Help/advice

General discussions about role-playing games. Share stories, ask for advice, talk about the industry, etc.
RUSCHE

Help/advice

Post by RUSCHE »

I am beginning to plan out a Supernatural/Horror campaign. The idea is that magic,myth and the things that go bump in the night were true . They were pushed back into the darkness and left for stories to tell around the campfire .
I would like to have some of the myths to be based of some truths, silver against werewolves, stake of wood for vampires ect..
I would like to place a house rule though. It would make it possible to slow down the creatures you were not prepared for. It would simply be this, you can't bring them down below 3rd condition unless you have the appropriate gear for said monster.

Thoughts? Second I would like to have the gear of heroes,demi-gods ect..how would one state up Thor belt of strength, gauntlets..(no Mjolnir, too powerful) Caliburn And the like.
PL is 9 to start off with and every character has been touched by evil, what has been seen cannot be unseen by them. The reason that the darkness is coming back may be tied to how the world is broken now. No unity, use vs them..the barrier is cracking and things are seeping through. The gods of old,heroes and the light need soldiers to check this or die trying. I would like the players to be able to notice or see evil or at least sense it. True sight? High perception limited to mystical things?
Sorry for the long post any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and have a great day.
catsi563

Re: Help/advice

Post by catsi563 »

well in regards to the supernatural resitances most people just stat that up with a simple complication that their regen or impervious doesn't work against certain elements such as silver etc. how this works is yeah its possible for me to put a werewolf at the 4th condition with a rocket launcher or a tank cannon.

the real question though is will they stay down? and the answer is no they wont. thus you award the heroes a hero point and say you see the vampire stagger out of the crater made by the tank shell his limbs regrowing rapidly and he doesn't look happy to see you.

most of the magical items pretty much just depend on what effects youre going for. Thors belt really is enhanced strength possibly some power lifting not much more to it, Excalibur's sheath is impervious protection or high regeneration.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

Thank you for the input, I was leaning on winging it as we go along in how to deal with the special immunities and such. Our group is easy going on house rules and such. Again thank you for the advice.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

No probs. Mostly you need to make sure you shoot for consistency as best you can. If you allowed one player to take a werewolf apart with a bazooka it doesn't make sense that a second bazooka shot cant do the same.

Just make sure to be consistent in your rulings.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

As catsi said, Regeneration and Impervious can handle a lout of what you're setting out to do. The Dresden Files game operates in a similar way, where taking supernatural durability and regeneration requires you to have a flaw that your resistance will not defend against. So werewolves will regenerate any damage not done by silver.

A fair way to model this might to be to give everything some regeneration where even if you kill them without their Weakness, they'll just come back to life in a certain amount of time. More difficult creatures will have a Regen at a higher level that is always active, so that the best you might manage is to weaken them enough to get away. And the really tough ones will have not only Regen but some levels of Impervious that allows them to simply ignore damage under a certain threshold unless it's the proper damage.

One idea for the "can put them down but can't kill them" types might be to have two separate Regeneration powers. One would be be the one that functions all of the time and makes them difficult to kill. The second one would be activated whenever it looks like the monster is about to go down, and adds itself to the first, allowing much more rapid regeneration. It would have some limit on it like "you need to give the players a hero point to trigger it" or "the monster can't do anything that round but regenerate". I kind of prefer the latter option, as it seems to fit the types of scenarios you see in films. The heroes blow up the bad guy, but then you get a scene where the monster starts to rebuild itself, but can only rebuild itself, and the heroes have a chance to escape while the monster pulls itself together. Any attacks made on it while it's pulling itself together quickly heal, making the heroes realize that further combat is pointless.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

Thank you for all the advice, I like the regen of different levels. My whole question started after watching Monster Squad again with my youngest son and the wolfman recovering from the Tnt in his shorts...
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

RUSCHE wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:04 pm Thank you for all the advice, I like the regen of different levels. My whole question started after watching Monster Squad again with my youngest son and the wolfman recovering from the Tnt in his shorts...
In that case, Wolfman's Regen would have two vulnerabilities:

- Limited: Does not regen damage from Silver weapons / objects
- Quirk: Does not regen damage from Kicks to the Nards.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

Well played,well played....haha