Heroes Unlimited: The Rise of King Sphinx IC thread

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Kaisius

Re: Heroes Unlimited: The Rise of King Sphinx IC thread

Post by Kaisius »

Magus Errant
Thomas Flynn
Hp: 2 Cond: Normal

Shock wrote: "Sorry, I'm late. I guess surprise volcanic eruptions really bring out the crazies." Chris skidded to a halt just shy of the group inspecting the energy wall. "Forcefield huh?" Then he spotted the new guy with Kirk and Tony. Figuring they weren't in that much of a hurry, Chris extended his hand. "You look new. I'm Shock."
"Hmm? What's that?", Thom asked, looking first at the outstretched hand, then the newcomer's face. "Ah, yes! 'Shock', you said?", he added shaking hands warmly. "Dr. Thomas Flynn, the Magus Errant. Tell me, have you ever seen a Class 2 force effect like this before?" Taking Shock by the shoulder, Thom reaches out to lightly touch the blue energy field. Tracing an idle pattern along its surface, he continues. "A refraction index that low?!? You could breach it with a paper airplane, but for the fact it has three times the power it needs pumping through it. That's what stopping us. The emitter'll burn itself out in and hour or two, if we had the time to wait."
"I'm not a big, fat panda. I'm THE big, fat panda!" - Po, Kung Fu Panda
My Character Page
Jonathan Spectre in New FORCE Ops
Magus Errant in Heroes Unlimited
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Photon

Colin collects the blades and hands them to Prism.

"Can you read these symbols?"

While she examines them, he fires a few blasts at the dust on the ground that was their opponents.

"You really can't be to careful with undead."
Shock

Post by Shock »

Shock
HP: 3 LP: 0
Condition: Normal

Chris shrugged. "Do we ever have time to wait?"
Glyph

Post by Glyph »

Prism
HP:2

Prism looked at piles of dust that were once people she had sworn to protect. Frustration and anger still boiled in her, even as she released her focus on the blade and channeled her energies to illuminating the cavern.
kenseido wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:57 am Photon

Colin collects the blades and hands them to Prism.

"Can you read these symbols?"
"Unlikely." she replied as she took one of the blades in hand, "I am not versed in your world's writing." she said, examining the weapon and it's markings all the same for a moment. "It is not of my world. she confirmed.

She levitated a mask that had fallen nearby, and regarded it intently for a moment, staring hard at the space where it's eyes would have been while Photon blasted away at the dust.

"What is an Anubis?" She asked out loud. When she had heard the word, it had not carried any understanding or meaning to her through her gifts, which meant it was likely a name of a person, a place or a thing her own experience had no point of reference to, such as the first time she had heard the word 'pizza'.
Making the assumption that the writing is not Illuminarian.
Investigation: 1D20+4 = [4]+4 = 8
for any insights looking at the blade or mask.
To busy being angry it seems
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Hornet:
[Kirk McGlothlin]
HP: 2
LP: 2

Kirk had to admit that Binder had come up with an interesting twist on the principle of force field. He spent a several moments quietly examining the energy wall.
"Tell me, have you ever seen a Class 2 force effect like this before?" Taking Shock by the shoulder, Thom reaches out to lightly touch the blue energy field. Tracing an idle pattern along its surface, he continues. "A refraction index that low?!? You could breach it with a paper airplane, but for the fact it has three times the power it needs pumping through it. That's what stopping us. The emitter'll burn itself out in and hour or two, if we had the time to wait."
"Which is half our problem of course, and I'm sure something Binder took into consideration." Hornet answered as he continued to look over the force field.

OOC:
Technology Check: _: 1D20+16 = [4]+16 = 20, hhhmmmm nope! Gonna spend that shiny, new HP to re-roll that crap.

Re-rolled Technology Check: _: 1D20+16 = [9]+16 = 25, that'll end up being a 35 total.
Last edited by Tattooedman on Tue May 02, 2017 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Photon

"Ancient Egyptian devil," he says with a shrug. He pauses, thinking she may not get the reference entirely.

"God of the Underworld. Where the dead go."

He looks around for anything they might have missed. Maybe Elena might know someone who could give him some details on these daggers.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Photon and Prism

The dust of the former living and unloving creatures is dispersed across the cavern by Photons blast though whether I has a positive effect is unknown to any but the most adept of magi.

The green blades seem to have lost a bit of their sickly parlor and the whispers of death and draining the living are reduced to a soft sibilant hissing like a vague background breeze that ruffles leaves here and there.

The writings seem symbolic as much as anything to Prism while she understands the basics of hieroglyphics and similar written languages though she lacks the contextual and cultural understanding to decipher more then the most vague of wordings much less put them into a context of actual sentences.

the golden masks give off a similar vibe to the knives in that vague unsettling way but for the most part seem to be exactly what they appear. jackal faced masks made of some combination of gold and leather with arcane glyphs on them and the smell of something long dead coming from the masks interior face.

