Proditor's Pad of Pop Culture and V&V. (NEW! Princess M'Krell and Singularity from Golden Heroes!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Proditor's Pad of Pop Culture and V&V. (NEW! Dr. Zin and his Spider Drones!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Huh, so that's where that Walking Eye in Venture Brothers came from. Was the Birdman crossover a thing from the cartoon, or these crossover comics?
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Proditor's Pad of Pop Culture and V&V. (NEW! Dr. Zin and his Spider Drones!)

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 8:54 am Huh, so that's where that Walking Eye in Venture Brothers came from. Was the Birdman crossover a thing from the cartoon, or these crossover comics?
The crossover comic, aka Future Quest. Though the HB cartoons did some actually crossovers as well. There was a Space Ghost series where the Council of Doom kept trying to kill him, only for another HB hero to come and help him out, such as Mightor or the Herculoids. Later in the 80s there would be a series called Space Stars that was built around having the various space heroes teaming up.

Here you go:

And just for fun, here's Race being awesome:

"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
proditor

Post by proditor »

NUMBER ONE

Number One - PL 5

Strength 2, Stamina 3, Agility 2, Dexterity 2, Fighting 6, Intellect 3, Awareness 2, Presence 4

Advantages
Assessment, Contacts, Equipment 9, Fascinate (Intimidation), Fascinate (Persuasion), Inspire 2, Luck 2, Minion, Set-up 3

Skills
Deception 4 (+8), Expertise: Criminal 5 (+8), Expertise: Current Events 2 (+5), Expertise: Espionage 3 (+6), Expertise: Streetwise 4 (+7), Insight 2 (+4), Intimidation 5 (+9), Investigation 2 (+5), Perception 2 (+4), Persuasion 4 (+8), Technology 2 (+5)

Equipment
Cell Phone (Smartphone), F.E.A.R. Secret HQ, Heavy Pistol

Offense
Initiative +2
Grab, +6 (DC Spec 12)
Heavy Pistol, +2 (DC 19)
Throw, +2 (DC 17)
Unarmed, +6 (DC 17)

Complications
Enemy: Birdman: The author of most of F.E.A.R.s losses is the solar-powered hero.

Enemy: Inter-Nation: This international organization continually clashes with F.E.A.R. and seeks to disrupt their machinations

Identity: Number One keeps his identity a closely guarded secret. Even I don't know who he is!

Motivation: Power: Number One wants to be Number One...of the WORLD!!!

Defense
Dodge 6, Parry 6, Fortitude 3, Toughness 3, Will 6

Power Points
Abilities 48 + Powers 0 + Advantages 21 + Skills 18 (35 ranks) + Defenses 8 = 95

-There's not a lot of development on Number One. He seems to be your typical Cobra Commander style villainous leader intent on ruling the world. Consequently, there's not a ton to the build either, he's basically a mid-tier spy type; either a retired Race style build, or someone who opted out of that end of the game before hitting the pinnacle, and who went into the desk bound world of administration.

-Number One could whoop up on his own minions, but any decent hero like Deva, Jade, or Race, is going to tear this guy a new one in seconds flat. His main skills are in directing others, and his advantages show years of doing just that. His strength is not personal, it is very much in the minions that serve him. Now that said, he also has access to some extreme super-science stuff. He doesn't haul it around the base, but should the need arise, and he has time to prepare, Number One could be sporting Jet boots, a Force Field, a laser gun, etc.

F.E.A.R. Secret HQ - PL 7

Toughness 14, Size Awesome

Features:
Communications, Computer, Concealed 2, Deathtraps, Dock, Fire Prevention System, Garage, Grounds, Gym, Hangar, Infirmary, Isolated, Laboratory, Library, Living Space, Personnel, Power System, Security System 2, Workshop

Power Points
Abilities 6 + Powers 0 + Advantages 0 + Features 21 + Skills 0 (0 ranks) + Defenses 4 + Equipment 0 (0 ep) + Weapons & Armor 0 (0 ep) = 31

F.E.A.R. MINION

F.E.A.R. Minion - PL 4

Strength 1, Stamina 2, Agility 1, Dexterity 1, Fighting 3, Intellect 0, Awareness 0, Presence 0

Advantages
Equipment 5

Skills
Athletics 1 (+2), Deception 2 (+2), Expertise: Criminal 4 (+4), Perception 1 (+1), Ranged Combat: Firearms Training 2 (+3), Technology 2 (+2), Vehicles 1 (+2)

Equipment
Commlink, Flash Goggles, Heavy Pistol, Knife, Submachine gun

Offense
Initiative +1
Grab, +3 (DC Spec 11)
Heavy Pistol, +3 (DC 19)
Knife, +3 (DC 17)
Submachine gun, +3 (DC 19)
Throw, +1 (DC 16)
Unarmed, +3 (DC 16)

Complications
Responsibility: To serve F.E.A.R.

