J-Mart OG: Closed for a new location!

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: J-Mart: FIGHT! Sagat, Goro, Ryu, Ken, Liu Kang, Terry Bogard, Andy Bogard

Post by Ares »

Heh, loving these fighting game builds, as that was definitely my main game genre growing up. I've always been a big martial arts enthusiast, and the various styles, unique looks and chi-based abilities made the who genre just an easy draw for me.

As with comics, I tend to gravitate towards "the hero" character, since they're usually the most balanced in terms of playstyle and I'm just a sucker for the good guys. Ryu, Lui Kang and Jago were my favorite heroes from their respective franchises, all these stoic, Eastern fighters with a strong sense of spirituality. While a lot of people found them boring, I found them pretty admirable and interesting in their own way, especially when they were allowed to evolve, showcase things like a sense of humor or their philosophy, and play off of others.

However, Terry was my favorite hero from the SNK Fighting game-verse, which is funny because on the surface, Andy was the kind of focused martial artist I tended to prefer. My younger brother loved the more fun loving Ken, while Ryu was my guy. And yet, Terry was just really charming, and the anime OVAs that focused on him did a lot to endear him to me. He was still a heroic guy, honorable and a brave, but he had a sense of humor to him, a relaxed attitude and he tried to enjoy life when he wasn't saving the world. In some ways he reminds me of what Iron Fist became more like once he dropped the whole "angry vengeance seeker" thing, becoming a bit more zen in the sense of being spiritual and honorable, but also relaxed and happy (at least until "The Living Weapon" series).

One thing I also thought was kind of neat about Terry was that he was definitely not a classically trained martial artist. While his father and his father's master had taught the boys the basic of chi manipulation and a foundation of martial arts, Terry basically learned how to fight by spending a decade challenging other fighters, getting his ass kicked, learning from his mistakes/improving himself, and then coming back later and defeating the guy who beat him up originally. He basically became one of the top fighters in his world, developed his own chi techniques, and defeated several of the most dangerous men on the planet through sheer tenacity and adaptability.

His fighting style should honestly resemble some combo of Captain America and Ken Masters. Steve's fighting style has often been described as something like "Acrobatic Judo Boxing", which is one way to say that while he can do most things you see a martial artist do (punch, kick, pressure points, nerve clusters, judo throws), his style is very "no frills", not worrying about flow, advanced techniques, chi or anything like that. Meanwhile Ken's style is grounded in the more "mystical" side of martial arts, but his tendency to show off has made his movies "flashier", more energetic, etc.

So Terry's would have that sort of "basic but flexible" form of Cap's, but be very flashy and exaggerated due to his personality. Normal people would think it looks awesome, trained martial artists would say it looks ugly, but gets the job done.

It kind of reminds me of Samurai Champloo, where Terry would be Mugen while Ryu would be Jin. Ryu is the refined, focused, classically trained martial artist, Terry is the more wild, anything goes adaptive brawler, but if they were to fight, it could go either way, because both men are just that damn good.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
danelsan

Post by danelsan »

Terry is also among my favorites from SNK. If I were to explain his fighting style in a few words, I guess "god of bar fighting" would do XD

Kind of a shame King of Fighters focuses so much on Kyo, as I find his personality annoying and, as is common in KoF, he looks more like a model or boyband member than a supreme elite fighter. Though I'm being a hypocrite here, since I really like Rock Howard - of course, having awesome rub off on you from both Terry and Geese counts for a lot haha

I still hold out hope that one day there will be a Mark of the Wolves II ...

By the way, the recent animated CG series "King of Fighters: Destiny" seems pretty good so far, I'd recommend any fans familiar with the KoF gang to check it out.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

danelsan wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:31 am Terry is also among my favorites from SNK. If I were to explain his fighting style in a few words, I guess "god of bar fighting" would do XD
Well . . . sure, you could describe it like that. If you want to take all the fun out of it. Not bore people with these long-winded rambles. :oops:
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Damn, you're posting these at crazy speeds, Thorp! And all the big-name characters, too! It's only schmucks like me who stat up Ermac and Rain :).

Ryu & Ken were always interesting to me, because they actually fight very differently. Ken seems to appeal to spammers for some reason- guys who hammer out Hurricane Kicks & Dragon Punches ad nauseum, while Ryu was a more careful, countering kind of fighter. I found this with both the computer AND player opponents- fighting against Computer-Ken was a study in frustration- the guy NEVER STOPPED!
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Liu Kang is a weird one, because he's sort of a "typical hero" in these types of games, but they go in odd ways with him. The MK series wanted to do away with him at one point, hence his "Zombie Kang" bits in other places- I get the impression they found him a bit dull and generic, and wanted to focus on the crazier, more fun types like Cage & Sonya... even though they once deemed them so unnecessary that they dumped those characters from the sequels! I also find it funny that the plot of the games essentially becomes pointless after a while- they win Mortal Kombat, so the day is saved... except the bad guys cheat and bring them into Outworld anyways. And then when they win AGAIN, the heroes... find Earth destroyed because the bad guys cheated AGAIN. After a point, you begin to think the game is stacked against the good guys.

I don't remember Liu's Dragon Kick all that well. What was that?

And he's probably one of the few Video Game Heroes created by Western creators who's not actually white OR a westerner. Kind of interesting.

Hey, did anyone ever read the Mortal Kombat novel? I remember the opening bits quite well- it started off with a ton of chapters on the olden times, when Goro finally killed Kung Lao's ancestor to become the Grand Champion of Mortal Kombat. I remember almost nothing else, other than the occasional bit about how guys would age periodically until they won the tournament.
Thorpocalypse

285 - Jago

Post by Thorpocalypse »

We're continuing with our Fighting Game Heroes as we add another new item to our Killer Instinct line! Check it out on Aisle 9!

