Plan A: Five Years Later

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
T0DOSKER

Plan A: Five Years Later

Post by T0DOSKER »

Plan A
Condition: Normal
HP: 1 - LP: 0

Adam, sitting at table for two at a New York City cafe, sipped his coffee as he flipped through the file in front of him, an amused smirk on his face. He was looking at a photo of himself, in all his emerald glory, wearing a hat and sunglasses pulling a massive slab of concrete out of a storefront window. It was dated five years ago today, the day of the attack on New York. There were no other photographs in the file, just various reports of a green giant performing feats of great strength in the service of others before disappearing as quickly as he had appeared. There were some notes written here and there in the scribbled hand of a LEO. 'Another alien? Isolated inhuman? Banner connection??' He closed the file, looking at the angry red letters on the manila surface: CASE FILE: VERDANT.

"Ohhh, nice sunglasses, Jolly Green," a man said as he slipped into the chair across from Adam. He was a little overweight,wearing a uniform shirt with a stained apron over the front of it. His salt and pepper hair only grew on the sides of his head, and glasses hung from a chain around his neck. "With them and the hat I hardly knew it was you."

"Hey, that's a solid incognito outfit. I hardly recognize myself, really." Adam replied, squinting his eyes as he defended himself. Of course, he was kidding. Standing over 7 feet tall and pushing 800 pounds might make him stand out enough, but his green skin and hair also made it hard for him to do much of anything discretely. "I wasn't on the books then like I am now, I was trying to keep a low profile. My SHIELD file here, however, suggests I didn't do a great job."

"The only thing 'low profile' about you is your taste in coffee, kid," the man replied, tapping Adam's coffee cup with the back of his finger. "Seriously, Dunkin' Donuts? You insult me."

"The world runs on Dunkin', Ernie," Adam replied, taking a big drink and giving an embellished sigh of contentment. "Besides, you know I come here for the Reuben."

"And the Cuban. And the beef. And the meatballs," Ernie said, shaking his head. "I swear, kid, the only reason I don't run you outta here for scaring away all my customers is because you buy more food than any one of 'em."

Adam looked around the cafe, and Ernie wasn't wrong. Most times you go into a cafe, the people are more concerned with their food and friends and phones than the person at the table next to them. Adam, however, draws a lot of eyes. It's not every day someone sees a hulk-like supermodel towering over them in a suit. Some of the people in the cafe were polite enough to pretend they weren't watching, but their body language made it clear to Adam that they were 100% aware of exactly where he was.

Police officers experience something similar. They call it being "cop aware." Completely innocent people still get nervous around them, but they don't want to look suspicious, so they hyper-focus on whatever they're doing. Like the executive-looking woman in the corner staring very intently at the screen of her laptop despite the fact that she isn't typing anything. Or the college kid chewing his sandwich with incredible dedication while the guy across from him hasn't moved his neck since Adam sat down. Meanwhile, an old woman stares at Adam across the cafe. He meets her gaze and gives her a wink. She opens her mouth in outrage and adjusts her shawl, turning her eyes away as a smile spreads across her face.

"And that is exactly why I don't send my waitresses over here," Ernie said, chuckling at the exchange. The chuckle trails off as Ernie looks out the window of the cafe, people and cars streaming steadily by. "So...five years, huh?"

They grew quiet for a moment. The attack is a soft spot for New Yorkers: everything they knew changed on that day. Adam had just recently gotten his powers, and fled NYC to the Appalachian mountains upstate. There were some incredibly poor communities out there, and after the initial shock wore off they were happy to put Adam to work. In return, he got food and shelter while he tried to figure out just what had happened to him. He was there when the attack happened. He wasn't from the city originally; he was a Midwest boy. To him, though, NYC represented freedom. It was where he was really on his own for the first time, the first place he felt like he could be his own person. It had changed him, in more ways than one, and he refused to leave his city during it's time of need. As soon as he heard, Adam was there pulling people out of the wreckage and helping with the clean-up. He hit the road soon after but NYC would always be important to him, no matter how far he went.

"A lot's changed since then," Adam said, taking another drink from his coffee. "When I first got like this, I thought I was completely alone. Then the invasion happens, and people with powers start popping up left and right. It's crazy."

"I'll say," Ernie intoned. He glanced from Adam to the table. He was going to say something uncomfortable. "Look kid, you know I like you. You helped me out back then, and I'll always be grateful for everything you've done. But--I gotta tell ya--the rest of you enhanced types make me nervous."

"Yeah, I get that," Adam responded, nodding with a sheepish expression. "That's kinda my thing, though, Ernie. I'm very clearly different from most folks, but people like me. I help people, I build trust, I make friends. So, you know, if your friend Adam is enhanced and he's a good guy and you hear something about 'all enhanced people' being dangerous or evil or whatever, you think 'now that's not true, my buddy Adam pulled a fuckin' sidewalk out of the front of my cafe.'"

