Project Freedom DVD Commentary (?)

Where DMs can leave their notes, or ask other DMs for help with their game.
Shock

Re: Project Freedom DVD Commentary (?)

Post by Shock »

Arkrite wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:06 pm Yeah, I kind of regret that the game didn't get to go much longer. Fallout from that was going to be Zane largely retreating from most of the team.
I was going to see how long I could go without using the switchboard or any psychic powers around the team as well, due to the repeated poor reactions to it.
And of course, Zane would have seen that as a punishment for the rest of the team ;}
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Ha, yeah, that would be rich.

But I was figuring more of the "why buy the cow" approach. After all, withholding abilities that the team needs would be counterproductive and poor behavior on the player's part.
Waiting until they're asked for, on the other hand, might make people appreciate it more than they would if it was freely offered all the time.

But I doubt it, the end result is that everybody would just be happy that Zane was quiet for a change! ;~)
Davies

Post by Davies »

I'm fairly sure you would have needed to use the switchboard during your trip to Lockdown. Assuming they ever let Zane out of their version of the white room.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Ah, but the fun part would have been seeing if they were dealing with Zane after he got out of the room... or if they were dealing with the other personality.
Could have been fun to have the Zane personality in a catatonic state and see how long it took people to notice he wasn't acting normal.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Arkrite wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:52 am Ah, but the fun part would have been seeing if they were dealing with Zane after he got out of the room... or if they were dealing with the other personality.
Could have been fun to have the Zane personality in a catatonic state and see how long it took people to notice he wasn't acting normal.
Which would inevitably lead to "we like alternate personality Zane better. Bring him back!"
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Oh man, that would have been glorious! ;~)
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Davies wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:19 amAnd then it ended on a cliffhanger, and I went off for a two week sabbatical. I'm not sure if I should have started taking such breaks earlier and more frequently ... I don't know if it would have helped or hurt matters. Perhaps what was coming was inevitable. I'd like to think it wasn't, though.
It was something I never really noticed until after the fact, but there was a lot going on in this game, with multiple updates each day. Often every day of the week.
That's a lot of work!

I can only hope that it was largely enjoyable, but even then that's a lot to put on anyone's plate.

It might have been better to limit responses to certain days, take weekends off, and have a few weeks off between sessions.

A neat thing I found in some games that TM ran was that the players would do little short stories about events that happened between sessions allowing the players to go into adventures that likely wouldn't be touched on in the game, and offer up chances at character growth that might otherwise be missed due to the (delightfully) unpredictable nature of most games.

Edit: It was an interesting way to fill the time between sessions while the GM got a chance to rest.

Again, just like to say thanks for running the game as long as you did, it was a blast and boy did I love it.

Edit: So I forgot what I was talking about half way though a sentence. So what. I also need a chance to rest ;~)
Davies

Post by Davies »

Arkrite wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:03 am
I can only hope that it was largely enjoyable, but even then that's a lot to put on anyone's plate.
On the good days, it was probably one of the best experiences of my life.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Davies wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:12 am On the good days, it was probably one of the best experiences of my life.
This makes me happy to read. Sometimes you were hard for me to get a read on.

To echo what Arkrite said, going back, the volume and frequency of posts is astounding. I don't know how you kept up but I'm glad you did. It had to be one of those "right place, right time" things because I don't see how you could reproduce that with any certainty. How do you keep that many people on the internet reliable and consistent for so long?
Davies

Post by Davies »

Chap-- Ummm.

May 4, 2011 to June 1, 2011

And this was the one where I flaked out. I went over the reasons why I flaked out when I finally found the nerve to come back and try to explain why nobody'd heard a word from me for months. Understandably it's a little hard for me to review this chapter without that getting in the way.

The worst part is that, not unlike the guy who jumps off the bridge to escape all his troubles and realizes that those troubles have comparatively simple solutions when compared to the problem of surviving the fall, now that it's much too late, I can actually see ways that I could have used my discomfort writing Mallory in this situation to good effect, with her being a lot more shy around Donnie, with her running into Zalman (Jalinth even gave me a cue to put that in) or the Commander (who's scared of hurting another child) or ... well.

