(IC) Children of the Atom (An X-Men AU game, M&M 3E)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
EpicEclipse

(IC) Children of the Atom (An X-Men AU game, M&M 3E)

Post by EpicEclipse »

It is a beautiful say in North Salem, New York. The grounds of the Manor that you all call home are freshly tended and buzzing with activity of the school's various residents as classes are out for a break. Students and staff have lunch provided by the school which is always nutritious and catered for special dietary needs, not not necessarily exciting.

Of the activities available, the Manor has a vast library doubling as a study hall, a games room with various intellectually stimulating board games as well as some of the old class that appeal more to the younger students, the basketball court in the rear and the grounds themselves which extend quite far out, leaving plenty of space to find a quiet spot for study, reflection or just some personal time.
Go ahead and set yourselves up. What classes you just had or still have coming up, if any of you have the same classes or hang out together/ Feel free to create some minor drama as well with maybe some bullies, though keeping in mind bullying is highly frowned on, so wouldn't be extensive or so overt to be easily caught.

I'll take what you guys put into your setup and weave the threads together. I'll post some professors and their classes in the OOC thread as well.
CaptainChaos

Re: (IC) Children of the Atom (An X-Men AU game, M&M 3E)

Post by CaptainChaos »

Thermic hp: 1

Brittney sat quietly near the woods. She enjoyed coming out here. It was peaceful and the quiet gave her a chance to think about home. She still missed her mother after all these years. She had so many unanswered questions about that day, the day her abilities surfaced and she was forced to run away. Had her mother voluntarily turned her in or had she been forced to? She may never know the answers.

Brittney munched on an apple while she half heartedly studied her philosophy textbook. The subject itself wasn't bad, especially the in class ethics and morals discussions. It wasn't long before Agnetha, aka Ivy, strolled up and sat next to her.

"Hi, what are you reading?"

"Just some philosophy, nothing exciting." she answered in a bored tone of voice.

Brittney looked at the young girl. She was a few years younger and had only been at the school a few weeks. The girl was pretty quiet and introverted, which made her an easy target for the few bullies at the school. The two met when Brittney intervened in an incident. One of the students from somewhere in South America, Brittney couldn't be bothered to learn which country, was harassing Ivy. The bully had used her abilities to split into 4 identical copies and had surrounded the young Swedish girl. For Brittney, it had been easy to determine which one was the original. It was the only one with a heat signature. Brittney had simply attacked the bully, causing her to lose her concentration. With the duplicates gone, the bully stopped the taunting and ran away. Unfortunately for Brittney, the girl reported her to school administrators.

Brittney received only light punishment for the incident due to Agnetha putting in a good word for her. The result of her interference was that now Agnetha thought of Brittney as her best friend. When Brittney discussed this with the school counselor, she was told it would be good for her to be a mentor to Agnetha.

In truth, the two if them developed a kind of friendship. Once Brittney leaned about Agnethas' ability to control plants, the girl helped her with her gymnastics training. Agnetha would grow roots and other obstacles for Brittney to flip, roll, and run through. She would extend branches for use as improvised balance beams and bars to flip around. Brittney got to know the girl better and thought of her as a younger sister.

"Hey! Want to do some training?" the girl asked, a huge smile on her face.

Brittney pushed aside her book and smiled back.

"Sure!"

The two girls got up and headed into the trees.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Sharq
HP: 1

---

"Aw yeah! Top that one Braindrain!" Ana bragged to her friend as a basketball dribbled to the court's west side, throwing up gang signs. Last period she had slogged through the single most boring subject of the entire school, English Literature with Mr. Xavier himself, and was eager to get her blood pumping before Phys. Ed. started next period. This was currently being accomplished with a game of HORSE between herself and her closest buddy Eddie. And suffice to say, it was going pretty well.

He winced, picking up the ball and making his way over to her. "I didn't think you'd actually make it. How do you keep getting these baskets, I already have four letters!"

"Well, then I guess you shouldn't miss this one then." She teased with a cocky grin, moving away from the central round to give him a chance to make a bank swish. Eddie, as his nickname indicated, had some weird psychic powers that could make other dumber while making himself smarter, only for a short while though. And something about having his mutation resulted in loosing the top half of his skull and leaving his brain on display. Luckily the headmaster knew some people who were able to get it covered with a shiny metal implant. Otherwise, he was a nerdy looking kid with creamy skin and be-speckled blue eyes.

