Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Hugo! Abigail! Ed! Kolin! Menat! MC2-Verse!)

Post by Jabroniville »

It doesn't count as thread hijacking when it's on-topic to the current thing, really :). You've been away for a couple of years, but "going off-topic" is one of the funnier parts of this thread!

Regarding the Shield, it's "Comic Book Super-Material" properties kind of make it impossible to truly judge on a regular level. Also, there's the fact that all of the replacement Caps (Patriot & Spirit of '76) and the Red Guardians can do pretty much the same kind of stuff, I think it's clear that metal discs are just amazingly-mobile in a comic book universe.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Mainframe

Post by Jabroniville »

MAINFRAME
Created By:
Tom DeFalco & Brent Anderson
First Appearance: A-Next #1 (Oct. 1998)
PL 10 (240)
STRENGTH
12 STAMINA -- AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 8 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Aerobatics 6 (+8)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+8)
Deception 6 (+8)
Expertise (Science) 5 (+13)
Expertise (Science) 4 (+17) -- Flaws: Limited to Mechanical Sciences
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Investigation 4 (+7)
Perception 5 (+8)
Persuasion 4 (+6)
Stealth 2 (+4)
Technology 8 (+16)
Vehicles 3 (+8)

Advantages:
Beginner's Luck, Improvised Tools, Interpose, Inventor, Jack-of-All-Trades, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5, Set-Up, Skill Mastery 2 (Science, Technology), Teamwork, Well-Informed

Powers:
"Living Armor"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 9 (Extras: Impervious 9) [18]
"Boot Rockets" Flight 9 (1,000 mph) [18]
"Armor Sensors" Senses 11 (Extended & Infravision, Extended Hearing, Radar 4, Detect Energy- Ranged, Acute & Accurate) [11]

"Repulsor Rays" Blast 12 (Feats: Split, Improved Critical, Variable Energy Descriptor, Penetrating 4) (31) -- [34]
  • AE: "Magnetic Beam" Move Object 8 (Flaws: Limited to Ferrous Materials) (8)
  • AE: "Machine Guns" Blast 6 (Extras: Multiattack) (18)
  • AE: "Repulsor Stun" Affliction 10 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Feats: Split) (Extras: Ranged, Cumulative) (31)
"The Lazarus Program" Immortality 12 (Flaws: Source- Extra Bodies in Satellite) [12]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Repulsor Rays +8 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 27)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +12 (+5 Impervious), Fortitude --, Will +6

Complications:
Secret (Robot)
Reputation (Kind of a Dick)- Mainframe is definitely not as charismatic as Tony Stark was.
Responsibility (Jobber Aura)- Like all Summoning/Replacement-based heroes, the more times he resurrects, the magically crappier he becomes at fighting, and his durability goes way downhill.

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 52--26 / Advantages: 17 / Powers: 123 / Defenses: 10 (240)

-Mainframe is the legacy of Tony Stark, though we don't discover his true nature for several issues. He looks like Iron Man, acts a bit haughty and "above" everyone like a big, bossy know-it-all, and is kind of overly-secretive, leading to a lot of assumptions and guesses, like if he was Doctor Doom in disguise or something. Ultimately, we discover that he is an android programmed with Tony Stark's mind- he and an army like him are meant to carry on Tony's wishes now that Stark has retired.

-Despite being a, well, FUTURE IRON MAN, Mainframe is noticeably worse at fighting, to the point where he's taken apart like construction-paper every time the villain gets nasty. He's also not QUITE as smart as you'd think a guy whose mind is a copy of Tony Stark's would be.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

J2

Post by Jabroniville »

J2 (Zane Yama-Marko)
Created By:
Tom DeFalco & Ron Frenze
First Appearance: What If #105 (1998)
Role: '90s-Style Legacy Character
PL 10 (126)
STRENGTH
13 STAMINA 13 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 4 (+4)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 4 (+4, +5 Size)
Perception 2 (+1)

Advantages: 
All-Out Attack, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Inherited The Powers of the Juggernaut"
"Natural Size" Growth 2 (Str & Sta +2, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth) -- (10 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [5]
Impervious Toughness 9 [9]

"Nothing Stops the Juggernaut!"
Enhanced Strength 5 (Flaws: Limited to Maintaining Forward Movement) [5]
Speed 1 (4 mph) [1]
Immunity 11 (Life Support, Aging) [11]

"J2's Helmet" (Flaws: Removable) [16]
Immunity 20 (Mental Effects) (20)

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +13, Fortitude +13, Will +4

Complications:
Normal Identity (Zane Yama-Marko)- Zane is ST -1 & ST 0, being a young boy.
Responsibility (Immature)- Zane is impulsive, short-sighted and barely knows how to interact in a world of adults.