I'm afraid your path ends here. - Jago

JAGO
PL10

OPL: 10; DPL: 10; HP: 2
Height: 5-10
Weight: 205
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Black
Race: Human
Identity: Public
Alignment: Hero
Base of Operations: Shaolin Temple
Team Affiliations: Shaolin Monks; Disavowed

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 3, STAMINA 4, AGILITY 5, DEXTERITY 4, FIGHTING 12, INTELLECT 1, AWARENESS 2, PRESENCE 1

SKILLS: Acrobatics 6 (+11), Athletics 7 (+10), Close Combat [Unarmed] 2 (+16), Deception (+1), Expertise [Theology and Philosophy] 4 (+5), Insight (+2), Intimidation (+1), Perception 5 (+7), Persuasion (+1), Ranged Combat [Endoduken] 7 (+11), Stealth 5 (+10)

ADVANTAGES: Close Attack (2), Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll (2), Equipment (1), Extraordinary Effort, Improved Defense, Improved Initiative (1), Improved Trip, Languages (1) (English, 1 other, Base: Mandarin), Move-by Action, Power Attack (3), Quick Draw, Takedown (1)

POWERS:
Instinct Array: 9 pt Array; 10 pts
Endokuken!: Ranged Mystic Damage 5 (Flaw: Diminished Range [10/25/50]); 9 pts
Ultimate Combo!: Multiattack Slashing Strength-Damage 4 (Extra: Dangerous 2, Flaw: Easily Removable [Requires Kora], Inaccurate, Unreliable [5 uses]); 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
(5 pts)
Kora: Slashing Strength-Based Damage 2, Dangerous; 3 pts

OFFENSE:
Initiative +9
Close Attack +14 [Kora +5, Critical 19-20]
Ultimate Combo! +12 [Ultimate Combo +7, Critical 18-20, Multiattack]
Unarmed +16 [Unarmed +3]
Ranged Attack +
Blast +11 [Endoduken +5]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +13 [DC23] Parry +13 [DC23]
Toughness +6 (+4 without Defensive Roll), Fortitude +7, Will +6

COMPLICATIONS:
Honor: Being a Shaolin monk, he holds to a high standard of honor.
Motivation: Seeking battle to help him purge the darkness of the evil Tiger Spirit within him.
Relationships: With his sister, Orchid.
Rivalry: With Fulgore.

Abilities 64 + Skills 18 (36 ranks) + Advantages 17 + Powers 10 + Defenses 16 = 125 / 125

Build Comments: Keeping with my current run of "The Ryu's" of the fighting game genre, Jago is the Ryu/Liu Kang of Killer Instinct. A mysterious warrior monk, he is driven to drive out evil in the world and purge the darkness within him through combat. Sounds familiar…

Killer Instinct as a game seems to be more button mashy, like Tekken or Soul Calibur, so I didn’t give him a lot of powers or a ton of Advnatages. The playthroughs I watched showed him to be kinda bullish, so I figure a PL9.5 attack and defense should cover it as far as him being close to top tier in KI.

Secret Origins: Found abandoned as a baby at a Himalayan monastery and taken in by the Monks of the Tiger, Jago showed great promise from the start and, under the tutelage of the ancient Abbot, has swiftly become one of the Order's star pupils. During meditation he is visited by the very Tiger spirit his Order serves, which grants him great powers and Chooses him to battle the sinister evil of Ultratech. At first the power threatens to overwhelm Jago's sanity, but he soon masters it and becomes the finest warrior the Order has yet fathered. The ever-present uncertainty as to his origins, however, still troubles him.

The Story so Far: After a lifetime devoted to purity and discipline, Jago is tortured by the knowledge that the last vestiges of the evil Tiger Spirit, Gargos, remain within him. He sets forth to discover an opponent strong enough to purge Gargos’ corruption in the crucible of combat.

Characterization/Friends and Foes: Jago is a warrior-monk whose goal is to seek out other fighters and fulfill his destiny by entering the Killer Instinct tournament and destroying Ultratech. He is a quiet and stern man who, due to having spent much time in solitude, isn’t very friendly or open to quaint pleasures of the world. While most combatants fight for such things like fortune, glory, or revenge, Jago seeks the fight to gain enlightenment, both physically and spiritually. He has a hard and stoic demeanor, but knows that he must fight for the sake of all and will readily accept any help he can get from others. He has struggled much with the temptation of Gargos' power, and if he gives in to his inner demons, he knows full well he will become Shadow Jago again. His relationship with his sister, Orchid, often helps him push the darkness away, and the two have a close bond because of it.
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Thorpocalypse

286 - Jin Kazama

Post by Thorpocalypse »

We've got a complicated piece of our current run hitting the Aisle 9 shelves as we add to our Tekken line!

The Mishima bloodline ends here. - Jin Kazama

JIN KAZAMA
PL10

OPL: 10; DPL: 10; HP: 2
Height: 5-11
Weight: 175
Base of Operations: Tokyo, Japan
Team Affiliations: None

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 3, STAMINA 4, AGILITY 6, DEXTERITY 3, FIGHTING 13, INTELLECT 2, AWARENESS 2, PRESENCE 1

SKILLS: Acrobatics 5 (+11), Athletics 7 (+10), Close Combat [Unarmed] 2 (+16), Deception (+1), Expertise [Business] 5 (+7), Insight 5 (+7), Intimidation (+1/+9) [Startle], Perception 5 (+7), Persuasion (+1), Stealth 3 (+9), Vehicles 4 (+7)