No, he definitely wasn't the typical athletic type a girl like her would probably hang around, but they sat next to eachother in three classes and ended up bonding over this and that. One of which being how they were obvious mutants, but also including a shared love of video games and those changing robot toys. While playing something competitive on the games room TV would've been a fun way to spend free period, today was her turn to pick.

Thunk-Shwish!

"Whoa, I got it!"

"Oh my god no way! You can barely get make a basket when on the paint and you get one now? Ughhh!" She bemoaned, waiting for Eddie to make another shot.

He grinned widely as he moved closer to the hoop, ball in hand. "Face it Sharq, I just got... maaad skills!" He declared, hoping to match it with another shot. Unfortunately for him it caught on the rim and bounced right into Ana's waiting arms. He hung his head in shame while his friend giggled at his defeat.

"Not mad enough it seems. Hook shot!"
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Wally Iverson, Skew
HP:1 LP:2

Dear Diary,
How's it fooling anyone! Like my school-appointed head shrink aint gonna comb through the thoughts I chunder all over these pages. Thems the ones that told me to keep this in the first place so's I don't get turned out or even thrown to Old Bill, the rozzers, fuzz, the bobbies, whatever you call the police around here. 'Pigs', right? Your American slang is all tits up.
So here I am. Writing like a tosser.
Well, sun's shining outside. I'm supposed to focus on the positive right? Well I'm positive it gets cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey at night, so I'm glad it's at least tolerable now. Not that I'm out there to enjoy it!
I'm still reeling that the old John Thomas in the chair is absolutely minted! There I was thinking he was all mouth no trousers, but no! Don't go spare! I promised nothing dodgy and I means it. All the old codger's bits n bobs are safe as houses. So that's a positive!
Now for the bad. Detention... again!
Look, Home Economics seemed like a simple 'A'. Just cooking and sh!t, right? Easy to skive or wag off. But the wrangler teaching us IS WEARING A FISHBOWL ON HIS HEAD! He's a 'Teacher From the Black Lagoon'! How was I supposed to know he'd go off his trolley if I took a little cheek as his expense.
I mean, it's home ec right? I just asked when we was gonna learn how to make sushi, or that french soup, vish-i-swah, but he really busted a nut when I asked about shark fin soup. Okay Okay, In my defense I didn't know the girl with the teeth was his DAUGHTER. I swear I wasn't even thinking of her! Hell, I've been calling her Toothy Smurf in my head! I forgot she had anything to DO with sharks. Took me a bell's toll to even recall she was the same girl in English Lit (another class that I thought would be an easy 'A' but aint! I mean, I'm English right! That's HALF the class right there! Shoulda been a doddle. For me it's just... Literature. That's like, anything I read, right?) So, Mr. Moya is going barmy saying I was threatening violence to his daughter. The Headmaster had to sort it out. I almost suggested sprinkling some fish flakes in the bowl but I figured I was in deep enough as is. What happened was worse, he asked if he could look in my head to get to the truth of it. I'm not liking that one bit but I says yes cuz... cuz I really don't want to be nunneried. And the old guys looks at me with those piercing sea peepers of his and smiles a little. Tells the talking cod that I had no intention of harming anyone at the school. He's right but.... see.... I didn't feel a thing. Not one inkling that he was poking bout my noggin. Makes me wonder what else he can do without me feeling it, what else he might know. I half convince myself the old nob was lying and maybe he couldn't even get into my head when he says in a low voice that it was good I didn't mention the flakes. Mind Blown!
So... I'm snookered six ways from Sunday. Because I was still a mouthy cuss I got detention for a week! Every break and an hour after regular classes sitting in the study hall, quiet. Supposed to be doing homework or studying or some such. Just can't leave. Being watched by the goody-goody Hall Monitor, lookin all high-and-mighty. Bullocks!
So that's my story, Diary. I hope you choke on it!

Skew closes his journal. Opens one of his textbooks and adjusts his sunglasses and leans his head on a hand to 'read'. Really the sunglasses and hand over his ear hide the portals he uses to see and hear any useful conversations or look for any thing 'fun' going on outside.