"Alright alright, jeez, I didn't ask for sales pitch, kid," Ernie said, throwing up his hands and scooting the chair back with his legs before pushing himself to his feet. "I'm gettin' used to the idea, alright? I'm old, it takes a minute. Plus, I'm naturally nervous, I'm an entrepreneur. Your sandwiches should be out by the time you get off your soapbox."

"Thanks Ernie," Adam said, smiling as his friend walked back behind the counter.

"Here's the Ruben, the Cuban, the meatball sub, the italian beef, aaaaand...the salad," a female voice said behind him. "Was that it?"

"Yeah, that's--" Adam started, looking at the waitress with a grin. She was cute, short with a pixie cut and a slim build. She also had tan-colored scales and black eyes, with what might have been feathers intermingled in her hair. "That's it. Thank you."

Smiling, she nodded and walked back into the kitchen. Adam looked behind him towards the counter where Ernie was leaning against the it, looking back at Adam with a bemused look. Ernie gave him a wink before stepping through the swinging door into the back. Shaking his head, Adam tucked into his salad.
StarGuard

Re: Plan A: Five Years Later

Post by StarGuard »

Eventually the crowd of people outside of Ernie Katz deli starts to hinder other patrons from entering the neighborhood landmark.
Ernie doesn't say a word, knowing the debt he owes you. Understanding the man's conflicting emotions you finish your meal without seeming to hurry but none the less leaving much sooner than you had intended. The crowd clamors for your attention. Only a few of the crowd of forty fans seem to harbor any ill will toward your emerald visage. As hard as you try, some are going to always think of you as a mirror of the Hulk.

You are SHIELD's greatest public face since the Patriot, SHIELD's last Director. Although some are suspicious of the public's easy trust of you, others whisper how you are the future of SHIELD. Regardless of General Talbot's dislike of you. As you take the time to sign for the adoring fans, across the street above one of the city's oldest art houses, you see a shimmer against the few clouds. You're unaware of any ops in the city today and there is something that doesn't seem right ... a Quinjet weighs too much to land on the roof of a building that old, and wouldn't kick up that much dust if it did.
T0DOSKER

Post by T0DOSKER »

Plan A

Jeez, I never thought being a SHIELD agent would make me a celebrity...

Adam snapped another selfie, this time with his face scrunched up as he peered into the camera as if he'd never seen anything like it before. Most of the people gathered were content to take a photo, but a few wanted to take pictures with him. As much as this kind of thing seemed unbecoming for a SHIELD agent, Adam couldn't resist. He was a people pleaser, he just didn't know he had grown so popular beyond "big green guy."

"Alright, alright, last one people. I actually have a job, you know," he intoned, loud enough for everyone gathered to hear. Some of the latecomers groaned and snapped a photo before being on their way. Adam took the person's phone and held it straight up in the air for a 7 foot selfie when he caught a glimpse of something strange across the way. He snapped the picture and handed it back to the person he was pretty sure the phone belonged to. "Sorry folks, have a good one!"

He hurriedly made his way across the street, walking towards the building he had seen that strange glimmer on. Adam whipped out his phone and dialed headquarters, placing the phone to his head as he kept his eyes on that strange glimmer. He wasn't about to bust out into a full sprint in the middle of the city like this, especially not today. Instead, he'd call in to SHIELD and inform them of what was going on before he got into the thick of things.
OOC wrote:If I can't reach SHIELD, that's cool, it just seemed like procedure to call it in. You mentioned the building was old, so I probably don't wanna jump to the top or smash my way up the side. Can I just walk in the front door and flash the badge to get to the roof?
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

Traffic is at a dead stop as you cross the street. Commuters are cursing as they honk their horns and bang their fist on their steering wheels in frustration. Down the street, electronic advertising signs flicker going dead. The street lights aren't working and two cars have smacked into each other at the intersection, both drivers are out of their cars shouting at each other.

Stepping up on the sidewalk in front of an alley at he side of the art house you notice three things. During the Incident, many of the city's cultural buildings that had been damaged. As a gesture of goodwill, and a tax right off, Stark Industries had installed armored shutters in many of them at cost. The art house was one of these buildings. You notice the shutters already in place. The doors and windows are armored strong enough that getting inside would take a minute, even for you.

From the corner of the street and the alley you see an old fire escape ladder leading all way to the top of the building ... where you see the silhouette figures on the roof.
T0DOSKER

Post by T0DOSKER »

Plan A

After several attempts jabbing his fingers at his reinforced smart phone, Adam frowned and put it back in his pocket. Whatever this is, it knocked out technology in the immediate vicinity. Convenient side-effect, or intentional surveillance avoidance? Guess I'll have to find out.

