M&M 3e, Young Protectors OOC (Full)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
StarGuard

Re: M&M 3e, Young Protectors (Open recruiting closed))

Post by StarGuard »

Just yanking your chain EE :D

I do have a personal aversion to removable array builds (read battle suits and the reason I can't seem to build the Mage I really want to play) but I've had enough PM discussions in the past with HH that as a GM I'm positive he'll turn it all into fun story material ... which in the end what we're all here for.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

StarGuard wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:55 am Just yanking your chain EE :D

I do have a personal aversion to removable array builds (read battle suits and the reason I can't seem to build the Mage I really want to play) but I've had enough PM discussions in the past with HH that as a GM I'm positive he'll turn it all into fun story material ... which in the end what we're all here for.
Oh, I know you were just teasing ;)
McGuffin

Post by McGuffin »

Horsenhero wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:05 am
Hawk wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:39 am Can't wait to see which team I am on.
Well the first post is edited to reflect school and city.

In Ravensport we have Devil Dog, Blitz, N'sekt, Presto! and Rakshasa.

In New Chapel we have Blade of Poseidon, Knave of Hearts/Jack Clubs, Vulcan, Warlock and Yeoman.

The IC threads will be labeled Young Protectors: Ravensport and Young Protectors: New Chapel respectively.
Cool, looking forward to getting started! :D
Otso Karell/Ursa, student at the New Vindicators Academy Europe.
Kriv of Clan Myastan, Dragonborn Noble Paladin in On the Road.
Hawk

Post by Hawk »

EpicEclipse wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:32 am
StarGuard wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:00 am Hawk: If I'm not mistaken your character is currently built at PL6.5 defensively and 7.5 offensively? Not a criticism just an observation :geek:
Not mistaken, also your Ranged Combat skill is off by 1. (You put 5 points in it. 5+4 = 9, making your club throw PL6.5 as well)
I will try and clean him up. I have some ideas from EpicEclipse, that will help.
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

Zero Prime wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:59 pm
EpicEclipse wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:48 pm Are we gonna have team captains and picks teams gradeschool style? :P
Dear god no! I don't want to be picked last ... :P
Well you weren't picked last but you missed out on MIT and had to settle for Stanford ;)

PS: I'm also available if you want need a second set of eyes on something :D
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Well this team line-up will make it much more difficult to follow Yeoman around with a pair of coconut shells...

Onwards!

On another note, are we going to be going to school by day and "living" at our HQ? Or is it a boarding-type school, and we visit the HQ on our 'time off'?
Hawk

Post by Hawk »

Hawk wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:16 pm
EpicEclipse wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:32 am
StarGuard wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:00 am Hawk: If I'm not mistaken your character is currently built at PL6.5 defensively and 7.5 offensively? Not a criticism just an observation :geek:
Not mistaken, also your Ranged Combat skill is off by 1. (You put 5 points in it. 5+4 = 9, making your club throw PL6.5 as well)
I will try and clean him up. I have some ideas from EpicEclipse, that will help.
Devil Dog has been edited.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

He's looking spiffy. Just a few small errors I see and one bigger one that's my fault methinks. I'll see what I can do about the bigger one, but the smaller ones are; Your Unarmed is listed at +10, but I think it should be +8, your Acrobatics isn't listing how many skill points you have in it, and your math on Athletics is off by 1, should be +8, not +9, and lastly, your overall skill point count looks to be a bit off from the 44 you have listed. It can be easy to lose track of skill points, so you don't wanna rip yourself off. (I probably count my skill points more often than anything else) Like I said, small ones.

The big one is the Affliction in your snare wire. When I suggested that set up for it, I forgot that Instant Recovery doesn't really work unless the power's duration is increased.
Zero Prime

Post by Zero Prime »

Wouldn't Instant Recovery on an Instant effect, ie. Snare, mean that the target makes a Resistance check when attacked, however on their action in the Initiative order, they recover without a check? So the conditions imposed would only last until the end of their next turn in the initiative order?

At least that's how I interpret it.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Zero Prime wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:07 pm Wouldn't Instant Recovery on an Instant effect, ie. Snare, mean that the target makes a Resistance check when attacked, however on their action in the Initiative order, they recover without a check? So the conditions imposed would only last until the end of their next turn in the initiative order?

That's my point really :P Instant Recovery means they recover without a check as soon as you stop maintaining the power, which is as soon as it's let off, so they would recovery instantly and look really confused for a second.