ADVANTAGES: Accurate Attack, Benefit (2) (Wealth 2 [Independently Wealthy], Close Attack (1), Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll (2), Equipment (2), Extraordinary Effort, Improved Defense, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative (1), Instant Up, Languages (1) (English, 1 other, Base: Japanese), Luck (Improve Roll) (1), Martial Strike (1), Power Attack (3) (Demon Scissors, Flash Punch Combo, Unarmed), Takedown (1)

POWERS:
Mishima Style Karate: 5 pt Array; 6 pts
Flash Punch Combo/Electric Wind God Fist: Multiattack Strength-based Damage 2 (Extra: Dangerous 2, Variable Descriptor [Bludgeoning/Electric], Flaw: Unreliable [5 uses]); 5 pts
Demon Scissors: Bludgeoning Strength-based Damage 2 (Extra: Dangerous 2, Flaw: Distracting); 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
(10 pts)
Motorcycle: Size - M, Strength - 1, Speed - 6, Def - 10, Tough - 8; 10 pts

OFFENSE:
Initiative +10
Close Attack +14 [Demon Scissors +6, Critical 18-20; Electric Wind God Fist/Flash Punch Combo +6, Critical 18-20, Multiattack]
Unarmed +16 [Martial Strike Unarmed +4; Unarmed +3]
Ranged Attack +3

DEFENSES:
Toughness +6 (+4 without Defensive Roll), Fortitude +7, Will +7

COMPLICATIONS:
Daddy Issues: Jin never knew his father and once he did, he realized with the Devil Gene had done to him and is determined to take him out.
Dark Side: Jin has to battle against his Devil Gene in order to keep his dark side in check. If he loses control, he could wreak havoc on the world.
Relationships: He has a complicated relationship with his grandfather, Heihachi. Sometimes they work together, sometimes they are enemies. He also loves his mother, Jun, and longs to find her.

Abilities 68 + Skills 18 (36 ranks) + Advantages 21 + Powers 6 + Defenses 15 = 128 / 128

Build Comments: Jin is the current protagonist of the Tekken series. As the son Kazuya and grandson of Heihachi, he’s certainly got the pedigree for it. However, his overall backstory is complicated. Most of the series, he's the moody protagnonist. Then in Tekken 6, he pretty much becomes the bad guy, taking over the Mishima Zaibatsu and pretty much starts a world war to bring out the demon Azazel who he believes that by killing, he can rid himself and his father of the Devil Gene. He does kind of redeem himself at the end by taking out the demon, but geez, that's a pretty selfish move. Causing the deaths of thousands of innocents just to potentially get rid of something that could also do the same thing? Didn't seem like the Tekken folks thought that out if they wanted him to be the face of the series.

I think I'm going to rewrite that a bit to make it a little more palatable to me, so his backstory in the Thorpocaverse is incomplete at the moment.

Secret Origins: Jin Kazama is the son of Jun Kazama and Kazuya Mishima. Jun's intimate relationship with Kazuya grew and she became pregnant with Jin. The devil within Kazuya attempted to enter Jin while he was still in his mother's womb, but Jun managed to fight it off. Afterwards, Jun moved to a remote location in the mountains where she raised Jin and trained him in the Kazama family's self-defense fighting style.

Several years later, Jun sensed the approaching of a great evil (Ogre) and decided that it was about time she told Jin concerning his origins. She also told him that if anything were to happen to her, he should look for his grandfather, Heihachi Mishima. Jun's premonitions proved to be true, as she was attacked by Ogre four days later on Jin's 15th birthday. Hours after the chaos, Jin, who fell unconscious, then awoke amongst the rubble and began searching for his mother, with no success, enraged, Jin swore revenge. He was then taken in by Heihachi, who began to train him in Mishima-style Karate.

The Story so Far: Four years later, having mastered the Kazama and Mishima Fighting Styles, Jin then started his path as a martial artist.

More to come…

Characterization: Jin's actions and surroundings fit the mold of a quintessential "tragic hero". As with many tragedies, all of the major traumatic events that occur within the hero's life are beyond his control:

First and foremost, there's the fact that his grandfather, and father are two of the most evil and ruthless individuals who've ever lived on the face of the earth. Secondly, his mother was cruelly and abruptly taken from him while he was still a teenager. Third, he was betrayed by his grandfather, whom he trusted deeply. Fourth, the return of his great-grandfather, Jinpachi Mishima, has caused him to begin losing his internal struggle with the Devil within. Fifth, the appearance of Azazel prompts him to corrupt the Mishima Zaibatsu further just for the chance to face the beast and sacrifice himself to destroy it. Each of these occurs to a helpless and unassuming Jin, who is simply doing what he can to set things right at every turn.

It is known that Jin used to be "sweet and nice" (as described by Ling Xiaoyu and mentioned by other characters), before all the above-mentioned events happened, however after everything he went through, he seems to have lost all his human feelings.

Friends and Foes: He has a minor rivalry with Hwowrang but his biggest rivalries are with his father and grandfather.
Thorpocalypse

287 - Devil Jin

Post by Thorpocalypse »

This companion piece to our last new item is hitting the Aisle 9 shelves!