Defense
Dodge 4, Parry 4, Fortitude 2, Toughness 2, Will 0

Power Points
Abilities 16 + Powers 0 + Advantages 5 + Skills 7 (13 ranks) + Defenses 4 = 32

-These are the guys that make our heroes look so good. Dropping in droves, their main advantage is numbers. They also can bring along some truly potent equipment if they know they might be facing certain enemies. For instance, when they knew there was a chance they could run into Birdman, they brought along some form of energy bazooka that basically did to him, what he did to the Battle Drones.
Last edited by proditor on Fri May 25, 2018 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skaramine

Re: Proditor's Pad of Pop Culture and V&V. (NEW! Number One and F.E.A.R.!)

Post by Skaramine »

Even Jayna sees the resemblance between Bird Man and Space Ghost.

A reply that got eaten earlier was I always felt that Mightor, Bird Man, and Space Ghost were one immortal being in three different eras of humanity, sort of regenerating like the Doctor.
The ATT member formerly known as both MorningKnight and Power-Glove.
Just call me Doug.
proditor

Re: Proditor's Pad of Pop Culture and V&V. (NEW! Number One and F.E.A.R.!)

Post by proditor »

BIRDMAN

Birdman - PL 10

Strength 8, Stamina 6, Agility 2, Dexterity 2, Fighting 6, Intellect 3, Awareness 3, Presence 2

Advantages
Benefit, Security Clearance 2: Inter-Nation Agent, Equipment 1, Favored Environment: Airborne, Improved Critical 2: Solar Blast: Damage 10, Interpose, Luck (Heroic Feat) 2, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Sidekick, Teamwork, Trance

Skills
Athletics 2 (+10), Close Combat: Unarmed 2 (+8), Expertise: Espionage 2 (+5), Expertise: History 7 (+10), Expertise: Sociology 4 (+7), Expertise: Theology 4 (+7), Insight 3 (+6), Perception 4 (+7), Ranged Combat: Solar Blast: Damage 10 2 (+4)

Powers
Alternate Form (Heroic) (Activation: Move Action)
. . Enduring: Enhanced Stamina 3 (+3 STA)
. . Force Field: Shapeable Area Protection 5 (+5 Toughness; Shapeable Area: 30 cft., DC 15, Impervious, Selective, Sustained; Limited: Self only, Max +4 TOU with one hand.)
. . Immunity to Light: Immunity 10 (Common Descriptor: light effects)
. . Multi-spectrum Vision: Senses 4 (Infravision, Tracking: Vision 2: full speed, Ultravision)
. . Solar Blast: Damage 10 (DC 25; Increased Range: ranged, Split: 2 targets; Limited: Max of +7 damage with one hand)
. . Super Strong: Enhanced Strength 5 (+5 STR)
. . Wings: Flight 8 (Speed: 500 miles/hour, 1 mile/round; Wings)
. . Instant Change: Feature 1 (Changes from Normal clothes to Birdman Costume)

Equipment
Commlink

Offense
Initiative +2
Grab, +6 (DC Spec 18)
Solar Blast: Damage 10, +10 (DC 25)
Throw, +8 (DC 23)
Unarmed, +8 (DC 23)

Complications
Enemy: F.E.A.R. Boy do they hate Birdman. They even have specialized anti-Birdman weapons.

Identity: Ray Randall: Alliterative archaeologist extraordinaire!

Motivation: Doing Good: Birdman is out to protect the world and all of the innocents in it.

Power Loss: If out of direct sunlight for too long, Birdman's powers can dissipate and he loses the use of his Heroic form.

Relationship: Avenger: Birdman appreciates the help from his winged companion, but he will go out of his way to protect him as well.