Adam strode over to the fire escape, easily jumping up and grabbing the ladder. The ladder pulled down--and entirely off as Plan A's entire weight hit it. Adam staggered backwards for a moment, righting himself and groaning. This time he jumped directly onto the fire escape from the ground, the ancient metal groaning in turn under his weight. It held, however, and Adam carefully hurried towards the roof.

Deciding amidst the groaning of metal that stealth wasn't really an option, Adam reached the zenith of the fire escape and stepped onto the roof.
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

The fire escape continues to creak and groan as you climb the side of the building. Now and then a rail side snaps loose falling into the alley below causing cats to squall and race from the trash below. Mangeled iron bars and broken stairs trail in your path. Lifting yourself halfway onto the roof, concrete cornice to either side of you, you see two fiures disappear into through an armored door warped by an explosive blast.

... and a third with a heavy looking weapon pointed your direction ...

OOC: Roll Initiative (-5) please. Plan A is awarded 1 LP.
T0DOSKER

Post by T0DOSKER »

Plan A
HP: 1 - LP: 1

Jeez, good thing I didn't jump up here, Adam thought as he examined the remains of the fire escape from the top of the roof. It probably won't take too much of my salary to fix this, right?

A click and a strange whirring behind him caused Adam to turn slowly, only to come face to face with a strange, armored being pointing a heavy weapon in his direction. He instantly raised his hands. "Whoa, whoa, don't shoot," he said, keeping his tone measured and gesturing slightly with his hands. He stooped a bit as well, subtly demonstrating his surrender. "We can talk about this, okay?"

Behind the closest one, Adam noticed two more figures duck into what used to be an armored door before something reduced it into slag. Guess that's what the gun does. Not sure I want to find out what one of those does to me. I'll play it cool, let this...guy...make the first move.
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

One of the sonic blast splash to your right, crumbling the old parapet looking stone works. You hear the voices but it sounds nothing like you have ever heard before, but you can tell from their body language they're scared and in a hurry. Your sudden appearance has caused enough confusion the one swings his blaster from the rooftop to your direction . . . just as you feel the third strike you square in the chest.

Toughness roll vs DC 20
I would normally ask for a perception roll for your ability to read body language but I want to speed you up a bit - my fault
T0DOSKER

Post by T0DOSKER »

Plan A
HP: 1 - LP: 1
Okay, they're in a hurry and afraid...but are they afraid of me or something else? Adam thought, his brow furrowed in thought as one of their weapons blasted him in the chest. He instinctively brought a hand down to the point of impact, leaving the other in the air, only to feel bare skin where his shirt and tie used to be. God, for once I kinda hope it's me.

"You don't have to be afraid," Adam said, looking up at the being that fired at him and bringing his other hand down outstretched, palm facing up. "Whatever you're running from, I can help you."

Although the words might be alien to them, the gesture was a clear indication of help in any language -- or at least Adam hoped that was the case. He had also slightly stooped to make himself less intimidating, in case he was the source of the fear. That said, being able to shrug off one of their blasts probably wasn't exactly comforting. Still, if this situation could be resolved without violence Adam was the best man for the job.
Persuasion: 1D20+18 = [13]+18 = 31
unless they're into green dudes, in which case it'd be 36.
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

The chittering voices are filled with even greater fear as they see their weapons in effectiveness. It is like they have been warned begore hand they might run into you. Across the roof the camouflaged ripples and and a small craft landing bay door opens.

Almost as tall as you the armored behemoth thunders down the ramp, two of his smaller brethren fire, both missing as you find your footing on the roof, the last hurriedly trying to get through the Stark armored door.
Badoon's aim lousy as a Stormtrooper.
Plan A awarded HP, has been mistaken as the Hulk by the Badoon, thus activating Plan B ;)
T0DOSKER

Post by T0DOSKER »

Plan A
HP: 2 (-1) - LP: 1

Oh good, Adam thought with a grin. They ARE afraid of me. Or they've mistaken me for someone else... Adam watches as the armored behemoth thunders down the ramp in his direction. "Oh, for me?" he asked, pointing at himself. "You shouldn't have!"

Seeing the behemoth charge across the building without it giving way underneath them, Adam suddenly felt liberated. Turning away from the bigger creature, Plan A bounds towards the one trying to get into the door. Looming over him, Adam heavily places a massive hand on the creature's shoulder and squeezes slightly. He bends his head down next to where the creature's ear should be and shouts, "HULK SMASH!"
Intimidation: 1D20+11 = [2]+11 = 13 to demorbalize 'em...I'm gonna go ahead and hero point that ish. Intimidation: 1D20+11 = [14]+11 = 25 now that's more like it!