Fear the Wrath of God! - Devil Jin

DEVIL JIN
PL11

OPL: 11; DPL: 11; HP: 2
Height: 5-11
Eyes: Red
Race: Demon
Alignment: Villain
Base of Operations: Tokyo, Japan
Team Affiliations: None

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 5, STAMINA 5, AGILITY 6, DEXTERITY 4, FIGHTING 14, INTELLECT 2, AWARENESS 2, PRESENCE 3

SKILLS: Acrobatics 6 (+12), Athletics 7 (+12), Close Combat [Unarmed] 2 (+17), Deception (+1), Insight 6 (+8), Intimidation 7 (+10) [Startle], Perception 5 (+7), Persuasion (+1), Stealth 3 (+9)

ADVANTAGES: All-Out Attack, Benefit (2) (Wealth 2 [Independently Wealthy]), Close Attack (1), Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll (3), Extraordinary Effort, Improved Defense, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative (1), Instant Up, Languages (1) (English, 1 other, Base: Japanese), Power Attack (3) (Demon Scissors, Flash Punch Combo, Unarmed), Takedown (1)

POWERS:
Wings: Flight 2 (8 mph/120 ft pr; Flaw: Winged); 2 pts
Hellfire Blast: Ranged Fire Damage 6 (Extra: Accurate 5, Flaw: Diminished Range [10/25/50], Distracting); 10 pts
Mishima Style Karate: 5 pt Array; 6 pts
Flash Punch Combo/Electric Wind God Fist: Multiattack Strength-based Damage 2 (Extra: Dangerous 2, Variable Descriptor [Bludgeoning/Electric], Flaw: Unreliable [5 uses]); 5 pts
Demon Scissors: Bludgeoning Strength-based Damage 2 (Extra: Dangerous 2, Flaw: Distracting); 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +10
Close Attack +15 [Demon Scissors +7, Critical 18-20; Electric Wind God Fist/Flash Punch Combo +7, Critical 18-20, Multiattack]
Unarmed +17 [Unarmed +5]
Ranged Attack +4
Hellfire Blast +14 [Hellfire Blast +6]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +14 [DC24] Parry +14 [DC24]
Toughness +8 (+5 without Defensive Roll), Fortitude +9, Will +7

COMPLICATIONS:
Daddy Issues: Jin never knew his father and once he did, he realized with the Devil Gene had done to him and is determined to take him out.
Motivation: Devil Jin is a very malovent version of Jin, and wants to spread chaos and evil. He constantly fights Jin for control of their psyche and body.
Relationships: He has a complicated relationship with his grandfather, Heihachi. Sometimes they work together, sometimes they are enemies.

Abilities 82 + Skills 18 (36 ranks) + Advantages 18 + Powers 18 + Defenses 17 = 153 / 153

Build Comments: Unlike his father Kazuya, who has given into his Devil Gene and gets one build with an upgraded Devil Kazuya form, Jin gets a build for his normal form and a different build for his Devil Jin form. Jin and his Devil Gene are in a constant battle for control and Jin hopes to rid himself of his Devil Gene and I get the feeling that they’ll wrap up the Mishima family struggle in the next Tekken game where Jin and Kazuya will have one last battle for all the marbles. I think they’ll both die and they’ll take the series back to its roots with Lee Chaolan taking over as the new sponsor for future King of the Iron Fist tournaments. And Paul Phoenix will finally win it!
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Ares wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:14 am
danelsan wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:31 am Terry is also among my favorites from SNK. If I were to explain his fighting style in a few words, I guess "god of bar fighting" would do XD
Well . . . sure, you could describe it like that. If you want to take all the fun out of it. Not bore people with these long-winded rambles. :oops:
I gotta go with the ramble style, SNK, sorry. ;)
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:47 am Damn, you're posting these at crazy speeds, Thorp! And all the big-name characters, too! It's only schmucks like me who stat up Ermac and Rain :).
A) If you think I'm going to NOT post jobber characters like Rain, Jarek, Kobra, Dan Hibiki and the freakin' fighting kangaroo Roger Jr. from Tekken, then I will be hurt... :(
B) The speed is deceptive, but thanks for the compliment, of ye of the worse case of Compulsive Character Creation Syndrome than me. ;) I've kind of figured out my new groove since I've been remotivated. Last week I didn't post anything, spammed out about 10-12 shells after work and kid shuttling, finished and cleaned them up over the weekend when I had some free time, then started posting them this week. I've got a handful more ready to go, then I'll go back into the building shell for a few days, and then drop several more a few days later.
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:56 am Liu Kang is a weird one, because he's sort of a "typical hero" in these types of games, but they go in odd ways with him. The MK series wanted to do away with him at one point, hence his "Zombie Kang" bits in other places- I get the impression they found him a bit dull and generic, and wanted to focus on the crazier, more fun types like Cage & Sonya... even though they once deemed them so unnecessary that they dumped those characters from the sequels! I also find it funny that the plot of the games essentially becomes pointless after a while- they win Mortal Kombat, so the day is saved... except the bad guys cheat and bring them into Outworld anyways. And then when they win AGAIN, the heroes... find Earth destroyed because the bad guys cheated AGAIN. After a point, you begin to think the game is stacked against the good guys.
You'd think they'd learn something from that, but I doubt it. At the end of story mode in MKX, Kotal Kahn is seen imploring the Elder Gods to allow him to gain revenge on Earthrealm after his defeat via...MORTAL KOMBAT. And we all know full well that it will totally be on the level THIS time. :roll:
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:56 am I don't remember Liu's Dragon Kick all that well. What was that?
FINISH HIM!

There's other versions of it later games, but that's my favorite.
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:56 am Hey, did anyone ever read the Mortal Kombat novel?
What is this "read" thing you speak of? ;)
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thorpocalypse

288 - Raven

Post by Thorpocalypse »

We're adding more our items to our Fighting Game Aisle as we add this J-Mart Favorite Item from our Tekken line!