Colin as he looks around though gets the vaguest idea that there might be something more here. the way the chamber is set up is reminiscent of something hed read about in some journal about arcane cults, specifically the Villainous agency DEMON. Something about preparing the land for a ritual and the site being 'marked' in some way.

Further research by someone more adept in such matter would be appropriate but for now the runes and glyphs remains a mystery. However he can deduce a couple things, the markings have been here for sometime perhaps as far back as a century or more. The blood and such though is recent meaning the work of the mummies if such they were is recent within the last year.

As the two look around they hear the barely audible scrabbling of small feet as Gretchen his tiny boots barely making a sound as he runs into the cavern. He looks around a few seconds in that quirky curious manner before his yellowish eyes alight on the pair. He waves at them with a pointed toothed grin as he rushes over to Colin.

"Gretchen has message from Elena, Gretchen got it here as quick as could be, Gretchen did he did." the little goblin blurts out as he reaches into his back pouch and pulls out what looks like a handheld childs toy phone that has had various gidgets and gadgets attached to it. the little goblin whirls the dial with a pointed finger and rotates a small crank on the side, before handling the plastic red handset to Collin with a grin.

Its only at this time that Colin realizes that for some reason the earpiece he had been given from Elena has been utterly silent. Not even the vague background noise that hed become accustomed to over the last week. Perhaps too deep in the ground or something about the cavern.

Gretchens awkward looking device though works shockingly like a charm as when put to his ears he can clearly hear Elena calling his name.

"Photon you there?'" she asks the worried tone evident in her voice "Answer me please we lost contact and I haven't been able to break through whatever's interfering."

18s good enough for some basic info which well pass on here.

Then lets get you two to Hawaii to meet the team

hopefully do this without the humidity induced migraine ive been running the last week. :P

Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Hornet, Shock, and Magus

Thomas and Kirk both easily see what they're looking for as they study Binders force field. The trap is typical of the supervillain, genius in its simplicity and elegant in design and economical in power and efficiency. Completely expected from a man who was once described by Defender of the Champions in a Superhype listing of top 10 geniuses, " Who knew you could do so much with Superglue?"

The force field is incredibly powerful capable of reflecting even the most powerful of attacks and creates a barrier that crosses into the walls and floors a good fifteen feet in every direction creating an impassable obstacle, and while its power supply with burn itself out eventually whatever Binder and the Ultimates are doing will be long since completed.

Again very much in the style of Binder, delay and hinder.

Thomas fortunately as the former Archmagus is not bound by simple things like walls and doors, when one knows the sidereal paths a wall is just another thing to walk through and doors can be found anywhere one chooses to look for them.

Againa pologies for the delay gusy migraines are worlds of fun especially when brought on by the seasonal change

Tech rolls are more then sufficient

Thomas has two options one he can open a small dimensional portal and allow Hornet to bypass the field at small size and appear next to the device and use his tech skill to shut it down.

or he can use a dimensional step spell to walk them right past the force field using the mirror refracting qualities of the field to his advantage.

Both are a simple DC 15 arcane check to insure he has the right wavelengths and dimensional conenctions

If hornet goes a DC 25 tech check will easily shut down the device.

advance and proceed at your discretion gentlemen :)
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Catsi stories
Kaisius

Post by Kaisius »

Magus Errant
Thomas Flynn
Hp 2 Cond: Normal

"Right!"
, Thomas began, rubbing his hands together. "Cavern itself is ten, fifteen feet across, there's the emitter. Looks to be twenty feet back, right? Give or take?", he asked no one in particular. "That would mean it extends into the walls another, say, fifteen feet. Blasting around it'd take almost as much time as blasting through it." He paused to consider the options. In his home dimension, he could've simply sideStepped into Fifth or Sixth Harmonic to get around the barrier. The cosmology of this dimension, however, didn't support any Harmonics. I'll have to try a portal, he decided. A laser-like green glow surrounds Thomas' finger as he begins to draw a pattern in the air. As he finishes, it expands to a size large enough to walk through, showing the cave from the far side of the barrier, next to the emitter. Pleased with himself, Thomas steps through....

And faceplants, as if he'd walked into a glass door.

"The hell???", he mutters, rubbing his nose. Peering around the portal's side, he sees the exit next to emitter. Except the exit appears to only be about six inches across. Feeling around the 'surface' of the entrance he finds a 'hole' corresponding to the exit. Stretching his whole arm through, he still can't quite reach the emitter. Realizing this, he pulls back out, stands and straightens his coat. Turning to Hornet, he asks, "How small can you shrink?"
OoC wrote:I'll spend a hp and if necessary I'll write up an appropriate teleport power.
My Character Page
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Photon

"Thanks, Gretchen," Colin says as he takes the phone.