I think I was doing okay with Robin's luncheon with Herald Midas, and Charlie's theatre date with Trouble. (Not so much with Keller's honest attempt to have a straight-forward conversation with Zane.) I vaguely remember looking forward to see how many hints I could drop as to the identity of Trouble's swain (it's Daedelus by the way) before the penny dropped. That said, with all this happening and Charlie's later trip to visit her parents and the reveal of Wainwright's cancer ... I think that this was going to be the first really long downtime chapter, and that may have contributed to my unease.

Okay, time to find the positive in all this ... all that comes to mind is this piece of GM advice -- have an endgame in mind. It doesn't matter if you ever reach it. Odds are honestly pretty good that you won't! But having a long term plan gives you something to scheme towards. This particular game may have been inspired by a medium that runs low on definitive endings, but the books that are generally regarded as classics usually do have such, even if they're ambiguous ones. ("I leave it entirely in your hands", anyone?) And we should aspire to imitate those, even if we can't ever hope to achieve them.

Right. I'll be here more or less indefinitely to answer comments and questions.
Shock

Post by Shock »

I was enjoying Robin's lunch with Midas. Topics ranged from Omega to the election to sex with Zane and Savant (not at the same time :lol: ). And I was (still am) really curious as to where that conversation (and relationship) was going. It seemed like everyone who showed interest in spending time with Robin invariably ended up wanting something (probably a lesson there) and I was hoping Midas might turn out different. Like they could just be friends. And maybe even help each other, given their similar positions.

As for other characters, I was nervous about Charlie's reunion with her parents. I have no doubt that was going to be heart-wrenching in one way or another. And similarly for Donnie and Mallory. There were the first (I think) hints that something wasn't right with Wainwright, which we now know was a result of her cancer. Wainwright's conversation with Zane about her plans for the portal was interesting.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Shock wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 4:03 pm I was enjoying Robin's lunch with Midas. Topics ranged from Omega to the election to sex with Zane and Savant (not at the same time :lol: ). And I was (still am) really curious as to where that conversation (and relationship) was going. It seemed like everyone who showed interest in spending time with Robin invariably ended up wanting something (probably a lesson there) and I was hoping Midas might turn out different. Like they could just be friends. And maybe even help each other, given their similar positions.
Midas did want to be a good example to Robin as a leader, though whether her style of leadership (a fairly manipulative Master Planner style) would have been to Robin's taste was another question. Whatever plans she might have had, though, were put on hold after Robin dropped her bombshell -- the notion that anyone could fight Omega and not suffer heavy casualties in the process was a genuine stunner.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Davies wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 5:09 am And this was the one where I flaked out.
As I have flaked out after less than two weeks of trying to run a game? You're still lightyears better than I've ever been ;~)

The worst part is that, not unlike the guy who jumps off the bridge to escape all his troubles and realizes that those troubles have comparatively simple solutions when compared to the problem of surviving the fall, now that it's much too late, I can actually see ways that I could have used my discomfort writing Mallory in this situation to good effect, with her being a lot more shy around Donnie, with her running into Zalman (Jalinth even gave me a cue to put that in) or the Commander (who's scared of hurting another child) or ... well.
Live and learn, man, it's all we can do.
Believe me, I've got a few doozies myself that I'd rather not talk about.
Only other thing I could suggest in this case is just approaching the players in regards to it. It's possible that the other players might be able to puppet the NPC for you.
And in this case I'm sure TM could have shared his experiences, and Shock probably would have some ideas (though I believe his adorable little terrors are boys ;~) )
I think I was doing okay with Robin's luncheon with Herald Midas
I laughed so hard when I saw that.
"Hey, I'm the person who leads the people who tried to kill you and your team multiple times. Want to hang out?"
"Sure!" -Robin

I had no idea where that one was going, but I was just watching it waiting for Gomez Addams to hit the TNT and bring on the train wreck ;~)
A part of me was wondering if she was going to offer Robin that dagger that was no longer in use.

