New Spider-Man movie

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
RUSCHE

New Spider-Man movie

Post by RUSCHE »

I watched it last night and really enjoyed it. TOM Holland's Peter Parker portrayal is in my opinion spot on. No spoilers, just enjoyed it. Thoughts?
catsi563

Re: New Spider-Man movie

Post by catsi563 »

I enjoyed it myself it was fun, had some great laughs, and some solid action.

The good: Tom Holland really nails the Peter Parker role a young kid with power who thinks hes ready for the big time but quickly learns a lesson in responsibility.

The Vulture Again Michael Keaton plays a solid role and actually does a real good if understated job. its not the classic vulture though some great nods to the original are in there.

The Easter Eggs. O M G the easter eggs, everything from the Shocker to The Scorpion to the Tinkerer, and MANY others. Even the Prowler makes an appearance, plenty of nods to the Avengers, and others, and yes It is Not IM3.5 Stark barely shows up and when he does in typical RDJ fashion he makes an impact. Betty Brant, Ned, Flash and many more.

The Bad: The Romantic subplot felt tacked on and basically nowhere near what it should have been. Romance is a part of Peters lie and while the nod again to his first love is neat it really could have been done far better then it was.

Also No JJJ Boo

The UGLY:

And by UGLY I mean UGLY Michelle J. I know they were going for a little diversity in the casting and I could have loved with that if theyd actually made her close to Mary jane Watson.

They didn't, the Director should be shot, then drawn and quartered for this casting choice and what he did to her character. She not only looks nothing like MJ no redhead BOO :x but worse shes nothing personality like MJ shes snarkyl thoroughly unlikeable, has no redeeming qualities, and worse she comes off as a Spoiled entitled elitist SJW beatch. looking down on everything and everyone and treating everyone like crap.

And this was in the Limited time she was actually ON SCREEN. For a character like Mary Jane is supposed to be having such a massive impact on Peter she is barely on screen for more then a few moments to make some absurdely snarky comment generaly be unlikeable and then vanish into irrelevancy just as quickly.

Hell her every basic interaction was worthless to the story as a whole and did a further deconstruction wait I meant Destruction of the character.

JUst to be fair I don't entirely hold Zendaya to be at fault, it really isn't she was handed trash to work with and actually made it look good for what she was asked to do.

But on the whole everyone involved with this did a terrible disservice to the franchise and worse to the MJ character.

Final thoughts.

On the whole a thoroughly enjoyable movie with a couple cringe worthy moments but all told a fun ride and worth a view in the theater for the easter eggs alone.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

catsi563 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:44 am I enjoyed it myself it was fun, had some great laughs, and some solid action.

The good: Tom Holland really nails the Peter Parker role a young kid with power who thinks hes ready for the big time but quickly learns a lesson in responsibility.

The Vulture Again Michael Keaton plays a solid role and actually does a real good if understated job. its not the classic vulture though some great nods to the original are in there.

The Easter Eggs. O M G the easter eggs, everything from the Shocker to The Scorpion to the Tinkerer, and MANY others. Even the Prowler makes an appearance, plenty of nods to the Avengers, and others, and yes It is Not IM3.5 Stark barely shows up and when he does in typical RDJ fashion he makes an impact. Betty Brant, Ned, Flash and many more.

The Bad: The Romantic subplot felt tacked on and basically nowhere near what it should have been. Romance is a part of Peters lie and while the nod again to his first love is neat it really could have been done far better then it was.

Also No JJJ Boo

The UGLY:

And by UGLY I mean UGLY Michelle J. I know they were going for a little diversity in the casting and I could have loved with that if theyd actually made her close to Mary jane Watson.

They didn't, the Director should be shot, then drawn and quartered for this casting choice and what he did to her character. She not only looks nothing like MJ no redhead BOO :x but worse shes nothing personality like MJ shes snarkyl thoroughly unlikeable, has no redeeming qualities, and worse she comes off as a Spoiled entitled elitist SJW beatch. looking down on everything and everyone and treating everyone like crap.

