 7 (+8), Stealth 8 (+8/+2)

ADVANTAGES: Fast Grab, Improved Initiative (1), Takedown (1)

POWERS:
Bulette Size: Growth 6 (+6 Str, +6 Sta, -3 Dodge/Parry, -6 Stealth, +3 Intimidation, Speed +0, +6 Mass, Reach [5 ft]; Extra: Innate, Permanent); 13 pts
Underground Sense: Feature 1 (You can automatically sense when you are underground, as well as the approximate depth); 1 pt
Bulette Senses: Senses 10 (Darkvision, Scent [Acute, Ranged, Extended, Tracking], Tremorsense [Touch; Acute, Ranged, Extended 2]); 10 pts
Carapace: Impervious Protection 3, Impervious Toughness 5; 11 pts
Burrowing: Burrowing 5 (2 mph/30 fpr), Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation [Underground]); 7 pts
Bite: Piercing Strength-based Damage 2; 2 pts
Quick Jump: Leaping 1 (15 ft); 1 pt
Ground Eruption: Environment 1 (30 ft radius; Impede Movement [reduce movement by 1 rank, -2 Acrobatics/Athletics], Extra: Continuous, Permanent, Flaw: Limited to area Bulette emerges from or burrows into); 2 pts

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +4
Close Attack +8 [Unarmed +8; Bite +10]
Ranged Attack +0

DEFENSES:
Dodge +3 [DC13] Parry +6 [DC16]
Toughness +12, Fortitude +10, Will +4

COMPLICATIONS:
Disability: Bulettes cannot speak nor use their paws to easily manipulate objects.
Motivation: They are almost always hungry and will attack anything they think they can eat at pretty much anytime.

Abilities 16 + Skills 9 (18 ranks) + Advantages 3 + Powers 41 + Defenses 11 = 80 / 80

Build Comments: I love the Bulette, everyone’s favorite land shark, almost as much as the Owlbear.

Well, it’s not really that close, but I love it.
Davies

Re: 78 - Bulette

Post by Davies »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:30 amDisability: Bulettes cannot speak nor use their paws to easily manipulate objects.
But then how did that one posing as a candygram delivery person kill all those people?
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Thorpocalypse

Re: 1 - Arisema Daellion

Post by Thorpocalypse »

In addition to adding more stuff to the thread, I'm also updating my PCs to a similar format to what I'm doing with my builds at the main J-Mart. Between the two threads, I've got about 80 to update at the main location and about 70 here so I'm hoping to have them all done in a couple of months, but that's probably being pretty optimistic.
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:43 am Image
I know you worry father, but this is what I was born to do, just like you were. And like you, I will forge my own legacy. - Arisema Daellion

ARISEMA NAVARA
PL7

OPL: 7; DPL: 6; HP: 1
Archetype: Warlord
Height: 5-6
Weight: 128
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Black
Skin: Olive
Race: Human
Alignment: Hero - Neutral Good
Base of Operations: Mobile
Affiliations: The Septidecima

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 1, STAMINA 2, AGILITY 3, DEXTERITY 3, FIGHTING 5, INTELLECT 2, AWARENESS 3, PRESENCE 4

SKILLS: Athletics 4 (+5), Deception (+4/+6) [Attractive], Expertise [Tactics] 9 (+11), Insight 7 (+10) [Assessment], Intimidation (+4), Perception 7 (+10), Persuasion 4 (+8/+10) [Attractive], Ranged Combat [Bow] 6 (+9), Stealth 3 (+6)

ADVANTAGES: Assessment, Attractive (1), Benefit (Wealth Ranks) (11) (260 gp), Close Attack (2), Combat Leader*, Equipment (4), Improved Aim, Improved Initiative (1), Inspire (4), Languages (2) (Elven, Goblin, Draconic, Orcish, 1 other, Base: Common), Leadership, Luck (Improve Roll) (2), Move-by Action, Quick Draw, Takedown (2), Teamwork

