The Merge: Agents and Powers Chapter 2: Agents Abroad

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
kirinke

Re: The Merge: Agents and Powers Chapter 2: Agents Abroad

Post by kirinke »

Amy

"Hey, it's better than camp cooking out in the wilderness. The first time I cooked breakfast over an open flame, I burned the oatmeal and ruined the pot it was cooking in. Granted, I thought I would surprise my family by getting up early and cooking for them, but eh..." she told Lilly. "I've gotten better since then. But boy, did I get a scolding from my dad when I did that and then I was taught the proper way to cook on a campfire." she shrugged. "Hey, I was six."
Kirinke's Compendium of Wondrous Creatures
Kirinke's Conversions (D&D Items to M&M3E Rules)

Battle Init
Viv: 24
Ren:22
Peekaboo: 20
Deutschritter: 19
Amy: 15
Angrboda: 15
Adeleth: 14
Thugs: 12
Lilly: 7
Alma: 5
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

After some searching, you end up at " Hummels", a new and small eatery that serves traditional German dishes, some X-D foods like Latverian fried chicken or Mulgore spiced bread. They also, for those with bigger stomachs, serve Troll-sized portions without bleeding your wallet dry. Unsurprising, there are a couple of larger persons eating there, among them a troll and a huge-bellied ogre.
The person behind the counter is a scarred man in his late 30s who looks like he would be at home on any battlefield in mankind's rough history.
Behind him on the wall, a lasgun is mounted above the line " Lass es einfach" (" Just...don't").
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Amy

The girl happily order the Bavarian Hunter's Beef Stew, soda and German Bread/jam as well as something her pokemon could eat. The pokemon are neat and mannerly, perhaps even more so than your average young child.

Battle Init
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

kirinke wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:48 am "I've gotten better since then. But boy, did I get a scolding from my dad when I did that and then I was taught the proper way to cook on a campfire." she shrugged. "Hey, I was six."
"Six what?" asks Lilly, slightly confused. Then stops. "Oh, six of your Earth years. I understand. All I can cook are Apokaliptican lizards and rodents on a stick over a fire. Though 'cook' might be overstating it compared to Earth foods. So I do not believe I am in any position to criticise the cooking skills of anyone else. And I have fortunately not had to do such a thing since I arrived on your planet. There was no need."

--

When they get to Hummels, Lilly orders the Hasenpfeffer (rabbit stew) with a large pretzel on the side, a large glass of their most expensive beer to wash it down with, and some black forest gateau to finish off with. Which is quite a lot of food for someone as physically small as Lilly, but she seems to cope without difficulty...

She eats ... carefully ... like someone who is in no way familiar with cutlery, in a quick and cautious fashion, as if she half expects someone to try and steal it from her.
Last edited by Tony Jones on Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Amy

"Don't knock it. During some survival courses I took out in Utah, we had to trap rodents like pack-rats, snakes and lizards for food. Locusts as well are kinda tasty with wild honey." she said. "And back up in Alaska fire roasted squirrel and squirrel stew was good eating."
Last edited by kirinke on Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Battle Init
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

"I did not know people on your world ate such things too," comments Lilly. "Perhaps they do not eat them in Essen?"
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Amy

"It really depends on the culture of the area you're talking about and on the situation you're in. But yeah, there is a long tradition of eating various kinds of rodents like squirrels, guinea pigs, nutria, lizards and such in certain parts of the world." she said. "Maybe when this is over, I'll take you camping and teach you how to hunt, forage and fish." she smiled at the other girl. "I've gotten alot better at camp cooking since I was six, I can safely say." she said as she busily ate her food. "Most of what I personally hunt are small game, easy enough to kill with a sling or blow-dart gun or fish and foraging for wild edibles like berries, greens and nuts are pretty popular no matter what the culture. You just gotta make sure you're obeying the local laws when hunting or fishing or foraging."

ooc
Amy does have Expertise: Survival 8. So it would make sense for her to take those kinds of courses as well as being taught by her family to take care of herself in the woods.
Last edited by kirinke on Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Battle Init
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

"That might be pleasant," replies Lilly, with a brief smile in return. "I could in return teach you how to survive the streets in the Apokaliptican style as I did before I was recruited by the Ministry, but I suspect you might enjoy that rather less..."

