J-Mart OG: Closed for a new location!

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: J-Mart: Vega, The Fantastic Four, Doctor Doom

Post by Ares »

Yeah, I don't want anyone to misunderstand that Doom isn't a VILLAIN, it's just that he's interesting because he's a villain with a lot of sides to him. No one with an outsider's perspective should actively want to live in a world Doom controls, anymore than we'd want to live in a world controlled by Darth Vader and the Emperor. In a way, Doom is basically what happens when you combine Vader and the Emperor into a single person: He's got all the scheming arrogance and desire for control the Emperor does, but he's got some of the sympathetic qualities Vader does, as well as the awesome design and sheer presence. The difference being that Doom packs in a lot of the UNsympathetic qualities of the Emperor as well, so you don't feel as much for the guy. You want to see Doom's plan's thwarted, you want to see him defeated, but he's got to do so with a certain sense of style, grandeur, and misguided nobility, in addition to his arrogance and ego.

Doom is one of those guys where you'd never want him to win . . . but when you see him do things like take on the Beyonder, fight Celestials, take on Odin, you feel oddly compelled to root for the guy.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

For me Doom represents the best and worst of humanity. Intelligence without compassion, morality and wisdom. Drive without the care of who or what gets destroyed on the way to achieve his goals. His utter hate for Reed is only matched by is belief that the world would be better with him in a ruler . I think what works for him is the same thing we hate about him . He will justify any action to achieve his ultimate goal of ruling the world. He is a dark mirror of ourselves. Or maybe not that dark..my two cents.
Scots Dragon

Post by Scots Dragon »

Doctor Doom is easily one of my favourite supervillains because he's pretty much got it all as far as villains go. He's three dimensional and sympathetic enough as a character to actually He's often very complex and nuanced in his motivations, but also extremely straightforward in his goals. He's perfectly willing to dominate or murder or lie to achieve his goals, but is dismissive of ideas like racism or sexism or otherwise.

On top of that, he's a mad scientist in a suit of powered armour and an evil wizard who could well have managed to be Sorcerer Supreme and a dicatator with an entire country at his command.
Formerly known as Narsil on the ATT and Ronin Army forums.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Doom's the man. Simple as that.

I'd known about him and read about him for years, but it wasn't until 8th grade when I first read Secret Wars that I really GOT the character.

And that scene of him being dissected alive by the Beyonder and still pulling it off really made the character for me. Showed me that there's something in a villain that you can really respect and still see them as the villain. That showing of will has always stuck with me.

And that he's so brilliant, but that his ego and arrogance are really the only thing that hold him back....that's sweet.
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Sorry about the lack of merch for the past month, things have been crazy busy with the Young Thorpocalypses' schedules and other stuff. Last marching band competition is this weekend and football ends in a couple of weeks. So after a week or so of recovery, I'll get back at it. I might have a few things coming soon, but honestly, by the time I get home from running them around and going to games and such, I'm exhausted so I sit in my recliner and watch YouTube or Rick and Morty until I fall asleep. 'Cause I'm like all old and stuff. 8-)
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Ahaha. Perfectly understandable.

Can't wait until the J-Mart reopens.
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

I know I should have posted this in the Movies thread but I had to get a response from Ares on this news here at J-Mart!

Zachary Levi to play Shazam
Sidious

Re: J-Mart: Re-opening soon...Question for Ares :)

Post by Sidious »

We really need a like button...
Ken

Post by Ken »

L-Space posted a link down in the Entertainment room earlier.

I decided Mr. Levi would be great as the Captain several years ago, when Chuck (from Chuck) was fighting someone played by Brandon Routh.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:16 pm I know I should have posted this in the Movies thread but I had to get a response from Ares on this news here at J-Mart!

Zachary Levi to play Shazam
I don't really know the actor well enough to feel one way or the other. My main concern is with the tone and direction of the movie and the likely fact that this'll be a "Shazam" movie instead of "Captain Marvel in a Shazam film".
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

If you've seen Tangled, when you've at least heard his voice :).
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

And that he played Fandral in Thor Dark world

I like the choice all he really needs is some time at the Gym to bulk up and he should be fine
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Ken

Post by Ken »

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Concept art, nnnn. But please note Mr. Levi's words about "bringing the original Captain Marvel to life". It's not a guarantee, by any stretch, but at least when the lead actor is getting the lead character's name right, there's hope.