POWERS:
Hieromancy: 5 pt Array, Quirk: Mana Limits (11 uses of Hieromancy per day, DC15 Will check to cast more); 8 pts
Rally the Troops: Luck Control 2 (You can bestow your hero point or use of Luck on others; You can spend a hero point or use Luck to force someone else to re-roll a die roll and take the worse of the two rolls), Enhanced Advantages 2 (Luck [Improve Roll] 2); 5 pts
Paralyzing Strike: Cumulative Affliction 5 (Resisted by Fortitude; 1st: Hindered, 2nd: Immobilized, 3rd: Paralyzed, Flaw: Easily Removable [Requires attuned weapon; longsword]); 1 pt
Stunning Shot: Ranged Cumulative Affliction 4 (Resisted by Fortitude; 1st: Hindered, 2nd: Stunned, Flaw: Easily Removable [Requires attuned weapon; longbow], Limited to two degrees); 1 pt
Commander's Strike: Cumulative Affliction 5 (Resisted by Will; 1st: Vulnerable, 2nd: Defenseless, Flaw: Limited to two degrees); 1 pt
Castling: Teleport 2 (120 ft; Extra: Accurate (wherever ally is), Easy, Flaw: Limited to Switching Places With Ally, Medium (Ally); 1 pt

Magic Items:
Magic Sword: 9 pts Traits, Easily Removable (-4 pts); 5 pts
Defender Sword: Slashing Strength-based Damage 4 (Extra: Accurate, Dangerous), Enhanced Dodge 1 (Flaw: Sustained), Enhanced Parry 1 (Flaw: Sustained), Feature 1 (Magical); 9 pts

EQUIPMENT:
(20 pts)
Chain Mail: Protection 3; 3 pts
Adventurer's Kit: Backpack, Bedroll, Flint and Steel, Belt Pouch (empty), Sack (empty), Trail Rations, Torches (5), Waterskin; 5 pts
Longsword: Slashing Strength-Based Damage 3, Dangerous; 4 pts
Skinsplitter Bow: Ranged Piercing Damage 3, Dangerous; 7 pts

Acquired Items: (0 pts)

OFFENSE:
Initiative +7
Close Attack +7 [Unarmed +1; Longsword +4, Critical 19-20; Paralyzing Strike Affliction +5; Commander’s Strike Affliction +5]
Defender Sword +9 [Defender Sword +5, Critical 19-20]
Ranged Attack +3
Bow +9 [Skinsplitter Bow +3, Critical 19-20; Stunning Shot Affliction +4]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +6 (+7 with Defender Sword) [DC16/17] Parry +6 (+7 with Defender Sword) [DC16/17]
Toughness +5, Fortitude +5, Will +7

COMPLICATIONS:
Honor: Arisema is a woman of her word, like the other members of her family.
Legacy: With her father being the High King of Gloriant, her mother being the "perfect" Queen, and her older brothers being great warriors, she feels she has a lot to live up to.
Mommy Issues: Her mother never approved her wanting to be an adventurer and this has caused a rift between them.
Motivation: Becoming a great hero on her own and protecting the people of her land.
Plot Device: Being the youngest child of the Daellion Monarchy comes with its advantages. She is determined to make her own legacy, but when things get dire, she can always call on the most powerful man in the kingdom or his allies.
Relationships: She is close to her family, her friend since childhood, Beaver the Bard, as well as Jobymme and Baruun.
Secret: She does not want anyone to know who her father is, for fear of not just retribution from his enemies, but mainly to avoid any preferential treatment as she wants to forge her own legacy.

Abilities 46 + Skills 20 (40 ranks) + Advantages 23 + Powers 13 + Defenses 11 = 113 / 113
Jabroniville

Re: J-Mart Fantasy: Owlbears, Bulette

Post by Jabroniville »

Hooray! More Thorp stuff! On two threads, too!

Bulettes are a great D&D monster, too- huge, distinctive and powerful. I think they're one of that of that first set- created off a handful of random plastic toys and given stats.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Owlbears or "so bad it's legendary". I'm not even sure why it has become such an iconic monster. For me, it's because it seem so incredibly random. Most classic D&D monsters are either straight out of legends or a not so veiled references to other fictional universes. The owlbear is neither and the idea of putting a owl head on a bear is just so unexpected that, I think, every little GM ever thought: "I so need to use this at some point."
As a result the owlbear has become the most explict version of the "Stay out of my lawn, yoyu punks." sign in every D&D world.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