Responsibility: Inter-Nation Agent: Birdman is on the forefront of the battle against organizations like F.E.A.R. that try to destabilize or take over the world.

Defense
Dodge 9, Parry 9, Fortitude 7, Toughness 11, Will 6

Power Points
Abilities 48 + Powers 64 + Advantages 20 + Skills 15 (30 ranks) + Defenses 14 = 161

-Ray Randall was an archaeologist excavating a ruin in Egypt when he was gifted with the powers of the Sun by the ancient god Ra. Using them to help others as Birdman, Ray began to operate quietly behind the scenes. It wasn't long before he was noticed by a similar agency operating in the shadows: Inter-Nation. The agency supplied targets, and Birdman supplied the muscle. His profile however, is not one well suited to "quiet operations", and over time, he began to become something of an urban legend. Things changed more dramatically when Birdman and Inter-Nation began working with Team Quest to try and understand the portals that were opening all over the world. This brought them back into direct confrontations with one of Birdman's old enemies: F.E.A.R. Now alongside Team Quest, and a growing number of new heroes, Birdman is trying to do what he does best; save the world.

-There was always something almost painfully earnest about the original Birdman cartoons. The format was simple: Birdman would get contacted with his latest mission, he's fly off with Avenger to wreck house, a setback would occur (usually having to do with Birdman getting enough sunlight), Birdman would get more sunlight, asses would be copiously kicked. His handling in Future Quest has been interesting. He's clearly light years more powerful than even the best "normal" human in the group, and yet, he gets taken out by an energy bazooka wielded by Zin's men, and then a few issues later, by a giant pterodactyl. Now both times, he also was using double blasts pretty extensively, and in later issues, he uses his shield a lot more, which almost strikes me as them showing him learning "Yeah, I'm hell on wheels vs. norms, but playtime is apparently over, so I better use my shield too".

-The build is pretty straightforward; he's an extremely capable norm in the Indiana Jones mold who gets even more capable once he turns on his sun-fueled ass kicking powers. He can either be an extremely powerful but not especially durable blaster (Both hands in use for Blasts, TOU 6, DC25 damage) a durable blaster (One hand for each, TOU 11, DC22 damage) or just go full shielding and protect others with his area effect force field. They haven't really shown him use it as a battering ram yet, so I left that bit from the cartoons out for now.

AVENGER

Avenger - PL 5

Strength 1, Stamina 2, Agility 2, Dexterity 1, Fighting 6, Intellect -2, Awareness 2, Presence 2

Advantages
Evasion, Fast Grab, Grabbing Finesse, Improved Critical: Natural Weapons: Strength-based Damage 1, Improved Hold

Skills
Acrobatics 4 (+6), Athletics 4 (+5), Close Combat: Natural Weapons: Strength-based Damage 1 2 (+8), Expertise: Survival 8 (+6), Intimidation 4 (+4), Perception 6 (+8)

Powers
Animal Senses: Senses 3 (Extended: Vision 2: x100, Low-light Vision)
Bird-sized: Shrinking 4 (-1 STR, -2 Intimidate, +4 Stealth, +2 active defenses, -1 size rank)
Natural Weapons: Strength-based Damage 1 (DC 17, Advantages: Improved Critical)
Wings: Flight 6 (Speed: 120 miles/hour, 1800 feet/round; Wings)

Offense
Initiative +2
Grab, +6 (DC Spec 11)
Natural Weapons: Strength-based Damage 1, +8 (DC 17)
Throw, +1 (DC 16)
Unarmed, +6 (DC 16)

Complications
Disability: Avenger is a giant blue hawk. There are a lot of things he can't do without aid from Birdman.

Relationship: Birdman: Avenger is completely devoted to Birdman

Defense
Dodge 6, Parry 8, Fortitude 3, Toughness 2, Will 3

Power Points
Abilities 30 + Powers 19 + Advantages 4 + Skills 14 (28 ranks) + Defenses 4 = 71

-Avenger is a BIG bird. He's still "only" about 4 feet tall, but that makes him kinda massive for bluish hawk thing. The template is similar to an Eagle, but he's stronger, tougher, and more capable. In general, Avenger is going to mop up minions, and will serve as a decent distraction, but he is only PL5. In the comic, this is recognized as Birdman leaves Avenger behind a lot when he goes into combat.
Last edited by proditor on Fri May 25, 2018 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skaramine

Re: Proditor's Pad of Pop Culture and V&V. (NEW! BIRDMAN!)

