Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (The Tall Man! Leatherface! Michael Myers! Pumpkinhead!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Scots Dragon wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:46 am I might stick around and try to avoid political discussions then, albeit with the note that when/if I start up my build thread that I probably won't refrain from talking about the Marxist themes inherent in the character of Superman, at least during the Golden Age. Though I'll try to keep it to 'hey, it's interesting how these characters reflect certain values and outlooks'.
Superman as a Marxist parable? THAT sounds interesting as an argument, at least :).

I'm fine with political chatter when it's relevant, such as when I post highly political shows (King of the Hill, The Simpsons, Captain Planet, South Park, etc.), but I tire of it pretty quickly when it's not part of what's currently being posted... and even when it IS relevant. People are quite intractable and resolute when it gets brought up, which is why it's usually banned as a matter of politeness at parties :).

Now, when I do the "Marvel Gods" set, then get to JaneThor? THAT will be a relevant argument about modern politics in the comic book industry :). But only then.

This place has a largely conservative reader-base, oddly enough. There's lefties like Greycrusader, I'm more of a Center-Left type, a handful are a bit liberal, and then it's a bunch of Conservative types. I always found that interesting. But yeah, political chatter on here will have a tendency to lean heavily towards the right in the way that conversation on Ronin Army leaned towards the left. Something to keep in mind.

Political stuff is fine in the "Debates" section of the forum, though it doesn't get used very often, since I think most of us know each other pretty well at this point.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (M.Myers! Pumpkinhead! Chucky! Jason! Ghostface!

Post by Jabroniville »

I find it interesting that most of the guys here are statting up as PL 8 in their "Movie Versions". I did so deliberately for guys like Jason & Myers, but it's almost universal for the Slasher Villains. I guess it just fits the genre (the heroes have no chance... unless they're armed).
Scots Dragon

Post by Scots Dragon »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:56 am This place has a largely conservative reader-base, oddly enough. There's lefties like Greycrusader, I'm more of a Center-Left type, a handful are a bit liberal, and then it's a bunch of Conservative types. I always found that interesting. But yeah, political chatter on here will have a tendency to lean heavily towards the right in the way that conversation on Ronin Army leaned towards the left. Something to keep in mind.

Political stuff is fine in the "Debates" section of the forum, though it doesn't get used very often, since I think most of us know each other pretty well at this point.
I wasn't joking when I described myself as an anarcho-communist, with perhaps anarcho-syndicalism or autonomism being a good specific term, so I may well be the most far-left person on the site. Honestly the RoninArmy forums still leaned pretty right-wing compared to me.
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:02 am I find it interesting that most of the guys here are statting up as PL 8 in their "Movie Versions". I did so deliberately for guys like Jason & Myers, but it's almost universal for the Slasher Villains. I guess it just fits the genre (the heroes have no chance... unless they're armed).
The horror genre is a good example of relative power. The 'heroes', increasingly a vague term given how many of them are portrayed as being kinda not very nice people who we have trouble caring about (this is why so many recent horror films suck), are often unarmed and defenceless. But when a well-armed hero turns up, the issue turns around pretty quickly, especially in the case of multiple monsters.

See for instance the entirety of the Evil Dead franchise.
Formerly known as Narsil on the ATT and Ronin Army forums.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Scots Dragon wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:09 am
The horror genre is a good example of relative power. The 'heroes', increasingly a vague term given how many of them are portrayed as being kinda not very nice people who we have trouble caring about (this is why so many recent horror films suck), are often unarmed and defenceless. But when a well-armed hero turns up, the issue turns around pretty quickly, especially in the case of multiple monsters.
Can we please stop with the thinly veiled references to 'kill whitey'?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Scots Dragon

Post by Scots Dragon »

Spectrum wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:48 pm
Scots Dragon wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:09 am
Can we please stop with the thinly veiled references to 'kill whitey'?
Uh, what?