Snare Wire: Ranged Cumulative Affliction 6 (1st: Hindered & Vulnerable, 2nd: Defenseless, Immobilized), Concentration, Extra Condition, Alternate resistance(Dodge), Diminished Range, Instant Recovery, Limited Degree, Limited (can only have one target snared at a time), Distracting

This should fix it. I added Concentration and Distracting. After all, it's tension wire, so you need to maintain tension or it loosens its hold and Distracting more because you're in a psudo grapple, working on ensnaring them more. It's a good control effect against single targets, not something you'd use in the middle of a melee with a gaggle of goons. Maybe on the last one to get information. The cost doesn't change since the new extra and flaw cancel each other out.
Zero Prime

Post by Zero Prime »

It's still useful though depending on Initiative Order; DD 20, Blitz 18, Big Bad 16.

On Initiative 20 DD Snares the Big Bad who fails his Resistance check with a total of 10, failing by 6, 2nd degree failure. His is Immobilized & Defenseless, which opens him up to either a) DD Surging for a 2nd attack, or b) Blitz laying the sucker out with a Power Attack against a Defenseless foe. Should he still be conscious, at the end of Initiative turn 16 Big Bad *automatically* recovers from the snare due to Instant Recovery.
Hawk

Post by Hawk »

EpicEclipse wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:13 pm
Zero Prime wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:07 pm Wouldn't Instant Recovery on an Instant effect, ie. Snare, mean that the target makes a Resistance check when attacked, however on their action in the Initiative order, they recover without a check? So the conditions imposed would only last until the end of their next turn in the initiative order?

That's my point really :P Instant Recovery means they recover without a check as soon as you stop maintaining the power, which is as soon as it's let off, so they would recovery instantly and look really confused for a second.

Snare Wire: Ranged Cumulative Affliction 6 (1st: Hindered & Vulnerable, 2nd: Defenseless, Immobilized), Concentration, Extra Condition, Alternate resistance(Dodge), Diminished Range, Instant Recovery, Limited Degree, Limited (can only have one target snared at a time), Distracting

This should fix it. I added Concentration and Distracting. After all, it's tension wire, so you need to maintain tension or it loosens its hold and Distracting more because you're in a psudo grapple, working on ensnaring them more. It's a good control effect against single targets, not something you'd use in the middle of a melee with a gaggle of goons. Maybe on the last one to get information. The cost doesn't change since the new extra and flaw cancel each other out.
I have made the suggested changes. I re-added my skill points and allocated them. Hopefully I haven't missed anything. Thanks for your help.
Syncretik

Post by Syncretik »

EpicEclipse wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:13 pm Snare Wire: Ranged Cumulative Affliction 6 (1st: Hindered & Vulnerable, 2nd: Defenseless, Immobilized), Concentration, Extra Condition, Alternate resistance(Dodge), Diminished Range, Instant Recovery, Limited Degree, Limited (can only have one target snared at a time), Distracting
Does that Limited flaw really work with a Concentration power? Since it requires a standard action to maintain, and has Instant Recovery, the only time you could have more than one target snared is with the additional action granted by extra effort, and I can definitely see him restraining two people at once (one with each arm) under that circumstance.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Bugger. You're right. :oops:

It would work if the power was sustained or continuous but not concentration. Just like programming... fix one thing just to break something else. Hmm... how to fix it without raising the cost significantly...
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Syncretik wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:18 pm
EpicEclipse wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:13 pm Snare Wire: Ranged Cumulative Affliction 6 (1st: Hindered & Vulnerable, 2nd: Defenseless, Immobilized), Concentration, Extra Condition, Alternate resistance(Dodge), Diminished Range, Instant Recovery, Limited Degree, Limited (can only have one target snared at a time), Distracting
Does that Limited flaw really work with a Concentration power? Since it requires a standard action to maintain, and has Instant Recovery, the only time you could have more than one target snared is with the additional action granted by extra effort, and I can definitely see him restraining two people at once (one with each arm) under that circumstance.
I think drop the Cumulative and the Limited to one snared target.
Snare Wire: Ranged Affliction 6 (1st: Hindered & Vulnerable, 2nd: Defenseless, Immobilized), Concentration, Extra Condition, Alternate resistance(Dodge), Diminished Range, Instant Recovery, Limited Degree, Distracting
The alternative is changing it from a wire that coils back up in your clubs into some kind of projectile bola type deal, which would be neat, and is an option, but it's not the same conceptually to what you had

If you want to go with the projectile version, it would look more like;
Snare Wire: Ranged Affliction 6 (1st: Hindered & Vulnerable, 2nd: Defenseless, Immobilized), Extra Condition, Alternate resistance(Dodge), Diminished Range, Unreliable(5 uses)
Or you can reduce the range to Close;
Snare Wire: Cumulative Affliction 6 (1st: Hindered & Vulnerable, 2nd: Defenseless, Immobilized), Concentration, Extra Condition, Alternate resistance(Dodge), Diminished Range, Instant Recovery, Limited Degree, Distracting
I think those are your best options. Anyone note if I missed anything (again)?