Post by Skaramine »

Bird Man was the guy who got me, after some ten or so years tired of Hannah Barberra action heroes, back into those cartoons.

Hmm. He got his powers from Ra? Maybe THAT is the linking thread between the different era heroes.
Just call me Doug.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Those old Birdman cartoons were a lot of fun for me. Very simple and formulaic, but the formula worked. The bad guys usually always had a very different scheme each time, he went up a wide range of opponents, everything from robots to aliens to Bond villains to superpowered opponents. There was usually a point where he'd need to recharge, after which came a butt whuppin. But there was a simple, straightforward sincerity and fun that it had that's lacking from a show like, say, Justice League Action, which tries to emulate such things while also being somewhat deconstructive, such as poking fun at Batman: TAS (which I find nigh unforgivable).

In the comic, Birdman still seems like he's only just gotten into the "experienced" side of being a hero, no longer quite a rookie but not the super experienced hero of the cartoon. He's still something of an urban myth, and still has a bit to learn, while FEAR is starting to adapt technology specifically to counter him, such as that energy net which seemed designed to sap his solar power.

I like how the comic made it so that the wings were basically energy constructs, much like his solar shield, though his mask vanishing when he's low on power seems a bit weird. The redesign of his costume is pretty solid overall, but I think I would have just swapped the orange out entirely for yellow if they were going to make the black as prominent a color on the outfit as they did. It almost gets too busy with the yellow + red + orange + black + white wings combo.

As for Avenger, my personal head canon is that he likely started out as a "normal" pet eagle, but whatever gave Ray his powers also made Avenger bigger, stronger, able to fly fast enough to keep up with Birdman, and more intelligent.

And you know, I'm not sure we ever learned what "FEAR" stands for.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

So, on the subject of Hanna-Barbera heroes..Does anyone know what sorts of gadgets the Blue Falcon actually has? The only thing I've actually seen him use are the Batarang-ripoffs.
Skaramine

Post by Skaramine »

KorokoMystia wrote: Sat May 06, 2017 4:40 am So, on the subject of Hanna-Barbera heroes..Does anyone know what sorts of gadgets the Blue Falcon actually has? The only thing I've actually seen him use are the Batarang-ripoffs.
He's got a flying car, and he did build Dyno Mutt.
Just call me Doug.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Skaramine wrote: Sat May 06, 2017 4:41 am
KorokoMystia wrote: Sat May 06, 2017 4:40 am So, on the subject of Hanna-Barbera heroes..Does anyone know what sorts of gadgets the Blue Falcon actually has? The only thing I've actually seen him use are the Batarang-ripoffs.
He's got a flying car, and he did build Dyno Mutt.
And swing lines, but that's pretty much I can recall BF ever using.

BTW Proditor, these latest builds are really making me want to make a run to the local (30 minute drive) comic shop & pick up this series.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I'll also say that while I love the Jonny Quest intro/music, I equally love the Birdman one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alXW_hS0gSo

Ken

Post by Ken »

But, naturally, modern DC being what modern DC is had to %$@#ing change Birdman's costume.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
proditor

Post by proditor »

I'm glad the builds are stirring some creativity!

I'm sick today, but I'm hoping to get back to it tomorrow with some new builds.

In other news...

Future Quest is over. 12 issues and out. Allegedly, it will serve as the starter for the Hanna-Barbera universe, and I sincerely hope that's true. The last issue was fabulous, and even had the feels in a few places. Just truly solid stuff for 12 issues. I liked the run so much, I actually read the backstory in the Future Quest Annual that featured Top Cat.

There were some big revelations in the last issue and the Annual, and I may dip back to update Zin's story based on this new info.
proditor

Post by proditor »

I seem to have the plague, so I'm going to beg off for the week and try and pick up when I'm feeling better. I noticed some odds note I started taking while on a combo of fever and drugs, so I'm just gonna go watch some TV and veg for a bit.
RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

Get some rest and feel better. Again thank you for the great builds and inspiration to do a Hannah-barbara theme adventure.