"Elena, it's Colin. We ran into some zombie and cult trouble while checking out some things down here. Looks like someone was trying to prep some big ritual, but we need someone more magically inclined for anything specific. Also, I ran into a very capable woman named Prism who is also friends with Grethchen."
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Hornet:
[Kirk McGlothlin]
HP: 2
LP: 2
"Right!", Thomas began, rubbing his hands together. "Cavern itself is ten, fifteen feet across, there's the emitter. Looks to be twenty feet back, right? Give or take?", he asked no one in particular.

Kirk was nodding his head silently in agreement, as he'd come to the same conclusion in his own calculations. Apparently their friend preferred to work things out loud.
"That would mean it extends into the walls another, say, fifteen feet. Blasting around it'd take almost as much time as blasting through it."
"Or digging around it from any direction either." Kirk added.
He paused to consider the options. In his home dimension, he could've simply side Stepped into Fifth or Sixth Harmonic to get around the barrier. The cosmology of this dimension, however, didn't support any Harmonics. I'll have to try a portal, he decided. A laser-like green glow surrounds Thomas' finger as he begins to draw a pattern in the air. As he finishes, it expands to a size large enough to walk through, showing the cave from the far side of the barrier, next to the emitter. Pleased with himself, Thomas steps through....
Kirk watched with interest in the magical display, as far as he cared magic was just a different kind of science. He knew there were rules as to what a mage could do, Kirk had learned that much from talks he'd had with Kris. To see a different magician in action was a chance to learn a little more about the subject.
And faceplants, as if he'd walked into a glass door.
Or not, it seems.
"The hell???", he mutters, rubbing his nose. Peering around the portal's side, he sees the exit next to emitter. Except the exit appears to only be about six inches across. Feeling around the 'surface' of the entrance he finds a 'hole' corresponding to the exit. Stretching his whole arm through, he still can't quite reach the emitter. Realizing this, he pulls back out, stands and straightens his coat. Turning to Hornet, he asks, "How small can you shrink?"
"Enough to use your portal." The shrinking hero answers before demonstrating. "Give me a minute to deal with Binder's power supply." Never bothering to return to his normal size, the bug-sized hero went right to work on disabling the device. Though he did make it a point to memorize the design of it, as Binder did have several good ideas in use in it, so much so that it was almost a shame that the Insect Avenger had to break it.

OOC:
Once Thomas gets the portal open, Hornet will go through and try to disable the emitter.

Hornet's Technology Check: _: 1D20+16 = [15]+16 = 31, that'll do it.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Glyph

Post by Glyph »

Prism
HP:2

”My friend,” Prism greeted Gretchen as the goblin handed Photon the phone, her tone a mixture of grim regret and leashed anger. ”I am ashamed to say I was too late to save anyone. The creatures responsible have been vanquished, but it feels like a hollow victory.”
She snatched the floating mask out of the air in frustration. ”Death gods and foul magics.” she spat. ” On my world such entities are shepherds to guide ones soul to the Light and their proper rest. This Anubis creature is either an agent of the Darkness, or an ineffectual god to allow such abominations.”
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Photon

"Former I think. And I am pretty sure there are the good kinds to. Norse have Valkyrie, not sure what Egyptians have," Colin responds.

He briefly wonders what the woman must think of him, being so nonchalant about the victims. People turned to zombies are usually killed first, at least all the ones he had dealt with in the past. He's never heard of any being saved before, so as soon as "zombie" was said - well he was already upset.
Kaisius

Post by Kaisius »

Magus Errant
Thomas Flynn
Hp: 2 Cond: Normal

Thomas nodded approvingly as Hornet worked to deactivate the emitter. Ah, he's actually studying it. Excellent! I think I'm going to like these fellows.
My Character Page
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Thomas, Hornet, Dragonfyre, Shock

Hornet slips easily through the somewhat snug opening in the fabric of space and time and ends up right next to a small pocket of space near the shield generator. Kirk once again has to admire the ingenuity Binder presents, the simplicity of form and function that is clearly a step ahead of the current generation.

Still Kirk is no slouch himself and after a few brief moments he figures out the right combination of buttons, switches, and wires to press, flip, or cut. The device wirrs and beeps, and then shuts down freeing the group to proceed as the wall blocking their progress disappears.

Somewhere down below the Ultimate's await along with any other sinister traps they may have set.

Yep easy peasy shut it down get a bit of insight on the devices functions as well for future reference and the four of you may proceed.

Quick Edit no need to spend a hp or anything Magus is good to go.
Last edited by catsi563 on Sat May 13, 2017 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Catsi stories