OOC: Whereas Lilly has self-taught Expertise: Urban Survival 8, which lets her do the above...
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Amy

The girl chuckled. "Eating my first pack rat was an experience, let me tell you. I didn't enjoy it at all, but once you got used to the idea, it wasn't that bad and certain types of wilderness I will never enjoy, like jungles. They're a different beast entirely from temperate and taiga forests." she shook her head. "I swear to Arceus, everything in a jungle wants to kill and eat you." Amy said with a grin. "I suspect Urban survival is just as fraught, depending on the city and where you are in the city."

ooc
I've never had squirrel, lizard or rat personally. I've had frog-legs, snake, bear, various kinds of fish, shell-fish, rabbit, wild birds (turkey, quail and duck), deer, wild boar, elk and fried gator (kinda chewy). All of which were excellent eating. I've also had freeze dried cricket (Crunchy, but otherwise kinda tasteless).

If the dude behind the counter is listening and is a soldier, he'd probably agree with her. :lol:

Battle Init
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

"I know very little about your different kinds of wilderness, just what is close to Essen and a little of the green spaces in Berlin. And what I have seen on televisions in shop windows, I suppose. It sounds like they differ a great deal. I cannot compare any of it to Apokalips because there is no wilderness there, just city, almost all of it the slums of the Hunger Dogs."
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Amy

The girl nodded. "As different as night and day and every kind of wilderness, from the tundra to the jungle has it's own uniqueness to it and you need different survival techniques for the various kinds of environment you're in." She said as she spread some butter and jam on her bread and ate it contemplatively. "Even jungles, deadly as they are, have their own beauty to them. I remember one particular waterfall down in Belize that was so beautiful, it took my breath away."

Battle Init
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

"I'm curious, Amy," Adeleth says. "How have you traveled to so many places at such a young age? I don't doubt you. Independent wealth, I'm guessing?"
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Amy

"More like a series of misadventures with a series of equally unlikely companions." Amy grinned back at her. "I mean, hell, last year I got jacked by Predators and drop-parachuted onto Venus along with an ex evil lawyer, a mandalorian, a Manticoran officer, a really nice cat-lady and a Dark Eldar." she chuckled. "They were actually a great group of people, I couldn't have made it out of there alive without them. Needless to say we lived and kicked Predator ass."

"My whole adventuring life started out with me meeting a nice drow elf lady by the name of Kar-Anna in Toronto. My folks and I were visiting family...." she said as she told some of the various adventures, noodle incidents and odd situations she had gotten into over the past four years and finished with.

"Things seem to just happen to me. My ma calls me a walking trouble magnet." she smiled a little. "Plus, being a healer with an area heal means that I'm always in demand for various adventuring groups, so I get paid well enough for that." she noted.

"So mostly, outside of literally falling into adventures and trouble, I work my way around the world, taking jobs as I can. With my particular talents and skill-set, I can always find something that pays enough to live okay and send something back to my family and save a bit for college." she said.

"In between jobs like this, I can always find work at zoos, hospitals and vet clinics for example. If I'm not living in government housing like at the Ministry, I stay at the local youth hostels or temples in exchange for work. I also like camping, so I do that too." she told Adeleth. "It's not a bad way to earn a living really."

ooc
It'd make a sort of sense really for her to work her way around places when she's not being dropped on them against her will. Healers, spiritualists and translators are always in demand. Coupled with her pokemon and she'd be a right valuable asset to any party or a town with problems like ghost pokemon or other similar issues.
Last edited by kirinke on Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Battle Init
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Lilly listens interestedly to Amy and Adeleth's conversation.

"Your world is really vastly more diverse than dread Apokalips," she comments. "But then I suppose it has not been crushed under the iron heel of grim Darkseid for its entire existence, and not had its whole surface turned into the hideous Armaghetto..."

She considers for a moment.

"On your television programmes they sometimes show the ocean. Is that real? If so, where does all the water come from?!"
Last edited by Tony Jones on Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

"The surface of the Earth is 70% water," Adeleth says, "Although that might have changed after the Merge. We did gain some land mass it seems."