Thorpocalypse

Re: 299 - The Thing

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Ah, feels good to be back at work. Before I post some new stuff, I decided to do a little cleaning around the store and I decided to make a few tweaks to my FF. They're all going up a PL because they're the FF, dammit!

I'm adjusting some others, too, since I can never leave well enough alone. Probably have a couple of new builds up during the week, but unfortunately we have a family friend that is losing his fight with cancer so I may have to put things to the side a bit to go out of town.
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:05 pm And last, but certainly not least in our FANTASTIC SPECIAL is a J-Mart Favorite Item that completes our Four Pack! Check it out on Aisle 2!

THE THING
PL12

OPL: 12; DPL: 11; HP: 1
Height: 6-6
Weight: 500
Eyes: Blue
Hair: None
Race: Human Mutate
Identity: Public
Alignment: Hero
Base of Operations: New York, NY, USA
Team Affiliations: Fantastic Four; Guardians of the Galaxy; JLAXI

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 14, STAMINA 12, AGILITY 3, DEXTERITY 2, FIGHTING 8, INTELLECT 1, AWARENESS 3, PRESENCE 4

SKILLS: Athletics 2 (+16), Close Combat [Unarmed] 2 (+10), Deception 2 (+6), Expertise [Streetwise] 6 (+7), Insight (+3), Intimidation 5 (+9/+10) [Startle], Perception 4 (+7), Persuasion 3 (+7), Ranged Combat [Throwing] 5 (+7), Stealth (+3/+1), Technology 1 (+2), Vehicles 12 (+14)

ADVANTAGES: Accurate Attack, Damaging Escape*, Equipment (2), Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Interpose, Power Attack (1) (Unarmed), Startle, Takedown (1), Teamwork

POWERS:
Thing Size: Growth 2 (+2 Str, +2 Sta, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth, +1 Intimidation, Speed +0, +2 Mass; Extra: Innate, Permanent); 5 pts
Rocky Hide: Protection 2, Impervious 13, Immunity 5 (All Environmental Effects); 20 pts
Super Strength: Enhanced Strength 4 (600,000 Tons; Flaw: Limited to Lifting); 4 pt
Sensory Shield: Immunity 5 (Dazzle effects); 5 pts
Athleticism: Leaping 2 (30 ft); 2 pts
Super Strength Stunts: Alternate Effect Array of Strength; 3 pts
Sonic Slam: Cone Area Affliction 12 (Resisted by Fortitude; 1st: Dazed, 2nd: Stunned, Extra: Cone Area [60 ft cone], Flaw: Limited to Two Degrees); 1 pt
Groundstrike: Burst Area Affliction 12 (Resisted by Dodge; 1st: Hindered, 2nd: Prone, Extras: Burst Area 2 [60 ft radius], Flaws: Limited to two degrees, Instant Recovery, Limited [Thing and targets must be on the ground]); 1 pt
Shockwave: Burst Area Damage 12 (Extra: Burst Area [30 ft], Flaw: Thing and targets must be on the ground); 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
(10 pts)
Fantastic Four Costume: Features 2 (Monitors vital signs, PDA), Senses 1 (Communication Link [Fantastic Four]); 3 pts
Ben also pays for 1/4 of the Fantasticar (Listed with Mister Fantastic); 5 pts

OFFENSE:
Initiative +3
Close Attack +8
Unarmed +10 [Unarmed +14]
Ranged Attack +5
Throwing +7
Special Attacks [Sonic Slam Affliction +12, Cone Area; Groundstrike +12, Burst Area; Shockwave +12, Burst Area]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +8 [DC18] Parry +8 [DC18]
Toughness +14 (+7 Impervious), Fortitude +12, Will +7

COMPLICATIONS:
Enemy: Dr. Doom, Super Skrull, Annihilus, Red Ghost and others
Fame: The FF are known the world over and never hid their secret identities
Monstrous Appearance: His appearance can cause issues for him at times
Relationships: Reed Richards, Johnny (most of the time), Sue and her children, Valeria and Franklin and Alicia Masters, his long time girlfriend
Rivalry: The Yancy Street Gang, Johnny (most of the time), and he always a piece of The Hulk

Abilities 86 + Skills 21 (42 ranks) + Advantages 13 + Powers 39 + Defenses 9 = 168 / 168