What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
Ken

Re: What's new with the big two: Marvel and DC Comics discussion thread.

Post by Ken »

Za-Sham!! With the foucs on "Sham"
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
danelsan

Post by danelsan »

Has anyone been reading Aquaman? How is it, in terms of writing? There is an upcoming arc to be drawn by Stejepan Sejic, so if the stories have been at least not bad, that is pretty close to a must buy for me.
Emerald_Flame300

Post by Emerald_Flame300 »

I have been reading the Justice League comic. Not a big fan.

The new Green Lantern series are good.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

I've largely been enjoying the DC Rebirth lineup-wide event, save for the absolutely ridiculous decision to push the Watchmen universe into the wider DC canon. There really is no excuse for this, and no legitimate reason, save for a naked cash grab because the characters are recognizable and the move ensures notoriety and publicity.

Seeing the return of the married Superman and Lois Lane, along with their super-son Jonathon Kent has been a real bright spot, along with the wonderfully fun pairing of "Superboy" with Damian "Robin" Wayne. Though I still miss Kon-El, who was essentially the Superboy of MY youth (though I am old enough to remember the closing years of the original Superboy of the LSH tales). Greg Rucka is doing yeoman's work on Wonder Woman again, though I still think less New 52 carry-over would be better-and DC needs to decide on what Etta Candy actually looks like and stick to it for awhile. Harley Quinn remains a fairy fun read, especially whenever the pre-52 Power Girl shows up in the book. In fact, I've been so pleased overall I can almost forgive the Batman writers for re-introducing Lady Shiva, the most irritating yet boring "major" villain EVER.

All my best.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Charles Soule has finally ended his run with the Inhumans. Marvel's attempt to make them huge has been a snark-drawing failure, but the book was usually quite good. Totally failed in "making new stars", though- the newbies were a little too generic. Medusa & Gorgon remain kind of like "Filler" to me, as well.

It was well-written, and I'll see where Al Ewing takes them, but I think I'm done collecting their book, now. MAYBE Trade-waiting- my pull list was getting to the point where I wasn't reading any of my OLD stuff!
Shock

Post by Shock »

Was that the one where Black Bolt bought a club and was brawling with random bad guys that should be way beneath him?
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Shock wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:14 pm Was that the one where Black Bolt bought a club and was brawling with random bad guys that should be way beneath him?
He owned an Inhumans-based club in New York, but I don't recall him brawling. He wasn't used terribly much in the overall story- it was more based around Medusa.
danelsan

Post by danelsan »

Huh. How did he bought it, I wonder...sure, he is or was royalty and thus likely rich, but how well does moon currency translates to dollars? Did he sold moon rocks on ebay or something XD?
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

greycrusader wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:56 pm I've largely been enjoying the DC Rebirth lineup-wide event, save for the absolutely ridiculous decision to push the Watchmen universe into the wider DC canon. There really is no excuse for this, and no legitimate reason, save for a naked cash grab because the characters are recognizable and the move ensures notoriety and publicity.
Allow me to play a game with you called "Devil's Advocate":
While i DO agree with you that The DC higher-up were doing the Watchmen Intro mostly for Money,Noteriety&Publicity, If(and admittedly it's a might big IF) they do this set-up Correctly we could be looking at some well done stories& a Mega Event that could hold it's own next to Crisis on Infinite Earth's in it's Ramification's...
to wit:
Batman-vs-Rorschach=if you planted him in Gotham,he could be the perfect counterpoint a major storyline against Batman(End's justify Means).Add to the fact that Kovack had allies/friends that were just as good(if not better Sociably)as him(Nite Owl&Silk Spectre)that were willing to go to almost the same level as him,and you could have some fantastic story moments...

Closing Arguments,anyone? :)
Ken

Post by Ken »

I think introducing Rorsach and Nite-Owl into a universe where Editorial ordered the deaths of Vic Sage and Ted Kord is just f---ing wrong.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Ken wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:40 pm I think introducing Rorsach and Nite-Owl into a universe where Editorial ordered the deaths of Vic Sage and Ted Kord is just f---ing wrong.
Co-f***ing-signed.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

as much as i want to defend their action's with the "Deaths" of Kord&Sage......I just can't do it.
Honestly,to me thought,it not that they killed them,it was HOW they died:Ted shot in the face by a Former Hero(which i think personally that Heel turn made NO Sense) when he refused to help him&Killing Sage off by "Cancerous Growth's" due to his Long exposure to his Chemicals then he took a bullet for Montez(who they did NOTHING with when she "Replaced" him as the New Question!)

This is why a part of me wants to go to New York&Flog both the DC&Marvel Editorial Staff with Rubber Chickens.....
RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

Could you imagine the magnificent stories that could be told using Vic Sage now. This political climate is rife with his style of storylines. Poor decision making,poor management and a total lack of respect to those two Characters.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

RUSCHE wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:05 pm Could you imagine the magnificent stories that could be told using Vic Sage now. This political climate is rife with his style of storylines. Poor decision making,poor management and a total lack of respect to those two Characters.
I concur.

At least Ted Kord has shown up in Rebirth acting as a mentor figure to Jamie Reyes which I think works for the character and at least gives us the chance of a Ted Kord adventures book. Of course now that I've said that, DC will probably kill Kord off to "mature" Reyes...
Formerly luketheduke86
Ken

Post by Ken »

Besides the fact that their deaths were just FUBAR, what I'm also referring to is that Nite-Owl *IS* the Blue Beetle and Rorshach *IS* the Question.

The whole "'The Watchmen' started as a pitch for "what to do with the Charlton heroes'" is pretty well known by now, so unless someone asks... But while some of the Watchmen characters were pretty radically changed (Dr. Manhattan isn't that similar to Captain Atom), but Dan Dreiberg and Archie being stand-ins for Ted Kord and the Bug are blatent. Same with Rorshach being based on the Question.

The whole notion of bringing the stand-ins into the DCU is just....