OOC: New things designated: The school has a mechanism for detention. The school is also having Wally see a shrink and has implied that Wally's continued attendance at the school is contingent upon compliance. There's a Hall Monitor to keep the kids in 'detention' from leaving (left unspecified in case anyone wanted to jump into that role).
"Something pithy this way comes."
Hero4hire

Post by Hero4hire »

REDLINE
HP: 1 Luck (Recover): 4 Condition: Hyper-focused

Robbie sat his eyes almost unblinking as he surveyed the area near "detention'. While most would eschew using their break time for such a task Robbie looked forward to trying to focus on one particular thing. Often his mind wandered throughout the day to a thousand different thoughts...all at once it sometimes seemed! But "Monitor Duty" as Robbie called it, had a somewhat calming effect on him. Anything but his full attention would be a dereliction of duty to him, so he used the self-hypnosis and meditative techniques he was learning to focus all of his attention on the detention area and its surrounding environment.

One of the current "detainees" was a Teleporter; able to manipulate space somehow to instantly move from one place to another. Wally was his name Robbie thought. British kid with a thick accent. The few times they had spoken, Robbie did not quite understand what he was saying. Not wanting to look stupid, he just sort of nodded in agreement, but then felt stupid anyway. What is he up to? He isn't asleep... Robbie mused as Wally just seemed to stare blankly behind his sunglasses.

OOC: I will glom onto the Hall Monitor idea.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Wally continues to scan the surrounding area but his hidden surveillance doesn't seem to impair his interactions in the Study Hall. He raises a hand to get the 'Hall Monitor's' attention.
"Oi! Gaffer," he says loudly breaking the sanctity of silence, "Can I go Spend a Penny?... Hit the Loo?... Visit West Chester?... Drain the Sleepy Weasel?" his hands move as if trying to conjure the right words from thin air, "Can I go to the washroom?" he says finally.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Kevin Winters / Ice
Cond: Frosty (Normal)

Kevin shared a class with Brittney, although he hadn`t noticed whether or not she paid much attention to him. They would be natural fast friends or enemies, with certain of their traits being opposites as they were. He liked to hit the courts after classes, the "no-powers" one-on-one matches were always fun and great equalizers. Kinda shut out the power houses, but that`s what powered games were for, and why they required supervision.

Either way, Sharq and her buddy were using his preferred net at the moment, and while the former could give him a run for his money (truth be told, she was actually better) but he didn`t want to intrude at the moment. Instead he watched. A group of younger students came up beside him, and inevitably one asked to chill their drink, which he did.

Asking him why didn`t just join in the game and freeze the ground for the court advantage caused him to shrug.

"Why bother? To give me an advantage over someone? Meh. Can`t be bothered, if there`s no challenge there's no fun. Pranking someone is all fun - especially if you get away with it. But testing skill versus skill? Ever try to get apple juice from an orange? Would you even t try?

He knew that his opinions caused some to respect him, but others to see him as a goody-two shoes. Thing is, even the latter had to respect him for sticking to what he felt.

Looking up, he gestured and his hand seemed to grow a large scoop ball catcheras he plucked a wayward ball from the air.

"Nice one Ed! No points for it though !"

He tossed the ball back to the two players.
Last edited by Bladewind on Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
Hero4hire

Post by Hero4hire »

Flynnarrel wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:04 pm Wally continues to scan the surrounding area but his hidden surveillance doesn't seem to impair his interactions in the Study Hall. He raises a hand to get the 'Hall Monitor's' attention.
"Oi! Gaffer," he says loudly breaking the sanctity of silence, "Can I go Spend a Penny?... Hit the Loo?... Visit West Chester?... Drain the Sleepy Weasel?" his hands move as if trying to conjure the right words from thin air, "Can I go to the washroom?" he says finally.
Robbie looks confused as Wally goes through several colorful euphemisms. Though he seemed to sort out "washroom".
"Alright." Robbie said simply. But his face said No funny stuff... Of course there would be funny stuff...
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Sharq

---

Ana laughed as she caught the ball Kevin tossed their way. "That's your last letter Ed-boy, seems like it's my win this time."

He rubbed the back of his head, dejected but optimistic. "Just wait until we get on the console, you won't last five minutes!"