It's just business. Don't take it personally. - Raven

RAVEN
PL9

OPL: 9; DPL: 9; HP: 2
Height: 5-10
Hair: White
Identity: Secret
Base of Operations: Mobile
Team Affiliations: UN's intelligence bureau

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 3, STAMINA 4, AGILITY 6, DEXTERITY 5, FIGHTING 13, INTELLECT 2, AWARENESS 4, PRESENCE 1

SKILLS: Acrobatics 7 (+13) [Agile Feint, Up the Wall], Athletics 8 (+11), Close Combat [Unarmed] 2 (+15), Deception 5 (+6), Expertise [Ninja] 5 (+7), Insight 3 (+7), Intimidation 4 (+5), Perception 6 (+10), Persuasion (+1), Ranged Combat [Throwing] +7 (+12), Sleight of Hand 2 (+7), Stealth 7 (+13)

ADVANTAGES: Agile Feint, Benefit (1) (Status – Government Clearance), Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll (1), Equipment (2), Grabbing Finesse, Improved Defense, Improved Initiative (1), Move-by Action, Power Attack (4) (Ninjutsu Combo, Ninjato, Shuriken, Unarmed), Takedown (1), Tracking, Up the Wall*

POWERS:
Ninjutsu Array: 4 pt Array; 5 pts
Ninjutsu Combo: Multiattack Bludgeoning Strength-based Damage 2 (Extra: Dangerous 2, Flaw: Unreliable [5 uses]); 4 pts
Kick from Above: Teleport 1 (60 ft; Extra: Linked [Damage]), Bludgeoning Strength-based Damage 2 (Extra: Linked [Teleport]); 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
(10 pts)
Smoke Pellet: Enhanced Advantage 1 (Hide in Plain Sight); 1 pt
Shuriken: Ranged Multiattack Piercing Damage 1; 3 pts
Arsenal: (5 pts)
Ninjato: Slashing Strength-Based Damage 2, Dangerous, Feature 1 (Multi-Purpose Tool); 4 pts
Ninja Knives: Piercing Strength-Based Damage 2, Dangerous, Double; 1 pt

OFFENSE:
Initiative +10
Close Attack +13 [Ninja Knives +5, Critical 19-20; Teleport Kick +5; Ninjutsu Combo +5, Critical 18-20, Multiattack]
Unarmed +15 [Unarmed +3]
Ranged Attack +5
Throwing +12 [Shuriken +1, Multiattack]]

DEFENSES:
Toughness +5 (+4 without Defensive Roll), Fortitude +7, Will +7

COMPLICATIONS:
Motivation: Fulfilling his missions.
Secret Identity: None one seems to know anything about Raven other than who he works for, but nothing about his true motivations, real name, extent of his abilities, etc.

Abilities 76 + Skills 28 (56 ranks) + Advantages 17 + Powers 5 + Defenses 13 = 139 / 139

Build Comments: Raven is a cool as sh*t. Apparently someone developing Tekken had been binge watching Wesley Snipes movies and said “I got a new character idea!”. And then they went about making sure it looked enough like him to get people to go “uh, that looks like…” but not close enough to where Snipes could be like “I’m suing to get back some of the money I lost by being jail for tax evasion, bitches!”

Raven has a great look overall, though, and quickly became one of the most popular characters in the series. I am planning on a more Earth-217 type version as well since he would fit well in my ninja-verse.

Secret Origins/The Story so Far/Characterization: An international intelligence agent considered highly skilled and iron-hearted, codename Raven. Apart from a scar in the shape of an "X" on his face, his details, including age and nationality, are unknown. Raven entered the fifth tournament to find out who or what was behind the event.

After The King of Iron Fist Tournament 5, Raven encounters Heihachi Mishima, who was presumed to be dead... They began to fight. Before a winner could be decided, Raven received orders to return to headquarters, and he had to withdraw from battle.

After that encounter, the battle between both the Mishima Zaibatsu and G-Corporation intensified. In order to prevent any further losses, Raven is sent to investigate the Mishima Zaibatsu once again via The King of Iron Fist Tournament 6. After the tournament, Raven begins following Lars. He then single-handedly defeats NANCY-MI847J, telling Lars that he has a greater purpose. After Lars was betrayed by Alisa, he accompanies him moving forward. He and Lars defeat the beast known as Azazel, then defeat Alisa and finally, beat Jin before finally learning of his master plan. Then Jin kills Gold Azazel for good.

Sometime later, Raven and his colleagues have found Jin's body lying in a heap of sand. The devil tattoo was still present on Jin's arm, suggesting that he is still alive and that killing Azazel didn't save Jin from his devil gene curse.
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: J-Mart: FIGHT! Ryu, Ken, Liu Kang, Terry Bogard, Andy Bogard, Jago, Jin/Devil Jin, Raven

Post by Jabroniville »

AGH! So much stuff! Hard to keep up!

JAGO: Decent, if generic, ninja design. I always thought "Chief Thunder" was supposed to be the main protagonist, ever since Game Players Magazine featured this HUGE shot of him on one of their comics, making Killer Instinct look like the greatest game of all time. Turns out Thunder was kind of forgotten, sadly.

JIN KAZAMA: This is always a weird one for me. Tekken was never really "my" game, because GamePlayers hyped Toshinden as the "Killer App" over it. But then I got REALLY into Tekken 2, and found it a better, more well-rounded game than Toshinden 2 was. Kazuya as the final boss seemed pretty cool since he was a "regular guy" in the first game (I copied this with one of my "Video Game Ideas"), and Heihachi was a bad-ass character with a Flying Powerbomb. Jun Kazama was basically the Perfect Woman to me during a specific, anime-obsessed time period- an Ultra-Nice Girl who was Japanese and demure! So looking up Tekken 3 (I never played any game after the second), I was surprised to find out that she'd slept with KAZUYA for some reason, birthing this J-Idol character. Jin seemed like The Hero at first, but he kept amping up the "Bad-Boy" traits until he was pretty much like Evil Ryu at some point.