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 47 / Defenses: 12 (126)

-Among the signature characters of the MC2-verse was J2, the second Juggernaut. It was a pretty solid idea- take one of the most popular villains of Marvel, one fans were always clamoring to see more of, and give him a legacy version in the future! They did a "Billy Batson" thing with him, having a juvenile gain the uber-powers of the Juggernaut, but the '90s'd him up with the flannel jacked around the waist. Zane Yama-Marko is the son of the Juggernaut (who was now missing) and a Japanese-American woman, and not only appeared in A-Next, but got his own series, which also lasted twelve issues.

-During the course of his book, Zane finally discovers his father, trapped in another dimension by a guy called Nemesis- he reunites his parents, but then the book goes away. Oddly, to me, he's probably the most iconic MC2 character, despite Mayday being more important- maybe because his costume stands out so much? Very "90s Teenager" and all that. His schtick was that he was REALLY young- both being immature and kind of cowardly, unwilling to put himself in danger even though he was nearly invulnerable- a pretty good, realistic character trait- I mean, if you spent your whole life normal, then you're not gonna magically turn brave once you gain powers- your body is still all "OH NO DANGER- RUN AWAY!!!"
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken

Re: J2

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:46 pm They did a "Billy Batson" thing with him, having a juvenile gain the uber-powers of the Juggernaut,

His schtick was that he was REALLY young- both being immature and kind of cowardly, unwilling to put himself in danger even though he was nearly invulnerable- a pretty good, realistic character trait- I mean, if you spent your whole life normal, then you're not gonna magically turn brave once you gain powers- your body is still all "OH NO DANGER- RUN AWAY!!!"
Unless one of the abilities one gains is the Courage of Achilles. But that's Billy and the Captain.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Scots Dragon

Post by Scots Dragon »

Ken wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:37 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:46 pm They did a "Billy Batson" thing with him, having a juvenile gain the uber-powers of the Juggernaut,

His schtick was that he was REALLY young- both being immature and kind of cowardly, unwilling to put himself in danger even though he was nearly invulnerable- a pretty good, realistic character trait- I mean, if you spent your whole life normal, then you're not gonna magically turn brave once you gain powers- your body is still all "OH NO DANGER- RUN AWAY!!!"
Unless one of the abilities one gains is the Courage of Achilles. But that's Billy and the Captain.
I think the courage of Mehen can fill in if Achilles is unavailable.
Formerly known as Narsil on the ATT and Ronin Army forums.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab's Builds! (Hugo! Abigail! Ed! Kolin! Menat! MC2-Verse!)

Post by Ares »

M4C8 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:40 pm That's why I said it was petty, while I know she technically could use the shield, in my mind it would take someone with enhanced strength at least equal to Cap's to use it as effectively as he does, especially when used as a throwing weapon.
Marvel actually sort of addressed this a couple of times, showing that while arm strength is needed, the real component is skill.

In the Capt. America story that introduced the second Baron Zemo, the Baron got his hands on Capt. America's shield and threw it at him. Cap warned Zemo that the Baron didn't know how to use Cap's shield properly, and sure enough, the shield rebounded back and smacked Zemo right in the center mass, knocking him into a vat of boiling Adhesive X, which horribly scarred his face.

In another story following Civil War, where Clint Barton turned up alive, he was contacted by SHIELD and told how Capt. America had died, and that they wanted Clint to replace him. They gave Clint Cap's shield, telling him that over a dozen highly trained agents that had the physical and mental abilities to be a decent replacement Cap had tried to use it, and all of them had injured themselves trying to throw the damn shield. Clint then casually makes the shield bounce and dance the way Cap use to, catching it easily on the rebound. Clint does note that it felt weird using Steve's shield, feeling like he was "dancing with another guy's girl".

So apparently that weird Vibranium / Pseudo-Adamantium hybrid super-metal is easy enough to throw around, its unique properties mean you have to be damned skilled to make it work.