"We'll see about that! Hmm..." She trailed off, starting to lightly dribble the basketball. HORSE was fun and all, but she hasn't had the chance go play a full game in awhile now. The cool kid -She visibly snickered at the pun -was hanging out near the court with some of the underclassman. She shot her friend a look, and by his enthusiastic nod he had a similar train of thought.

She turned back to the sideliners and called out to them. "Hey! Uh... Kevin wasn't it? How about you guys come over and we'll play some real ball."
Last edited by Doctor Malsyn on Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Wally nods his thanks but doesn't seem to make a move to rise from his chair. Anyone looking at the teen will see his face is first a mask of concentration, then gradually fading to relief. It's a moment or two then he reaches forward, his hand disappearing into a slivery portal in the air and briefly the sound of a urinal flushing can be heard before the portal closes. "Cheers, mate!" he says to the jock hall monitor.

He nods at another of the students in detention - a tan-skinned girl from South America who was still doing time for bullying. Whether it was a look of horror or interest on her face he couldn't tell. And that made his grin wider.
Hero4hire

Post by Hero4hire »

Robbie's face went from confused to mortified to finally a rigid mask of anger. He took a few purposeful steps towards Wally's table and leaned over resting both hands on the table and spoke in a conspiratorial whisper. "In the future you may wanna be careful what you stick through those holes of yours. You never know what may be on the other side." Suddenly Wally's laptop arced with energy, like tin foil in a microwave. The thing began to smoke slightly and smell of ozone.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Wally watched the boy approach, unconcerned. As the laptop started to smoke and short he actually chuckled. "That was a loaner from the School, Coppertop. Did'ja think I had the quid for me own computer? Oooo..... someone's in trouble when I tell the higher ups. Maybe I'll be YOUR Hall Monitor." Wally says, still amused.

"An I shoulda taken that advice before I was wif your mother last night. Itches sumthin' fierce!"
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

"Does that happen when you play 'tickle your pickle' with her?.... well.... mini-gherkin in your case, but still."

OOC: Wally prepares a Defend action
Hero4hire

Post by Hero4hire »

Robbie looked shocked. "Wha..? I didn't mean to...I mean I didn't want to..." He looked at the smoking ruin. He hadn't meant to destroy the laptop...But electronics sometimes did that when Robbie was around. He stared for long seconds, lost in what he had done untIL Wally's words began to sink in...especially the last part. My...mother???? MY MOTHER!!!! All sense of composure from Robbie was gone. Red energy bled from his eyes as he snapped his head from the computer to Wally.

Ooc: Probably a good dramatic place to put explosions.
CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

Thermic hp: 1 condition: exercising

As Brittney alternated between balancing on thin branches and flipping amongst them, her tutor and friend Agnetha, 'Aggie', worked to keep the course varied by changing the thickness of the branches or shrinking the length. When she lived at home, her training had been on traditional equipment. This new method was preparing her for new challenges she might face in the future.

Brittney leapt from a branch towards a nearby tree. Just as she was reaching for a branch, it twisted away. Brittney tried to adjust her trajectory in midair to grab a lower one. The expression on her face turned to surprise as her fingertips brushed across the bark before she fell. She landed on her butt with a dull thud on the soft undergrowth.

"Oh my God! I'm so sorry! Are you alright?"

Brittney rubbed her sore bottom. She knew she would have a nice bruise later.

"Relax Aggie, I'm fine. Just a bruise, nothing I haven't dealt with dozens of times before."

Brittney rose from her seated position and stretched.

"Nice move by the way. Totally unexpected. I appreciate you keeping me on my toes."

"Thanks. I like doing this, it's fun."

"We should probably head back. I have history next. I'll probably have to put some ice on this to keep the bruising down."

"Hey, how about that guy in your literature class?"

"What guy?"

"You know, that guy Kevin Winters. He's cute. I bet you could get him to put some ice on your bruise."

Brittney blushed slightly. Sure, she knew who he was but hadn't paid too much attention to him. To be honest, she hadn't paid much attention to any guy at the school. She was too busy trying to stay out of trouble. She had lived on the streets and had no desire to go back.

"Aggie! I barely know him. Besides, I am perfectly capable of taking care of a minor injury."

The two girls chatted the rest of the way back to the school buildings.