THE BOGARDS: I find these two funny, because they more or less disappeared from the ranks of major SNK characters as soon as Kyo showed up- they haven't had any story differences in ages, though Terry was at least in Garou: Mark of the Wolf, with a pretty decent modern upgrade. Curious how so many SNK heroes are just "guys in street clothes".
Ares
Site Admin

Re: J-Mart: FIGHT! Ryu, Ken, Liu Kang, Terry Bogard, Andy Bogard, Jago, Jin/Devil Jin, Raven

Post by Ares »

Like I've said, it was kind of funny to me that it felt like the majority of people for "Street Fighter" (implying a random fight on the streets) are dressed in formal martial arts attire and tournament clothing, while the people for "King of Fighters" (an official martial arts tournament) mostly look like they just walked off of the streets.

Thorpocalypse

Baraka (with Tarkata): Earth-FG, Earth-T1

Post by Thorpocalypse »

We're adding some more villains to our fighting game aisle as we add this new item for Mortal Kombat line!

Shao Kahn conquered my realm. I owe him my loyalty; I honor his will. - Baraka

BARAKA
PL8

OPL: 8; SPL: -; DPL: 8; FWPL: 5; HP: 2
Height: 6-5
Weight: 280
Eyes: Red
Hair: None
Skin: Olive
Race: Tarkatan
Okkupation: Criminal; Mercenary
Base of Operations: Outworld
Team Affiliations: Outworld Warriors

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 4, STAMINA 5, AGILITY 3, DEXTERITY 2, FIGHTING 12, INTELLEKT -1, AWARENESS 1, PRESENCE -2

SKILLS: Acrobatiks 7 (+10), Athletiks 7 (+11), Klose Kombat [Unarmed] 2 (+12), Deception (-2), Expertise [Survival] 4 (+5), Insight (+1), Intimidation 11 (+9) [Startle], Perception 2 (+3), Persuasion (-1), Ranged Combat [Flying Shard] 8 (+10), Stealth 6 (+9)

ADVANTAGES: All-Out Attakk, Defensive Roll (1), Improved Initiative (1), Improved Kritikal (1) (Tarkatan Blades), Languages (1) (English, 1 other, Base: Tarkatan), Power Attakk (3) (Blade Spin, Tarkatan Blades, Unarmed), Startle, Takedown (2)

POWERS:
Tarkata Physiology: Senses 4 (Low-light Vision, Scent [Akute, Tracking]), Immunity 1 (Aging), Regeneration 1 (1/every 9 rounds); 6 pts
Tarkatan Blades: 6 pt Array; 8 pts
Blade Strike: Slashing/Piercing Strength-based Damage 2 (Extra: Breaking, Dangerous, Split, Variable Descriptor [Slashing/Piercing); 6 pts
Blade Spin: Multiattack Slashing/Piercing Strength-based Damage 2 (Extra: Breaking, Dangerous, Variable Deskriptor [Slashing/Piercing], Flaw: Activation [Move Action], Distrakting); 1 pt
Flying Shard: Ranged Piercing Damage 5 (Flaw: Diminished Range [10/25/50], Distrakting); 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +7
Klose Attakk +10 [Tarkatan Blades +6, Kritikal 18-20; Blade Spin +6, Kritikal 18-20, Multiattack]
Unarmed +12 [Unarmed +4]
Ranged Attakk +2
Flying Shard +10 [Flying Shard +5]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +10 [DC20] Parry +10 [DC20]
Toughness +6 (+5 without Defensive Roll), Fortitude +7, Will +3

KOMPLIKATIONS:
Motivation: Murder and havoc.
Temper: Baraka's bloodlust can overtake him at times causing him lose focus and make tactical mistakes.

Abilities 44 + Skills 24 (48 ranks) + Advantages 9 + Powers 14 + Defenses 11 = 102 / 102

Build Comments: I always liked Baraka’s look. A Nosferatu lookin’ dude with arm blades is a neat concept. He got taken out pretty definitively by Dvorah in MKX and even though he is fun to play with and can be pretty effective, overall, he’s kinda been jobbery for the most part so he gets stepped down a bit in this run.

Secret Origins: Baraka belongs to a race of nomadic mutants, known as the Tarkata, a crossbreed between vile Netherrealm demons and denizens of Outworld, apparently populating the vast wastelands of Outworld. Like most members of his race, Baraka possesses long blades extending from his forearms.

The Story so Far: In the events leading up to the second Mortal Kombat tournament, Baraka led the attack on the Shaolin temple in Earthrealm, which spurred Liu Kang to seek vengeance in Outworld as predicted by Shao Kahn. After Shao Khan was defeated, Baraka disappeared. He would later re-emerge in time for the 3rd Mortal Kombat tourney. After this, Baraka had once again escaped and spent time traveling alone.

In his travels, Baraka encountered the sorcerer Quan Chi while wandering through Edenia. Quan Chi offered Baraka a chance to rule the realm at his side if he agreed to join the army of Shinnok. Eager for battle, he readily accepted. Once again Baraka planned to betray his new masters, but after Shinnok was utterly defeated, his opportunity was also lost once again. Baraka had gone to warn Quan Chi that Shinnok had been defeated, Quan Chi pretended that he had master minded the events. He had then seemingly killed Baraka.

But later, Baraka formed an alliance to the risen Dragon King, Onaga, in whose strength he had great faith. When Baraka agreed to follow Onaga, the remainder of the Tarkatan race did so too. Baraka freed Mileena from her prison and recruited her to Onaga's ranks to pose as Princess Kitana. Kitana used this position to misdirect the Edenian forces into combat against the Tarkatan raiding parties well away from Onaga to give the Dragon King the time he needed to complete his schemes.

Characterization: Baraka is a mean, unforgiving, and unpredictable opponent but a loyal warrior who, like his people have always done, serves the most powerful leader, who in their Outworld is Shao Kahn.

Friends and Foes: He has hordes of Tarkata warriors he can call on and as a loyal warrior, he fights for those whom he calls "master". Although he has had numerous incursions with the Earthrealm warriors, he appears not to have any particular rivalry or hatred towards Earth or its inhabitants.