I would say that you need really high strength, incredible skill, or both to make it inflict the kind of DAMAGE that Steve regularly does with it, tho. The metal itself probably makes for an excellent blunt weapon, but it won't be slicing through robots unless someone like Steve, Bucky or Hawkeye is throwing it.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Ken wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:37 pm

Billy Batson has the Courage of Billy Batson. Achilles was mostly there to protect him from people using Fear powers (like a demon Satan sicked on him tried) and to give him a boost to his fighting skills. Billy as a normal human was generally so ballsy Achilles probably took pointers from him.
Scots Dragon wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:11 am I think the courage of Mehen can fill in if Achilles is unavailable.
I don't think any of the Egyptian Pantheon are going to put Black Adam down on their resumes. He's a black mark on their reputation.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:46 pm Image

J2 (Zane Yama-Marko)
Created By:
Tom DeFalco & Ron Frenze
First Appearance: What If #105 (1998)

-Among the signature characters of the MC2-verse was J2, the second Juggernaut. It was a pretty solid idea- take one of the most popular villains of Marvel, one fans were always clamoring to see more of, and give him a legacy version in the future! They did a "Billy Batson" thing with him, having a juvenile gain the uber-powers of the Juggernaut, but the '90s'd him up with the flannel jacked around the waist. Zane Yama-Marko is the son of the Juggernaut (who was now missing) and a Japanese-American woman, and not only appeared in A-Next, but got his own series, which also lasted twelve issues.

-During the course of his book, Zane finally discovers his father, trapped in another dimension by a guy called Nemesis- he reunites his parents, but then the book goes away. Oddly, to me, he's probably the most iconic MC2 character, despite Mayday being more important- maybe because his costume stands out so much? Very "90s Teenager" and all that. His schtick was that he was REALLY young- both being immature and kind of cowardly, unwilling to put himself in danger even though he was nearly invulnerable- a pretty good, realistic character trait- I mean, if you spent your whole life normal, then you're not gonna magically turn brave once you gain powers- your body is still all "OH NO DANGER- RUN AWAY!!!"
I actually kind of liked J2. They were clearly aping the old Spider-Man style-stories, but inverted it to where instead of having a kind-of-strong hero who was more well known for his agility and smarts, you had a guy with top tier strength/durability often facing situations where he needed to use Peter Parker style intelligence and creativity to win.

That "shirt around the waist" look was dated, but eventually his dad came back and he gave him that shirt back. With it gone, J2's outfit was actually a pretty cool update of the Juggernaut outfit.

And it was interesting that Zane early on got in over his head, and would sometimes panic. To be fair, his only real major panic moment was when he was going up against a pissed off Hulk, who was the first person Zane encountered who could really hurt him in Juggernaut mode. To his credit he did go back and throw himself fully into a fight against the Hulk, even noting that he was destined to lose it because the Hulk would eventually overpower him. Still, given the kid was able to trade punches with the Hulk pretty evenly for a while, J2 was definitely the powerhouse of the MC2 setting. Later books showed him evolving into a proper hero, and I'd say him and Spider-Girl were probably the most iconic of the series.

One thing I was never sure if they explained or not was that Zane would sometimes spontaneously revert back to his human form. It popped up several times early on, but I don't know what the explanation for it was. It didn't seem to happen once his dad returned to the mainstream universe, tho.

But yeah, I dug the twist on the Peter Parker concept by making him a Class 100 brick rather than an agile fighter, even if the Spider-Man powerset generally works better for that kind of hero.

Jabroniville

Blacklight

Post by Jabroniville »

This looks SO MUCH like a Bruce Timm drawing & design, except nobody else in that world looks like that.

BLACKLIGHT (Kandra Freeman)
Created By:
Tom DeFalco & Ron Frenz
First Appearance: A-Next #9 (1999)
Role: Legacy Hero
PL 8 (107)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+4)
Deception 2 (+4)
Insight 2 (+4)
Perception 2 (+4)
Stealth 1 (+4)

Advantages: 
Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Light Constructs" Create 8 (Extras: Movable) (24) -- [27]
  • AE: Darkforce Blast 8 (16)
  • AE: Move Object 8 (16)
  • AE: Force Field 5 (5)
Flight 7 (250 mph) [14]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Darkforce Blast +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3 (+8 Force Field), Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Relationship (Monica Rambeau & Duane Freeman, Parents)- Kandra's parents are the Avenger known as Captain Marvel, Photon, and other stuff, while her father was once the Avengers' government liaison.

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 41 / Defenses: 11 (107)

-So when I grabbed a bunch of random names from that list of characters I was missing (aka "The List"), I didn't realize that one of them was an MC2 character, but what the hey- I'm largely unfamiliar with the comics of that world, as they coincide almost EXACTLY with the time period when I'd pretty much quit reading comics (I got back into them around 2001 or so), and I never see them collected in trades. Blacklight here is the daughter of Monica Rambeau, the one-time beloved Mary Sue of Roger Stern's Avengers run (I still love that one fan letter around this time which was like "I like the character, but does she HAVE to be absolutely perfect and skilled in every possible way, and never do any wrong?") who later became more well-known as "the chick who keeps changing her freaking name". Using Darkforce powers, this rookie was able to save Kevin Masterson and allied with the next-generation Avengers roster "A-Next".

