Riverdale

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
MissRo

Riverdale

Post by MissRo »

Has anyone been watching this? I was leery at first, but I find myself getting more and more into it. I see a lot of people comparing it to Twin Peaks, but it reminds me most of the early seasons of Pretty Little Liars. What do ya'll think of it?
Tattooedman

Re: Riverdale

Post by Tattooedman »

I've only seen the first couple episodes, more out of curiosity as to how the show writers would use the characters given they're loosely based on Archie comics. I couldn't say if it is comparable to Twin Peaks, since I've never seen it, though I do get the Pretty Little Liars vibe from it so far. I'm not 100% sure I like it or not, so I'll probably give it a couple more showings to decide.

Maybe I'm just the wrong age group to be watching.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
MissRo

Post by MissRo »

Nah, it's definitely strange. Every now and again I'll be getting really into it and then there'll be an Archie reference that just jars me out of the 'dark and mysterious' tone the show works so hard at setting up.
Ken

Post by Ken »

MissRo wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:30 pm Nah, it's definitely strange. Every now and again I'll be getting really into it and then there'll be an Archie reference that just jars me out of the 'dark and mysterious' tone the show works so hard at setting up.
Sounds like this could be a common issue. I mean it's Riverdale, so everything's Archie.

Everything's Archie. Archie's there. Betty's there; Veronica too. Reggie's there. Hey Juhghead's narrator too.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
MissRo

Post by MissRo »

Yeah, admittedly I'm not the biggest Archie fan or anything (the only real exposure I have to it is from the 90's cartoon), but the tone of the show is just so different from what my brain expects an Archie show to be. I guess I kind of 'forget' as I'm watching it, and then when it reminds me I find it kind of jarring. It's kind of like if they recast The Sopranos with The Muppet Babies.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Which explains why refrencing the 1960s cartoon theme song flew by.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
MissRo

Post by MissRo »

There are probably a lot of references in that show that I missed.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

MissRo wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:30 pm Nah, it's definitely strange. Every now and again I'll be getting really into it and then there'll be an Archie reference that just jars me out of the 'dark and mysterious' tone the show works so hard at setting up.
Ok, see that's where my head is the whole time I'm watching. I can't help but think about this is based on the Archie characters doing this stuff, of course all I ever read was the old comics (my extended family somehow always found the collected editions to give to me for gift giving holidays & birthdays knowing that I was into comics but not wanting to give me the overly-violent & sex-fueled [as they put it] "modern versions"). So it's constantly sticking out in my mind as I see it.

I get how the writers are going for a "modern" feel for the characters, and overall it isn't too bad. Though "jarring" does express the feeling I'm experiencing when watching.
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

i haven't had a chance to watch it,is it honestly any good?(i actually read Archie comics growing up&even drew a Mural from one of the books in French to get a Passing Grade in my French Class without having to do any of the Actual School work! :D )
MissRo

Post by MissRo »

MacynSnow wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:56 pm i haven't had a chance to watch it,is it honestly any good?(i actually read Archie comics growing up&even drew a Mural from one of the books in French to get a Passing Grade in my French Class without having to do any of the Actual School work! :D )
I'm still watching it, lol, so take from that what you will. It's well written, the actors were well cast for the most part, and the plot is interesting. You just have to get past the weirdness factor.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Still watching this, it's interesting to say the least. Not bad overall IMO.

Though it seems like those in control like to make the actor portraying Jason Blossom look creepy as hell in flashbacks.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Tattooedman wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:51 pm Still watching this, it's interesting to say the least. Not bad overall IMO.

Though it seems like those in control like to make the actor portraying Jason Blossom look creepy as hell in flashbacks.
i honestly think that's just the way he naturally looks.I think i remember him from somewhere before this.....
proditor

Post by proditor »

This show is my dirty secret addiction. Admittedly because part of me keeps hoping/fearing it's going to turn into Afterlife with Archie.
Hawk

Post by Hawk »

I enjoyed it myself.
MissRo

Post by MissRo »

Hawk wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:32 pm I enjoyed it myself.
I agree. Looking back on it, I'm looking forward to next season.