Woodclaw wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:46 pm Owlbears or "so bad it's legendary". I'm not even sure why it has become such an iconic monster. For me, it's because it seem so incredibly random. Most classic D&D monsters are either straight out of legends or a not so veiled references to other fictional universes. The owlbear is neither and the idea of putting a owl head on a bear is just so unexpected that, I think, every little GM ever thought: "I so need to use this at some point."
As a result the owlbear has become the most explict version of the "Stay out of my lawn, yoyu punks." sign in every D&D world.
Funny story about owlbears and my group. After having an owlbear ambush our group, we realized that we had no idea what kind of sound an owlbear would make. After a good 10-15 minutes of arguing over roars, hoots, roar-hooting, hoot-roaring, etc. the DM (in an attempt to get us back to the task at hand) put his foot down and said whatever was the first youtube result for animal noises would be the owlbears call. He searched for it and the top result was... the Oh Long Johnson video. Much to our DM's chagrin, that has been the owlbear's battle-cry for our group ever since.
Formerly luketheduke86
Ken

Post by Ken »

And this thread is number one with a Bulette.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Thorpocalypse

79 - Girallon

Post by Thorpocalypse »

More new items for our Fantasy setting.

3rd greatest RPG creature of all time. Scientific fact.

GIRALLON
PL8

OPL: 8; DPL: 8; HP: 0

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 7, STAMINA 7, AGILITY 5, DEXTERITY 1, FIGHTING 7, INTELLECT -4, AWARENESS 1, PRESENCE -2

SKILLS: Acrobatics 2 (+7), Athletics (+7/+15), Expertise [Survival] 9 (+5), Insight (+1), Intimidation 8 (+6/+8), Perception 5 (+6), Stealth (+5/+1)

ADVANTAGES: Chokehold, Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Hold

POWERS:
Large Beast: Growth 4 (+4 Str, +4 Sta, -2 Dodge/Parry, -4 Stealth, +2 Intimidation, Speed +0, +4 Mass, Reach [5 ft]; Extra: Innate, Permanent); 9 pts
Girallon Senses: Senses 3 (Low-light Vision, Scent [Acute]); 3 pts
Girallon Physique: Protection 2, Extra Limbs 2 (2 Arms); 4 pts
Expert Climber: Enhanced Skills 4 (Athletics 8 ranks, Flaw: Limited to climb checks); 2 pts
Rend: Bludgeoning Strength-based Damage 2 (Flaw: Grab-based); 1 pt
Claw Flurry: Multiattack Slashing Strength-based Damage 2; 11 pts

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +5
Close Attack +7 [Unarmed +7; Rend +9; Claw Flurry +9, Multiattack]
Ranged Attack +1

DEFENSES:
Dodge +6 [DC16] Parry +7 [DC17]
Toughness +9, Fortitude +9, Will +6

COMPLICATIONS:
Disability: Girallons cannot speak to humans
Naturally Poor Swimmers: Because of their density, girallons cannot swim very well. They suffer a -5 penalty to all Swimming checks, and must spend Extra Effort to keep their heads above water.

Abilities 28 + Skills 12 (24 ranks) + Advantages 4 + Powers 30 + Defenses 12 = 86 / 86

Comments: I’ve always loved Girallons, maybe even as much as Owlbears. Why four-armed white gorillas fascinate me so much, I’ll never know, but they do.
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Oh yeah, Girallons are SUCH "Classic D&D". Bizarre, but only shifted slightly from real-world things. No insane magic powers or any of that nonsense.

I do like white-furred gorillas, too. I think it's because I heard of the Son of Kong sequel (which is REALLY weak, and very short- having seen it a year or two ago) when I was a kid reading about King Kong at the school library.
Gamebook

Re: J-Mart Fantasy: Owlbears, Bulette, Girallon

Post by Gamebook »

Girallons are really just the 'White Apes' from the Edgar Rice Burroughs Mars novels. If you want to see them on a really bloody rampage check out the Dynamite comic 'Dejah Thoris and the White Apes of Mars' mini-series.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Gamebook wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:12 am Girallons are really just the 'White Apes' from the Edgar Rice Burroughs Mars novels. If you want to see them on a really bloody rampage check out the Dynamite comic 'Dejah Thoris and the White Apes of Mars' mini-series.
I only found out about that very recently (I really need to finish those John Carter novels), but one of the interesting bits is that, according to the original source material, every now and then, a 'Black furred ape' is born, which is way more ferocious than its kin.
Last edited by Woodclaw on Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
scc

Post by scc »

That Owlbear pic is amazing!! Though I never saw that movie I got a pretty good idea how crazy it was when I saw the trailer.