And this was in the Limited time she was actually ON SCREEN. For a character like Mary Jane is supposed to be having such a massive impact on Peter she is barely on screen for more then a few moments to make some absurdely snarky comment generaly be unlikeable and then vanish into irrelevancy just as quickly.

Hell her every basic interaction was worthless to the story as a whole and did a further deconstruction wait I meant Destruction of the character.

JUst to be fair I don't entirely hold Zendaya to be at fault, it really isn't she was handed trash to work with and actually made it look good for what she was asked to do.

But on the whole everyone involved with this did a terrible disservice to the franchise and worse to the MJ character.

Final thoughts.

On the whole a thoroughly enjoyable movie with a couple cringe worthy moments but all told a fun ride and worth a view in the theater for the easter eggs alone.
I understood what they were trying to do with the MJ character but I agree it was the weak link in the casting. Mr.Keaton was great.
Davies

Post by Davies »

catsi563 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:44 am

You mean how like Mary Jane in the comics came off like a party girl who only cared about having fun until she was actually called on it by Peter after Gwen's death?

I feel sorry for you, for the way you managed not to get the pretty much constant hints that Michelle cares about Peter a lot more than she's ready to admit, because ... yeah ... she's also a teenager and has a lot of growing up to do.

I give it an 8.1 out of 9.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Davies

Post by Davies »

Here's a little detail that makes one of the oddities of the film make more sense -- the principal of the school is played by the same actor who played the Japanese Howling Commando in Captain America: The First Avenger. There's a picture of said character seen in his office. Implicitly, this is the grandson of that character -- so of course he still believes in Cap, even when everyone else believes Steve to be some sort of "war criminal".
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

They went uber subtle then because I missed it entirely. they didn't even give her that fun loving quality which made her at least likeable as a party girl. I think though I could have been fine with the way they went but they also decided to literally short sheet her entire role in the film.

She was literally on less then stark was, and every single moment was basically something a completely generic character could do to the same effect.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Davies

Post by Davies »

catsi563 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:27 am They went uber subtle then because I missed it entirely. they didn't even give her that fun loving quality which made her at least likeable as a party girl. I think though I could have been fine with the way they went but they also decided to literally short sheet her entire role in the film.

She was literally on less then stark was, and every single moment was basically something a completely generic character could do to the same effect.
I'd suggest watching it again when it comes out on streaming or Bluray, and making an effort to note how much interest she shows in Peter. There's a lot going on beneath the surface of this girl.
Tomorrow

Post by Tomorrow »

catsi563 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:27 am They went uber subtle then because I missed it entirely. they didn't even give her that fun loving quality which made her at least likeable as a party girl. I think though I could have been fine with the way they went but they also decided to literally short sheet her entire role in the film.

I'm not sure it was all that subtle really. Throughout the film she is conspicuously always in Peter's proximity and directing her attention in his general direction, to the point that a few scene even have her making pretty flimsy excuses for why that is, either in response to being called out on it or in one instance spontaneously.

Edit: Of course, I'm also of the opinion that the last scene with her was telegraphing that she already knows Peter is Spider-Man too.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Tomorrow wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:56 am I'm not sure it was all that subtle really. Throughout the film she is conspicuously always in Peter's proximity and directing her attention in his general direction, to the point that a few scene even have her making pretty flimsy excuses for why that is, either in response to being called out on it or in one instance spontaneously.

Edit: Of course, I'm also of the opinion that the last scene with her was telegraphing that she already knows Peter is Spider-Man too.
Well, if she does, that's following in Mary Jane's footsteps, too.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

I really enjoyed this film. Tom Holland still perfectly captures Peter Parker. Michael Keaton does a great job as the Vulture, I loved how his crew operated and filled out the Spidey universe without being overwhelming. The side characters were interesting and definitely seemed like actual high school students. .I liked seeing Spidey wanting more, but still making mistakes that had him grow as a hero.