The main point was a musing on the horror genre in general in general. The point being made is that if the heroes are adequately able to defend themselves, then it's less scary, but usually a hero who has access to some more genuine weapons can usually present a far more effective front against the villains, with the main stand-out I had on my mind there being Evil Dead. Which is what results in sometimes surprisingly low-level antagonists in the horror genre despite the fact that they're presented as somewhat unstoppable, with them basically being pretty much just cannon fodder if we were to put them into a superhero setting, hence my use of the term 'relative power'.

My aside was talking mostly about how many recent horror films, especially slasher films, have had a tendency to make the victims into less-than-sympathetic people so that we're actually cheering on the 'villain' of the piece.

How could you possibly have gotten 'kill whitey' from that?
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Please don't treat me like I'm stupid.

It's a very narrow jump from your rants about how horrible the white patriarchy is to how the common man (not sis white males) need to take up arms against the monster (white patriarchy) and only by that way can they be overthrown.
Scots Dragon

Post by Scots Dragon »

Spectrum wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:20 pm Please don't treat me like I'm stupid.

It's a very narrow jump from your rants about how horrible the white patriarchy is to how the common man (not sis white males) need to take up arms against the monster (white patriarchy) and only by that way can they be overthrown.
I was talking about a quirk of power levels in horror movies. It's really not that deep, man.

If I wanted to talk about the political implications of this stuff, I would actually talk about the political implications, and honestly there really aren't that many in specific terms for this quirk because it's an extremely broad concept spread across multiple works and creators. I could maybe talk about specific examples, but honestly sometimes there aren't even specific political implications worth reading there all that often since it instead links into literary implications and heroes being triumphant over adversity.

I could maybe talk about the parallels and differences with classical literature that involves heroes battling monsters, since my academic background is in literature. It'd actually be really interesting to talk about Beowulf as an evolutionary predecessor to this stuff, what with the monster Grendel stalking and killing various people and a the eponymous having to be brought in to slay him. Though in general it's more of a predecessor to what we'd see as the sword-and-sorcery fantasy genre, with Tolkien making lots of references.
danelsan

Post by danelsan »

Spectrum wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:20 pm Please don't treat me like I'm stupid.

That seems more like a gigantic leap to me.
Scots Dragon

Post by Scots Dragon »

danelsan wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:47 pm That seems more like a gigantic leap to me.

Well this guy is the originator of the genre most commonly discussed on these forums, so giant leaps are kinda fitting in a way.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

SD- That's a pretty clever reference.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Okay, now this IS my mod voice. As far as I'm concerned, no one has insulted anyone, and while its fair to debate obvious topics, its important not to read too much into statements. Lets focus on Jabs builds and not derail things any futher.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Goldar

Re: Jab's Builds! (Leatherface! M.Myers! Pumpkinhead! Chucky! Jason Voorhees!)

Post by Goldar »

HalloweenJack wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:43 pm I'd say alot stronger. and more durable.

bullets bounced off him, he may have survived reentry and he was tearing through ship hull and one shooting an android that kicked his ass
Yeah, I was thinking PL 11 for Jason X. One punch and he knocked KP's head off and was ripping open hatch doors, even surviving in the vacuum of space itself!
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

I'm sure Jab will have plenty things to talk about whenever he gets around to statting Jane-Thor and Ironheart (the latter would probably be in an Iron Man set, though), anyway.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

Scots Dragon wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:09 am The horror genre is a good example of relative power. The 'heroes', increasingly a vague term given how many of them are portrayed as being kinda not very nice people who we have trouble caring about (this is why so many recent horror films suck), are often unarmed and defenceless. But when a well-armed hero turns up, the issue turns around pretty quickly, especially in the case of multiple monsters.

See for instance the entirety of the Evil Dead franchise.
Oh my god, that reminded me of the (TWO) Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash crossover comics that came out. They're not going to go down as comic classics by any means, but they were a good mixture of funny, gross, and self-referential to be a fun read. Also, a lot of callbacks to characters that were in previous Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street movies, which was neat for us horror fans.
Formerly luketheduke86
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

YAY! Morning time! Now I can look into my thread and see if anyone's commented on horro-- oh god damn it.

(hey, remember when I demanded MILF pics any time somebody went off about politics in the thread? We should start doing that again)

YAY ANOTHER BUILD TO CHANGE THE SUBJECT!!