TARKATA
PL5

OPL: 5; DPL: 5; HP: 0

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 3, STAMINA 4, AGILITY 3, DEXTERITY 0, FIGHTING 5, INTELLEKT -1, AWARENESS 0, PRESENCE -1

SKILLS: Acrobatiks 2 (+5), Athletiks 4 (+7), Deception (-1), Expertise [Survival] 4 (+3), Intimidation 7 (+6), Perception 3 (+3), Persuasion (-1), Ranged Kombat [Blast] 4 (+4), Stealth 2 (+5)

ADVANTAGES: Languages (1) (English, 1 other, Base: Tarkatan)

POWERS:
Tarkatan Physiology: Senses 4 (Low-light Vision, Scent [Akute, Tracking]), Immunity 1 (Aging), Regeneration 1 (1/every 9 rounds); 6 pts
Tarkatan Blades: 6 pt Array; 7 pts
Blade Strike: Slashing/Piercing Strength-based Damage 2 (Extra: Breaking, Dangerous, Split, Variable Deskriptor [Slashing/Piercing); 6 pts
Flying Shard: Ranged Piercing Damage 4 (Flaw: Unreliable); 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +3
Klose Attakk +5 [Unarmed +3; Tarkatan Blades +5, Kritikal 19-20]
Ranged Attakk +0
Blast +4 [Flying Shard +4]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +4 [DC14] Parry +5 [DC15]
Toughness +4, Fortitude +4, Will +2

KOMPLIKATIONS:
Motivation: Murder and havoc.

Abilities 26 + Skills 13 (26 ranks) + Advantages 1 + Powers 13 + Defenses 3 = 56 / 56
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thorpocalypse

291 - Reptile

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Another villainous new item hits the Aisle 9 shelves as we add more to our Mortal Kombat line!

I am Reptile, and I do not answer to you. FIGHT! - Reptile

REPTILE
PL8

OPL: 8; DPL: 8; HP: 2
Height: 6-0
Weight: 183
Eyes: Yellow
Race: Saurian
Okkupation: Warrior; Mercenary
Base of Operations: Outworld
Team Affiliations: Outworld Warriors

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 3, STAMINA 4, AGILITY 6, DEXTERITY 4, FIGHTING 11, INTELLEKT -1, AWARENESS 1, PRESENCE -1

SKILLS: Akrobatiks 6 (+12), Athletiks 6 (+9), Klose Kombat [Unarmed] 1 (+13), Deception 5 (+4), Insight (+1), Intimidation 7 (+6), Perception 3 (+4), Persuasion (+0), Stealth 6 (+12)

ADVANTAGES: All-Out Attakk, Chokehold, Defensive Attakk, Defensive Roll (1), Fast Grab, Improved Defense, Improved Initiative (1), Klose Attakk (1), Languages (1) (English, 1 other, Base: Saurian), Move-by Aktion, Power Attack (3) (Klaws, Running Serpent, Unarmed), Ranged Attakk (7), Takedown (1), Tracking

POWERS:
Saurian Physiology: Immunity 3 (Aging, Disease, Heat), Leaping 1 (15 ft), Movement 1 (Wall Krawling [Speed rank -1]); 6 pts
Klaws: Slashing Strength-based Damage 0 (Extra: Breaking, Split); 2 pts
Tongue: Extra Limb 1 (Prehensile Tongue), Elongation 1 (15 ft; Flaw: limited to tongue), Enhanced Advantages 1 (Fast Grab); 3 pts
Kombat Array: 11 pt Array; 14 pts
Acid Spit: Ranged Acid Damage 4 (Extra: Secondary Effekt, Flaw: Diminished Range [10/25/50]); 11 pts
Khameleon: Koncealment 2 (Visual; Flaw: Unreliable [being hit with attakk ends effekt]); 1 pt
Running Serpent: Slashing Strength-based Damage 1 (Extra: Linked [Speed]), Speed 2 (8 mph/120 fpr; Flaw: Limited to short bursts)
Force Ball: Move Objekt 5 (Extra: Damaging, Flaw: Diminished Range [10/25/50], Limited to moving towards Reptile, Distrakting); 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +10
Close Attakk +12 [Running Serpent +4]
Unarmed +13 [Unarmed +3; Klaws +3]
Ranged Attakk +11 [Acid Spit +4; Force Ball Move Objekt +5]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +11 [DC21] Parry +11 [DC21]
Toughness +4 (+5 without Defensive Roll), Fortitude +6, Will +4

KOMPLIKATIONS:
Obsession: Reptile's motivations lie in the restoration of the Saurian race.
Responsibility: To Shao Kahn, in exchange for him fulfilling his bargain to help restore the Saurian race.

Abilities 54 + Skills 17 (33 ranks) + Advantages 20 + Powers 25 + Defenses 10 = 126 / 126

Build Comments: Reptile kinda sucked at first, basically being a palette swap of Scorpion or Sub-Zero, but he got better as the series went along. I still hardly ever played him, though, then, recently I gave him a go. Got my ass kicked, but still, getting to turn invisible was cool.

As a character, he’s pretty one note and in the story modes, he rarely has an impact so he gets knocked down to PL8 this go-around but he can still give a lot of the bigger names fits with his Acid Spray and the aforementioned Concealment effect.

Secret Origins: Reptile is a member of a reptilian race called Raptors, who were pulled into Outworld and enslaved by Shao Kahn before he all but eradicated them. Promised the revival of his people in turn for his loyalty, Reptile served Kahn as Shang Tsung's bodyguard.

The Story so Far: Ordered to kill Kitana during the events of the 3rd Mortal Kombat tourney, he was defeated and exiled, but reappeared in the next tourney as Shinnok's minion. Later, he returned to Kahn's service. He overheard Shang Tsung plotting to kill Kahn, but en route to warn his master, he met a female vampire who offered knowledge of his race.