-A standard PL 8 Rookie, Blacklight is a low-level Green Lantern type, with not a lot of powers having been described. Still, it's a good start.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab's Builds! (Ed! Kolin! Menat! Stinger! American Dream! Mainframe!

Post by Ares »

Huh, you'd think she'd have some level of super-strength with how she's throwing around people right there. And of all people, pairing up Monica Rambeau and Duane Freeman just feels weird. The pair of them barely interacted in the comics. I honestly would have have had the exact same concept, look and powers, but have her be the daughter of Cloak and Dagger, with the combo of their abilities balancing out to this powerset, and have her be relatively angst free, unlike her parents.

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:39 am Huh, you'd think she'd have some level of super-strength with how she's throwing around people right there. And of all people, pairing up Monica Rambeau and Duane Freeman just feels weird. The pair of them barely interacted in the comics. I honestly would have have had the exact same concept, look and powers, but have her be the daughter of Cloak and Dagger, with the combo of their abilities balancing out to this powerset, and have her be relatively angst free, unlike her parents.
Yeah, I totally forgot that fact, but Duane was... kind of goofy-looking and rather old in appearance. Near as I can tell, the only thing he has in common with Monica is skin color. Though I guess it's no worse a "huh?" pairing than Wolverine & Elektra.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:33 am
Ares wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:39 am Huh, you'd think she'd have some level of super-strength with how she's throwing around people right there. And of all people, pairing up Monica Rambeau and Duane Freeman just feels weird. The pair of them barely interacted in the comics. I honestly would have have had the exact same concept, look and powers, but have her be the daughter of Cloak and Dagger, with the combo of their abilities balancing out to this powerset, and have her be relatively angst free, unlike her parents.
Yeah, I totally forgot that fact, but Duane was... kind of goofy-looking and rather old in appearance. Near as I can tell, the only thing he has in common with Monica is skin color. Though I guess it's no worse a "huh?" pairing than Wolverine & Elektra.
Logan and Elektra makes a LITTLE more sense to me. Both of them have that fascination with Japanese culture, both of them struggle with their inner demons, both of them are fighters who are more willing to kill, etc. If anything, Logan has a lot of the nobility and brooding that Matt Murdock has, only Elektra would likely see Logan as less repressed and more "free". And with Logan having a thing for strong women, that really doesn't seem like that much of a stretch.

Scots Dragon

Post by Scots Dragon »

Ares wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:13 am
Scots Dragon wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:11 am I think the courage of Mehen can fill in if Achilles is unavailable.
I don't think any of the Egyptian Pantheon are going to put Black Adam down on their resumes. He's a black mark on their reputation.
The Courage of Elbiam then.
Formerly known as Narsil on the ATT and Ronin Army forums.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Ares wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:13 am
Jabroniville wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:33 am
Logan and Elektra makes a LITTLE more sense to me. Both of them have that fascination with Japanese culture, both of them struggle with their inner demons, both of them are fighters who are more willing to kill, etc. If anything, Logan has a lot of the nobility and brooding that Matt Murdock has, only Elektra would likely see Logan as less repressed and more "free". And with Logan having a thing for strong women, that really doesn't seem like that much of a stretch.
This is pretty much what I meant when I said that the MC2 was set in precise moment of Earth 616 continuity (i.e. more or less around Onslaught) and some of the stories pushed really hard to include elements from that particular era.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Kolin! Menat! American Dream! Mainframe! J2!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Huh, well I'll be dipped. The Edmonton Comic Expo added a lot more guests when I wasn't paying attention, to the point where I now have to put EFFORT into coming up with questions for people: https://edmontonexpo.com/guests/artists-and-creators/

Larry Hama's going to be there (doing TWO panels, even! One for G.I. Joe, and one for just him)... boy is HE going to have fun dealing with a certain recent question about that franchise.

And FABIAN NICIEZA is going to be there! Now THERE's a guy I've always wanted to talk to! Probably 50% of my comic book reading in the early '90s was his writing, and his New Warriors holds up better than almost any comic from that era- sure, that's like being Valedictorian of Summer School, but come on.

Jim Steranko? Holy hell- THAT's a guy who hasn't been around comics for ages!