I will say that the whole 'MJ' thing kind of threw me because she was nothing like Mary Jane Watson personality wise. Now I still liked Michelle Jones as a character and she definitely fits in Spidey's circle/setting, but the whole 'reveal' seemed like an odd choice when they spent most the movie showing her as kind of an anti-Mary Jane.

Also nice easter egg hinting at Miles Morales being in this universe too.
Formerly luketheduke86
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

I very much enjoyed Holland's take on Spider-Man, the supporting characters, the plot, the humor, pretty much the whole movie. Except...

Wow, that character is so extremely not MJ it hurts. She's a fine character, fits in well, obviously cares for Peter... but as the new MJ, she's just so wrong.
CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

Saw the film last night and enjoyed it quite a bit. I did pick up on MJ crushing on Peter but didn't really care for her personality. Tom Holland and Michael Keaton did great jobs in their roles. Most of the supporting cast were good too. They felt important to the story and yet didn't overshadow the main characters. I liked the tie in with The Avengers at the beginning. Overall I felt the movie did an excellent job of showing Peter trying to do more than he was capable of and growing into the role of Spiderman. I liked the comment from the low level criminal in the parking garage where he tells Spiderman that he has to get better at the job. Hopefully the next film will have Peter a little older and doing an internship at the Daily Bugle.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

The creators of the film have said that MJ is not a re-invention of Mary Jane Watson, is intended to be a new and wholly original character. How they can claim this and then give her the iconic initials of Peter's wife is understandably confusing, but that's the story they're sticking with. Me personally, I found her to be the worst aspect of the film. If you're going to have a character be a gadfly to everyone, you need to make them somewhat charming, clever or entertaining in doing so, otherwise every scene with them is going to be cringe-inducing. For my part, I never found her charming, clever or entertaining, so there was definite cringe every time she was on screen. But at least we know she's not Mary Jane so . . . hope that Miss Watson will eventually show up?

I felt this was a good take on Peter, being a rookie hero with a lot of "Ultimate Spider-Man" aspects to him, but it showed some genuine growth and maturity on his part, and his decision to be a Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man for a while before joining the big leagues felt right.

I also loved that, after one superhero movie after another has the villain die, sometimes by the hero's hands, we have a hero that refuses to kill and actually goes in and saves the villain. It's sad that I have to be happy with a superhero movie where the villain doesn't die in the end, but there you go.

The villain plot of the movie was a very cool bit of world building that made total sense to me. In a world with alien invasions, killer robots and the like, someone going around looting that technology, reverse-engineering it to make super weapons and selling them on the black market makes total sense. It would be a dirt simple way to explain the rise in super-criminals, something I hope gets played with in future MCU outings.

One thing I will definitely give them credit for is using my own knowledge of the comics against me. Liz obviously had some Liz Allen aspects to her, but it never occurred to me until we get the reveal about her father that we never actually heard anyone say her last name. That kept a reveal that I likely would have seen coming in any other film a surprise.

Overall I really enjoyed the film. It hasn't supplanted my favorite MCU films (that being the 3 Captain America films and Avengers 1), but I consider it a solid MCU film, and I definitely plan on watching it again.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Davies wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:44 am I feel sorry for you, for the way you managed not to get-
Okay, this is as a poster (my Mod voice is not "on" right now), but that comes off as a mix of passive aggressive and condescending, which we can do without. Lets leave feeling sorry for someone for when they're in a position that justifies sympathy and not as a way to basically insult them for not taking away something from a film that you did.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

I see we have all taken in some different views on the film , but have also enjoyed the new energy Tom Holland seems to infused Peter Parker and Spider-Man. It holds up well with all the other MCU films(my favorite being Winter Soldier) and is a good launching point for Spidey. As a fan I know we can all have strong opinions on our favorite heroes/pop culture so I understand most views on what they did with the MJ character for and against. I will wait and see what they choose to do in the next film and hope to see some more of classic MJ with possibly a new twist or two 😀