Reptile pledged his loyalties to her, though eventually realized she is merely using him and set out to kill her. Instead of the vampire he found Onaga's dragon egg instead, which transformed Reptile into Onaga's avatar, leading to a major conflict and ending with his defeat. Separated from Onaga as a result, Reptile returned and reappeared in the Red Dragon lair commanding Daegon's dragon Caro to close the portal but refused. Taven battled Reptile in combat and emerges victorious.

Reptile returned to Shao Kahn’s service and appears to have found more of his people that he is preparing to go to war for his master.

Characterization: Reptile is a crafty combatant.

Friends and Foes: Reptile is loyal to Shao Kahn.
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thorpocalypse

292 - Riptor

Post by Thorpocalypse »

We've got a new addition to our Killer Instinct line as the we add more fighting game items to Aisle 9!

If you're lucky, you might actually see her before she begins to eat you. - Ultratech Riptor Guide

RIPTOR
PL8

OPL: 8; DPL: 8; HP: 1
Height: 7-0
Weight: 700
Eyes: Yellow
Race: Human Raptor Hybrid
Base of Operations: Ultratech
Team Affiliations: Ultratech

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 4, STAMINA 5, AGILITY 4, DEXTERITY 0, FIGHTING 10, INTELLECT -2, AWARENESS 2, PRESENCE -2

SKILLS: Athletics 5 (+9), Deception (-2), Expertise [Tactics] 7(+5), Insight (+2), Intimidation 7 (+5) [Startle], Perception 3 (+5), Persuasion (-2), Ranged Combat [Fire Breath] 9 (+9), Stealth 3 (+7)

ADVANTAGES: All-Out Attack, Close Attack (2), Fearless, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative (2), Improved Trip, Power Attack (2) (Claws, Unarmed), Startle, Sweeping Strike*, Takedown (1)

POWERS:
Raptor Senses: Senses 3 (Low-light Vision, Scent [Acute, Ranged]); 3 pts
Tail: Extra Limbs 1 (Tail); 1 pt
Raptor Speed: Speed 2 (8 mph/120 ft pr); 2 pts
Pouncing: Leaping 1 (15 ft); 1 pt
Claws: Slashing Strength-based Damage 1 (Extra: Dangerous, Double); 3 pt
Instinct Array: 9 pt Array; 10 pts
Fire Breath: Ranged Fire Damage 5 (Flaw: Diminished Range [10/25/50]); 9 pts
Ultra Combo!: Multiattack Slashing Strength-based Damage 3 (Extra: Dangerous 2, Flaw: Inaccurate, Unreliable [5 uses]); 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +8
Close Attack +11 [Unarmed +4; Claws +5, Critical 19-20]
Ultra Combo! +9 [Ultra Combo Claw Attack +7, Critical 18-20, Multiattack]
Ranged Attack +0
Fire Breath +9 [Fire Breath +5]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +9 [DC19] Parry +10 [DC20]
Toughness +6 (+6 without Defensive Roll), Fortitude +7, Will +3

COMPLICATIONS:
Motivation: Riptor is driven by her primal instincts.
Responsibility: To Ultratech.

Abilities 42 + Skills 17 (34 ranks) + Advantages 11 + Powers 20 + Defenses 8 = 98 / 98

Build Comments: Riptor is a human-velociraptor hybrid created by Ultratech. Again, gotta love the 90’s. In the 2013 reboot, it’s determined that she’s a female because in her story, she lays a bunch of eggs so soon there will be a crap ton of Riptors running around, which will be AWESOME.

As a build, I put her at PL8 because of the potential for me to throw a bunch of Riptors at an unsuspecting group of heroes, plus, I was not that impressed with the playthroughs that I watched. But my favorite thing about her is that she can breathe fire, which has always been one of my favorite things about velociraptors and so many movies and games miss that fact. Finally, someone gets it right.

Secret Origins/Story so Far: Ultratech doesn’t always look forwards to find the solutions to future military development. Sometimes, they look to the past. So it was with the Riptor project.

A competing combat contract project with the Fulgore line and the Cinder initiative, brilliant Ultratech genetic engineer Dr. Erin Gupte saw a better path to follow. She thought that Fulgore’s maintenance and lack of ability to adapt to radically different hostile environments would create a nightmare for upkeep and result in a prohibitively expensive machine. At the same time, she saw the Cinder initiative as pure R&D with years before any interesting developments could be realized. She believed that a creature built on a ruthless adaptable predator and augmented and constrained by modern technology would result in the ideal combat platform. It could rely on its own victims for sustainment, and could maneuver and infiltrate in areas that the Fulgore line would never be able to function; Riptor couldn’t be jammed or hacked, stopped by weather, or be disabled by a grain of sand in an intake. Nor would it take a decade of research to decode the alien technologies the Cinder initiative toyed with.

The first batch of Riptor units were vicious, and even with cybernetic augmentation and programming, were completely uncontrollable. No amount of shock, drugs, or control systems would contain them, and they would tear anything it saw apart in moments, making it impossible for them to work as a coordinated team as planned.

Digging into the problem, and amidst the pressures from Utratech leadership for results, Erin theorized that all her creations had no upbringing, no parenting, only genetic memories to kill that she could not overwrite; they came into the world fully ready to fight, and without any other upbringing to guide them, that’s exactly what they did.

She destroyed the initial batch of Riptor assets and began work on a new batch, augmenting the creatures even further than the originals. Borrowing cast-off technology from the Fulgore project, Erin began using her own mind as a training tool for her new creations, simulating upbringing through her own directed thoughts, guiding the creatures into understanding that there was a place for family, and the idea of a pack…
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.