(Not so much with Keller's honest attempt to have a straight-forward conversation with Zane.)
I was having a great time with it, believe it or not. It was interesting and all sorts of awkward which just seemed appropriate all things considered.
I vaguely remember looking forward to see how many hints I could drop as to the identity of Trouble's swain (it's Daedelus by the way) before the penny dropped.
DAEDELUS!!! ::Shakes fist at sky::
That said, with all this happening and Charlie's later trip to visit her parents and the reveal of Wainwright's cancer ... I think that this was going to be the first really long downtime chapter, and that may have contributed to my unease.
You know at the time I missed the signs of Wainwright's illness, but looking back now I keep seeing them staring me in the face.
Okay, time to find the positive in all this ... all that comes to mind is this piece of GM advice -- have an endgame in mind. It doesn't matter if you ever reach it.
I'm really grateful you shared with us the endgame you had in mind.
It was a nice sense of closure to know where everybody would have ended up. Would it have been the end of their stories? No, but it would have been the end of a chapter of their lives that offered new beginnings, but would never be the same again.

And it just blew my mind that the game had an end in mind, and what it was. I won't lie, I had assumed that Wainwright would never really get to the point where she would actually lead people through the gate (and I suspect without the cancer she probably would have shied away rather than risking her new "family"). Yup, would have caught me completely flat footed.

And based off of what I've seen, I'd say that's some real good advice.
Even if you never get there it offers up an end goal, and even if the sessions don't all move towards it you can still have a common thread to drive the narrative.

Davies wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 5:09 amRight. I'll be here more or less indefinitely to answer comments and questions.
Well allow me to abuse the dickens out of that ;~)
I'm curious if you'd be willing to touch on some of the future adventures leading up to the finale, not in detail, but just some thoughts on major points you wanted to hit on, fallout you were expecting.
I mean, with players in the mix you can never really be sure how things are going to go, and some things take a life of their own, but just generally.

Because I've got a few questions that have been on my mind in regards to a paperweight and it's acting replacement...
Davies

Post by Davies »

Arkrite wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 1:15 am Well allow me to abuse the dickens out of that ;~)
I'm curious if you'd be willing to touch on some of the future adventures leading up to the finale, not in detail, but just some thoughts on major points you wanted to hit on, fallout you were expecting.
I mean, with players in the mix you can never really be sure how things are going to go, and some things take a life of their own, but just generally.

Because I've got a few questions that have been on my mind in regards to a paperweight and it's acting replacement...
Definitely. Ask away.

Let me start by saying that I was planning on having the Lockdown adventure come out of nowhere, making the players (most of them) think that this was really it and you were all going to jail forever. Charlie would have been in on the grift, as the cause was going to be her "punching" Bonham again. Then, once you were on the transport to Lockdown, Wainwright and Ritter would show up and explain the real story.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Arkrite wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 1:15 am
Davies wrote: ↑
Tue May 02, 2017 1:09 am
And this was the one where I flaked out.
As I have flaked out after less than two weeks of trying to run a game? You're still lightyears better than I've ever been ;~)
For what it's worth, I wouldn't have called it a "flake out". If anything, it just seemed like the fatigue of running a high paced game for so long finally caught up with you. As for my kids? At the time, my oldest was only 3. But now? The stories I could tell ;}
Arkrite wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 1:15 am I laughed so hard when I saw that.
"Hey, I'm the person who leads the people who tried to kill you and your team multiple times. Want to hang out?"
"Sure!" -Robin

I had no idea where that one was going, but I was just watching it waiting for Gomez Addams to hit the TNT and bring on the train wreck ;~)
A part of me was wondering if she was going to offer Robin that dagger that was no longer in use.
To be fair, Midas only signed off on one attack. The rest were at worst negligence on her part ;} Like I said already, I think Midas could have been a great friend, or at least ally, for Robin. Especially after her father went to prison and she ended up running the company. There's a lot of common ground there.